REPORT: Celtics "Most likely destination" for Russell Westbrook

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

clippertown
Veteran
And1: 928

Re: REPORT: Celtics "Most likely destination" for Russell Westbrook 

Post#301 » by clippertown » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:23 pm

Clemenza wrote:
clippertown wrote:
DowJones wrote:Wait..why are you trying to pretend that Blake will leave LA in free-agency? LA can offer him the most and he loves LA. He isn't leaving unless LA opts for someone else.

Now that 2nd part is interesting. Maybe LA wants to get some low-cost asset for 2017. That frees up enough money for LA to keep CP3 and go after LeBron or Durant.

-Rudy Gay makes LA competitive for 2016/2017 while being off the books next summer
-Crowder gives them a low-cost/role player
-2017 BKN pick is either kept or teased for another low-cost player
-Frees up enough room to sign Paul and LeBron/Durant for near-max value

It is risky but who knows.

Please understand, the Clippers love Blake Griffin and we would love for him to remain a Clipper for life. Unfortunately, this off-season has taught us a lesson. If we don't get to the conference finals, we seriously risk losing CP3 and if we lose CP3, we are in serious jeopardy of losing Griffin. We cannot afford to be Duranted on two superstars in one year, but that is the risk.

I would rather jettison Griffin now and get assets that protects us. If CP3 stays, we would then have the assets to get LBJ. If CP3 leaves to go play with his bro, then we would have the assets to get Westbrook. If we rest on our laurels, like OKC did this year, we could be in the same boat - a rebuilding team that gets nothing for losing two legitimate superstars to free agency.

Griffin probably would be elated his CP3 left. I honestly think CP3 is going to play with LeBron after this upcoming season is over with anyway.. especially if we don't make the WCF at worst. I think Blake resigns with us.

I agree but boy is it a risk. I would have bet $1000 that Durant would re-sign and look what happened. Now I would bet $1000 that Westbrook will leave and we will have to wait to see what happens. Either way, when one star leaves, the other appears to be right behind. As a longtime Clipper fan, I just can't take losing both stars for nothing. I would rather get some kind of assurance for the future, even if it means losing my favorite player now.
phraoh
Sixth Man
And1: 714

Post#302 » by phraoh » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:24 pm

I doubt CP3 will be playing with Lebron after this season. Lebron will finally have the complete bird rights with Cleveland to sign the "super" max and no way CP3 will want to go to Cleveland (and I love Cleveland), and Cavs won't have the $$ to sign him.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,932

Post#303 » by DusterBuster » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:32 pm

phraoh wrote:I doubt CP3 will be playing with Lebron after this season. Lebron will finally have the complete bird rights with Cleveland to sign the "super" max and no way CP3 will want to go to Cleveland (and I love Cleveland), and Cavs won't have the $$ to sign him.

They also have that guy Kyrie Erving.....

Honestly, I think CP3 and LeBron would be a terrible pairing.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,438

Post#304 » by zimpy27 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:33 pm

Spurs should take Westbrook for Parker, Anderson and Simmons (trade checks out financially and benefits OKC long-term game)

Westbrook, Green, Kawhi, Aldridge, Gasol

Dat WCF doe.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,081

Post#305 » by sonictecture » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:36 pm

zimpy27 wrote:Spurs should take Westbrook for Parker, Anderson and Simmons (trade checks out financially and benefits OKC long-term game)

Dat WCF doe.

Trade benefits OKC long term game? I'm not seeing the benefits.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#306 » by zimpy27 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:51 pm

sonictecture wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:Spurs should take Westbrook for Parker, Anderson and Simmons (trade checks out financially and benefits OKC long-term game)

Dat WCF doe.

They get Anderson and Simmons..
makaveli_99
Sixth Man
And1: 559

Post#307 » by makaveli_99 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:58 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
sonictecture wrote:

Dat WCF doe.

yeah, uhm, still not seeing the benefits. That would go down as one of the worst trades in NBA history. OKC GM could hire a kid and come away with a better trade...
Goodfellaz
Junior
And1: 172

Post#308 » by Goodfellaz » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:00 pm

sonictecture wrote:

Dat WCF doe.

Me either - he had to have been joking there, or is a spurs fan.
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#309 » by Zombiesonics » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:03 pm

makaveli_99 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
sonictecture wrote:Trade benefits OKC long term game? I'm not seeing the benefits.

yeah, uhm, still not seeing the benefits. That would go down as one of the worst trades in NBA history. OKC GM could hire a kid and come away with a better trade...

yeah me too, anderson and simmons is not enough. Neither of those guys are even good prospects or good players at the moment. the return for westbrook should atleast include one great long term prospect as well as a first round pick. jaylen brown and IT with a first sounds right, not sure if they want to give up that brooklyn pick though. it could really haunt the boston franchise.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#310 » by zimpy27 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:24 pm

Do you guys really think teams are going to trade away assets for WB if they don't have some word that he will stay with them next year?

WB will be involved in this process, it will be the team that can offer the best amongst the teams he is likely to re-sign with.

Simmons and Anderson are long-term prospects. Tony Parker is a good player now and his contract expires in 2018 with a host of other big name free agents.
phraoh
Sixth Man

Post#311 » by phraoh » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:31 pm

Yes...teams trade away valuable assets for players with 1 year left ALL the time (Love, Howard, Carmelo, Paul, etc.) without any guarantees they resign. Its called having balls !!!
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#312 » by zimpy27 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:38 pm

phraoh wrote:Yes...teams trade away valuable assets for players with 1 year left ALL the time (Love, Howard, Carmelo, Paul, etc.) without any guarantees they resign. Its called having balls !!!

You don't think they had personal guarantees?
phraoh
Sixth Man

Post#313 » by phraoh » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:54 pm

No I don't...and by the way Howard left.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 20,681

Post#314 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:19 am

zimpy27 wrote:Do you guys really think teams are going to trade away assets for WB if they don't have some word that he will stay with them next year?

WB will be involved in this process, it will be the team that can offer the best amongst the teams he is likely to re-sign with.

Simmons and Anderson are long-term prospects. Tony Parker is a good player now and his contract expires in 2018 with a host of other big name free agents.

Nothing in that last paragraph is true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: REPORT: Celtics 

Post#315 » by zimpy27 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:28 am

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:Do you guys really think teams are going to trade away assets for WB if they don't have some word that he will stay with them next year?

Nothing in that last paragraph is true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean that's an indisputable fact so..

mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,045

Post#316 » by mademan » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:31 am

Simmons/anderson and 40 year old Tony Parker for Westbrook. Now ive heard it all
TommyPoints
Head Coach
And1: 4,146

Post#317 » by TommyPoints » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:35 am

mademan wrote:Simmons/anderson and 40 year old Tony Parker for Westbrook. Now ive heard it all

Boston can't beat that package. We're out.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 16,945

Post#318 » by MrBigShot » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:45 am

zimpy27 wrote:
phraoh wrote:Yes...teams trade away valuable assets for players with 1 year left ALL the time (Love, Howard, Carmelo, Paul, etc.) without any guarantees they resign. Its called having balls !!!

You don't think they had personal guarantees?

Obviously not. Dwight left.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#319 » by zimpy27 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:03 am

mademan wrote:Simmons/anderson and 40 year old Tony Parker for Westbrook. Now ive heard it all

I just see Westbrook seeing Spurs as a very suitable long-term destination given the way they are setup. He may sign there regardless after the next season.

Spurs could give Murray and picks but I don't see the hate for Simmons and Anderson. I also think the Manu signing was a tad suspicious for 1 year considering the size of the contract matches WB perfectly (though spurs are loyal and it could be reward for taking less in the past).
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,045

Post#320 » by mademan » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:14 am

zimpy27 wrote:

I just see Westbrook seeing Spurs as a very suitable long-term destination given the way they are setup. He may sign there regardless after the next season.

Spurs could give Murray and picks but I don't see the hate for Simmons and Anderson. I also think the Manu signing was a tad suspicious for 1 year considering the size of the contract matches WB perfectly (though spurs are loyal and it could be reward for taking less in the past).

Youre talking about trading a top 5 player in the NBA for a mediocre starting PG and 3 players who have never played meaningful minutes in the NBA.

Return to The General Board