KG Retiring

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Purch
Veteran
And1: 2,053

Re: KG Retiring 

Post#61 » by Purch » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:10 am

bran muffin wrote:
Purch wrote:
illastrate wrote:
It's not a stretch at all to consider KG the greatest PF. He was just that good. And maybe if he won a couple more titles, the narrative changes.

Yes, yes it is a stretch. Not a knock on KG, I switch back and forth between him and Dirk all the time, both had amazing careers. However, Duncan wasn't just the best player at his position, he was arguably the best of his generation.

Why do people overlook Karl Malone? He was named First Team All NBA 11x in his career. That's way more than the combined total of Dirk & KG (8x). Karl Malone also has as many MVP awards as Dirk and KG combined (2x).

While Malone may be a notch below KG as a defender, he was no slouch. He was still named to the All-Defensive Team 4x in his career. On the other hand, as a scorer KG simply pales in comparison to Malone --- 17.8 ppg vs 25.0 ppg career average. The single best scoring season from KG is still lower than Malone's career average.

When it comes to the greatest PF ever, the only 2 names under consideration should be Duncan & Malone.

Not the appropriate thread to get into detail about this.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#62 » by Ballerhogger » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:11 am

A pretty good career to great career at times . Falls into my top 20. A franchise defensive star.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,577

Post#63 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:12 am

:(. Now Paul Pierce needs to go and all will be right. Not sure if anyone read the ESPN article tonight but sounds like Doc Rivers is pushing hard to hire KG for either an assistant position or something in the front office. Says he wants his leadership. KG as an assistant coach would be sick.

I think KG was forced into retirement a year early. He wanted to stay but the Wolves ownership hadn't reached out to him for months. After Flip passed, things got rocky.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
EH15
General Manager
And1: 6,945

Post#64 » by EH15 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:15 am

tundraknight wrote:
EH15 wrote:
Big Mac Biyombo wrote:Can anybody think of a better HOF class than TD, KG and Kobe? Incredible really.

If Bosh announces his and Pierce too (undecided right now) lol

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bosh isn't even close to being in the same elite category as KG, Duncan, and Kobe.

Obviously man. You didn't seriously infer that from my post, did you?
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#65 » by Ballerhogger » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:17 am

ClipsFanSince98 wrote::(. Now Paul Pierce needs to go and all will be right. Not sure if anyone read the ESPN article tonight but sounds like Doc Rivers is pushing hard to hire KG for either an assistant position or something in the front office. Says he wants his leadership. KG as an assistant coach would be sick.

I think KG was forced into retirement a year early. He wanted to stay but the Wolves ownership hadn't reached out to him for months. After Flip passed, things got rocky.

he should retire with KG as well. He won't be the headliner but he will be in a elite class.. That class would be GOAT for a long long time. It already is but even longer.
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#66 » by Zombiesonics » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:19 am

bran muffin wrote:
Purch wrote:
illastrate wrote:
It's not a stretch at all to consider KG the greatest PF. He was just that good. And maybe if he won a couple more titles, the narrative changes.

Yes, yes it is a stretch. Not a knock on KG, I switch back and forth between him and Dirk all the time, both had amazing careers. However, Duncan wasn't just the best player at his position, he was arguably the best of his generation.

Why do people overlook Karl Malone? He was named First Team All NBA 11x in his career. That's way more than the combined total of Dirk & KG (8x). Karl Malone also has as many MVP awards as Dirk and KG combined (2x).

While Malone may be a notch below KG as a defender, he was no slouch. He was still named to the All-Defensive Team 4x in his career. On the other hand, as a scorer KG simply pales in comparison to Malone --- 17.8 ppg vs 25.0 ppg career average. The single best scoring season from KG is still lower than Malone's career average.

When it comes to the greatest PF ever, the only 2 names under consideration should be Duncan & Malone.

when you dig a little deeper, (im sure i'm delving into player comp board material here), duncans longevity is impressive but did he really have a better peak than kg? in 03 kg led his 50 win team in assists while troy hudson maned pg duties :o ...imagine KG with a HOF pg and coach... could been better than duncan imo.
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#67 » by Ballerhogger » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:36 am

Zombiesonics wrote:
bran muffin wrote:
Purch wrote:

when you dig a little deeper, (im sure i'm delving into player comp board material here), duncans longevity is impressive but did he really have a better peak than kg? in 03 kg led his 50 win team in assists while troy hudson maned pg duties :o ...imagine KG with a HOF pg and coach... could been better than duncan imo.

A HOF pg that could score that would of been great. He had good coaching and shooting .. Flip Saunders was pretty decent coach. He had tough and crazy players like Sprewell on his team. Sam Cassell as well pre injury was monster for any team.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIN/2004.html

top to bottom this was his best cast
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#68 » by OrlandoDream » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:39 am

All that remains is Vince Carter and Paul Pierce then the generation will be truly over. #salute
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#69 » by Ballerhogger » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:42 am

Overall they could never recover from Cassell injury. They had small window of time to get WCF again maybe but the Spurs and suns were a running a freight train by that time so i dobut they would get past either of them. The Lakers 4-2 in WCF and KG did get some major help from Cassell.
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#70 » by Ballerhogger » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:43 am

OrlandoDream wrote:All that remains is Vince Carter and Paul Pierce then the generation will be truly over. #salute

For VC he should hang them up as well but i dobut he would get in. He's not 1st ballot on this class. Paul Pierce barely is when we compare them to KG,Kobe and Duncan .
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#71 » by Zombiesonics » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:44 am

OrlandoDream wrote:All that remains is Vince Carter and Paul Pierce then the generation will be truly over. #salute

they should both hang them up and cap the most memorable HOF class of my life. (sorry shaq iverson and yao)
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#72 » by Ballerhogger » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:47 am

Zombiesonics wrote:

they should both hang them up and cap the most memorable HOF class of my life. (sorry shaq iverson and yao)

i mean if they can put that many players in there then sure .
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#73 » by OrlandoDream » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:49 am

Zombiesonics wrote:

Ballerhogger wrote:

For VC he should hang them up as well but i dobut he would get in. He's not 1st ballot on this class. Paul Pierce barely is when we compare them to KG,Kobe and Duncan .

VC is a HOF to me. Call him what you want the man plays with heart and is arguably the best dunker to play the game and still hold the record for the best dunk ever. He wont be first ballot but he has played like a HOF. Ppl criticize him too much bc he never got his ring.

Oh and how could I forget Dirk.
DaKnicksAreBack
Analyst
And1: 1,785

Post#74 » by DaKnicksAreBack » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:56 am

I really hope he coaches. He probably won't because it makes too much sense, but his love for the game, passion and competiveness could still be utilized if he chose to coach.
ThaRegul8r
Head Coach
And1: 3,019

Post#75 » by ThaRegul8r » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:07 am

Purch wrote:
bran muffin wrote:
Purch wrote:

Not the appropriate thread to get into detail about this.

Yeah, I said this when Duncan retired, that it wasn't the time to bring up Kobe and argue who was better, Kobe had his day, now it was Duncan's. Same here, Duncan had his day a couple months ago (and Malone had his when he retired), today is KG's day.
I remember your posts from the RPOY project, you consistently brought it. Please continue to do so, sir. This board needs guys like you to counteract ... worthless posters

Retirement isn’t the end of the road, but just a turn in the road. – Unknown
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#76 » by Ballerhogger » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:23 am

OrlandoDream wrote:
Zombiesonics wrote:

Ballerhogger wrote:

VC is a HOF to me. Call him what you want the man plays with heart and is arguably the best dunker to play the game and still hold the record for the best dunk ever. He wont be first ballot but he has played like a HOF. Ppl criticize him too much bc he never got his ring.

Oh and how could I forget Dirk.

VC will eventually get in i think.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,958

Post#77 » by Tim Lehrbach » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:33 am

Finally rid of both Bryant and Garnett. Great summer.
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
LALifer49
Rookie
And1: 862

Post#78 » by LALifer49 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:57 am

Tim Lehrbach wrote:Finally rid of both Bryant and Garnett. Great summer.

Not really a big basketball guy huh?
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#79 » by DusterBuster » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:56 am

3Diamantidis wrote:Loyal. Icon. Legend.
Best PF to ever play the game.
TY for 20 awesome yrs. Grew up with you. :bowdown:

His HOF counterpart (Duncan) begs to differ.

Still an incredible career though. Probably the best HOF group ever when him Kobe and TD go in. I was never a big KG guy, hated his fake-tough guy attitude, but can't argue with his talent.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
GreenBloodedC
RealGM
And1: 14,436

Post#80 » by GreenBloodedC » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:36 am

Dear KG,

Michael Jordan introduced me to the Game, but you taught me how to love it. Because of that, I say thank you.

THANK YOU for creating your own way. You entered the league straight from Highschool. You did not follow anyone’s footsteps. You were determined to leave your own mark with your own way.

THANK YOU for not conforming to the norms. As a 7 ft. basketball player, everyone expected you to play as a center and a typical big man. But you did not prescribe to such and you became one of the most versatile players in history:
You became the only player in history to have more than 25k points, 10k rebounds, 5k assists and 1.5K blocks and steals.

THANK YOU for showing us how a leader should act. You were never placed in a position to succeed in Minnesota, but you have always held yourself accountable. You have never pointed the blame on anyone and you have always carried the burden of your team.

THANK YOU for becoming an MVP. We were all aware of what you were capable of, all you needed was an opportunity to rise. When the opportunity presented itself, you rose to the occasion. You led the Twolves to the best regular season record in Franchise history and you won the MVP along the way. As fans, we cannot help but rejoice in your much well deserved success.

THANK YOU for showing LOYALTY. You gave your prime years to the Twolves. Notwithstanding the fact that you had almost ZERO chance of competing for the Championship, you never gave up on your team. You stuck with your team through the good and the bad.

THANK YOU for choosing yourself. You chose yourself when you parted ways with the Twolves. You and your team needed to start anew and move forward. The Timberwolves needed to rebuild and you needed to have a legitimate shot at contention.

THANK YOU for showing us what CELTIC PRIDE is all about. For those of us who never witnessed Russell, or Bird, we have you and Pierce to thank for showing us what being a Celtic is all about.

THANK YOU for showing us that talent can only get you so far, what matters most is passion and love for the game. You poured your heart out everytime you set foot on the floor, everytime time you played, you played as if it was your last.

THANK YOU FOR BECOMING A CHAMPION
THANK YOU FOR SHOWING US THAT ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.

-Jolo

Return to The General Board