Is the Shabazz Muhammad dream still alive?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

KidPistol
Sixth Man
And1: 1,510

Is the Shabazz Muhammad dream still alive? 

Post#1 » by KidPistol » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:07 pm

During his high school days, scouts were comparing him to legends then he had a lackluster rookie season. He's improved A LOT since then as one of the most formidable bench players in the league to a point where at a time he had a top 4 PER in the league for some time. He's only 23 years old also.

What is the future for Muhammad?
The scariest question in NBA history.

"Can Stephen Curry get better?"
willywazza
Bench Warmer
And1: 412

Re: Is the Shabazz Muhammad dream still alive? 

Post#2 » by willywazza » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:16 pm

I think he can still carve out a nice career as a 6th or 7th man on a playoff team. Be that bench scorer who can lead the 2nd unit.

He'd definitely be a starter on a lottery team like the Nets.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,525

Post#3 » by Qwigglez » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Might need a change of scenery. Could also have that OJ Mayo in em. Too much hype, and at the end of the day, does he really want it bad enough?
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,033

Post#4 » by shangrila » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:19 pm

He's not a bad player and is my third favourite Wolf behind KAT and Pek but he does have significant flaws.

1. He rarely, if ever, even looks to pass. It's at the point where I wouldn't be surprised if his 3 man weave was just him dribbling up the court while the other 2 watched. It's not a crippling issue because most of his work comes off the ball, but still.
2. His shot comes and goes. He had a good month or so in his second year shooting the 3 before an injury took him out for the rest of the season (like almost everyone else that year). This season he fell off a cliff, so who knows?
3. His defensive awareness is bad. His man defence, when he's dialed in, is ok. Not lockdown, but ok. The issue is he just doesn't have any instincts when it comes to playing defence as a team. He helps when he shouldn't and doesn't when he should, things like that.
4. He's not a guy that can generate much offence by himself. As I said above he does most of his work off ball, so he's not like a Jamal Crawford that can break guys down off the dribble. If he doesn't have a good PG then he suffers, a LOT.

But there is reason for optimism;

1. What's there as a base isn't bad. He's the hardest working player off ball we have on our team. He makes quick decisions when he does get the ball (probably because all his decisions are "shoot"). He's also a good offensive rebounder.
2. His shot, while inconsistent, isn't terrible. He has a fluid, quick and repeatable motion that should continue to improve over time. Part of the issue there may have been a philosophy thing as well; as ridiculous as it might be, Flip and later Mitchell just flat out didn't believe in the value of 3pt shots. So no plays drawn for 3s would equal less open shots, in theory, though I don't have any numbers to back that up.
3. Speaking of Flip and Mitchell, Bazz has played for a different coach every year in his career. Some continuity could do him wonders.
4. All those rumours about him being a malcontent in high school/college? They don't exist, anymore anyway. I haven't heard anything bad from him in his 3 years. No complaints, no demands for minutes, not even any back handed compliments. He just puts his head down and works. He's actually seemed to embrace the 6th man role, which surprised me. Most kids that get that hype wouldn't be so willing to accept a role like that.

So...yeah, I like him. I hope he sticks around for the long haul assuming no one offers him a ridiculous contract next year (I'm looking at you New Jersey!). But as far as him ever being a star? Eh, I can't see it. He'll score a bunch of points if given a green light but that's not enough to lead a team anywhere special.
TaylorTag
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#5 » by TaylorTag » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:05 pm

He's also really good with the local media. After games, he always makes himself available for comment. And he actually does a good job in those interviews. You can tell he analyzes the game as it goes, which would seem to suggest that he's dialed in and invested in the outcome
Tave
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,356

Post#6 » by Tave » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:19 pm

Definitely. He played well in the 6th-man scoring role and maintained volume when given minutes. Minny had a logjam at the wing, and he'll be behind Wiggins and Lavine on the depth chart, but hopefully he'll have more opportunities to play alongside those guys--no reason he couldn't get up to 25mpg if Thibs likes what he sees.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#7 » by jonjames » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:14 pm

Don't really get the hate for this guy. He plays hard night in and night out. He was overhyped coming out of high school being appointed the next kobe bryant not his fault,,but dude has become really underrated now ever since the controversy over his age/ucla incident. He has potential to be stephen jackson in his prime level player.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,471

Post#8 » by dc » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:19 pm

He was just overhyped (and reported a year younger than he really was) coming out of HS. So were guys like Felipe Lopez and OJ Mayo. But he should carve out a nice NBA career.

And let's face it: The guy is going to get a $70M offersheet in the not to distant future.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
BallinSon
Ballboy
And1: 44

Post#9 » by BallinSon » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:28 pm

jonjames wrote:Don't really get the hate for this guy. He plays hard night in and night out. He was overhyped coming out of high school being appointed the next kobe bryant not his fault,,but dude has become really underrated now ever since the controversy over his age/ucla incident. He has potential to be stephen jackson in his prime level player.

He lied about his age. He's a bad teammate. He had a girl in his hotel room. He's lazy. He is a bad defender. He can't shoot. He has no court awareness. He never passes. He can't score off the dribble.

That said, he's best suited coming off the bench as a 7th or 8th man for some instant offense. Duh!

EDIT: He's fat too. I forgot that one.
TaylorTag
Rookie

Post#10 » by TaylorTag » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:34 pm

The thing about Shabazz is that he's a really unique player. He once called his position "power guard", a twist on the name "point forward."

And it makes sense. Shabazz is really a forward in a guard's body. He can't run the offense. He doesn't distribute. But when it comes to getting buckets near the rim, and fighting for offensive rebounds, he's great and shows why he will have a long lasting career. Whether he is a starter or a role player is yet to be seen
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,932

Post#11 » by DusterBuster » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:43 pm

The star level dream is dead imo.

That said, I'd be interested to see him on a team like the Nets where he would be the featured player on offense.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
BallinSon
Ballboy

Post#12 » by BallinSon » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:44 pm

Lakers612 wrote:The thing about Shabazz is that he's a really unique player. He once called his position "power guard", a twist on the name "point forward."

And it makes sense. Shabazz is really a forward in a guard's body. He can't run the offense. He doesn't distribute. But when it comes to getting buckets near the rim, and fighting for offensive rebounds, he's great and shows why he will have a long lasting career. Whether he is a starter or a role player is yet to be seen

I'm glad someone else sees it. I love his throwback post-up game. You'd think he would thrive in today's "3 and D" game where all the bigs are on the perimeter. But for some reason the T-Wolves stick him in the corner for about 10 minutes a game in a motionless offense.

I guess having Lavine run out the clock to launch a terrible, contested jumper is the only game plan they can come up with.
TaylorTag
Rookie

Post#13 » by TaylorTag » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:50 pm

BallinSon wrote:
Lakers612 wrote:The thing about Shabazz is that he's a really unique player. He once called his position "power guard", a twist on the name "point forward."

I'm glad someone else sees it. I love his throwback post-up game. You'd think he would thrive in today's "3 and D" game where all the bigs are on the perimeter. But for some reason the T-Wolves stick him in the corner for about 10 minutes a game in a motionless offense.

I guess having Lavine run out the clock to launch a terrible, contested jumper is the only game plan they can come up with.

I have to think that Thibodeau will fix that. Thibodeau designs offenses based on the roster. I think Shabazz has had to play a role in his career thus far, like the 3 and D role you mentioned.. Thibs will hopefully allow Bazz be Bazz
OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,093

Post#14 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:13 pm

He needs a change of scenery now.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,760

Post#15 » by Upperclass » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:13 pm

He'll be a good bench smallball PF for someone in the Thad Young mold
OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,093

Post#16 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:18 pm

Upperclass wrote:He'll be a good bench smallball PF for someone in the Thad Young mold

He's more of a scorer than anything else.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#17 » by NewWolvesOrder » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:34 pm

Dude is dead last in RPM among SFs in NBA. Wolves are handily outscored when he's on the floor. But he can fit a role of an energy scorer on the right team.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#18 » by Golabki » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:44 pm

KidPistol wrote:During his high school days, scouts were comparing him to legends then he had a lackluster rookie season. He's improved A LOT since then as one of the most formidable bench players in the league to a point where at a time he had a top 4 PER in the league for some time. He's only 23 years old also.

The dream of him being a star is most certainly over. The dream of him being a decent rotation player is still alive, but after last year he's at risk of being out of the league in three years.
BallinSon
Ballboy

Post#19 » by BallinSon » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:04 pm

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Dude is dead last in RPM among SFs in NBA. Wolves are handily outscored when he's on the floor. But he can fit a role of an energy scorer on the right team.

And Lavine would be just ahead of James Anderson and JaKarr Sampson at the bottom of the SG list if the guys at ESPN who made up these mesmerizing numbers didn't call him a PG.

Ain't them numbers just a tool for the fantasy gamblers anyway?

Golabki wrote:
KidPistol wrote:During his high school days, scouts were comparing him to legends then he had a lackluster rookie season. He's improved A LOT since then as one of the most formidable bench players in the league to a point where at a time he had a top 4 PER in the league for some time. He's only 23 years old also.

The dream of him being a star is most certainly over. The dream of him being a decent rotation player is still alive, but after last year he's at risk of being out of the league in three years.

He's fun to watch play ball, you can't deny that. He gives it all he's got on both ends of the floor and his offensive game is refined and pretty.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#20 » by Golabki » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:11 pm

BallinSon wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:Dude is dead last in RPM among SFs in NBA. Wolves are handily outscored when he's on the floor. But he can fit a role of an energy scorer on the right team.

And Lavine would be just ahead of James Anderson and JaKarr Sampson at the bottom of the SG list if the guys at ESPN who made up these mesmerizing numbers didn't call him a PG.

Ain't those numbers just a tool for the fantasy gamblers anyway?

Golabki wrote:

He's fun to watch play ball, you can't deny that. He gives it all he's got on both ends of the floor and his offensive game is refined and pretty.

I don't think he gives much at the defensive end... if he's one-on-one against a guy with the ball in his hands he'll hold is own, but off ball he's clueless. Arguably that a coaching issue that Thibs will fix, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Offensively he's got the skills of a go-to scorer, but he's just not good enough to play that way in any good offense.

Right now he is a flat out bad... but if he can get on the floor for a Thibs coached team I'll change my tune.

Return to The General Board