What coaches willingly play rookies?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

vannzee
Sophomore
And1: 8

What coaches willingly play rookies? 

Post#1 » by vannzee » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:47 am

I feel like coaches inherity dislike playing rookies over veterans unless the rookie is a prodigious talent. As I cruise these pages alot of coach criticisms revolve around said coaches unwillingness to play rookies.

My question is which coaches, employed or now unemployed are the most comfortable playing rookies?
vannzee
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Re: What coaches willingly play rookies? 

Post#2 » by OrlandoDream » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:48 am

vannzee wrote:I feel like coaches inherity dislike playing rookies over veterans unless the rookie is a prodigious talent. As I cruise these pages alot of coach criticisms revolve around said coaches unwillingness to play rookies.

My question is which coaches, employed or now unemployed are the most comfortable playing rookies?

TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,720

Post#3 » by TinmanZBoy » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:49 am

vannzee wrote:I feel like coaches inherity dislike playing rookies over veterans unless the rookie is a prodigious talent. As I cruise these pages alot of coach criticisms revolve around said coaches unwillingness to play rookies.

coaches who have ROY talents in their teams
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
el13adnino
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,855

Post#4 » by el13adnino » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:49 am

coaches who have no choice or better alternative
:crazy:
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,245

Post#5 » by blind prophet » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:55 am

Malone seemed to have a lot of patience with Mudiay.

Gave Ben and Ray a shot early too in Sacramento, even Stauskas.

Tough to call though because lack of talent on teams.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,196

Post#6 » by kenwood3333 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:00 am

The sixers coach.. he was hired to develop and play rookies
JazzMan_OS
Sophomore
And1: 135

Post#7 » by JazzMan_OS » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:58 am

Quin Snyder hasn't shied away from playing young guys at all. Put a lot of faith into Hood, Exum, and Lyles early in their careers.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#8 » by Goudelock » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:09 am

Hopefully Luke Walton.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
MartyConlonJr
General Manager
And1: 2,434

Post#9 » by MartyConlonJr » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:13 am

It's mostly perception. People thought Spoelstra was like that for Miami, because Beasley didn't get mins and other guys too. But then you have Chalmers starting at PG off the bat, Norris Cole getting big mins early, Winslow at 19 y/o, J-Rich and Tyler Johnson, not to mention Whiteside, who while not a rookie had seen less than a season of actual play, was in dleague and was quite immature. He is now a maxed out starting center 2 years later.

Most coaches will play young talent that contributes positively to a team, it is just that most fans have unrealistic expectations or timelines for when that is.

There are definitely some (a minority of) coaches that do have a bias though.
nbafan341
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,148

Post#10 » by nbafan341 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:17 am

MartyConlonJr wrote:It's mostly perception. People thought Spoelstra was like that for Miami, because Beasley didn't get mins and other guys too. But then you have Chalmers starting at PG off the bat, Norris Cole getting big mins early, Winslow at 19 y/o, J-Rich and Tyler Johnson, not to mention Whiteside, who while not a rookie had seen less than a season of actual play, was in dleague and was quite immature. He is now a maxed out starting center 2 years later.

Most coaches will play young talent that contributes positively to a team, it is just that most fans have unrealistic expectations or timelines for when that is.

There are definitely some (a minority of) coaches that do have a bias though.

While I agree, spo played em cus they didnt habe many options trying to hold salary cap for the heat to lure free agents time after time. Hes been having to do this for quite a while as well
DreDay
General Manager
And1: 3,212

Post#11 » by DreDay » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:21 am

Mark Jackson was pretty good at playing rookies for all of his other faults.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,803

Post#12 » by Prez » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:28 am

People are harsh on coaches in terms of rotations, minutes, etc. but these guys are both paid and wired competitively to win. It's easy to hate on a coach from your computer but the consequences of losing are drastic for a coach. Most rookies suck ass, which is problematic when your career depends on winning games. We don't know what these coaches see from guys day to day, and the stress they're under to squeeze out wins. When a game is on the line and you've got the option of playing a known commodity in a ready to go vet or a talented but wildly inexperienced rook, it's a difficult decision.

Kidd is willing to play young guys if they don't suck. Giannis and Jabari have been 19-21 in his time here and they've played massive minutes because they're good. Guys like Rashad Vaughn and Tyler Ennis don't because they haven't been rotation level players, and they didn't play until pretty much all our vet guards got hurt.
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,392

Post#13 » by DaddyCool19 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:03 pm

Not Rick Carlisle. He is a great coach but would rather roll with 3 small guards instead of using a rookie more often. Last season he was forced to play Anderson though.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#14 » by dautjazz » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:11 pm

JazzMan_OS wrote:Quin Snyder hasn't shied away from playing young guys at all. Put a lot of faith into Hood, Exum, and Lyles early in their careers.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Agreed.

Hood - Good right out of the gates, and good minutes thanks Burks injuries.
Exum - Our PG rotation sucked, plus we invested a lot in him (5th pick). I think Exum lacks aggression and a little raw offensively, but he's a smart player.
Lyles - Due to injuries for sure, but Lyles has been very good when he's played.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
indilakeshow
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#15 » by indilakeshow » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:51 pm

Is it a coach thing? I think logic would dictate that you play the players that will give you the greatest chance of winning because ultimately that's what you'll be graded on. PJ Carlisemo played Durant and Westbrook when Durant was in his 2nd year and Westbrook was a rookie and they went 3-27 and he was fired. I think if the coach feels he can play the rookies without having to fear that he's going to be fired, then he'll play the rookies.
GreenWithEnvy wrote:
Lakers have absolutely nothing besides Kobe and Lamar to get Andre Miller...give it up Laker fans.
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,699

Post#16 » by -Sammy- » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:07 pm

Pop. Leonard and Parker were both starters early into their respective rookie seasons, despite being mid- and late- first-round picks for 50-win teams, and guys like George Hill and DeJuan Blair found their way into the starting rotations during their rookie seasons.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,142

Post#17 » by jbk1234 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:24 pm

There are a lot of front offices who are responsible for that though. They tell coaches that everyone understands you're going through a rebuild, we don't expect to win this season, etc... and then they fire the coaches when they lose a bunch of games by playing rookies. Coaches don't trust front offices anymore. Unless they're getting essentially what amounts to hazard pay, they're not signing up for it.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
miamiheat319
Veteran
And1: 6,961

Post#18 » by miamiheat319 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:37 pm

I'll tell you who doesn't. Scott Brooks. The Thunder went through like four years of first round talent that spent most of their rookie, sophomore, and even third seasons in the D-League. It's insane how some of their lottery picks barely saw the floor in their rookie season.
NBA Jersey connoisseur
https://youtu.be/k-PaOWxvnz0
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,153

Post#19 » by Edrees » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:48 pm

A lot of incorrect logic here. A lot of times coaches refuse to play rookies when clearly the rookie is better than the washed up veteran who is benched in favor for, it's just that some coaches play the veteran simply for the sake of him being a vet. At least a rookie might get better by the end of the season and help you win games. The example here is Byron Scott, does anyone really think Lou Williams and Nick young gave the lakers any chance to win any more so than the rookies did? Yeah right.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,142

Post#20 » by jbk1234 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:51 pm

miamiheat319 wrote:I'll tell you who doesn't. Scott Brooks. The Thunder went through like four years of first round talent that spent most of their rookie, sophomore, and even third seasons in the D-League. It's insane how some of their lottery picks barely saw the floor in their rookie season.

Where are those players now? There's a reason those guys didn't play. He played good rookies.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.

Return to The General Board