REPORT: Celtics "Most likely destination" for Russell Westbrook

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,438

Re: REPORT: Celtics "Most likely destination" for Russell Westbrook 

Post#321 » by zimpy27 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:46 am

mademan wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
mademan wrote:Simmons/anderson and 40 year old Tony Parker for Westbrook. Now ive heard it all

I just see Westbrook seeing Spurs as a very suitable long-term destination given the way they are setup. He may sign there regardless after the next season.

Spurs could give Murray and picks but I don't see the hate for Simmons and Anderson. I also think the Manu signing was a tad suspicious for 1 year considering the size of the contract matches WB perfectly (though spurs are loyal and it could be reward for taking less in the past).

Youre talking about trading a top 5 player in the NBA for a mediocre starting PG and 3 players who have never played meaningful minutes in the NBA.

Howard was top 5 and went to Lakers when they gave up injured Bynum and a first-round protected 4 years later.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
OsuCavsfan103
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,047

Post#322 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:47 am

Unless Boston was able to get Westbrook for next to nothing, honestly this trade would not worry me all that much. BOS would be a solid team sure, but not someone I'd fear....
Death and Taxes
Freshman
And1: 26

Post#323 » by Death and Taxes » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:57 am

OsuCavsfan103 wrote:Unless Boston was able to get Westbrook for next to nothing, honestly this trade would not worry me all that much. BOS would be a solid team sure, but not someone I'd fear....

Westbrook v. LeBron
Horford v. Kevin Love
Isaiah v. Kyrie
Amir Johnson v. Tristan Thompson.

It'd be a fun series, Especially if they could manage to keep Jaylen Brown.
kc11
Sophomore
And1: 128

Post#324 » by kc11 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:12 pm

clippertown wrote:
kc11 wrote:
clippertown wrote:It doesnt seem like a garbage deal - it is a garbage deal.

Clippers want both BRK picks plus an asset significant enough to get Rudy Gay. Otherwise, no deal will get done with Boston.

well, I want a red ferrari and a brunette with big naturals but I won´t get it (at least not the red ferrari...)

the point is there is absolutely no rush for Celtics to make that trade, but griffin hitting free agency next summer is a cold hard fact.
so, you can get something in return or get nothing at all (case durant). Celtics on the other side stay patient, keep the whole core, draft high in ´17 thanks to brooklyn and try to get Griffin, Westbrook, Hayward etc. via free agency, with no extra costs involved.

one more time, for Celtics if no trade: keep Bradley, Thomas, Crowder etc. + ´17 lottery pick (Josh Jackson, Harry Giles, Markelle Fultz, Jonathan Isaac, Jayson Tatum etc.) + very good odds to land another big free agent (Griffin, Westbrook, Hayward etc.).

Obviously, no trade gets down without an extension. Lets just assume Griffin decides to offer that extension - how does the deal look then? A re-signed Griffin would be a bargain for Boston in my opinion, even if it cost both picks.

sure, with an extension Griffin is absolutely worth both picks.

but then again when you consider the whole picture and the fact that warriors and cavs will probably dominate next 1-3 years, you should ask yourself is Griffin together with the current Celtics core good enough to beat those teams? maybe... but to be honest, even with the extension, I'd rather keep these picks and build for the future.
clippertown
Veteran
And1: 928

Post#325 » by clippertown » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:04 pm

kc11 wrote:
clippertown wrote:
kc11 wrote:
well, I want a red ferrari and a brunette with big naturals but I won´t get it (at least not the red ferrari...)

the point is there is absolutely no rush for Celtics to make that trade, but griffin hitting free agency next summer is a cold hard fact.
so, you can get something in return or get nothing at all (case durant). Celtics on the other side stay patient, keep the whole core, draft high in ´17 thanks to brooklyn and try to get Griffin, Westbrook, Hayward etc. via free agency, with no extra costs involved.

one more time, for Celtics if no trade: keep Bradley, Thomas, Crowder etc. + ´17 lottery pick (Josh Jackson, Harry Giles, Markelle Fultz, Jonathan Isaac, Jayson Tatum etc.) + very good odds to land another big free agent (Griffin, Westbrook, Hayward etc.).

Obviously, no trade gets down without an extension. Lets just assume Griffin decides to offer that extension - how does the deal look then? A re-signed Griffin would be a bargain for Boston in my opinion, even if it cost both picks.

but then again when you consider the whole picture and the fact that warriors and cavs will probably dominate next 1-3 years, you should ask yourself is Griffin together with the current Celtics core good enough to beat those teams? maybe... but to be honest, even with the extension, I'd rather keep these picks and build for the future.

You don't win championships by waiting for the best teams to crumble. How many teams waited for SAS to decline only to realize that was never going to happen. Real winners grab the bull by the horns and earn that ring.

Griffin has 10 years left in this league. That's 10 years of benefit if you can convince him that your team is serious about winning. Or it could be 10 years of mediocrity if you never take any chances. All teams have to make that choice at some point in time.
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#326 » by richboy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:00 am

I don't know if this has been said but I don't think the Celtics own the Nets pick next year. I believe they have the right to switch picks with the Nets next year. Which would be drastically different in a scenario where they use that as a big part of a deal. OKC without Westbrook may not be much better than Brooklyn. If they switched picks it may only move them a few spots in the draft if at all.

I actually think the team that will make a strong push for RW is Miami. They would have to give up Winslow and Goran. Probably a few picks. They are the one team that I could see not afraid to trade for RW. They are a destination city. If Bosh is healthy with RW and Whiteside they could challenge the Cavs. If Bosh can't play I believe they could stretch and cut him and make a run at Blake Griffin. Either way Miami seems like the best fit for Westbrook.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,386

Post#327 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:18 am

richboy wrote:I don't know if this has been said but I don't think the Celtics own the Nets pick next year. I believe they have the right to switch picks with the Nets next year. Which would be drastically different in a scenario where they use that as a big part of a deal. OKC without Westbrook may not be much better than Brooklyn. If they switched picks it may only move them a few spots in the draft if at all.

2017= pick Swap. 2018= Boston owns picks
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
kc11
Sophomore
And1: 128

Post#328 » by kc11 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:19 am

clippertown wrote:
kc11 wrote:
clippertown wrote:Obviously, no trade gets down without an extension. Lets just assume Griffin decides to offer that extension - how does the deal look then? A re-signed Griffin would be a bargain for Boston in my opinion, even if it cost both picks.

You don't win championships by waiting for the best teams to crumble. How many teams waited for SAS to decline only to realize that was never going to happen. Real winners grab the bull by the horns and earn that ring.

Griffin has 10 years left in this league. That's 10 years of benefit if you can convince him that your team is serious about winning. Or it could be 10 years of mediocrity if you never take any chances. All teams have to make that choice at some point in time.

it´s not just about making choices, it´s about be patient and making smart choices.
let´s take okafor as an example - do you think his price is still the same as it was one day before draft ´16?
if clippers are ready to trade Griffin and he wants to be traded (very possible after being shopped around for couple months), his price won´t be the same at the trade deadline. Celtics have enough time, we can wait.
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#329 » by richboy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:20 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
richboy wrote:I don't know if this has been said but I don't think the Celtics own the Nets pick next year. I believe they have the right to switch picks with the Nets next year. Which would be drastically different in a scenario where they use that as a big part of a deal. OKC without Westbrook may not be much better than Brooklyn. If they switched picks it may only move them a few spots in the draft if at all.

That is my issue. Your trading RW and for it to work out you need Brooklyn to suck for 2 more years straight. In a terrible conference where 35 wins is not that hard to do. Just switching picks with them next year isn't that much value when the Thunder likely be a lottery team themselves with Westbrook.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
ratrac
Sixth Man
And1: 706

Post#330 » by ratrac » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:43 am

richboy wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

That is my issue. Your trading RW and for it to work out you need Brooklyn to suck for 2 more years straight. In a terrible conference where 35 wins is not that hard to do. Just switching picks with them next year isn't that much value when the Thunder likely be a lottery team themselves with Westbrook.

You got one thing wrong - OKC wouldn't be switching their own pick with the Nets, they would be switching Boston's pick (so what they are trading for really is Boston's pick with the optionality to switch with the Nets).
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Return to The General Board