Woj: Giannis Extension 4/$100 million

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

3Diamantidis
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,300

Re: Woj: Giannis Extension 4/$100 million 

Post#61 » by 3Diamantidis » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:25 pm

That's my boy.
The move i wanted giannis to make.
He proved that he is humble and he is not walking on clouds.
How could he? 5 years ago he was selling lighters on the road of our chaotic city to live.
He knows that 25mil per year is an insane amount. He doesn't play only for money.
All he had was his dream. He is living it. Milwaukee is the team he wants to play period. He PROVED it.
He wants to win and he wants good players by his side. Now bucks have the flexibility. Hope that jabari will do the same and i'm optimistic that he will. If the bucks have their big 3 on a total of 65mil per year combined they will be in position for superb moves.

Now, no more monroe signings. The bucks are on their way to greatness.

What a happy day this is. :D
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#62 » by eagereyez » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:29 pm

skones wrote:
trevm37 wrote:He is worth the max, and should've gotten it (and a fifth year). This falls on his agent, sure he's probably thrilled to sign a $100million dollar contract, but he could've easily gotten the max. There is no reason why an athlete should ever take a pay cut or take less than he can potentially get (specially from the billionaire owners who make so much off of an athlete like Giannis). You may think he is set for generations, but there has been numerous examples of athletes going broke that made much, much more than this. It is not like he will see the full $100 million either, after paying his agent, managers, trainers, and TAXES, hell probably be receiving less than half of the money.

If you manage to go broke, with that type of contract, 100 million instead of 144 million isn't going to be the reason why.

And what happens if he sustains a serious career-threatening injury in the coming years? We've seen countless examples of guys getting injured and never fully recovering. That is why it makes 0 sense to take a paycut at such a young age, especially for guys like Giannis who rely on their freak athleticism.
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#63 » by jwise44 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:31 pm

crkone wrote:
Nolan wrote:I'm surprised that he settled for anything less than the max. I know I wouldn't have if I were in his position.

Read on Twitter

And now he's one of my favorite players
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,796

Post#64 » by SK21209 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:56 pm

eagereyez wrote:
skones wrote:
trevm37 wrote:He is worth the max, and should've gotten it (and a fifth year). This falls on his agent, sure he's probably thrilled to sign a $100million dollar contract, but he could've easily gotten the max. There is no reason why an athlete should ever take a pay cut or take less than he can potentially get (specially from the billionaire owners who make so much off of an athlete like Giannis). You may think he is set for generations, but there has been numerous examples of athletes going broke that made much, much more than this. It is not like he will see the full $100 million either, after paying his agent, managers, trainers, and TAXES, hell probably be receiving less than half of the money.

If you manage to go broke, with that type of contract, 100 million instead of 144 million isn't going to be the reason why.

And what happens if he sustains a serious career-threatening injury in the coming years? We've seen countless examples of guys getting injured and never fully recovering. That is why it makes 0 sense to take a paycut at such a young age, especially for guys like Giannis who rely on their freak athleticism.

An agent's job is not to get his client the most money. Agents are members of the service industry, their job is to execute their client's demands to the best of their ability. Giannis's agent apparently did exactly what Giannis wanted him to do, so I don't see how anything "falls on his agent." And if by taking this paycut the Bucks are better able to retain or acquire talent and be the first contending Bucks team in a long time, Giannis will easily make that money back. For very different reasons, Steph has been paid much less than he could've been the last few years. But they probably don't have one of Klay, Draymond, or Durant if he had been. Not saying the Bucks will become the Warriors, but keeping all of your young talent together can definitely make up for individual pay cuts in the long run.

Congrats, Bucks fans. I don't follow you guys all that much but it seems like you've not only got a great young talent, but one with a good head on his shoulders.
jordan0386
Senior
And1: 570

Post#65 » by jordan0386 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:59 pm

Should not have taken a cut. But non American players don't really care about the US dollar like that.

As mentioned, he will get another deal so he won't be losing much.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,479

Post#66 » by old skool » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:03 pm

Antetokounmpo is an incredible talent, but I think that it is absurd to give max contracts to players based on potential.

The reported 4 year $100-million contract extension provides an advantage for both parties. Antetokounmpo gets a tremendous measure of security that protects him from financial loss stemming from a severe near term injury. The Bucks get a sense of certainty both in whether Giannis will resign long term and the budget impact of what he will cost for the next several years.

The fretting over the lack of a fifth year is a bit silly. Teams should not give out their only five year contract to a player who is not truly dominant. And Antetokounmpo is not dominant. He has made great progress since his rookie year. He usually knows where to be offensively. He still has not learned how to play team defense consistently, although that failure might be more of lack of discipline that lack of defensive understanding. He has breathtaking athletic skill, but he is a horrible shooter. He is not yet a good enough player to lead his team to a .500 record, much less the playoffs. On the other hand, the lack of a fifth year on the extension should not impact Antetokounmpo significantly. He probably won't suffer a severe injury, but if he does the $100-million insures that he won't be hurting financially. He only earns $6-million less that the max over the four years of the extension. And he still is eligible to make that back with a new contract. Unless he suffers a severe injury, he will make tens of millions in what would have been the "fifth year". Signing this extension will probably not cost him $44-million.

Hopefully Antetokounmpo develops into a player worthy of a max NBA contract. So far, his play shows promise that he might become such a player. He is not such a player today.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,525

Post#67 » by zeebneeb » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:05 pm

Well, the bucks in signing this contract with Giannis, kinda made up for the terrible one with Plumlee. Wierd how the best player on the team is underpaid, and on the opposite end of the spectrum one is overpaid.

At least they have secured the best player on the team. That kid is gonna be something special.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,479

Post#68 » by old skool » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:06 pm

Having not heard any word from either the player or the team, all of the motivations being ascribed to Antetokounmpo are pure conjecture.
trevm37
Junior
And1: 215

Post#69 » by trevm37 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:09 pm

SK21209 wrote:
eagereyez wrote:
skones wrote:

An agent's job is not to get his client the most money. Agents are members of the service industry, their job is to execute their client's demands to the best of their ability. Giannis's agent apparently did exactly what Giannis wanted him to do, so I don't see how anything "falls on his agent." And if by taking this paycut the Bucks are better able to retain or acquire talent and be the first contending Bucks team in a long time, Giannis will easily make that money back. For very different reasons, Steph has been paid much less than he could've been the last few years. But they probably don't have one of Klay, Draymond, or Durant if he had been. Not saying the Bucks will become the Warriors, but keeping all of your young talent together can definitely make up for individual pay cuts in the long run.

Congrats, Bucks fans. I don't follow you guys all that much but it seems like you've not only got a great young talent, but one with a good head on his shoulders.

A sports agents job is to advise their client in business, legal, and financial dealings. Their job is literally to negotiate contracts between their client and businesses. So yes, an agent's job is to get his client the most money they can, while keeping him happy. Unless you know GIannis personally, I doubt he went to his agent and specifically told him to accept less money. Teams talk directly to a players agent, who then relays the information to the client. You may say he'll easily make that money back, but no one can gaurantee that. This is the NBA, one of the fastest moving/evolving sports in the world, there are countless examples of players careers cut short.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,615

Post#70 » by Baddy Chuck » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:09 pm

old skool wrote:Having not heard any word from either the player or the team, all of the motivations being ascribed to Antetokounmpo are pure conjecture.

Damn it must really irk you seeing something potentially good happen to the Milwaukee Bucks. Sorry for our gain.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,925

Post#71 » by Optms » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:42 pm

Its not set in stone he's going to have another MAX contract offer waiting at the end of this like some think. You can think that all day but you can't say that for sure.

He's 21. Make the most of the fruits of your stardom now is what I'd advise him on, and worry about the "winning" aspect later.

There will never be a limited quantity of key pieces to obtain for a team, but having the youth and promise is something you might have today and be done with tomorrow.

Secondly - If the motive taking less is to aid the Bucks in later moves; Why be confident in Milwaukee's managerial free agent decisions they can acquire the adequate pieces to build a title team? Much less move the pieces needed to get talent?

In theory, it sounds like a solid plan but a team having money does not equate to instant key FA's. See the Lakers, Wizards, etc. Milwaukee will not be the only team with money to spend every off season. Having flexibility is only great if you already have the Superstar on the team that everyone wants to play with (Lebron) or the team capable of pulling the moves without the star (San Antonio)

I feel this type of move makes the common man in all of us make us think aloud 'Look at him, taking less to help improve the team. What a great head on his shoulder he must have' etc. Or if you have a common interest as a Bucks fan, you are going to praise it night and day regardless.

That's easy for us to say and think because that isn't us leaving millions on the table. In Giannis shoes, we take what we can get now and worry about the rest later.
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 20,518

Post#72 » by AussieCeltic » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:14 am

Pretty shocked by a lot of the replies in this thread. We are talking about $100,000,000 for 4 years work and some of you are saying he shouldn't have taken a pay cut to have flexibility for his team. Do you know how absurd you sound? What world are you living in where that's not enough money. He could get injured tomorrow and still have enough money support his family and live like a king.
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,844

Post#73 » by meekrab » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:29 am

AussieCeltic wrote:Pretty shocked by a lot of the replies in this thread. We are talking about $100,000,000 for 4 years work and some of you are saying he shouldn't have taken a pay cut to have flexibility for his team. Do you know how absurd you sound? What world are you living in where that's not enough money. He could get injured tomorrow and still have enough money support his family and live like a king.

What world are you living in where there's "enough" money? :crazy:
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,045

Post#74 » by The-Power » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:39 am

AussieCeltic wrote:Pretty shocked by a lot of the replies in this thread. We are talking about $100,000,000 for 4 years work and some of you are saying he shouldn't have taken a pay cut to have flexibility for his team. Do you know how absurd you sound? What world are you living in where that's not enough money. He could get injured tomorrow and still have enough money support his family and live like a king.

Nah man, haven't you heard? You have to pay taxes and stuff, there's nothing left after your career. :lol:
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#75 » by eagereyez » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:03 am

Lets say he had a career ending injury his first game of the season. After taxes, his $100 mil contract turns into $50 mil. $715k per year until he's 91 years old. Given inflation, that $715k will turn into about $375k 30 years from now. This doesn't take into consideration any money he may have given to friends/family or spent on big purchases. So really it's not as much as you might think, which is why it's not advisable for young guys in their prime to take dramatic paycuts.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,796

Post#76 » by SK21209 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:09 am

trevm37 wrote:
SK21209 wrote:
eagereyez wrote:And what happens if he sustains a serious career-threatening injury in the coming years? We've seen countless examples of guys getting injured and never fully recovering. That is why it makes 0 sense to take a paycut at such a young age, especially for guys like Giannis who rely on their freak athleticism.

A sports agents job is to advise their client in business, legal, and financial dealings. Their job is literally to negotiate contracts between their client and businesses. So yes, an agent's job is to get his client the most money they can, while keeping him happy. Unless you know GIannis personally, I doubt he went to his agent and specifically told him to accept less money. Teams talk directly to a players agent, who then relays the information to the client. You may say he'll easily make that money back, but no one can gaurantee that. This is the NBA, one of the fastest moving/evolving sports in the world, there are countless examples of players careers cut short.

It has been posted multiple times in this thread that Giannis wanted less than the max to give the Bucks some flexibility. Sure, there are lots of players whose careers get cut short. But as frequently as it happens, it still takes considerable mismanagement of your money if you pull in tens of millions even only for a couple of years.

Giannis chose being very rich and giving his team more flexibility over being a a bit more rich and running the risk and possibly putting his team, which has never been a free agency destination, in a vice. He communicated to his agent that he wanted the former and thats what he got.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,115

Post#77 » by Edrees » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:11 am

Slava wrote:
Magic Giannison wrote:Stupid?
I agree that he could look for max on his first extension but im sure Giannis wants to leave Bucks with some form of flexibility so they can surround him with better players.
Giannis wants to win and not just take paychecks.

Last time they had money, they got Monroe so instead of him getting his pay checks, someone else will and there's no guarantee that player will help. Its stupid for a player to take a pay cut on his first major extension.

Huh? It's not a paycut. He got a raise by definition since he's making more than last year. The term you are looking for is discount.

Why anyone criticizes a player for taking a discount is beyond me. To me, the more of a discount you are willing to take, the more respect I have for you. It means you care more about basketball and less about money. Unbelievable that anyone would disagree.

the only time I'm upset someone takes a discount is when its a player on a team I hate because it increases their chances of being good.

meekrab wrote:

What world are you living in where there's "enough" money? :crazy:

In a world where buying 5 beach front homes is only 10% of your contract's value.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,925

Post#78 » by Optms » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:24 am

AussieCeltic wrote:Pretty shocked by a lot of the replies in this thread. We are talking about $100,000,000 for 4 years work and some of you are saying he shouldn't have taken a pay cut to have flexibility for his team. Do you know how absurd you sound?

The only thing more absurd is how you cannot grasp how anyone could possibly want, say, 130 million in contrast to 100 million.

I earn enough annually to the point that I can say I live comfortably. Doesn't mean I'd oppose the extra income if it was there (so long as it was legal lol). Particularly when someone else elsewhere (Conley) is earning more for the same work than I, or when a over the hill scrub (Joakim Noah) is making a third of what I am being offered.

And I know for a fact I'm young, have a greater impact and have nearly as much promise and room to grow as anyone in the business.

Why should I gamble on the odds of that same money being there 4 years down the road given the nature of injuries and length of time that will elapse over the duration of that contact. 4 years doesn't seem like much, but this is an eternity in NBA years. We can talk taking less 4 years later, but for now, this is my first big contract. I'm young and I'm going to be paid my market value. But the idea is just too out of reach to grasp, I know.
justicewinslow
Sophomore
And1: 137

Post#79 » by justicewinslow » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:54 am

Giannis needs to fire his agent. He got pooched

Sent from my LG-H831 using RealGM mobile app
TheWitcher
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,195

Post#80 » by TheWitcher » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:02 am

Saddens me when these young guys get fleeced by these owners because they think that is so much money and they're sacrificing for the "team". Always get paid your worth, these team owners are RUTHLESS. Forget about sacrificing out of your own pocket for these owners unless you have a guaranteed under the table deal. You can always wait until you're older and try to win a chip taking a lesser roll late in your career. It's their job to build around YOU if that's the price tag you're commanding.

Return to The General Board