Why are you a fan of your team?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Why are you a fan of your team?

Geography
55%
Tradition (your father/family cheers for them)
8%
Because of a particular player
21%
Self-proclaimed bandwagon fan (because they win)
1%
You just chose a team randomly
4%
Because of their mascot/colors
2%
I cheer for multiple teams
3%
Other (please specify)
6%

Total votes: 330

tribulations
Analyst
And1: 1,270

Re: Why are you a fan of your team? 

Post#101 » by tribulations » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:26 am

Grew up in Australia as a casual fan of the league but with a slight bias to Kemp and Payton and the Sonics in the 90s. Had MJ on my wall and Kobes on my feet. Lost interest after the 98 lockout.

Got back into ball in the early 00s, so many players had moved about to new clubs and I just became big fan of what Cubes was doing with the Dirk and the Mavs and stuck with them since, although now I am in the UK and NBA has virtually no profile here at all.
page
Junior
And1: 163

Post#102 » by page » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:31 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
page wrote:When I was a teenager there were many young stars on the rise. Everyone was talking about Bryant, Carter, McGrady and ESPECIALLY Iverson. But other guy caught my attention - Paul Pierce. It started with NBA Live circa 2000.
In those games he was just scary. I mean, he had a skillset to slice your throat in 30 ways. Good passing, speed, size, dynamic cuts, dunks, layups, finger rolls, and otherworld jump shot. Just a perfect opponent, he punished me with 40+ efficient points a game - even with mediocre teammates. It may sound funny, but there weren't many games televised outside US and video games were a perfect tool to learn rosters and understand hoops basics at that age.
So this guy impressed me again and again, and with time I started to like other things about Celtics. Great history, awesome players in the past, nice logo & colors, and this cold-blooded murderer harrasing mortal men. Once I learnt about Larry Bird, there was no way back. Garnett and Allen acquisitions after a couple of years sealed the deal.

Why the Patriots? Wanted to follow the Boston connection?

Right! There was always much football hype on Celtics message boards. Constant dropping wears away a stone, as they say. And I think it's only fair: if you follow American sports from the outside, it's good to limit yourself to one city.
If I ever start following NHL, I'm sure it will be Bruins.
KyletheDingbat wrote:Russell almost takes faith to believe in, because the stats aren't there but the evidence is. So he's sort of a litmus test for if you're a basketball atheist or believer. I'm a believer.

cp3Nme wrote:how big is outdoor? can hold millions.
HeatFanSince87
Assistant Coach
And1: 758

Post#103 » by HeatFanSince87 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:42 pm

bjaxking24 wrote:Born in a city literally halfway between Sac and Oakland. My dad took me to my first Kings game when I was 6 months old.

He apologize yet?

Damn, that's just a cruel way for destiny to play our in terms of being a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
HeatFanSince87
Assistant Coach
And1: 758

Post#104 » by HeatFanSince87 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:44 pm

Heat since inception. I was 8..

I was born and raised in south Florida. Funny because my whole family is from NY originally, thankfully my dad wasn't in to the NBA or I'm sure I would have latched onto the Knicks.

I became super die hard during Steve Smith's rookie season though. He was my favorite player and was crushed when we traded him.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,146

Post#105 » by bleu » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:03 pm

SF_Warriors wrote:Cus they are lightyears over every other team..also i am from the bay area

The Cavaliers fans might have something to say about that.... :crazy:
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,386

Post#106 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:13 pm

bleu wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:Cus they are lightyears over every other team..also i am from the bay area

It was a joke. :wink:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
the7boss
Pro Prospect
And1: 553

Post#107 » by the7boss » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:52 pm

I was like 10 years old when I started watching NBA basketball, no Internet, only one game a week in Spanish paid-TV (Canal+) and it was every Friday afternoon at 18:00 more or less. I was shocked with prime Shaq, huge fan of the guy.

When Shaq left I was really pissed but kept following the team during the Kwame Brown era via internet streaming, then Pau came and the fandomn solidified till the point right now I lose my time watching the new young Lakers go against the Cleveland Cavaliers in Las Vegas SL.

Now that I remember the old times of NBA streaming using weird webs, winamp and all kinds of tricks while suffering constant buffering and frozen video. God bless NBA LP.
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#108 » by SF_Warriors » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:28 pm

bleu wrote:

For those of you who do not get the joke...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/lacob--warriors-are--light-years-ahead---will-dominate-for-years-085034873.html
SpiderX1016
Junior
And1: 334

Post#109 » by SpiderX1016 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:56 pm

Right around the time I was getting into basketball. I loved watching the Suns in the Nash/D'Antoni era. I was hooked from then on and always stuck with Phoenix.
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,049

Post#110 » by FJS » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:32 pm

Jazz. Stockton and Malone.

Sent from my SM-J710F using RealGM mobile app
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,173

Post#111 » by King4Day » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:28 pm

Living in ny, I enjoyed Thunder Dan and the Barkley/KJ suns. Cried when they blew the 3-1 lead to Houston in 95, and been a fan ever since

Sent from my SM-G900V using RealGM mobile app
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
dobbins66
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#112 » by dobbins66 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:38 pm

Started watching basket ball in the mid-70's and been a Sixers fan since the first time I watched Dr J. Never changed loyalties win or lose(lot of losing lately!). Loved the aggressiveness of Barkley & the fight of Iverson over the years. Andrew Toney is one of my all-time favorite players ever. Hoping they eventually get their act together!
MC3
RealGM
And1: 7,747

Post#113 » by MC3 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:18 pm

Not living in US. So geography wise was out of question. But as Croatian, I was fan of Kukoc. So when he came to NBA and become Bull that was pretty much beggining. Not mention Bulls were already pretty good and Jordan was just something else to watch, even though I remember parts of 2nd three peat like Jazz series. So I can't say I become during that time hardcore Bulls fan cause I was too young.

After Jordan retired and Bulls dismantled dynasty team, I stopped in general watch NBA. I did watch it ocasionally. Lakers with Kobe-Shaq were on TV and 76ers with Iverson. But only as neutral fan. But until Skiles era I stopped watching and following Bulls. After Bulls make playoffs and Bulls first lost and then Bulls beat Heat year later. Those were events what made me again interested to follow NBA more and follow Bulls more closely again. And until Bulls drafted Rose with 1.7% I didnt become complete hardcore fan. That was pretty much what got me. That was first time I watched SL also. Rose was my favorite player since day he was drafted (knew he would be superstar), and I liked Bulls like I said since I can remember and that was perfect marriage. That Bulls-Celtics playoff series was one of my favorites ever, Rose droping 36 in playoff debut, Rose winning MVP, Thibs COY etc. Era to remember.

April 28, 2012 still hurts like hell. Even today.
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,229

Post#114 » by CS707 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:19 pm

Lived in the Bay Area my whole life.

There used to be a show in the mid/late 80's called Home Turf that covered Bay Area youth culture (hip-hop, break dancing, graffiti, skateboarding, etc) and they mixed in segments on local sports. The Warriors were kind of a go-to team because of their neutrality throughout the Bay being highlighted on the show gave them a "cool" factor for a lot of kids. Shortly thereafter Run TMC and then Chris Webber came to town. It also didn't hurt that they were the cheapest tickets to get at the time.
Blaze4G
Pro Prospect
And1: 939

Post#115 » by Blaze4G » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:19 pm

My friend is a huge Lakers fan. In 2008 playoffs finals she kept talking about them. Being the a**hole I am, I wanted to pick whichever team was the Lakers 'enemy'. I didn't know who at the time since I did not watch the NBA. My friend told me it was the Celtics.

P.s. I am not from the USA so geographical location was not an option for me.
NY 567 wrote: that won't change the fact that Tatum is mediocre as hell and that Ainge is dumb enough to give average starters with no upside like Tatum and Brown max contracts. That's worse than Isiah Thomas level dumb
Philly KDub
Sixth Man
And1: 87

Post#116 » by Philly KDub » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:21 pm

Born and raised in Philly. Most of my family members are Philly sports fans. It is just in my DNA.
kam_soluusar
Sixth Man
And1: 112

Post#117 » by kam_soluusar » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:09 am

I'm an Aussie. I started playing ball when I was 8yrs old. I was tall, and always played Centre. Everyone loved Jordan, he was "the man" Bulls fans everywhere. When I was 12, I bought a Batman comic, that had an advertisement for fleer trading cards. Front and Centre, excuse the pun, was a picture of Hakeem Olajuwon. Being a C myself, and seeing this guy with an unusual name, I started following Houston. I got an Olajuwon jersey as soon as I could, the rest is history. I am to this day, a hardcore Rockets fan. My eldest son is named Akeem in honor of the great man himself, I have a Rockets logo tattooed on my left shoulder, and my most prized material possession is a signed Olajuwon jersey. I bleed Rockets basketball, and that will never change. #OlajuwonismyGOAT

Sent from my SM-N910G using RealGM mobile app
"I don't think Michael had to retire for us to get the spotlight, because when you win, it commands attention."
Hakeem Olajuwon
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,735

Post#118 » by Dennis 37 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:22 am

NBA refs have often caused me ask the same question.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
chefdan
Sophomore
And1: 70

Post#119 » by chefdan » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:10 pm

Grew up watching basketball in Australia in the 90s, the Shaq era! But because we didn't get to watch many games at all, it was all about the best players that we'd see on NBA Action. I just loved Dominique Wilkins the best, and his was the first jersey I got as a kid. So now I'm a crazy Hawks fan.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,558

Post#120 » by dautjazz » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:07 pm

I was born in 1983, started to like basketball around 1990. I learned about the NBA through a box of basketball cards I got that fell out of a truck after Hurricane Andrew, a neighbor got a lot of boxes, and gave a box to each friend. I also played a ton of Double Dribble on NES, then NBA Jam and NBA Live. Between the later games, cards, and newpaper I learned a ton. I can't say exactly when I started watching basketball, but somewhere between 1992-95 I saw some games, by 1996 I was glued to any game I could watch. I became a fan of the Jazz because everybody was a fan of the Bulls in MIami, except the few Heat fans, and I decided to like the Jazz and Sonics. I guess I've never been a fan of going along with the sheep. After Kemp left the Sonics, I definitely was a Jazz fan forever.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.

Return to The General Board