J.R. Smith seeking 15 million a year....

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,799

Re: J.R. Smith seeking 15 million a year.... 

Post#81 » by HeartBreakKid » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:30 pm

Amsterdam wrote:JR has proven his worth and shouldn't be punished for any past mistakes. Given the amount of money being handed out to lesser players, JR Smith should get his money.

Also the Cavs should stop acting like they are doing HIM a favor because If Wade can leave Miami (rightfully or not) for being slighted, JR can move along as well.

$15million is right for a top 10 SG, on a Championship team. Miami would be a nice destination, imo.

SG is pretty weak right now, but Smith a top ten SG is a stretch...he literally goes entire series where he seems invisible. I think most playoff caliber teams have a shooting guard who is better than JR Smith.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,965

Post#82 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:32 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
meekrab wrote:
OrangeBlueSkies wrote:I think it's safe to assume Cleveland is exploring all sign and trade opportunities.

I'm not sure about this, LeBron clearly wants JR on the team for some unknown reason.

He wants him on the team because for about 35-40% of games this season, JR plays like the 3rd best player on a championship team. Just because JR was a liability years ago doesnt mean he is now. He has been a incredible asset since joining the Cavs with a changed demeanor, lockdown defense and amazing 3pt shooting ability.

I'd go with improved defense. Lock-down defense makes me think you haven't stopped partying since the parade.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,384

Post#83 » by Jody Smokz » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:36 pm

JR Smith is much better than J Crawf at this point and still younger. After his turnaround in CLE and winning a ring 3/40 is not a terrible deal at all.
Amsterdam
Analyst
And1: 1,622

Post#84 » by Amsterdam » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:47 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:JR has proven his worth and shouldn't be punished for any past mistakes. Given the amount of money being handed out to lesser players, JR Smith should get his money.

Also the Cavs should stop acting like they are doing HIM a favor because If Wade can leave Miami (rightfully or not) for being slighted, JR can move along as well.

$15million is right for a top 10 SG, on a Championship team. Miami would be a nice destination, imo.

SG is pretty weak right now, but Smith a top ten SG is a stretch...he literally goes entire series where he seems invisible. I think most playoff caliber teams have a shooting guard who is better than JR Smith.

The job he did defensively in the GW series has to be acknowledged. Plus he is a big shot player and looks to have a cause for wanting his money.
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,793

Post#85 » by yoyoboy » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:47 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:

11th in RPM, 10th in WS/48, and 8th in BPM this past season among all SGs. And his numbers actually got pretty significantly better across the board in the postseason, as he posted a 4.3 BPM, 125 ORTG, and a +8.6 On/Off. His hot three point shooting saved us a number of times, most notably in Game 7 of the Finals, when we were down by about 8 at the half and he opened up the 3rd quarter by scoring 8 straight points (2 threes) and putting us back in the game. He's also turned into not just a solid defender, but a pretty damn good one. Finally, he rarely turns it over and is near the top of the league in lowest TOV%.

How is it a stretch to call him a top 10 SG?
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,610

Post#86 » by bmurph128 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:06 pm

He's easily worth $15 million in a vacuum - the issue if I'm Dan Gilbert would be that at $15 million, he'd be the cheapest starter on the team...

But even then, it's worth the luxury tax to keep this team together.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,061

Post#87 » by tidho » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:13 pm

bmurph128 wrote:He's easily worth $15 million in a vacuum - the issue if I'm Dan Gilbert would be that at $15 million, he'd be the cheapest starter on the team...

But even then, it's worth the luxury tax to keep this team together.

Luxury tax isn't an issue for Dan Gilbert.
...so there are no issues.

Hopefully they come to some compromise, preferably of the two year variety.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#88 » by TheNewEra » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:34 pm

JonFromVA wrote:JR will see a nice payday but the Cavs are bidding against themselves, no other team has stepped up, and JR had already worn out his welcome in numerous cities.

He has been on two other teams though
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#89 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:36 pm

:lol: If Gilbert holds out, will LeBron just sign on as the PF for GSW at a veterans minimum?
wallsfamily
Pro Prospect
And1: 155

Post#90 » by wallsfamily » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:56 pm

Here is the deal the Cavs have three maxes and they overpayed for Thompson the fifth member of the starting lineup is an above average shooting guard who fits like a glove. Because his jumper is feared even when he is off he spreads the floor. He used to do stupid stuff on the floor that cost the team but this year he made good decisions and in the finals he guarded a top 3 shooting guard held him to 3 pts less than his average. That is 15 mill a year but his past says no and the lack of suitors says no. I say offer extra years with performance bonuses and bite the bullet. 3 year window with LeBron and kyrie
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,373

Post#91 » by Hangtime84 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:05 pm

McRae is somewhere smiling
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#92 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:09 pm

wallsfamily wrote:Here is the deal the Cavs have three maxes and they overpayed for Thompson the fifth member of the starting lineup is an above average shooting guard who fits like a glove. Because his jumper is feared even when he is off he spreads the floor. He used to do stupid stuff on the floor that cost the team but this year he made good decisions and in the finals he guarded a top 3 shooting guard held him to 3 pts less than his average. That is 15 mill a year but his past says no and the lack of suitors says no. I say offer extra years with performance bonuses and bite the bullet. 3 year window with LeBron and kyrie

It's hard to offer three years to JR when LBJ hasn't committed to three years.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
oikosnomos
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,934

Post#93 » by oikosnomos » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:23 pm

I think JR went with Rich Paul because he got TT paid last summer...and kept him with the team.

JR has said in interviews he is nervous about the possibility of leaving, but letting his agent do the work. JR wants to be here. It's almost like he doesn't want other teams to make offers to him that will cause consider leaving. I think he is hoping for RP to bring him an above fair offer, but also that he doesn't bring him a below fair offer. However, the Cavs want him here, so I don't think it will be a problem. Griff and RP did this dance last summer and they'll do it again now. I have no doubt JR his here this upcoming season.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,106

Post#94 » by cpower » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:24 pm

not muti-year though. I will give him 12 per year for 3 years. 11 per for 4 years.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,984

Post#95 » by moocow007 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:56 pm

How many teams are left that can actually give him anywhere near that? The Cavs could try to be a hard ass about it. May be a dangerous game though cause JR could just say screw it and sign for pocket change with another team. Yeah, it's shooting himself in the face as well as screwing the Cavs, but not sure if JR cares.
jswede
Sixth Man
And1: 1,840

Post#96 » by jswede » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:14 pm

Phreak50 wrote:
turk3d wrote:lol. Dude's lucky to still be in the league and even luckier to be playing for the Cavs.

Lucky to be in the league? He hit 16 threes in the finals, averaged 10.5 ppg, only turned the ball over 5 times in 7 games against 11 assists and 10 steals.

This is the typical attitude most people have with Smith but the guy can play.

And defense
oikosnomos
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,934

Post#97 » by oikosnomos » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:17 pm

moocow007 wrote:How many teams are left that can actually give him anywhere near that? The Cavs could try to be a hard ass about it. May be a dangerous game though cause JR could just say screw it and sign for pocket change with another team. Yeah, it's shooting himself in the face as well as screwing the Cavs, but not sure if JR cares.

I don't think either side wants to create bad blood. Rich Paul will drag this out right up until training camp, get JR Smith another 300-500K a year on the initial deal the Cavs put down and that will be that. It's not a bad way to go. TT got what he wanted last year, the cap exploded and now it's a fair deal for the Cavs.

Cavs want to treat their FAs fairly, because agents and players around the league take note of that.

Also, all this talk about how JR Smith is a trouble maker is about 3-4 years too late. He has not caused any off court trouble while he has been in Cleveland. He's actual been a model citizen. He's had some lapses on the court, but was golden in the playoffs and the Finals.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#98 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:17 pm

moocow007 wrote:How many teams are left that can actually give him anywhere near that? The Cavs could try to be a hard ass about it. May be a dangerous game though cause JR could just say screw it and sign for pocket change with another team. Yeah, it's shooting himself in the face as well as screwing the Cavs, but not sure if JR cares.

If JR signs elsewhere, it won't be for pocket change. Of that, I'm sure. Klutch is trying to be the Scott Boras of the NBA.

There are cross currents for everyone involved. Klutch needs him to re-sign with the Cavs on a decent deal. If JR ends up signing with the Nets or Sixers on a fat contract, then it sends the message that Klutch can get you paid but you'll go from a really good situation to a really bad one and some players aren't going to want that (this assumes that teams like the Sixers and Nets even want to gamble on a 4-year deal for JR).
cbosh4mvp wrote:
FemaleDogPlease
Veteran
And1: 1,473

Post#99 » by FemaleDogPlease » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:38 pm

Based Schroeder wrote:
FemaleDogPlease wrote:JR Smith isn't getting 10 million per from anyone. I'd off him 2 yrs 20 million or 3 yrs 24 million.

:lol:

:nonono: . I meant other teams arent going to offer him 10 per so the Cavs offering 20 is above average offer.
rich316
Sixth Man
And1: 1,243

Post#100 » by rich316 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:56 pm

I could easily see the Nets or sixers swooping in w/ over 15 million per year. Cavs gotta get this done.

Return to The General Board