Houston Rockets

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

AMW27
Pro Prospect
And1: 243

Houston Rockets 

Post#1 » by AMW27 » Fri Aug 5, 2016 3:58 pm

A lot of people probably written Houston off as being a playoff team next season. But I believe they will be a playoff team. At the end of the day Harden is a MVP capibur player and he will find a way to get them in despite this team's flaws.

Howard walking may be a big loss but I think they'll survive.
NickAnderson
General Manager
And1: 2,922

Re: Houston Rockets 

Post#2 » by NickAnderson » Fri Aug 5, 2016 3:59 pm

Playoff teams are usually playoff teams.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using RealGM mobile app
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,148

Post#3 » by tsherkin » Fri Aug 5, 2016 4:15 pm

What are they running? Harden, Ryan Anderson, Eric Gordon, Ariza, Brewer, Capela, Prigs and the Beez, plus Motty? It's possible. Harden IS really good, even if he plays ugly basketball. Their offense should be just fine. I wonder what their D will be like without Dwight to help counter Harden, so we'll see, but they aren't right out of it.
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,530

Post#4 » by Bill Pidto » Fri Aug 5, 2016 4:17 pm

tsherkin wrote:What are they running? Harden, Ryan Anderson, Eric Gordon, Ariza, Brewer, Capela, Prigs and the Beez, plus Motty? It's possible. Harden IS really good, even if he plays ugly basketball. Their offense should be just fine. I wonder what their D will be like without Dwight to help counter Harden, so we'll see, but they aren't right out of it.

But you think the Knicks will miss the playoffs???
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,148

Post#5 » by tsherkin » Fri Aug 5, 2016 4:20 pm

Bill Pidto wrote:But you think the Knicks will miss the playoffs???

Did you bother to read what I wrote?

I don't think Houston is a lock for the playoffs. I don't think that they're a guaranteed lotto team, that's not the same thing. As to the Knicks, I think that everything in the world with them depends on health, and I envision them in the 8-10 range based on what I expect to actually happen. They have a lot of "ifs" to work through in order to be a really good team. Also it bears mention that Harden is noticeably better than anyone on New York.

Don't make stuff up just to be incendiary.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Post#6 » by Slava » Fri Aug 5, 2016 4:32 pm

There's enough quality around harden for them to be a playoff team. If I'm not wrong, I remember their defensive metrics being much better last season when they went small with with Capela and Ariza playing the 5 & 4.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
DaKnicksAreBack
Analyst
And1: 1,785

Post#7 » by DaKnicksAreBack » Fri Aug 5, 2016 4:34 pm

For all the hate james harden gets because of his defense, hes easily one of the best players in the nba offensively. Hes so ungaurdable its not even funny. It doesnt look like theyll make the playoffs if you look at their team on paper, but i didnt think they would make it to the playoffs the year they made the western conference finals under mchale, so im not going to bet against them this time around.
AMW27
Pro Prospect

Re: RE: Re: Houston Rockets 

Post#8 » by AMW27 » Fri Aug 5, 2016 5:29 pm

FirePjax wrote:For all the hate james harden gets because of his defense, hes easily one of the best players in the nba offensively. Hes so ungaurdable its not even funny. It doesnt look like theyll make the playoffs if you look at their team on paper, but i didnt think they would make it to the playoffs the year they made the western conference finals under mchale, so im not going to bet against them this time around.

Exactly. I can't name even ten players in the league that I would tale over Harden.
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,290

Post#9 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Fri Aug 5, 2016 5:32 pm

Losing Howard was definitely a blow, but he wasn't fitting too well anyway, and didn't really seem as though he wanted to be there anymore either. They did pick up some pretty good talents as well though & with the type of player Harden is, even if they underperform I could see him slinging that Houston team into the playoffs regardless.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#10 » by flow » Fri Aug 5, 2016 5:37 pm

tsherkin wrote:

I don't think Houston is a lock for the playoffs. I don't think that they're a guaranteed lotto team, that's not the same thing. As to the Knicks, I think that everything in the world with them depends on health, and I envision them in the 8-10 range based on what I expect to actually happen. They have a lot of "ifs" to work through in order to be a really good team. Also it bears mention that Harden is noticeably better than anyone on New York.

At their best, you'd take Harden over Melo?

Tetlak
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,134

Post#11 » by Tetlak » Fri Aug 5, 2016 5:41 pm

flow wrote:
tsherkin wrote:

That ones just easy. Harden is simply better than Melo. I don't think anybody aside from Knicks fans will disagree.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#12 » by flow » Fri Aug 5, 2016 5:48 pm

Tetlak wrote:
flow wrote:
tsherkin wrote:

That ones just easy. Harden is simply better than Melo. I don't think anybody aside from Knicks fans will disagree.

I think there may actually be some Rockets fans who disagree. I'm a fan of neither team, but I'd take Melo. Better, more versatile all-around player.

King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#13 » by King of Canada » Fri Aug 5, 2016 5:53 pm

Threads on the GB moving toward Knicks discussion is like Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
CnG
Rookie
And1: 2,554

Re: RE: Re: Houston Rockets 

Post#14 » by CnG » Fri Aug 5, 2016 6:00 pm

AMW27 wrote:
FirePjax wrote:For all the hate james harden gets because of his defense, hes easily one of the best players in the nba offensively. Hes so ungaurdable its not even funny. It doesnt look like theyll make the playoffs if you look at their team on paper, but i didnt think they would make it to the playoffs the year they made the western conference finals under mchale, so im not going to bet against them this time around.

Exactly. I can't name even ten players in the league that I would tale over Harden.

Harden is (I hope) a consensus top 10 player in the league. Despite Klay's improvements to match Harden off the court, on the court Harden is definitely the best SG and I have him only behind Curry and KD in terms of offence.

I thought Harden was getting too overrated in 14-15, but 15-16 the dude was getting disrespected.

It'll be interesting to see who finishes above one another in terms of OKC/Houston. Who has the better supporting cast, Russ or Harden? It'd be interesting to see what people think.
Read on Twitter
AMW27
Pro Prospect

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Houston Rockets 

Post#15 » by AMW27 » Fri Aug 5, 2016 6:28 pm

CnG wrote:
AMW27 wrote:

Harden is (I hope) a consensus top 10 player in the league. Despite Klay's improvements to match Harden off the court, on the court Harden is definitely the best SG and I have him only behind Curry and KD in terms of offence.

I thought Harden was getting too overrated in 14-15, but 15-16 the dude was getting disrespected.

It'll be interesting to see who finishes above one another in terms of OKC/Houston. Who has the better supporting cast, Russ or Harden? It'd be interesting to see what people think.

Yeah I agree. Harden didn't even get elected to an all NBA team last season, which was absurd.

I hear a lot of people say they believe Westbrook can win league MVP next year. I doubt it. I don't think they will be a top seeded team like most think they will. I have OKC finishing no higher than sixth seed.
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,530

Post#16 » by Bill Pidto » Fri Aug 5, 2016 6:41 pm

What's with all the Harden love here? That team collapsed. I thought he left people with the impression this year that, despite his scoring, he can't really be a franchise guy. Am I wrong?
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,639

Post#17 » by SelfishPlayer » Fri Aug 5, 2016 6:50 pm

Harden is a stats guy. The organization doubled down and hired a couch that could help him produce more stats. Will increased stats from Harden and better shooters get them into the Playoffs? It will be fun watching it. Harden may average 35 ppg.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,134

Post#18 » by Froob » Fri Aug 5, 2016 7:10 pm

They're in the West, so they will certainly be in the mix.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
NothingButLuck
Senior
And1: 433

Post#19 » by NothingButLuck » Fri Aug 5, 2016 7:34 pm

flow wrote:
Tetlak wrote:
flow wrote:

I think there may actually be some Rockets fans who disagree. I'm a fan of neither team, but I'd take Melo. Better, more versatile all-around player.

Melo is more versatile? And prime Melo was infamous for being a bad defender. His scoring was never as efficient as Harden in his career and he never playmake for other on the team. Versatile? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#20 » by Scalabrine » Fri Aug 5, 2016 7:45 pm

Their depth chart:
Capela/Nene
Anderson/Motiejunas/Harrell
Ariza/Beasley/Decker
Harden/Brewer/McDaniels
Beverly/Gordon/Prigioni

They are relying on Ryan Anderson, Eric Gordon, and Motiejunas healthy, which should be a big concern. I wasn't really a big fan of the D'Antoni hiring at all, but they have built a roster that could be pretty perfect for his style. I think that if those guys all play over 65 games then they will make the playoffs.
Go Knicks!

Return to The General Board