Kevin Durant to GSW: Smart Move for His Legacy

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

mtron929
Head Coach
And1: 5,267

Kevin Durant to GSW: Smart Move for His Legacy 

Post#1 » by mtron929 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:34 am

After contemplating about this whole Kevin Durant to GSW issue for a bit, I've come to the conclusion that this was an extremely smart move by Durant that can enhance his legacy when we look back upon his career in 20-30 years.

Kevin Durant has had a remarkable basketball career so far. Most likely, he will be seen as one of the top 30 players to play the game and depending on how his career unfolds in the next few years, he can climb up the list and might even have an outside shot at making top 10. For a player like Kevin Durant to climb up the GOAT list, he needs championships. Moreover, the Kobe-Shaq tag team has shown us that it's not just the championship that matters but your relative worth in the championship team. Because Shaq was seen as a clearly superior player to Kobe during the three-peat era, Kobe's 5 championships (2 of which he was the best player) is seen as being worth less compared to Lebron's 3 championships (3 of which he was the best player) when it comes to comparisons between Kobe and Lebron. If Kobe would have been a better player than Shaq during the three-peat, we would probably put Kobe as one of the top 5 players of all time. However, this wasn't the case. In summary, two things (besides having great stats) matter the most for your legacy: (a) you need championships and (b) you need to be the best player on your championship team.

Going back to Durant, a move to the Warriors actually help in both fronts. It's no question that the expected number of championships has gone up tremendously for Durant with his move. So I will not harp on this point. What is interesting is that being the best player on these future championship teams is definitely up for grabs. In this regard, his main competition is not Lebron, not Westbrook, but Curry. What is interesting is that the gulf between Curry and Durant is very very small, especially when it comes to postseason play. It is conceivable that Durant looked at the Warriors situation and thought that this would be the best place for him to win a title as well as the best place for him to be the best player on the team. So let's say that the Warriors win about 4 championships and somehow Durant manages to be the best player on 3 of these teams, accumulating 3 finals MVP awards. Like it or not, this can change the way we view Durant (as well as Curry) in 5-10 years. The new narrative would be that Durant came to the Warriors in a controversial manner but he wound up being the best player on that team leading the team to 4 titles. The story would be sufficient enough to put Durant in conversation as one of the 10 best players to play the game whereas Curry would be the one who would take a slight hit in the GOAT list. It remains to be seen.

So overall, with Curry's dip in playoff performance as well as his propensity to get dinged up, Durant has an excellent chance to simultaneously win championships and win MVP awards. Contrary to what lot of people have claimed, the move did not destroy his legacy. The move put him in the best place to enhance his legacy as at the end, only the results matter.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Re: Kevin Durant to GSW: Smart Move for His Legacy 

Post#2 » by Little Digger » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:38 am

I think it was more about

1. the GREAT ball movement involved with an unselfish style of winning basketball the warriors play and how he fits in it (near perfectly IMO)

2. the lifestyle change

3. huge new business opportunities

than it was KD worrying about his legacy..
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 16,945

Post#3 » by MrBigShot » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:39 am

Regardless of how many championships he wins, it wont do even half of what winning in OKC would've done for his legacy. And I truly believe that had he immediately re-signed with OKC, he could've recruited Horford and they would've had a very, very good shot at winning a championship.

Obviously, eliminating OKC as a contender and then joining the Warriors gives him the best chance to win, but whatever way you look at it, he's joining a team that won 73 games. And it's a product of how much importance the media & fans have placed on championships (some people legitimately think Bill Russell is the GOAT, a ridiculous notion).
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Smitson
Starter
And1: 2,945

Post#4 » by Smitson » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:40 am

Durant is a great player but he lacks the killer instinct needed to ever be mentioned in any top ten GOAT.
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#5 » by MisterHibachi » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:43 am

Well, we know his team can win a ring without him so I don't really know what any future rings really add to his legacy. He joined a team that was getting dynasty talk and was favoured to win the 2017 championship without him. So he's not going to be their most valuable player and that's really what's most important.

And he's just not a top 10 talent imo. I can see him cracking the top 20 if he puts up enough quality seasons.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#6 » by pelifan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:46 am

I disagree. It's one thing to start a team from scratch (Miami). It's another to join an already championship team. If he wins one in OKC he gets to Dirk, Wade, KG territory. Not sure he will now. Probably more like Barkley, Malone, Nash range.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#7 » by Little Digger » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:47 am

MisterHibachi wrote:Well, we know his team can win a ring without him so I don't really know what any future rings really add to his legacy. He joined a team that was getting dynasty talk and was favoured to win the 2017 championship without him. So he's not going to be their most valuable player and that's really what's most important.
I think he will be the warriors best player for the next half decade and I don't think he cares much about his legacy or current public opinion..If he did he wouldn't have made the move to the Bay..
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
mtron929
Head Coach

Post#8 » by mtron929 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:48 am

MrBigShot wrote:Regardless of how many championships he wins, it wont do even half of what winning in OKC would've done for his legacy. And I truly believe that had he immediately re-signed with OKC, he could've recruited Horford and they would've had a very, very good shot at winning a championship.

Obviously, eliminating OKC as a contender and then joining the Warriors gives him the best chance to win, but whatever way you look at it, he's joining a team that won 73 games. And it's a product of how much importance the media & fans have placed on championships (some people legitimately think Bill Russell is the GOAT, a ridiculous notion).

If the Warriors win 3-4 championships, the players will get tremendous amount of credit. If Kevin Durant somehow winds up being the best player for the GSW on their future run, then we are pretty much forced to recognize his contributions. I can't think of a scenario in which the best player (assuming that he beats out Curry during this future run) of a mini-dynasty team taking a hit in the legacy due to how the team was formed. Moreover, in 5-10 years time when the emotional response of him leaving the OKC dies out, we can look at this whole situation in a more level-headed manner and recognize his accomplishments accordingly.
mtron929
Head Coach

Post#9 » by mtron929 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:50 am

MisterHibachi wrote:Well, we know his team can win a ring without him so I don't really know what any future rings really add to his legacy. He joined a team that was getting dynasty talk and was favoured to win the 2017 championship without him. So he's not going to be their most valuable player and that's really what's most important.

And he's just not a top 10 talent imo. I can see him cracking the top 20 if he puts up enough quality seasons.

You say this now, but if the Warriors go on a 4 peat run and he has 3 finals MVP, everyone will claim that Durant is one of the top 10-15 best players of all time. The recognition might happen begrudgingly but it will happen because best players on championship teams will always be recognized as winning is everything.
mtron929
Head Coach

Post#10 » by mtron929 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:51 am

Obviously, this whole thing changes if either the Warriors fail to win any championships or if Kevin Durant is clearly seen as inferior to Curry. In the latter case, I do agree that multiple championships won't really help out Durant much for his legacy. But if he does beat out Curry, then Durant's legacy will enhance.
6rings4LeClutch
Pro Prospect
And1: 575

Post#11 » by 6rings4LeClutch » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:52 am

Durant to OKC is not even close to what Lebron is to Cleveland. Definitely will have a great legacy when he wins his rings.
Let's Go Dubs!!!
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#12 » by pelifan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:52 am

I think GS will spoon feed him in the regular season though. They don't care about the win total, and he's going to put up monster stats. But in the playoffs he'll be much less involved.
6rings4LeClutch
Pro Prospect
And1: 575

Post#13 » by 6rings4LeClutch » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:55 am

pelifan wrote:I think GS will spoon feed him in the regular season though. They don't care about the win total, and he's going to put up monster stats. But in the playoffs he'll be much less involved.

Yeah he'll just stop shooting.
Let's Go Dubs!!!
mtron929
Head Coach

Post#14 » by mtron929 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:57 am

pelifan wrote:I think GS will spoon feed him in the regular season though. They don't care about the win total, and he's going to put up monster stats. But in the playoffs he'll be much less involved.

I don't know about that. This is not like the Shaq-Kobe and the Lebron-Wade situations where one player is clearly superior to another. I would say finals MVP race between Curry and Durant (assuming that the Warriors win it all) would be a pick em at this point.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,217

Post#15 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:59 am

Little Digger wrote:I think it was more about

1. the GREAT ball movement involved with an unselfish style of winning basketball the warriors play and how he fits in it (near perfectly IMO)

2. the lifestyle change

This. I mean is anyone going to try and make the case for living in OKC over San Fran? He now gets to play with teammates that are all about ball movement. I believe he was good friends with Westbrook off the court, but there was plenty of times you could see those two getting very frustrated with each others playing style. And just ask Patrick Willis the type of off court business opportunities there are in that area. I think KD just wanted to upgrade his life on the court and off the court and he did that with this move
mtron929
Head Coach

Post#16 » by mtron929 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:01 am

Little Digger wrote:I think it was more about

2. the lifestyle change

Maybe. But even if these were the primary motivations, my main point stands. That is, Durant has put himself (to the contrary of many other's opinions) in an excellent position to maximize his legacy.
taikibansei
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,633

Post#17 » by taikibansei » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:03 am

Not again. :roll: How many posts do we need "explaining" to us that Durant really did the "brave" thing by quitting on the team that almost carried his ass to the NBA finals this past season to join the very team that came back (from a 3-1 deficit) and beat him--a team, by the way, which would have been favorites to win the finals next year WITHOUT DURANT. I.e., adding Durant moves GSW from co-favorites (with Cleveland) to prohibitive favorites--boy, that's going to make a big difference for KD's "legacy."

I swear some of the posters here are on Durant's payroll, working for his public relations team. Look, I think it's really cool that GSW--which was historically great last season--just added another really great (albeit testicularly challenged) player. That's peachy--enjoy your success. Just don't keep posting again and again and again about what a hero the dude is for coming over to you guys.....
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!
phraoh
Sixth Man
And1: 714

Post#18 » by phraoh » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:04 am

Not sure why anyone is talking about 4-5 championships for the Warriors....I hate when fans only look at today, and can't look into the future at all. Let's say Warriors win this year (which I still don't think will happen)....next year at this time, Livingston, Igudola, Durant, Curry, and Pachulia will ALL be free agents and have CAP HOLDS...so I would assume they will lose Livingston and Igudola (since they have each already won a ring and this will each be their last big payday). Curry will make 27 mill instead of 12, Durant will make another 4 mill from what he makes this year...and Pachula will take his 2 year 25 mill contract with Golden State or elsewhere. Throw in probably a new CBA, and who knows.
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,857

Post#19 » by 510TWSS » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:07 am

MrBigShot wrote:Regardless of how many championships he wins, it wont do even half of what winning in OKC would've done for his legacy. And I truly believe that had he immediately re-signed with OKC, he could've recruited Horford and they would've had a very, very good shot at winning a championship.

Articles have touched on the horford thing. OKC approached KD in the first meeting about cancelling the Hamptons meetings and signing a 5 year deal in part using the savings to go after Horford.

KD balked at that plan likely since that wasn't the best financial decision for himself. Also uncertainty over Westbrook staying, so there was literally no reason to sign a 5 year at that stage in FA.

He could've stayed with OKC and go hard for Horford but that leaves KD in the unenviable position to sacrifice and take less money while also being left to the possibility that Westbrook bolts the next summer.

He did what was in the best interest of himself.
mtron929
Head Coach

Post#20 » by mtron929 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:08 am

taikibansei wrote:Not again. :roll: How many posts do we need "explaining" to us that Durant really did the "brave" thing by quitting on the team that almost carried his ass to the NBA finals this past season to join the very team that came back (from a 3-1 deficit) and beat him--a team, by the way, which would have been favorites to win the finals next year WITHOUT DURANT. I.e., adding Durant moves GSW from co-favorites (with Cleveland) to prohibitive favorites--boy, that's going to make a big difference for KD's "legacy."

I swear some of the posters here are on Durant's payroll, working for his public relations team. Look, I think it's really cool that GSW--which was historically great last season--just added another really great (albeit testicularly challenged) player. That's peachy--enjoy your success. Just don't keep posting again and again and again about what a hero the dude is for coming over to you guys.....

Well, I am not saying that Durant did a "brave" thing. I think he made a smart decision. And I am just challenging the conventional wisdom that Durant ruined his legacy.

Return to The General Board