REPORT: Celtics "Most likely destination" for Russell Westbrook

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,545

Re: REPORT: Celtics "Most likely destination" for Russell Westbrook 

Post#281 » by MemphisX » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:08 pm

Boston does not have particularly attractive assets to trade a superstar for at this time since all of their players are pretty meh and likely products of their system.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
KrisPol
Junior
And1: 350

Post#282 » by KrisPol » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:10 pm

If i were a Celtics fan i am not sure that Westbrook would be the player that i would go for when looking for a superstar to fill that team. While Westbrook's games these playoffs amazed me, i still don't see him as a system player, i think Griffin or Durant would fit there much better. I think Russ works best when he as all the freedom and no limitations, where he can just run, do whatever he wants to do, play uptempo. In a half court sets his biggest weapon is an isolation. He is really hard to stop 1 on 1, but as a playmaker, someone who should control the tempo, be a leader, i still think that he has some space to develop there. But i must say, these playoffs really showed that it's not impossible for him to play that role, i was really, really surprised how much more matured he looked there as opposed to his 8 turnovers 20%fg games we would see from time to time in RS.
clippertown
Veteran
And1: 928

Post#283 » by clippertown » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:31 pm

DowJones wrote:Wait..why are you trying to pretend that Blake will leave LA in free-agency? LA can offer him the most and he loves LA. He isn't leaving unless LA opts for someone else.

Now that 2nd part is interesting. Maybe LA wants to get some low-cost asset for 2017. That frees up enough money for LA to keep CP3 and go after LeBron or Durant.

-Rudy Gay makes LA competitive for 2016/2017 while being off the books next summer
-Crowder gives them a low-cost/role player
-2017 BKN pick is either kept or teased for another low-cost player
-Frees up enough room to sign Paul and LeBron/Durant for near-max value

It is risky but who knows.

Please understand, the Clippers love Blake Griffin and we would love for him to remain a Clipper for life. Unfortunately, this off-season has taught us a lesson. If we don't get to the conference finals, we seriously risk losing CP3 and if we lose CP3, we are in serious jeopardy of losing Griffin. We cannot afford to be Duranted on two superstars in one year, but that is the risk.

I would rather jettison Griffin now and get assets that protects us. If CP3 stays, we would then have the assets to get LBJ. If CP3 leaves to go play with his bro, then we would have the assets to get Westbrook. If we rest on our laurels, like OKC did this year, we could be in the same boat - a rebuilding team that gets nothing for losing two legitimate superstars to free agency.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 20,681

Post#284 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:19 pm

I don't have an issue with Brown over Dunn for an OKC trade. IT, Brown, 2017 BKN pick is, to me, an acceptable return if Russ wants to leave and is willing to stay in Boston.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,046

Post#285 » by mademan » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:38 pm

I dont the Clippers have any real worries that Blake will leave them. He love LA, his star has grown a ton in LA and that's where he can be offered the most money (and its the last cap jump, so no 1+1). Clippers arent trading him under duress, so theyre gonna be looking for sticker value
Triple M
General Manager
And1: 2,741

Post#286 » by Triple M » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:41 pm

what's not attractive about Boston's assets??

Not saying they have the best assets but it seems like they can offer a wide range of assets and are not reliant on one piece. The Celtics have expiring contracts, good players locked in on affordable contracts, young players, future picks, and potential top end lottery picks.

in a potential trade they could use Amir or JJ as salary filler
AB, IT, Crowder as players on affordable contracts
Smart and Brown as young players
future picks from the Clippers, Grizzles and there own
and finally the Nets picks

superstars are a rare commodity to acquire in trades but if one becomes avilable then i don't see how what Boston has to offer isn't appealing
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#287 » by Zombiesonics » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:43 pm

IT brown and another top 3 pick? isn't that a little insane? i mean what if brown turns into jimmy butler or something, and next years draft is supposed to be transcendent; wouldn't be surprised if you nab a better player than westbrook with a top 3 pick.
clippertown
Veteran
And1: 928

Post#288 » by clippertown » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:46 pm

If Blake Griffin has a reasonable chance of not signing an extension, then Russ has to be double that risk. I don't see him being patient while his best buddy wins ring after ring with GSW. Russ is the biggest gamble a team can make right now.

No matter what, Russ will make the most out of free agency and is highly likely to join an already made contender.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#289 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:47 pm

Zombiesonics wrote:IT brown and another top 3 pick? isn't that a little insane? i mean what if brown turns into jimmy butler or something, and next years draft is supposed to be transcendent; wouldn't be surprised if you nab a better player than westbrook with a top 3 pick.

How many top 5 picks become top 5 players?
TommyPoints
Head Coach
And1: 4,146

Post#290 » by TommyPoints » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:48 pm

Zombiesonics wrote:IT brown and another top 3 pick? isn't that a little insane? i mean what if brown turns into jimmy butler or something, and next years draft is supposed to be transcendent; wouldn't be surprised if you nab a better player than westbrook with a top 3 pick.

Yeah, there is no way that would be offered.
mademan
RealGM

Post#291 » by mademan » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:49 pm

Zombiesonics wrote: wouldn't be surprised if you nab a better player than westbrook with a top 3 pick.

I would be. Very very surprised. What are the odds a top 3 pick (if it's that) becomes a top 5 player? 1% chance? 5%? Most likely scenario, IT continues to be a pseudo-star, Brown doesnt become a star and the pick doesnt either. OKC only does this trade if they feel like they have next to no chance of retaining Russell
TommyPoints
Head Coach
And1: 4,146

Post#292 » by TommyPoints » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:52 pm

mademan wrote:
Zombiesonics wrote: wouldn't be surprised if you nab a better player than westbrook with a top 3 pick.

I would be. Very very surprised. What are the odds a top 3 pick (if it's that) becomes a top 5 player? 1% chance? 5%? Most likely scenario, IT continues to be a pseudo-star, Brown doesnt become a star and the pick doesnt either. OKC only does this trade if they feel like they have next to no chance of retaining Russell

I will be shocked if IT is traded.
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#293 » by The Penguin » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:55 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:

How many top 5 players were not top 5 picks?
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#294 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:57 pm

The Penguin wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:

How many top 5 players were not top 5 picks?

Not the relevant question. And currently 1, Curry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant

Post#295 » by Zombiesonics » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:00 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:

Well last year there was towns, and i would rather have towns on a rookie scale than westbrook. towns isn't a top 5 player currently but he is top 20 and could move into top ten by seasons end.

looking back, the 2013 and 2014 nba drafts were historically bad, so i understand the skepticism in landing a top player. 2003-2012 the nba rode a hot streak with tons of talent in each draft including franchise pieces. i honestly think there is too much talent at the top of the 2017 draft to trade the pick for anything ,imo.
mademan
RealGM

Post#296 » by mademan » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:24 pm

Zombiesonics wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:

Well last year there was towns, and i would rather have towns on a rookie scale than westbrook. towns isn't a top 5 player currently but he is top 20 and could move into top ten by seasons end.

looking back, the 2013 and 2014 nba drafts were historically bad, so i understand the skepticism in landing a top player. 2003-2012 the nba rode a hot streak with tons of talent in each draft including franchise pieces. i honestly think there is too much talent at the top of the 2017 draft to trade the pick for anything ,imo.

Go look through the past and how many even just all-stars were in the top 5 picks (nvm top 5 overall players). Start at 2012 NBA draft (so 3 years in and more).

Anthony Davis,Wall,Cousins, Irving, Griffin,Harden, Westbrook, Love,Durant, Horford

Going back to the 2007 draft, a possible 35 players and only 10 were all-stars. Of those 10, only 2 have become top 5 players (and 1 with potential in Davis).

So ya, it's incredibly rare to get a top 5 talent in the top 5 of the draft. It's even rare to just get an all-star
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant

Post#297 » by Zombiesonics » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:37 pm

mademan wrote:
Zombiesonics wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:

Go look through the past and how many even just all-stars were in the top 5 picks (nvm top 5 overall players). Start at 2012 NBA draft (so 3 years in and more).

Anthony Davis,Wall,Cousins, Irving, Griffin,Harden, Westbrook, Love,Durant, Horford

Going back to the 2007 draft, a possible 35 players and only 10 were all-stars. Of those 10, only 2 have become top 5 players (and 1 with potential in Davis).

So ya, it's incredibly rare to get a top 5 talent in the top 5 of the draft. It's even rare to just get an all-star

2013-2014 were historically bad drafts in the same vein as 2000 and 2001. i'm of the volition we are on a different trajectory as far as talent flow into the nba , it will mimic 2004-2010 more so than 2012-2014. i haven't thoroughly looked but i'm pretty certain in each class has a few star level players at the top (d12, cp3, LMA/Roy, rose,westbrook, love,blake,harden,wall,cousins, thats like a 30%+ chance of landing a superstar. thats not good?)
mademan
RealGM

Post#298 » by mademan » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:00 pm

Zombiesonics wrote:
mademan wrote:
Zombiesonics wrote:

2013-2014 were historically bad drafts in the same vein as 2000 and 2001. i'm of the volition we are on a different trajectory as far as talent flow into the nba , it will mimic 2004-2010 more so than 2012-2014. i haven't thoroughly looked but i'm pretty certain in each class has a few star level players at the top (d12, cp3, LMA/Roy, rose,westbrook, love,blake,harden,wall,cousins, thats like a 30%+ chance of landing a superstar. thats not good?)

I went back to 2007. If you want to go back to 2004, there are only 4 more all-star (aldridge/paul/D.williams/Howard). Either you cut it, it's pretty rare to get an all-star in any random pick and extraordinarily rare to get a superstar.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,685

Post#299 » by DowJones » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:58 pm

Zombiesonics wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:

Nobody knows about the 2017 draft. Every year I hear about these elite players and every year they are more or less the same. The 2014 class was weak but the summer prior to it everyone was hyping it up like crazy. Remember "Rigin for Wiggins"? And as far as Boston goes, while you are waiting for those guys to develop, IT, Bradley, and Horford get old and expensive.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,124

Post#300 » by Clemenza » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:10 pm

clippertown wrote:
DowJones wrote:Wait..why are you trying to pretend that Blake will leave LA in free-agency? LA can offer him the most and he loves LA. He isn't leaving unless LA opts for someone else.

Now that 2nd part is interesting. Maybe LA wants to get some low-cost asset for 2017. That frees up enough money for LA to keep CP3 and go after LeBron or Durant.

-Rudy Gay makes LA competitive for 2016/2017 while being off the books next summer
-Crowder gives them a low-cost/role player
-2017 BKN pick is either kept or teased for another low-cost player
-Frees up enough room to sign Paul and LeBron/Durant for near-max value

It is risky but who knows.

Please understand, the Clippers love Blake Griffin and we would love for him to remain a Clipper for life. Unfortunately, this off-season has taught us a lesson. If we don't get to the conference finals, we seriously risk losing CP3 and if we lose CP3, we are in serious jeopardy of losing Griffin. We cannot afford to be Duranted on two superstars in one year, but that is the risk.

I would rather jettison Griffin now and get assets that protects us. If CP3 stays, we would then have the assets to get LBJ. If CP3 leaves to go play with his bro, then we would have the assets to get Westbrook. If we rest on our laurels, like OKC did this year, we could be in the same boat - a rebuilding team that gets nothing for losing two legitimate superstars to free agency.

Griffin probably would be elated his CP3 left. I honestly think CP3 is going to play with LeBron after this upcoming season is over with anyway.. especially if we don't make the WCF at worst. I think Blake resigns with us.

Return to The General Board