Why are you a fan of your team?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Why are you a fan of your team?

Geography
55%
Tradition (your father/family cheers for them)
8%
Because of a particular player
21%
Self-proclaimed bandwagon fan (because they win)
1%
You just chose a team randomly
4%
Because of their mascot/colors
2%
I cheer for multiple teams
3%
Other (please specify)
6%

Total votes: 330

Jazzing
Senior
And1: 215

Re: Why are you a fan of your team? 

Post#121 » by Jazzing » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:52 pm

I'm from South America.

My first contact with NBA was through Jeff Malone. And he was playing in Jazz then.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,386

Post#122 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:47 pm

dautjazz wrote: After Kemp left the Sonics, I definitely was a Jazz fan forever.

Traitor! #Sonicsfan4Life :P
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
augustopss
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#123 » by augustopss » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:51 pm

The first time I followed NBA were on 2009 finals, and I always choosed the weakest side. So...
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,331

Post#124 » by MagicMadness » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:04 pm

I remember being like 8 years old and the Orlando Magic ran some educational promotion at our school. We had an assembly and a few players were involved (or maybe just one, can't remember), and I'm thinking "Wow, is that Michael Jordan??"

Yeah, I had no idea who these people were but I was intrigued.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,558

Post#125 » by dautjazz » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:00 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
dautjazz wrote: After Kemp left the Sonics, I definitely was a Jazz fan forever.

Traitor! #Sonicsfan4Life :P

LOL I remember feeling so bummed out when Chicago beat the Sonics. Then ofcourse the Jazz lost twice to the Bulls. I remember my dad who knew little about basketball, but obviously knew who Jordan was, he said, well now your team will win next year, and I was like yeah, I know they probably will. The Jazz I think were tied for the #1 record in 1999, and I could not believe it when we did not end up winning. It was a hard 4 year stretch always seeing my team in the finals or as favorites fall short. The day the Jazz wins, I'm going to be happy as hell!
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
ensergiog
Sophomore
And1: 279

Post#126 » by ensergiog » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:19 pm

Warriors and years later Pacers, for Chris Mullin. I love Mullin in NBA Live for SNES.
AgentDRL
Sophomore
And1: 71

Post#127 » by AgentDRL » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:50 am

Although I'm born and raised in England, a few members of my family emigrated to New York from Jamaica (and my grandparents / parents / aunties / uncles emigrated from Jamaica to England in the 60's).

I have been visiting my extended family in Brooklyn since the late 80's since I was a youngster, so been a Knicks' fan since then. First game I attended was back in 1989 I think, so I would've been around 8 or 9 years old. Attended roughly a couple of dozen Knicks games at the MSG when I've been over there during the season.
Bologna Smasher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,177

Post#128 » by Bologna Smasher » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:19 am

Lost a bet with Olden Polynice in 1997.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,107

Post#129 » by Def Swami » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:24 pm

Masochism.
Rubio9Guy
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,290

Post#130 » by Rubio9Guy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:35 pm

DK-All Day wrote:
bjaxking24 wrote:Born in a city literally halfway between Sac and Oakland. My dad took me to my first Kings game when I was 6 months old.

I feel bad for you.

I know it's a joke, but he was lucky to watch those great Kings teams in the early 00's.
Mrva
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#131 » by Mrva » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:57 pm

Started following Twolves more closely once Darko Milicic (I'm from Serbia) signed for them. During that period I fell in love with the team, fans and the communities following the team.

It was a young team, full of potential with Love, Rubio and, later, Pekovic (Darko flamed out very quickly :) )
The Twolves online communites were great, you could read really intelligent and argumented discussions which sparked my interest in the team even more. It was the case both here and @Canishoopus.
Since we sucked for the last decade, there aren't any bandwagon fans, which is great.

Hopefully, better times are ahead for us Timberwolves fans with Towns, Wiggins, Lavine, Rubio, Dunn and Thibodeau :)
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#132 » by Left*My*Heart » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:13 pm

Where I grew up, we didn't have but one pro team in the early 60s and that was an AFL team. As a class assignment, my 2nd grade teacher had us pick a baseball team to root for. It was the Orioles and I'm not sure why I picked them? Since I had picked the baseball team, I went ahead and picked the Colts and Bullets as well. Robinson, Unitas and Monroe were my heroes. My brother was born in San Fran and all the Bay Area teams were my second favorites. I stopped watching the Colts when they moved to Indianapolis. I stopped routing for the Bullets when Unseld retired and I stopped following the Orioles when they became nothing more than a Yankee farm club.

I was a Warrior fan before I moved to the San Francisco bay area in the early '80s, but my passion grew tremendously for the team wile I lived there. I don't like jumping around from team to team and I haven't been one to root for a team just because they are a winner. That is obvious since I have been a diehard fan of the Warriors through some extremely awful teams.

I live near Dallas now and I haven't been able to embrace the Mavs. Cuban's early year sideshows, were a circus with basketball being in the center ring. I love Dirk, but otherwise I can do without the Mavs. OKC isn't too far away and I have followed them more than the Mavs, but they all fall a distant whatever to the Warriors.
janmagn
Starter
And1: 341

Re: Re: Why are you a fan of your team? 

Post#133 » by janmagn » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:22 pm

weekend_warrior wrote:Not from the US, so neither geological nor traditional connections. I started watching the NBA again around 2011 and really liked the dynamic backcourt of GSW (Curry and Monta, yes I know the fit was atrocious), also an underdog team to root for...welp!

Man I got some same feelings. With only one team overtaking them. The Lob City Clippers were just so fun to watch, so I picked them. But the Warriors always were a decent second

But have to add here, the team that drafts the boy from the north, Lauri Markkanen, whose been killing it in the Euro U20s, will be one of my favourites for sure

Lähetetty minun LG-H440n laitteesta Tapatalkilla
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#134 » by TheOUTLAW » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:22 pm

I'm a native Clevelander, I root for all of my hometown teams. I've been rooting for the Cavs since their inaugural season
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Post#135 » by EAS Law » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:22 pm

Kind of a combination for me--

The geography is part of the deal, as I grew up in Orlando, but I'd never feel any emotional attachment to say, Miami whether or not Orlando is a winning team also.

Our team has historically been the underdog except for the very few Shaq and Penny years, and being the underdog and watching a team grow and prove the pundits wrong is fun for me. I like to see improvement and enjoy watching a project develop, build, and reach completion.

We've had some great players, Shaq, Penny, T-Mac, Dwight, but once they left and continued to play elsewhere, I felt no attachment.

I think for most people, it comes down to resonating with the culture of the team and organization.
dirtymike
Rookie
And1: 168

Post#136 » by dirtymike » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:39 pm

Growing up in Jacksonville FL, there were not a lot of teams on TV in the early 80's except 76ers, Celtics...but then the '83 NBA Finals came on with this flashy team called the Lakers. Magic, Kareem, McAdoo, Norm Nixon, Jamaal Wilkes, Kurt Rambis and even though they were getting their arses handed to them the entire series, that was enough for me to fall in love with them. My children even love the Lakers and their friends cant understand why! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Plan B: Make Plan A work- Dirty Mike
TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager
And1: 5,079

Post#137 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:26 pm

I moved to Toronto from Europe in 1995, guess what expansion team was made around that time. There was lots of other sports and fans for them, but this felt like my sport because it came to town the same time I had, and I've been a fan since then, through all the bad, and the pretty respectable playoffs more recently.
Credits to Jstock12
TurboTitan
Starter
And1: 1,936

Post#138 » by TurboTitan » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:36 pm

the best thing to do in windsor is probably to stare at detroits skyline, hell the best thing about my city is detroit, so ya
“We don't see ourselves as All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.” ~SHEED
TankShow
Sophomore
And1: 173

Post#139 » by TankShow » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:13 am

Shaq and Kobe. Nuff said.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,610

Post#140 » by bmurph128 » Wed Aug 3, 2016 1:44 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:Never understood the city thing...if the Cavs moved across country I'd still be a fan. Probably a product of my favorite sports team being in a different state. But if my team got the Supersonics treatment, I'd draw the line there....couldn't be a fan at that point.

Sadly, I lived through that. The Sonic's were my first love. A fan for more than 20 years. But, I could never root for the Thunder. I still get a sick feeling whenever I see their games on t.v. (which I try to avoid). Similar to how Cleveland fans feel towards Baltimore, I would guess. I don't think the bitterness will really ever go away. :(

Thankfully, KD decided to jump ship. :D

I would feel bad for you...but the NFL is my first love and I'm a huge Rams fan....I can't stand the Seahawks so seeing their logo under your name removes any compassion I may have had for you... :D

Return to The General Board