Report: OKC wants to extend Russell Westbrook, sign Blake Griffin in 2017

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,678

Re: Report: OKC wants to extend Russell Westbrook, sign Blake Griffin in 2017 

Post#41 » by jc23 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:19 am

seems like the move to make, that would make okc the 2nd best team in the west and with golden state having to pay all these super max deals who knows what their depth will be like after this season. I would take the risk and not trade Russ this year. Because without him you will never get a big name there and its very unlikely you ever drat a player as good as him again.
Be curious, Not judgmental
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#42 » by magnumt » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:23 am

--Mags
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
WestbrookGOATed
Veteran
And1: 2,376

Post#43 » by WestbrookGOATed » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:49 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:This is so funny, NO FREE AGENTS ARE COMING TO OKLAHOMA CITY! I don't care if the guy was born in raised in Oklahoma. He's not going from Los Angeles to Oklahoma City. OKC had their chance by building through the draft. Their run is over and it's time to look at the draft again. It is time for the OKC's front office to suffer for trading away guys they didn't want to pay ultimately leading to getting left in the cold by a franchise caliber player that wanted a CHIP. So they hope to lure a franchise caliber player by way of free agency? LMAO! OKC is a more terrible destination than Dallas! Have fun OKC front office!

Laugh at my team all you want the team you like is probably trash unless you're a bandwagon Warriors fan. By the way if KD was a franchise caliber player he wouldn't be suiting up for Golden State next season. How much salt do you consume on a daily basis? Sounds like you need to cut back.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,366

Post#44 » by ILOVEIT » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:57 am

Bummer...but the reality is that big stars are not going to CHOOSE to come to smaller markets. Teams like Kings can get a trade to force a player to them....But I just don't see Griffin deciding to come to OKC when he can go to more "glamorous" cities....Miami....LA....New York...all that. No offense to OKC...it's just a small market reality.

So for the Thunder GM to PLAN on something like that...? He should be fired immediately.

TRADE Westbrook NOW...for lottery picks or young talent....or players locked into longer contracts.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
SFrush
Sixth Man
And1: 778

Post#45 » by SFrush » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:04 am

Best2EverDoIt wrote:Edited

I watched Harden's E60 a while back. The way he described extension talks it sounded like his departure was more financial related than him wanting a bigger role.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,862

Post#46 » by Effigy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:25 am

monopoman wrote:Well we also heard all the rumors a year or so back, that KD was heavily considering signing with the Wizards so he could go back home in this off-season.

In fact the only all-star to go back home before the player became a shell of his former self recently was Aldridge. You could argue Howard also but he is not the player we saw back in his Orlando days anymore. Going home is a nice narrative, and it is a nice little bonus but I really doubt that it is the main factor in 99% of players decisions.

I feel like there's a guy from Ohio that just did that who's still pretty good.

Sakkreth wrote:
Skin wrote:They should try to sign Steph Curry.

Nah he chokes when it matters.

Not as much as the guy who just left.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,586

Post#47 » by SelfishPlayer » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:30 am

Trolling is not allowed here -- KF10
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
WestbrookGOATed
Veteran

Post#48 » by WestbrookGOATed » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:34 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:Edited

We'll see how you feel after Westbrook is extended. You still haven't mentioned your team?
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,288

Post#49 » by Roscoe Sheed » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:05 am

dc wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:I wouldn't say that Aldridge is a shell of his former self. His numbers were down because he was on a better team but he is still at top power forward in the nba

I think he said as such. He said Aldridge was one of the few stars to go back to their "hometown" BEFORE he became a shell of his former self. Aldridge right now is obviously playing as well as he ever has.

Interesting that he and Howard are basically the same age but one guy is clearly on the physical decline while the other is as good as ever.
sorry. Should have read it more carefully
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,471

Post#50 » by dc » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:22 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:
dc wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:Interesting that he and Howard are basically the same age but one guy is clearly on the physical decline while the other is as good as ever.

That's because it's about total career minutes played and injury history more than it is about pure age. Dwight suffered a major injury and has played more minutes.

Howard been in the league 2 years longer, but something tells me 32 or 33 year old Aldridge will be better than 30 year old Dwight.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,868

Post#51 » by LakersLegacy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:27 am

They should trade for Griffin because if not I think WB is leaving.

All-Star Bogo
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,263

Post#52 » by Black Jack » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:57 am

ILOVEIT wrote:Bummer...but the reality is that big stars are not going to CHOOSE to come to smaller markets. Teams like Kings can get a trade to force a player to them....But I just don't see Griffin deciding to come to OKC when he can go to more "glamorous" cities....Miami....LA....New York...all that. No offense to OKC...it's just a small market reality.

So for the Thunder GM to PLAN on something like that...? He should be fired immediately.

TRADE Westbrook NOW...for lottery picks or young talent....or players locked into longer contracts.

Agreed. I just spent some time in LA for the first time in a few years and did the rounds of Malibu, Venice, Hollywood, etc. Man. Seriously there are so, so many fine women there. If you are a young rich famous millionaire, you just are NOT leaving willingly. I cannot see it.
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Post#53 » by bondom34 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:00 am

Black Jack wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:Bummer...but the reality is that big stars are not going to CHOOSE to come to smaller markets. Teams like Kings can get a trade to force a player to them....But I just don't see Griffin deciding to come to OKC when he can go to more "glamorous" cities....Miami....LA....New York...all that. No offense to OKC...it's just a small market reality.

Agreed. I just spent some time in LA for the first time in a few years and did the rounds of Malibu, Venice, Hollywood, etc. Man. Seriously there are so, so many fine women there. If you are a young rich famous millionaire, you just are NOT leaving willingly. I cannot see it.

I could.

I'm the exact opposite, hate cities, hate being near cities. I've never once had the desire to live in one, and have avoided taking jobs in big cities for that reason. Different people feel differently. And from all indications Russ isn't as big city as his fashion leads people to think.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
WestbrookGOATed
Veteran

Post#54 » by WestbrookGOATed » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:13 am

Black Jack wrote:

I believe you. One thing in OKC's favor is Russ is married so that probably won't be a factor.
BloodNinja
Analyst
And1: 5,527

Post#55 » by BloodNinja » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:51 am

Best2EverDoIt wrote:
Black Jack wrote:

I believe you. One thing in OKC's favor is Russ is married so that probably won't be a factor.

I'm not commenting on Russ specifically but a lot of married athletes cheat anyway.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Post#56 » by bondom34 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:19 am

BloodNinja wrote:
Best2EverDoIt wrote:
Black Jack wrote:

I'm not commenting on Russ specifically but a lot of married athletes cheat anyway.

I know you said you weren't, and not to be that guy, but he's got a rep of a really great husband. From a few places I've heard the same thing, he's the rare pro athlete who's not a guy running around on his wife
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,220

Post#57 » by monopoman » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:25 am

Effigy wrote:
monopoman wrote:Well we also heard all the rumors a year or so back, that KD was heavily considering signing with the Wizards so he could go back home in this off-season.

In fact the only all-star to go back home before the player became a shell of his former self recently was Aldridge. You could argue Howard also but he is not the player we saw back in his Orlando days anymore. Going home is a nice narrative, and it is a nice little bonus but I really doubt that it is the main factor in 99% of players decisions.

I feel like there's a guy from Ohio that just did that who's still pretty good.

Yeah, I forgot about Lebron but it's a bit of a different case he promised Cleveland a championship before he left for Miami, and he was a part of that organization before. I don't think Durant even met with the Wizards when he was pursuing his free agency options.
NaturalThunder
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#58 » by NaturalThunder » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:34 pm

nrockwaychicago wrote:unless oladipo becomes a player i don't think he's capable of being, adding griffin wouldn't make them as good as they were with durant.

No, probably not, and I don't think we'll be able to sign Blake.

However, if Adams continues his current trajectory, and Oladipo does improve to some degree, then OKC could be very close to being as good with Russ + Blake as they were with Russ + KD.
Said in a thread about which point guards would make OKC better if they replaced Westbrook:
Coxy wrote:I think with a PG like George Hill, they'd be better than current.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,282

Post#59 » by Old Man Game » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:43 pm

Realistically, Griffin's had enough injuries in his career that it wouldn't make sense for him to leave a 5 year max for a 4 year max in any other market. The only thing that makes it seem semi-plausible is just that his parents still live here and from what I understand they have a pretty tight knit family.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#60 » by Nolan » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:49 pm

I'm sure they do.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."

Return to The General Board