Who are the leagues most divisive talents?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

pace31
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,335

Re: Who are the leagues most divisive talents? 

Post#41 » by pace31 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:38 pm

Hayward:

20/5/5 player vs. white mormon guy

Fable
Junior
And1: 307

Post#42 » by Fable » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:26 pm

Lebron is the most divisive talent. Opinions of him fluctuate from the second coming of Jordan to "LeBeta who got bailed out by Ray Allen and Kyrie Irving". But after Lebron's almost averaging 30 point triple-double in the 2016 finals more and more people have him in Top 5.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,984

Post#43 » by moocow007 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:48 pm

Yeah I would put Lin up there. You've got the Lin fanatics that thinks he's a superstar (if given the chance). Then you have the absolute Linsanity haters that call him an absolute scrub. When the truth is that he's something in between.
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,793

Post#44 » by yoyoboy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:55 pm

Kyrie and Love. Either they're superstars that LeBron had to collude with in the hopes of even coming close to a title, or they're awful, no-defense losers who the Cavs are better without.

From an all-time perspective, you could also throw LeBron in there. A lot of people have him in their top 3, closing the gap between him and Jordan, while others think it's blasphemous to even throw the guy, "who got carried by the amazing Ray Allen, benefited from a lockout season, and only won this past season because the Warriors choked" en route to his 3 tainted championships, in their top 15.
Birth of the Cool
Analyst
And1: 1,446

Post#45 » by Birth of the Cool » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:14 pm

OrlandoDream wrote:Derozan

Raps fans: "Absolute superstar and Second coming of VC."

Everyone else: "Meh. He's good when he isn't an selfish chucker."

More accurate is:

Raps fans: "Absolute superstar and Second coming of VC."

Raps fans: "He's good when he isn't a selfish chucker.

Everyone else: "Meh"
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,610

Post#46 » by bmurph128 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:15 pm

yoyoboy wrote:Kyrie and Love. Either they're superstars that LeBron had to collude with in the hopes of even coming close to a title, or they're awful, no-defense losers who the Cavs are better without.

From an all-time perspective, you could also throw LeBron in there. A lot of people have him in their top 3, closing the gap between him and Jordan, while others think it's blasphemous to even throw the guy, "who got carried by the amazing Ray Allen, benefited from a lockout season, and only won this past season because the Warriors choked" en route to his 3 tainted championships, in their top 15.

I wish I could and-1 this more than once.

Saw lots of people talking about Love, but based on a discussion being had on the PC board about Kyrie, have to throw him in there as well. He's either a top 5 PG/good player with deficiencies/ball hog that doesn't play defense and not a proven winner without LeBron
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#47 » by loserX » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:55 pm

Pjax4Prez wrote:I'd say Carmelo Anthony fits into this category

Some believe he's a all-time scorer of the basketball, that's about average to above average at about everything else, but he hasn't had great surrounding talent.

Other believe he's a selfish chucker that doesn't care about winning, defense, passing, etc.

Surprised this name hasn't been mentioned more often.
Goner
Pro Prospect
And1: 695

Post#48 » by Goner » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:13 pm

lars_rosenberg wrote:Most superstars that have not proven to be winners.
CP3 is one of the few that is widely respeced even if he's never won anything, because he's a team player and people likes this kind of players.
Griffin, Harden, Melo, Westbrook, Cousins, DeRozan, Dwight etc... all of them are critizised for aspects of their game: being inefficient, being soft, being bad on defense, being chuckers etc...

The second-tier talents are more interesting in this regard: players like Rondo, Kevin Love, Rudy Gay, Lin.

I like the way you snuck those jabs in there. Subtle.
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,146

Post#49 » by bleu » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:25 pm

I would go with Harrison Barnes

Some people believe he's a young, talented, future star in this league who was a big time part of getting Golden State a ring. This is evident by his max contract. Other people (like myself), think that he's a 10M per year guy at best who benefited from a great system with the Warriors and the rest of his career will be viewed as somewhat of a let down as he won't meet many of the big expectations some people have for him.
saintEscaton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,865

Post#50 » by saintEscaton » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:30 pm

Easily Harden. His name is triggering here and apparently he's just a manufactured superstar/glorified flopper who is the only beneficiary of ticky tacky calls
Jonestown Suicide Squad

[. Sign the Petition To Force Sarver Into Selling Our Team

https://www.change.org/p/robert-sarver-sell-the-phoenix-suns-basketball-team-2

jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,039

Post#51 » by jazzfan1971 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:43 pm

You guys took all the good ones. I'll throw in Ibaka as I think a lot of folks are too low on him.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#52 » by KuruptedCav » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:48 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:Ricky Rubio - he's top 3 in defense and playmaking and bottom 3 in putting the ball in the hoop, so there's a pretty wide variety of opinions

Came here to post this. I will fight you on the street over Rubio, I think hes great. So many people think hes garbage. His impact on the game always been so much higher than his statline suggests.

Yep, I'll grant that he has a huge impact on the game. Timberwolves 36% winning percentage since he was drafted. An injury prone posing guard who can't shoot is a good way to impact the team.

Yep, divisive...

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,507

Post#53 » by Jadoogar » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:53 pm

Carmelo is a really good choice. Some people used to put him on Lebron's level and others thought he was overrated scorer.

Rubio and Harden are great choices too.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,066

Post#54 » by UcanUwill » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:20 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:Ricky Rubio - he's top 3 in defense and playmaking and bottom 3 in putting the ball in the hoop, so there's a pretty wide variety of opinions

Came here to post this. I will fight you on the street over Rubio, I think hes great. So many people think hes garbage. His impact on the game always been so much higher than his statline suggests.

Yep, I'll grant that he has a huge impact on the game. Timberwolves 36% winning percentage since he was drafted. An injury prone posing guard who can't shoot is a good way to impact the team.

Yep, divisive...

Check his +/- stats. Minny is always much better than he is on the floor, a winning team even, 0.2 +/- this season, which is actually pretty bad compared to previous seasons. I am not denying hes been injury prone, thats a big reason why Minny sucked so much.
America - We didn't win World cup cause we don't care for FIBA.
Germany - Bruh, we don't even care for Basketball.
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,122

Post#55 » by GopherIt! » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:32 pm

UcanUwill wrote:I dont think people dislike Giannis, but I think they dislike all the hype and hyperboles that follows this guy.

GA can leap over tall buildings in a single bound AND get the assist on the play.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#56 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:43 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

Yep, divisive...

always getting injured and can't carry his team to the playoffs - sounds like Kyrie Irving pre Lebron
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,691

Post#57 » by floppymoose » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:14 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Milbuck wrote:Demarcus Cousins.

Really? His attitude & demeanor sucks. But, do people really question his talent?

I don't question his talent, but I don't want him on my team because I don't trust him not to blow it.

He's the first guy I thought of here.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#58 » by lars_rosenberg » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:22 pm

Goner wrote:
lars_rosenberg wrote:Most superstars that have not proven to be winners.
CP3 is one of the few that is widely respeced even if he's never won anything, because he's a team player and people likes this kind of players.
Griffin, Harden, Melo, Westbrook, Cousins, DeRozan, Dwight etc... all of them are critizised for aspects of their game: being inefficient, being soft, being bad on defense, being chuckers etc...

The second-tier talents are more interesting in this regard: players like Rondo, Kevin Love, Rudy Gay, Lin.

I like the way you snuck those jabs in there. Subtle.

I want to let you know that I dislike everything about the Clippers, especially Blake, CP3 and Doc, but I respect CP3's basketball skills.
ClubLakers KB8
Starter
And1: 585

Post#59 » by ClubLakers KB8 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:36 pm

D'Angelo Russell. People either think he's gonna be an absolute stud or the next Randy Foye. There's not much in between.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,664

Post#60 » by rzzzzz » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:41 am

Sam Hinkie

Return to The General Board