REPORT: Celtics "Most likely destination" for Russell Westbrook

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

TommyPoints
Head Coach
And1: 4,146

Re: REPORT: Celtics "Most likely destination" for Russell Westbrook 

Post#261 » by TommyPoints » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:24 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
clippertown wrote:
HotTubMike wrote:
So you're suggesting the Clippers trade a franchise top 10 player + their best role player and get back 3 role players and maybe a late 1st?

Seems like a garbage deal to me.

It doesnt seem like a garbage deal - it is a garbage deal.

Clippers want both BRK picks plus an asset significant enough to get Rudy Gay. Otherwise, no deal will get done with Boston.

No team is going to give up a top five pick, let alone what could be two high lottery picks for a one year rental. How does that make any sense? Mello in his prime didn't even get that with much more left on his contract.

This. He is going to be disappointed if a trade happens.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,476

Post#262 » by Patsfan1081 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:33 pm

KrazySixersD wrote:Celtic fans are funny to me...

Anyways the sixers have all those player assets but also their own 1st round pick, next tears lakers top 3 protected pick, and swap rights with sacramento which is likely again going to be a really high pick... okafor or noel have higher value than marcus smart or olinyck.. thats just a fact.. the sixers have more to offer than boston IMO, but I wouldnt trade for westbrook unless he signs immediately with us... simmons is going to play PG for us in the near future, so the front court isnt quite as jammed as some think, saric can play the 3 as does covington.. that leaves noel, embiid, okafor at the 4 and 5 to rotate.. if simmons does eventually play PG, we arent as crowded as thought especially with embiid being an unknown.

You say Philly has their own pick then you say they have the Kings swap rights that will be a high pick which makes no sense, you can't have both and the Kings swap has a very small chance of going through. The Nets are picked to be a worse team than both the Lakers and Sixers, neither Okafor or Noel could pull in a top five pick in this years draft and Philly isn't going to be a playoff team(not attractive to Westbrook). Philly isn't close to a landing spot for him. Crazy attempt at Olynyk also(who isn't close to a top asset for Boston).
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 20,681

Post#263 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:54 am

To be clear, Ibaka is an expiring role player who just brought back a very high potential young player who was a recent top 5 pick, a lotto pick, and a vet.

People are delusional if they think all stars are getting traded for pennies. Maybe your team won't trade what it takes, but that means your team won't be getting that player.
patman52
Lead Assistant
And1: 848

Post#264 » by patman52 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:05 am

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:To be clear, Ibaka is an expiring role player who just brought back a very high potential young player who was a recent top 5 pick, a lotto pick, and a vet.

People are delusional if they think all stars are getting traded for pennies. Maybe your team won't trade what it takes, but that means your team won't be getting that player.

You got a guy in dip that will cost you 25 mill after this year and the 14th pick in the draft. Big deal. It was a very nice trade as you traded expiring picks and got the 14th player in the draft. But It wasn't as if the Magic was going to match a max offer for him next june or that he has three years left on his deal.
HotTubMike
Veteran
And1: 4,166

Post#265 » by HotTubMike » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:25 am

If the Celtics don't want to pay the price for a top 10 player then obviously they can make a run at them in FA but so will 25 other teams... It's not like anyone is dying to play with Al Horford + young pieces...
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 20,681

Post#266 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:35 am

patman52 wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:To be clear, Ibaka is an expiring role player who just brought back a very high potential young player who was a recent top 5 pick, a lotto pick, and a vet.

You got a guy in dip that will cost you 25 mill after this year and the 14th pick in the draft. Big deal. It was a very nice trade as you traded expiring picks and got the 14th player in the draft. But It wasn't as if the Magic was going to match a max offer for him next june or that he has three years left on his deal.

It was the 11th pick and the rest was just rambling.

Guess we will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TommyPoints
Head Coach
And1: 4,146

Post#267 » by TommyPoints » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:28 am

HotTubMike wrote:If the Celtics don't want to pay the price for a top 10 player then obviously they can make a run at them in FA but so will 25 other teams... It's not like anyone is dying to play with Al Horford + young pieces...

The price for a top 10 player isn't always the same. There are a lot of factors at play. Nobody is going to overpay for a one year rental. Personally I'm happy to stand pat or make a smaller trade or 2. The draft picks we have can be very important going forward and making a short sighted trade makes little sense.
JB2
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,073

Post#268 » by JB2 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:02 am

clippertown wrote:
HotTubMike wrote:
JB2 wrote:
fine then send them the Memphis pick and give them back their own.. or one or the other.

Clippers played better without Griffin and that lineup is very well balanced

So you're suggesting the Clippers trade a franchise top 10 player + their best role player and get back 3 role players and maybe a late 1st?

Clippers want both BRK picks plus an asset significant enough to get Rudy Gay. Otherwise, no deal will get done with Boston.

Top 10 player who the teams plays better without. Yet you get an all star, and 2 very very good starters who fit perfect.

I get it. Trading a star and not getting an equal star but this deal is not that far off.

IF your best role player is such a hold up, then keep him.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,963

Post#269 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:06 am

I simply don't believe Celtics rumors anymore. Ainge wants X star so he leaks that there are talks. Ainge doesn't want to pay sticker so a trade doesn't happen. It's not even that entertaining at this point.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
sharkeisha
Sophomore
And1: 153

Post#270 » by sharkeisha » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:08 am

blows my mind why they didn't take dunn....would have so much easier trading for russ with him.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#271 » by Daddy 801 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:53 am

Kordic27 wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:
Kordic27 wrote:
No matter how bad they are, I think the majority of FAs still look at the likes of LA, Miami, NYC as desirable destinations. Just like you or I would. Nobody outside top FA destinations should put any real bid in for Westbrook.

I know I'm not a 27 millionaire black male, but I've traveled to just about every major city and L.A. does not appeal to me. Some people believe it or not like more chill cities and lifestyles. Kobe and Duncan epitomize the cities they were from and I really liked a lot of Texas cities when I was on tour. Not to mention the major cities are usually democratically run and rape people on taxes. If I was a player I would rather go to Miami, Oakland, Portland, Charlotte, over L.A. or NY. I realize I'm in the minority.

I haven't been to all NBA cities, but I've been to a bunch. I love Toronto, but if I was a twenty something multi-millionaire, I'd have to go to NYC or LA (And I don't even like LA - but with tons and tons of money I can see it being really fun). I think most players looks at:

- weather
- taxes
- nightlife/size
- winning
- home (pro/con)

not in that order necessarily, but I do think that weather and size play a big factor. Some NBA cities seem so small you wouldn't even know where to spend your millions...

If weather and taxes are top priority then you would go to Miami and any team in Texas over N.Y., Chicago, Boston, and even L.A..
Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,946

Post#272 » by Drax » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:24 am

sharkeisha wrote:blows my mind why they didn't take dunn....would have so much easier trading for russ with him.

I've seen this argument by fellow Celtics fans, why? Isn't the point guard spot the deepest position in the league? Finding a capable small foward is much harder in the small ball era and the Celtics have potentially two of them now in Crowder and Brown. As trade assets i think it's easier to trade Crowder (as a win now piece) or Brown (rebuilding piece) then a point guard in Dunn.
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#273 » by Throwback24 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:30 pm

Drax wrote:
sharkeisha wrote:blows my mind why they didn't take dunn....would have so much easier trading for russ with him.

I've seen this argument by fellow Celtics fans, why? Isn't the point guard spot the deepest position in the league? Finding a capable small foward is much harder in the small ball era and the Celtics have potentially two of them now in Crowder and Brown. As trade assets i think it's easier to trade Crowder (as a win now piece) or Brown (rebuilding piece) then a point guard in Dunn.

Other teams also have to see it that way, if the redraft was redone with anyone else having the #3 pick I can't see Brown being selected.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

REPORT: Celtics "Most likely destination" for Russell Westbrook 

Post#274 » by Double Helix » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:36 pm

Boston could put together an elite package. If they offered OKC:

I.T.
Jaylen Brown.
Jae Crowder

That would be a hard offer for Presti to turn down for an OKC market place that they will likely want to reinvigorate with a mix of upside long-term while still winning a bunch of games. I think their market is too fragile still to switch from losing two superstars like that to an immediate tank effort that could last 3 or more seasons. That kind of whiplash would be hard on even established markets but this whole thing is new for OKC so I won't be surprised if Presti's mandate from ownership is to secure long-term assets with star potential but also some win-now types regardless.

BOS would need assurances Westbrook wanted to be a Celtic long-term with Horford though.
kc11
Sophomore
And1: 128

Post#275 » by kc11 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:51 pm

clippertown wrote:
HotTubMike wrote:
JB2 wrote:
fine then send them the Memphis pick and give them back their own.. or one or the other.

Clippers played better without Griffin and that lineup is very well balanced

well, I want a red ferrari and a brunette with big naturals but I won´t get it (at least not the red ferrari...)

the point is there is absolutely no rush for Celtics to make that trade, but griffin hitting free agency next summer is a cold hard fact.
so, you can get something in return or get nothing at all (case durant). Celtics on the other side stay patient, keep the whole core, draft high in ´17 thanks to brooklyn and try to get Griffin, Westbrook, Hayward etc. via free agency, with no extra costs involved.

one more time, for Celtics if no trade: keep Bradley, Thomas, Crowder etc. + ´17 lottery pick (Josh Jackson, Harry Giles, Markelle Fultz, Jonathan Isaac, Jayson Tatum etc.) + very good odds to land another big free agent (Griffin, Westbrook, Hayward etc.).
Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,946

Post#276 » by Drax » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:55 pm

Throwback24 wrote:
Drax wrote:

Other teams also have to see it that way, if the redraft was redone with anyone else having the #3 pick I can't Brown being selected.

Oh i'm not suggesting that Brown will be an awesome player or better than Dunn, but just gernerally speaking i think it is really interesting that some people think Dunn is so much more valuable than Brown. Both haven't done anything in the NBA yet but Brown is three years younger and plays a position (small forward) that is hard to fill, does that not factor into trade value?
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford
Fantaxp7
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,592

Re: REPORT: Celtics 

Post#277 » by Fantaxp7 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:01 pm

Double Helix wrote:Boston could put together an elite package. If they offered OKC:

I.T.
Jaylen Brown.
Jae Crowder

That would be a hard offer for Presti to turn down for an OKC market place that they will likely want to reinvigorate with a mix of upside long-term while still winning a bunch of games. I think their market is too fragile still to switch from losing two superstars like that to an immediate tank effort that could last 3 or more seasons. That kind of whiplash would be hard on even established markets but this whole thing is new for OKC so I won't be surprised if Presti's mandate from ownership is to secure long-term assets with star potential but also some win-now types regardless.

BOS would need assurances Westbrook wanted to be a Celtic long-term with Horford though.

I'd swap either Brown or Crowder with the 18 pick because shipping those two out would create a big whole at SF.

In the end though no matter what we do we are in a nice situation. Those picks are looking very promising.

The only potential issue is our current talent aging.
H20FAN
Bench Warmer
And1: 389

Post#278 » by H20FAN » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:39 pm

Do the Celtics have enough to to trade for both Westbrook and Blake? We might be looking at the new Boston big 3
They call me hadoken because i'm down right fierce
clippertown
Veteran
And1: 928

Post#279 » by clippertown » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:04 pm

kc11 wrote:
clippertown wrote:
HotTubMike wrote:

well, I want a red ferrari and a brunette with big naturals but I won´t get it (at least not the red ferrari...)

the point is there is absolutely no rush for Celtics to make that trade, but griffin hitting free agency next summer is a cold hard fact.
so, you can get something in return or get nothing at all (case durant). Celtics on the other side stay patient, keep the whole core, draft high in ´17 thanks to brooklyn and try to get Griffin, Westbrook, Hayward etc. via free agency, with no extra costs involved.

one more time, for Celtics if no trade: keep Bradley, Thomas, Crowder etc. + ´17 lottery pick (Josh Jackson, Harry Giles, Markelle Fultz, Jonathan Isaac, Jayson Tatum etc.) + very good odds to land another big free agent (Griffin, Westbrook, Hayward etc.).

Obviously, no trade gets down without an extension. Lets just assume Griffin decides to offer that extension - how does the deal look then? A re-signed Griffin would be a bargain for Boston in my opinion, even if it cost both picks.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,685

Post#280 » by DowJones » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:06 pm

kc11 wrote:
clippertown wrote:
HotTubMike wrote:

Wait..why are you trying to pretend that Blake will leave LA in free-agency? LA can offer him the most and he loves LA. He isn't leaving unless LA opts for someone else.

Now that 2nd part is interesting. Maybe LA wants to get some low-cost asset for 2017. That frees up enough money for LA to keep CP3 and go after LeBron or Durant.

-Rudy Gay makes LA competitive for 2016/2017 while being off the books next summer
-Crowder gives them a low-cost/role player
-2017 BKN pick is either kept or teased for another low-cost player
-Frees up enough room to sign Paul and LeBron/Durant for near-max value

It is risky but who knows.

Return to The General Board