J.R. Smith seeking 15 million a year....

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,869

Re: J.R. Smith seeking 15 million a year.... 

Post#41 » by LakersLegacy » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:26 am

What would the luxury tax per year be for JR? Would Gilbert have to lose his shirt to pay for it?
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,283

Post#42 » by Jedi32 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:31 am

Chuck Everett wrote:The thing is, Gilbert has won his ring. Rich Paul doesn't have as much power as he may think in this situation. He may get JR more money, but no one else is going to give JR that kind of bread, so where's your leverage? There are only 3-4 teams now with cap room.

I actually believe lebron has alot of leverage. Lebron has shown that Gilbert can't get it done without him. Can you imagine the backlash Gilbert would face if he broke up the core that just won a ring? LeBron can threaten not to sign and no one would really fault him especially in Cleveland. Cleveland is lebron's city and Gilbert is just a guest. I think in the end the cavs give jr his contract for 3 years with a player option after 2. Gilbert is going to make LeBron happy.
Bruteque
Starter
And1: 1,176

Post#43 » by Bruteque » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:41 am

I think even the Cleveland fans are like "J.R. Smith for $15 million? F*** that, LeBron."
alexb618
Rookie
And1: 870

Post#44 » by alexb618 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:47 am

he will get 12-15m from the cavs i am 100% certain
Travis Outlaw: Oh man. That feels great. To have a bobblehead of me is just terrific.
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#45 » by pelifan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:47 am

how many armored cars does this dude need?
Cyrusman122000
Analyst
And1: 2,919

Post#46 » by Cyrusman122000 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:08 am

Chuck Everett wrote:
Cyrusman122000 wrote:Can someone please tell me why no team is offering him a contract? I mean look at some of the scrubs landing big deals!! Your tell me not one of the other 29 teams wants Jr Smith? Especially and Eastern team that could steal him away from the cavs! It doesn't make sense.

I'm sure he wants to stay in Cleveland. However I have no doubt that if another team offered him something like a 3 year 48 Million dollar contract he wouldn't sign immediately. Especially now that he got a ring. I'm just scratching my head how not one other team is offering him a contract. I mean Evan Turner got a 75 million dollar deal for crying out loud. How much better is he really from JR? Imagine if a team for example like the Pacers gave him a fat contract, and slid him into the starting 2 spot, and did this while taking him from Cleveland.

Because JR Smith has been a knucklehead everywhere he's been other than with Lebron. What team would be willing to put up with him? He's not young anymore. Your past does actually effect your future. Just ask Lance Stephenson. He isn't signed either and he clearly can play in the NBA.

Being a professional matters.

I wouldn't say that at all. He was good on Denver especially during that 2009 season when they made the Conference finals. He was their 6th man off the bench that year. He was also good in 2013 when he won 6th man of the year. That JR was statistically better than the JR smith that has played with Lebron. I would say as long as he's on a good team he can be a positive.
Lance Stephanson has been a disaster everywhere he has been on beside Indiana. Even that got bad at the end
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,950

Post#47 » by Capn'O » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:24 am

Cyrusman122000 wrote:Can someone please tell me why no team is offering him a contract? I mean look at some of the scrubs landing big deals!! Your tell me not one of the other 29 teams wants Jr Smith? Especially and Eastern team that could steal him away from the cavs! It doesn't make sense.

I'm sure he wants to stay in Cleveland. However I have no doubt that if another team offered him something like a 3 year 48 Million dollar contract he wouldn't sign immediately. Especially now that he got a ring. I'm just scratching my head how not one other team is offering him a contract. I mean Evan Turner got a 75 million dollar deal for crying out loud. How much better is he really from JR? Imagine if a team for example like the Pacers gave him a fat contract, and slid him into the starting 2 spot, and did this while taking him from Cleveland.

Honestly, I'm surprised you guys haven't offered him something. And I mean that in earnest because I think he could do well in SA. The guard rotation needs a spruce and JR is usually a magnifying glass of the environment around him.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Smitson
Starter
And1: 2,945

Post#48 » by Smitson » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:26 am

No one else wanted him last off season, looks like the same holds true this year despite the increasing cap.
OsuCavsfan103
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,047

Post#49 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:47 am

2 years 30 million would be fine with me, not anything over 2yrs at 15 million a year though.

I'd say 2/30mil or 3yr/40 million... nothing more than those two years or money wise though for me, even as much as I love JR.
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,808

Post#50 » by Adelheid » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:49 am

...coz' you will need LeBron for JR to fall in line. No team other than Cavs is going to get Lebron so JR is pretty much glued there.
alexb618
Rookie
And1: 870

Post#51 » by alexb618 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:49 am

Capn'O wrote:
Honestly, I'm surprised you guys haven't offered him something. And I mean that in earnest because I think he could do well in SA. The guard rotation needs a spruce and JR is usually a magnifying glass of the environment around him.

no money left in san antonio.

also as said above, he really needs a guy like lebron to supervise him, spurs don't have that.
Travis Outlaw: Oh man. That feels great. To have a bobblehead of me is just terrific.
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,392

Post#52 » by DaddyCool19 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:56 am

3/36M last year partially guaranteed (maybe 4M)

If they waive him after 2 years he would have made around 14M each year.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#53 » by jpengland » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:01 am

If he was seeking 15m he needed to play hardball earlier in FA when other teams had cap space. Now he has zero leverage other than LeBron acting like a child.

Time for the Cavs to take a stand IMO. Offer him 8 - 10m per and no more.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#54 » by lars_rosenberg » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:19 am

If Harrison Barnes got 23 millions, JR would be stupid to ask for less than 15 millions. He's the better player.
30x2 would be fair.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#55 » by Uncle Mxy » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:50 am

Dear Dan Gilbert,

I am also seeking $15 million/year. I live close to Quicken HQ. I will not hesitate to ride LeBron's jock at all times, only chucking threes when I am told. Please consider me for your money-spending needs. I might even settle for $12 million/year with a multi-year contract.

Thanks,
-Uncle Mxy

P.S. I won't tell anyone that you shot JR.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#56 » by turk3d » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:57 am

lol. Dude's lucky to still be in the league and even luckier to be playing for the Cavs.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,962

Post#57 » by Phreak50 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:05 am

turk3d wrote:lol. Dude's lucky to still be in the league and even luckier to be playing for the Cavs.

Lucky to be in the league? He hit 16 threes in the finals, averaged 10.5 ppg, only turned the ball over 5 times in 7 games against 11 assists and 10 steals.

This is the typical attitude most people have with Smith but the guy can play.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#58 » by turk3d » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:11 am

Phreak50 wrote:
turk3d wrote:lol. Dude's lucky to still be in the league and even luckier to be playing for the Cavs.

Lucky to be in the league? He hit 16 threes in the finals, averaged 10.5 ppg, only turned the ball over 5 times in 7 games against 11 assists and 10 steals.

This is the typical attitude most people have with Smith but the guy can play.

Not worth 15 Mil though, even in this inflated market. Especially when guys and taking salary cuts in order to help teams with their cap situations. And Cleveland has the biggest payroll in the league if I'm not mistaken. Cleveland threw the guy a life raft when things weren't looking too good for him. He should be willing to do what it takes to help them at this point.

Guy's been very inconsistent throughout his career and yes, he had a very good playoff especially against the Warriors but I don't think it justifies such a big payday based off his entire career, in particular if wants to continue to play with one of the elite teams. Sure, he can go to someplace like Philly and maybe get that kind of money, if that's the only thing he's thinking about.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,123

Post#59 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:24 am

There are three teams with the cap space to offer him the contract he's looking for - Denver, Philly and Nets. He may have been offered that money on a two year deal from one of those teams. He's probably not looking to play for a lottery team coming off of a championship. Also with JR, it's not about the money it's about the guaranteed years. I doubt many teams want to guarantee that third year unless it's at a below market rate.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#60 » by NBAfan3024 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:59 am

TT part 2

Return to The General Board