MarShon Brooks -CBA Kobe Bryant

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,587

Re: MarShon Brooks -CBA Kobe Bryant 

Post#41 » by dc » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:55 pm

spacemonkey wrote:Why couldn't Mar$wag find a 12-th man type role on an NBA squad?

A guy who wants shots and minutes and would complain about not getting those things wouldn't make for a good 12th man.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
el13adnino
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,855

Post#42 » by el13adnino » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:52 pm

i had a little altercation with him at a exxon gas station in hoboken after a knicks nets game, lmao i got him so tight
:crazy:
7 Footer
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 24,859

Post#43 » by 7 Footer » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:55 pm

willywazza wrote:
7 Footer wrote:I bet I can put up decent numbers in the CBA

Nice joke.

umm, not a joke. Maybe a joke for you but I can seriously put up 15ppg 4ast 6rebs. I'm 6'5 220lbs and only 26 years old.

mowcrowbar wrote:

No, just no.

No, for you. I ain't no fat ****. Competition in the CBA is non-existent
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#44 » by JellosJigglin » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:49 pm

7 Footer wrote:
willywazza wrote:

Nice joke.

umm, not a joke. Maybe a joke for you but I can seriously put up 15ppg 4ast 6rebs. I'm 6'5 220lbs and only 26 years old.

mowcrowbar wrote:

No, just no.

Well then you're stupid. You have a chance to make money playing basketball while eating some bomb ass ramen noodles and instead you're playing Pokemon go.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,139

Post#45 » by og15 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:57 pm

vanhill wrote:
shanghaifanzi wrote:
vanhill wrote:mudiay averaged 18 pts, 6reb and 6 asts when he played in the cba 2 years ago.
So even Brooks number is highly inflated, but not every NBA player could do the same.

mudiay just graduated from high school and then go to china CBA, marshon brooks already drafted and established NBA player before he went to CBA. two completely different player level before they went to CBA and of course marshon can put better numbers than mudiay

I am with you. What i was suggesting ..is..a not every NBA caliber player could put up huge numbers in the CBA,
Mudiay put up 12.8pts ,3.4 reb and 5.5 asts in his first year of NBA and 18 pts, 6reb and 6 asts in the CBA. Marshon can easily score around 15pts,3 reb,3asts per game if he is given around 25 minutes in the NBA.

He averaged 16/5/3 per 36 mins when he was in the NBA, so I think he'd need a bit more than just 25 minutes to put up 15/3/3. 15/3/3 in 25 minutes is pretty impressive production at the NBA level, that's 22/4/4 per 36, that's a higher scoring and assist rate than Jamal Crawford for example who has generally had roles that allowed him to chuck.

JellosJigglin wrote:
7 Footer wrote:
willywazza wrote:
Nice joke.

mowcrowbar wrote:
No, just no.

Well then you're stupid. You have a chance to make money playing basketball while eating some bomb ass ramen noodles and instead you're playing Pokemon go.

Or just very lazy
BasketballFan7
Analyst
And1: 2,344

Post#46 » by BasketballFan7 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:24 pm

spacemonkey wrote:Why couldn't Mar$wag find a 12-th man type role on an NBA squad?

Why would he want to?

Be a superstar in China and reap the benefits.
FGA Restricted All-Time Draft

In My Hood, The Bullies Get Bullied
PG: 2013 Mike Conley, 1998 Greg Anthony
SG: 2005 Manu Ginobili, 2015 Khris Middleton
SF: 1991 Scottie Pippen
PF: 1986 Larry Bird, 1996 Dennis Rodman
C: 1999 Alonzo Mourning
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,071

Post#47 » by MrBigShot » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:32 pm

Always felt like he had the talent to be a really solid rotation player that comes in as a spark plug off the bench. He was always a bit of a black hole though. As inefficient as he is, giving him the ball and letting him isolate as he did as a rookie just isn't a viable option.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 727

Post#48 » by RollingWave » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:53 am

Brooks signed well before FA started, maybe he miss read the market a bit but he got significantly more than the vet minimum for 2 years. maybe he just felt like the odds of teams paying him significantly more wasn't that good.

He seems like the type of guy who do better in the CBA setting, which is actually not true for everyone. usually it's those one man gunner who's a bit undersized / not athletic enough by NBA standards that explodes the most in the CBA. bigs are relatively more predictable, but perimeter players the difference in how they jump can really depend on their style.

We should note that most CBA teams that really rely on just these gunner types to score actually suck though, Jiangu was below average, the most awesome gunner last year was Jordan Crawford and his team was among the worst in the league.

Michael Beasely was the exception, but he was very effective back in the NBA as well anyway. hilariously he scored roughly the same on the Rocket per minute wise as in China (not quite as efficient obviously.)

Greg Oden was a pretty great rebounder in China, and actually did play MOST of the games, but they didn't invest in him to be just another American players, they paid him more than just about any other guys in the league and needed him to be the best player that's always there, which he wasn't. he's also slow as F now and the CBA is a super high pace league.

The American players in the CBA are at least very good NCAA division D1 guys nowadays, (you know, those good 4 year seniors. usually.) most now have had some NBA experience. especially the new arrivals. it wasn't always this way, in Yao's days and before it was often guys who wasn't even that good in D2 or worse. (Chris Andersen who hardly even played on freaking Blinn college somehow got a contract because a team saw him once in an exhibition. )

I mean sure, if your 6'5 220 guy that can ball maybe you can average 15 in the CBA if they just give the ball to you (assuming your fit enough to play 35-40 mins), but pretty much all the local wing guys can do that too if used in that role. and the team would get slaughtered almost every night because your playing teams usually with 2 dudes who had some NBA experience and dominated D1 college when they were not as experienced. as they are now. and the team will probably fire you pretty soon.

As for Marshoon , sure there are guys he's probably better than in the league, but the problem of roles is real, he has really only 1 role he could play and that's a role where teams only need 2 guys at most on their team that do that, and one of them has to be one of their best players on the team.

If your not a clear starter in this league you better be able to either defend / rebound, catch and shoot, or your a back up PG who can actually run the offense to some degree. Marshoon could theoretically shoot I suppose, he did it foreign leagues especially in China (which uses the NBA line.) but my thing with him is that he seems like a guy who can only shoot off the dribble in rhythm, and not as much off the catch. which he would need to do in the NBA.

He does work hard though, so maybe we haven't seen the last of him in the NBA. he just need to figure out his role within the NBA, and at least defend semi adequately.
The river of time wash away all heroes
mowcrowbar
General Manager
And1: 4,179

Post#49 » by mowcrowbar » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:11 am

7 Footer wrote:
willywazza wrote:

Nice joke.

mowcrowbar wrote:

No, just no.

Everyone says that, but the majority can't even qualify. 26 is pretty old by the way, also, take a bit of criticism and don't try to act so hard.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,667

Post#50 » by SelfishPlayer » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:50 am

LOL I remember all of the people who held opinions before the draft that believed he would be better than Klay Thompson! People still care about this guy that can't blend into a team.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
guille_4
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#51 » by guille_4 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:36 am

Someone said that he played like crap in Europe.

He was actually pretty decent stat-wise:

14 ppg/3.2rpg/1.7apg on 46% FG and 37% 3PT on 23.5 minutes per game are solid numbers.

Btw, in Europe games are 40 minutes long and it's very uncommon for players to average more than 30 mpg. 23.5 minutes are starter numbers.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#52 » by DAWill1128 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:43 am

His NBA career ended after getting stuck behind Jordan Crawford in Boston and Golden State. Had Brooklyn not used him in the KG-PIERCE trade he probably might have gotten the PT and reps to stick around.
willywazza
Bench Warmer
And1: 412

Post#53 » by willywazza » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:54 am

7 Footer wrote:
willywazza wrote:

Nice joke.

mowcrowbar wrote:

No, just no.

Wow, you're actually for real and not joking. Oh dear lord.

6'5, 220lbs and only 26? So?

That doesn't mean squat just because you're larger than the average joe and relatively young. You make it sound like everyone is 6'0 and 185 lbs playing in the CBA.

I think you vastly underestimate professional basketball players. You'd be surprised.

Sure, the CBA's talent level is several notches below the NBA but that's just a reflection of how ELITE the NBA talent level is, especially when someone deemed as a NBA wash-up is putting up monster numbers in the CBA.

Please show a little more respect for professional basketball players.
vanhill
Senior
And1: 245

Post#54 » by vanhill » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:46 pm

MrBigShot wrote:Always felt like he had the talent to be a really solid rotation player that comes in as a spark plug off the bench. He was always a bit of a black hole though. As inefficient as he is, giving him the ball and letting him isolate as he did as a rookie just isn't a viable option.

He dishes the wall quite well actually, he averages 4+asts in the CBA would imply that he is efficiently sharing the ball and make his teammates better. He has been playing professionally for good 5 years, there should be some improvement on his game in general.

Return to The General Board