Kevin Durant to GSW: Smart Move for His Legacy

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Re: Kevin Durant to GSW: Smart Move for His Legacy 

Post#21 » by Little Digger » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:09 am

mtron929 wrote:
Little Digger wrote:I think it was more about

1. the GREAT ball movement involved with an unselfish style of winning basketball the warriors play and how he fits in it (near perfectly IMO)

2. the lifestyle change

3. huge new business opportunities

than it was KD worrying about his legacy..

Maybe. But even if these were the primary motivations, my main point stands. That is, Durant has put himself (to the contrary of many other's opinions) in an excellent position to maximize his legacy.
To be honest up unitil this decade, I never even heard the term "legacy" used in regard to what great NBA players were thinking about ..I dont think any of the past superstars cared much about what people would think of them 30 years into the future..I'm not even convinced any do today..It's all about the money , or the lifestyle or the basketball ..or all 3 (in the majority of cases)
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
mtron929
Head Coach
And1: 5,267

Post#22 » by mtron929 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:09 am

phraoh wrote:Not sure why anyone is talking about 4-5 championships for the Warriors....I hate when fans only look at today, and can't look into the future at all. Let's say Warriors win this year (which I still don't think will happen)....next year at this time, Livingston, Igudola, Durant, Curry, and Pachulia will ALL be free agents and have CAP HOLDS...so I would assume they will lose Livingston and Igudola (since they have each already won a ring and this will each be their last big payday). Curry will make 27 mill instead of 12, Durant will make another 4 mill from what he makes this year...and Pachula will take his 2 year 25 mill contract with Golden State or elsewhere. Throw in probably a new CBA, and who knows.

Well, I am not saying that it is certain that they will win multiple champions. But there's a very good chance that the Warriors team will enjoy a lot of success in the next few years.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,365

Post#23 » by ILOVEIT » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:10 am

The starting 5 of a historically great team will be immortalized. Let's say Warriors win 4 championships over the next 6 years....

all future references to great teams will like start with...."well the Bulls and Warriors were...."

I doubt many will put some kind of asteric there saying "wow...one of the greatest teams ever assembled..but....it was sort of cheating"

History will say they were great...and they were great because Durant was ALSO on the team.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
taikibansei
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,633

Post#24 » by taikibansei » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:12 am

1. the GREAT ball movement involved with an unselfish style of winning basketball the warriors play and how he fits in it (near perfectly IMO)

2. the lifestyle change

See, you post this B.S. on every single Durant thread. What "new huge business opportunities"? With the rise of the Internet and current 24/7 media coverage, you no longer have to play for a large market to make money. Heck, LeBron rakes in the bucks in Cleveland, for heck's sake.

Oh, and LMAO at your criticism of OKC's style of play. GSW's "great" ball movement was a Durant-choke (two consecutive fourth quarter disappearances) away from being sent home early. I.e., OKC seemed to do just fine against the "winning basketball" of the Warriors.....
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!
Little Digger
Head Coach

Post#25 » by Little Digger » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:15 am

taikibansei wrote:

2. the lifestyle change

Oh, and LMAO at your criticism of OKC's style of play. GSW's "great" ball movement was a Durant-choke (two consecutive fourth quarter disappearances) away from being sent home early. I.e., OKC seemed to do just fine against the "winning basketball" of the Warriors.....
I believe the warriors had more assists than any team since the very early 90's

I hate when stone cold facts get in the way of a good take..
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
taikibansei
Lead Assistant

Post#26 » by taikibansei » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:15 am

mtron929 wrote:
taikibansei wrote:Not again. :roll: How many posts do we need "explaining" to us that Durant really did the "brave" thing by quitting on the team that almost carried his ass to the NBA finals this past season to join the very team that came back (from a 3-1 deficit) and beat him--a team, by the way, which would have been favorites to win the finals next year WITHOUT DURANT. I.e., adding Durant moves GSW from co-favorites (with Cleveland) to prohibitive favorites--boy, that's going to make a big difference for KD's "legacy."

I swear some of the posters here are on Durant's payroll, working for his public relations team. Look, I think it's really cool that GSW--which was historically great last season--just added another really great (albeit testicularly challenged) player. That's peachy--enjoy your success. Just don't keep posting again and again and again about what a hero the dude is for coming over to you guys.....

Well, I am not saying that Durant did a "brave" thing. I think he made a smart decision. And I am just challenging the conventional wisdom that Durant ruined his legacy.

No, he made the safe decision. Which is fine.
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!
Gus McCrae
General Manager
And1: 2,003

Post#27 » by Gus McCrae » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:15 am

Lebrons legacy went through the roof for me when he won in Cleveland. The Golden State rings (if they win) will mean less for Durant than Lebrons meant in Miami since Miami without Lebron isn't a title contender. You can't put a price on what Dirk did for Dallas and for what Lebron did for Cleveland. For Durant to have the best legacy he would've stayed and gone for the big one in OKC but hes playing it safe so he doesn't end up Malone'd or Barkley'd.

Durant legacy chart best to worst:

1. Win in OKC
2. Win in golden state
3. Never win in OKC
4. Never win in Golfen State

He took a relatively safe approach but he's not going for the home run. I would've preferred the home run. Obviously there are other factors as well.
taikibansei
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by taikibansei » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:17 am

Little Digger wrote:
taikibansei wrote:

2. the lifestyle change

See, you post this B.S. on every single Durant thread. What "new huge business opportunities"? With the rise of the Internet and current 24/7 media coverage, you no longer have to play for a large market to make money. Heck, LeBron rakes in the bucks in Cleveland, for heck's sake.

You said KD left OKC because he wanted to be a part of "winning basketball." I pointed out that he was a part of winning basketball--indeed, they were beating GSW pretty darn badly before KD pulled his disappearing act.
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!
mtron929
Head Coach
And1: 5,267

Post#29 » by mtron929 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:18 am

Gus McCrae wrote:Lebrons legacy went through the roof fr me when he won in Cleveland. The Golden State rings (if they win) will mean even less for Durant than Lebrons meant in Miami. At least Miami without Lebron isn't a title contender. You can't put a price on what Dirk did for Dallas and for what Lebron did for Cleveland. For Durant to have the best legacy he would've stayed and gone for the big one in OKC.

There is a trade-off. With the OKC, he might have won a championship, but one can also totally conceive of him not winning any. Moreover, it is not clear that even if he had stayed and somehow they won a championship in the future, that he would have been the best player over Westbrook.

With the Warriors, there is similar level of uncertainty on whether he would be the best player over Curry, but there is less uncertainty on winning a championship.
Gus McCrae
General Manager
And1: 2,003

Post#30 » by Gus McCrae » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:22 am

mtron929 wrote:
Gus McCrae wrote:Lebrons legacy went through the roof fr me when he won in Cleveland. The Golden State rings (if they win) will mean even less for Durant than Lebrons meant in Miami. At least Miami without Lebron isn't a title contender. You can't put a price on what Dirk did for Dallas and for what Lebron did for Cleveland. For Durant to have the best legacy he would've stayed and gone for the big one in OKC.

There is a trade-off. With the OKC, he might have won a championship, but one can also totally conceive of him not winning any. Moreover, it is not clear that even if he had stayed and somehow they won a championship in the future, that he would have been the best player over Westbrook.

With the Warriors, there is similar level of uncertainty on whether he would be the best player over Curry, but there is less uncertainty on winning a championship.
totally agree I actually edited my initial post as your replied.
taikibansei
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by taikibansei » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:30 am

ILOVEIT wrote:The starting 5 of a historically great team will be immortalized. Let's say Warriors win 4 championships over the next 6 years....

all future references to great teams will like start with...."well the Bulls and Warriors were...."

I doubt many will put some kind of asteric there saying "wow...one of the greatest teams ever assembled..but....it was sort of cheating"

History will say they were great...and they were great because Durant was ALSO on the team.

Right, but GSW started being a historically great team two years before KD got there. Look at it this way, if GSW goes undefeated the next regular season with KD, that would represent an improvement of just nine games. :o

So, yeah, GSW will be (actually already is even without KD) historically great, and people will remember that KD joined this awesome team. I really can't foresee how this improves KD's "legacy" (unless Curry, Thompson and Green go down for much of the season and KD still wills them all to the finals). Still, we'll see, huh?
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!
Little Digger
Head Coach

Post#32 » by Little Digger » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:35 am

I still don't understand why so many youngsters care about the "legacy" of these current stars..Almost none of you give a rats ass about the 50's or 60's players just as nobody will give a sh*t in 2056 about Kevin Durant or Kevin Garnett ..
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,857

Post#33 » by 510TWSS » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:14 am

taikibansei wrote:
Little Digger wrote:
taikibansei wrote:

You said KD left OKC because he wanted to be a part of "winning basketball." I pointed out that he was a part of winning basketball--indeed, they were beating GSW pretty darn badly before KD pulled his disappearing act.

Play style mattered heavily, apparently. As well as all the other stuff Digger listed. And how frustrating would it be if all people talked about your job that one time you **** up but 98% of the time you were what made that company good to begin with.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,623

Post#34 » by Cappy_Smurf » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:21 am

A large part of NBA fans will forever look at him as a gutless wonder from this point on, regardless of how anyone tries to spin it. It would be kind of fitting if he spent the entire season on the bench with an injury, and still got his ring anyway.

#spineless
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
Little Digger
Head Coach

Post#35 » by Little Digger » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:24 am

Cappy_Smurf wrote: It would be kind of fitting if he spent the entire season on the bench with an injury,
You seem like a great kid..
taikibansei
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by taikibansei » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:25 am

510TWSS wrote:
taikibansei wrote:
Little Digger wrote: I believe the warriors had more assists than any team since the very early 90's

Play style mattered heavily, apparently. As well as all the other stuff Digger listed. And how frustrating would it be if all people talked about your job that one time you **** up but 98% of the time you were what made that company good to begin with.

:lol: Cry me a river. The dude is making millions at least partly because of the great expectations and partly because it's in the public eye. And yeah, it's tough to be under the media microscope all the time, but again that's why he gets paid.

KD could quit now and take a warehouse job at Walmart--nobody in the national media talks about it when those people mess up, right? Of course, the pay would be a bit less.....
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!
taikibansei
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by taikibansei » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:31 am

510TWSS wrote:
taikibansei wrote:
Little Digger wrote: I believe the warriors had more assists than any team since the very early 90's

Oh, and "play style" seemingly mattered to KD only after the fact--i.e., only after he tried to "justify" his departure by trying to throw his former buddy Westbrook under the bus. KD was the co-star of the darn team. If you have an issue with a guy, tell him then...to his face.

Frankly, I would have respected KD a lot more without these attempted justifications (and without his fan boys constantly posting historically incorrect crap to defend him). I mean, again, it's fine that he's recognized his limitations as a player and leader and chosen to go to a historically great team. Good for him! Just stop pretending that it's something noble.....
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,675

Post#38 » by Capn'O » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:31 am

Depends on whether he wins, how many times, the role he plays on those teams, and who he defeats if he wins.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
MickeyOnTheRise
Ballboy
And1: 18

Post#39 » by MickeyOnTheRise » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:32 am

Cappy_Smurf wrote:A large part of NBA fans will forever look at him as a gutless wonder from this point on, regardless of how anyone tries to spin it. It would be kind of fitting if he spent the entire season on the bench with an injury, and still got his ring anyway.

#spineless

Wishing injury upon a player because he chose a new team as an UFA.

You sound pathetic.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,675

Post#40 » by Capn'O » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:40 am

Put another way - legacies are determined in retrospect. It's probably not a major factor for players making decisions in the moment. Durant made a decision for his career. And I'm over it.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:

Return to The General Board