2016-17 Rookie Watch thread

Moderators: Slava, CoreyGallagher, magnumt, ken6199, Rhettmatic, Yuri Vaultin, Mr. E, bwgood77, DayofMourning, Dirk Nowitzki, KF10, GimmeDat, Knickstape1214, BombsquadSammy, Tarik Black

Who will make the All Rookie 1st Team?

Brogdon
100
19%
Brown
25
5%
Chriss
43
8%
Embiid
94
18%
Ferrell
5
1%
WILLY Hernangomez
36
7%
Hield
64
12%
Ingram
14
3%
Murray
39
7%
Saric
106
20%
 
Total votes: 526

User avatar
stitches
Head Coach
Posts: 6,989
And1: 2,426
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
 

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#1141 » by stitches » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:10 am

Dan Z wrote:Is Marquese Chriss a better prospect than Skal Labissiere? The Suns traded Skal (pick 28), Georgios Papagiannis (pick 13), the rights to Bogdan Bogdanovic and Detroit's 2020 second-round pick for him. I guess time will tell.

I don't think so. Skal is the better prospect IMO. He's been the better prospect all along. Just not for like... 20+ GMs in the league.
User avatar
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
Posts: 81,802
And1: 29,970
Joined: Jul 10, 2003
Location: #MakeAmericaGreatAgain
   

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#1142 » by RIPskaterdude » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:11 am

Dan Z wrote:Is Marquese Chriss a better prospect than Skal Labissiere? The Suns traded Skal (pick 28), Georgios Papagiannis (pick 13), the rights to Bogdan Bogdanovic and Detroit's 2020 second-round pick for him. I guess time will tell.


Gotta give props to Vlade, he fleeced PHX on that trade
Image
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 33,682
And1: 13,685
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#1143 » by bwgood77 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:13 am

stitches wrote:
Dan Z wrote:Is Marquese Chriss a better prospect than Skal Labissiere? The Suns traded Skal (pick 28), Georgios Papagiannis (pick 13), the rights to Bogdan Bogdanovic and Detroit's 2020 second-round pick for him. I guess time will tell.

I don't think so. Skal is the better prospect IMO. He's been the better prospect all along. Just not for like... 20+ GMs in the league.


Yeah, Skal looked like the better prospect tonight, though Chriss didn't look too shabby either with 17, 7, 5 blocks, 2 assists, 2 steals and 2 3's.
User avatar
stitches
Head Coach
Posts: 6,989
And1: 2,426
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
 

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#1144 » by stitches » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:15 am

bwgood77 wrote:
stitches wrote:
Dan Z wrote:Is Marquese Chriss a better prospect than Skal Labissiere? The Suns traded Skal (pick 28), Georgios Papagiannis (pick 13), the rights to Bogdan Bogdanovic and Detroit's 2020 second-round pick for him. I guess time will tell.

I don't think so. Skal is the better prospect IMO. He's been the better prospect all along. Just not for like... 20+ GMs in the league.


Yeah, Skal looked like the better prospect tonight, though Chriss didn't look too shabby either with 17, 7, 5 blocks, 2 assists, 2 steals and 2 3's.

I'm not talking about a single game's stats though. I'm talking about long-term projection. Skal has the better tools(size) and better skill. Chriss has better athleticism but that's just 'cause he's a freak. It's not like Skal is not athletic. He's plenty athletic.
Dan Z
Analyst
Posts: 3,404
And1: 461
Joined: Feb 19, 2002
Location: Chicago

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#1145 » by Dan Z » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:20 am

bwgood77 wrote:
stitches wrote:
Dan Z wrote:Is Marquese Chriss a better prospect than Skal Labissiere? The Suns traded Skal (pick 28), Georgios Papagiannis (pick 13), the rights to Bogdan Bogdanovic and Detroit's 2020 second-round pick for him. I guess time will tell.

I don't think so. Skal is the better prospect IMO. He's been the better prospect all along. Just not for like... 20+ GMs in the league.


Yeah, Skal looked like the better prospect tonight, though Chriss didn't look too shabby either with 17, 7, 5 blocks, 2 assists, 2 steals and 2 3's.


At the draft I felt like they had about the same level of potential, which is one reason why I thought the trade was good for the Kings. Also, being a Bulls fan, it reminded me of the trade our team made to get Doug McDermott (we traded two picks to get him...picks that ended up being Gary Harris and Jusuf Nurkic).

But like like I said earlier, only time will tell. Chriss is good and if he continues to develop the trade might not look bad. And, as you point out, Skal looked good tonight. It's possible that he might just be on a hot streak.
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 33,682
And1: 13,685
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#1146 » by bwgood77 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:24 am

stitches wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
stitches wrote:I don't think so. Skal is the better prospect IMO. He's been the better prospect all along. Just not for like... 20+ GMs in the league.


Yeah, Skal looked like the better prospect tonight, though Chriss didn't look too shabby either with 17, 7, 5 blocks, 2 assists, 2 steals and 2 3's.

I'm not talking about a single game's stats though. I'm talking about long-term projection. Skal has the better tools(size) and better skill. Chriss has better athleticism but that's just 'cause he's a freak. It's not like Skal is not athletic. He's plenty athletic.


I'm not arguing Chriss is the better prospect. I loved Skal in the draft. But the Suns took Bender who they probably expect to have a similar skill set. I don't think he will ever score like that, or be as good of rebounder, but he has shown some skills defensively, passing, and blocking shots. He was working on his 3 ball but was still adjusting to the new floor and all.
User avatar
Mr Puddles
Senior
Posts: 741
And1: 1,145
Joined: Jan 17, 2015
Location: Home of the Pickled Nacho
 

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#1147 » by Mr Puddles » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:28 am

Dan Z wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
stitches wrote:I don't think so. Skal is the better prospect IMO. He's been the better prospect all along. Just not for like... 20+ GMs in the league.


Yeah, Skal looked like the better prospect tonight, though Chriss didn't look too shabby either with 17, 7, 5 blocks, 2 assists, 2 steals and 2 3's.


At the draft I felt like they had about the same level of potential, which is one reason why I thought the trade was good for the Kings. Also, being a Bulls fan, it reminded me of the trade our team made to get Doug McDermott (we traded two picks to get him...picks that ended up being Gary Harris and Jusuf Nurkic).

But like like I said earlier, only time will tell. Chriss is good and if he continues to develop the trade might not look bad. And, as you point out, Skal looked good tonight. It's possible that he might just be on a hot streak.


I felt the trade was good for the Kings as well, and in the Suns' GM defense they didn't know that Skal would fall that far in the draft when they made it.

Skal has played very well, since getting consistent minutes. Chriss has improved tremendously since the start of the season - and had a nice overall performance last night as well.

Skal and Chriss being 20 & 19 respectively, time will tell how this will turn out for both teams.
User avatar
Mr Puddles
Senior
Posts: 741
And1: 1,145
Joined: Jan 17, 2015
Location: Home of the Pickled Nacho
 

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#1148 » by Mr Puddles » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:32 am

[youtube]
[/youtube]

Overshadowed by Skal's amazing performance was Ulis' 13 assist - 1 turnover double/double game - in his first ever start. Guy takes tremendous care of the ball and has looked like a steal in the second round
User avatar
stitches
Head Coach
Posts: 6,989
And1: 2,426
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
 

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#1149 » by stitches » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:37 am

bwgood77 wrote:
stitches wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Yeah, Skal looked like the better prospect tonight, though Chriss didn't look too shabby either with 17, 7, 5 blocks, 2 assists, 2 steals and 2 3's.

I'm not talking about a single game's stats though. I'm talking about long-term projection. Skal has the better tools(size) and better skill. Chriss has better athleticism but that's just 'cause he's a freak. It's not like Skal is not athletic. He's plenty athletic.


I'm not arguing Chriss is the better prospect. I loved Skal in the draft. But the Suns took Bender who they probably expect to have a similar skill set. I don't think he will ever score like that, or be as good of rebounder, but he has shown some skills defensively, passing, and blocking shots. He was working on his 3 ball but was still adjusting to the new floor and all.

Oh I see... yeah. I liked Bender a lot pre-draft. He's had some flashes already and he's really young(wasn't he the youngest player in the draft?), he has a ton of room for improvement. I think he has better feel and bball IQ than both Skal and Chriss.
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 33,682
And1: 13,685
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#1150 » by bwgood77 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:40 am

stitches wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
stitches wrote:I'm not talking about a single game's stats though. I'm talking about long-term projection. Skal has the better tools(size) and better skill. Chriss has better athleticism but that's just 'cause he's a freak. It's not like Skal is not athletic. He's plenty athletic.


I'm not arguing Chriss is the better prospect. I loved Skal in the draft. But the Suns took Bender who they probably expect to have a similar skill set. I don't think he will ever score like that, or be as good of rebounder, but he has shown some skills defensively, passing, and blocking shots. He was working on his 3 ball but was still adjusting to the new floor and all.

Oh I see... yeah. I liked Bender a lot pre-draft. He's had some flashes already and he's really young(wasn't he the youngest player in the draft?), he has a ton of room for improvement.


Yes, at one point they said he was the youngest player in the league. It sucks he's injured now that the Suns are trying to get a look at their rookie contract guys.
Foliohattu
Sophomore
Posts: 205
And1: 139
Joined: Jul 14, 2010

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#1151 » by Foliohattu » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:54 am

I think it was a good trade for both teams, Suns traded bunch of assets for a better single asset.
Then Vlade went full (Please Use More Appropriate Word) with that Papagiannis pick (don´t think Georgios is a bad prospect per se, but that reach was insane) , but seems like he got a great value for that 28th pick with Skal. Weird that no one took a flyer on him in the early 20´s.
User avatar
Durango32
Ballboy
Posts: 41
And1: 33
Joined: Feb 05, 2015
   

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#1152 » by Durango32 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:25 am

Mr Puddles wrote:[youtube]
[/youtube]

Overshadowed by Skal's amazing performance was Ulis' 13 assist - 1 turnover double/double game - in his first ever start. Guy takes tremendous care of the ball and has looked like a steal in the second round


I loved Ulis coming out of college and was praying that the Bulls would find a way to snag him. Hope he keeps playing well for the Suns! :)
LALifer49
Senior
Posts: 503
And1: 352
Joined: Mar 22, 2015
 

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#1153 » by LALifer49 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:30 pm

Ingram 6th straight game in double figures, good shooting in all of them, looking more comfortable out there and showcasing his athleticism more. Maybe he's starting to put it together. If he can finish out the season like this that will be very promising.
User avatar
Knicks_Fan2
RealGM
Posts: 19,720
And1: 4,234
Joined: May 14, 2010

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#1154 » by Knicks_Fan2 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:20 pm

bebopdeluxe wrote:
Knicks_Fan2 wrote:Lmao to my questioning Saric's ability early in this thread. Looks great.


Much respect for this. To be fair, this Saric was nowhere to be found before January.

He looks like he is getting better every game. What rookie wall?

(and if anything, his heavy international/Olympic schedule this past summer would sure give him that excuse)


He seemed to be so slow and reactionary early in the season but that can clearly just be chalked up to acclimating himself to the game and getting used to the style.
User avatar
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 14,657
And1: 8,098
Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Location: Australia
 

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#1155 » by GimmeDat » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:26 am

I don't think it's fair to criticize Phoenix for that Chriss deal - Chriss was a great target and has lived up to expectations this season. Whose to say Phoenix would've taken Skal or even known that Skal would've been available at the end of the 1st if they were indeed high on him anyway. Not to mention, 1 breakout game (though he looks excellent and I'm excited to see more).

I think it's a win-win - Phoenix traded up and got a great, coveted pick, and the Kings win as well because of the Skal steal. It's hard to criticize a team for passing on Skal when every team in the league did the same thing. It's like lamenting you didn't pick Draymond Green.
Thibs face still as relevant as ever in 2017.
User avatar
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
Posts: 81,802
And1: 29,970
Joined: Jul 10, 2003
Location: #MakeAmericaGreatAgain
   

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#1156 » by RIPskaterdude » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:39 am

GimmeDat wrote:I don't think it's fair to criticize Phoenix for that Chriss deal - Chriss was a great target and has lived up to expectations this season. Whose to say Phoenix would've taken Skal or even known that Skal would've been available at the end of the 1st if they were indeed high on him anyway. Not to mention, 1 breakout game (though he looks excellent and I'm excited to see more).

I think it's a win-win - Phoenix traded up and got a great, coveted pick, and the Kings win as well because of the Skal steal. It's hard to criticize a team for passing on Skal when every team in the league did the same thing. It's like lamenting you didn't pick Draymond Green.


Let's not forgot that the Kings got this player in the trade too

Image
User avatar
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 14,657
And1: 8,098
Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Location: Australia
 

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#1157 » by GimmeDat » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:51 am

RIPskaterdude wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:I don't think it's fair to criticize Phoenix for that Chriss deal - Chriss was a great target and has lived up to expectations this season. Whose to say Phoenix would've taken Skal or even known that Skal would've been available at the end of the 1st if they were indeed high on him anyway. Not to mention, 1 breakout game (though he looks excellent and I'm excited to see more).

I think it's a win-win - Phoenix traded up and got a great, coveted pick, and the Kings win as well because of the Skal steal. It's hard to criticize a team for passing on Skal when every team in the league did the same thing. It's like lamenting you didn't pick Draymond Green.


Let's not forgot that the Kings got this player in the trade too



Bogdan is far from a deal breaker, but good point. The Kings made out really well.

Still love the trade for Phoenix as well, though.
Thibs face still as relevant as ever in 2017.
cl2117
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,924
And1: 2,134
Joined: Jun 14, 2013
 

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#1158 » by cl2117 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:50 am

RIPskaterdude wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:I don't think it's fair to criticize Phoenix for that Chriss deal - Chriss was a great target and has lived up to expectations this season. Whose to say Phoenix would've taken Skal or even known that Skal would've been available at the end of the 1st if they were indeed high on him anyway. Not to mention, 1 breakout game (though he looks excellent and I'm excited to see more).

I think it's a win-win - Phoenix traded up and got a great, coveted pick, and the Kings win as well because of the Skal steal. It's hard to criticize a team for passing on Skal when every team in the league did the same thing. It's like lamenting you didn't pick Draymond Green.


Let's not forgot that the Kings got this player in the trade too


Kid looks good, but "White Mamba" is taken:

Image
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
User avatar
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
Posts: 81,802
And1: 29,970
Joined: Jul 10, 2003
Location: #MakeAmericaGreatAgain
   

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#1159 » by RIPskaterdude » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:11 pm

European white mamba then?
Image
cl2117
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,924
And1: 2,134
Joined: Jun 14, 2013
 

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#1160 » by cl2117 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:33 pm

RIPskaterdude wrote:European white mamba then?

Still too close. Euro Mamba? Serbian Snake?

Scal earned that name with his epic bench warming. You will never meet a Celtic player during the Scalabrine years who will tell you that bitch was anything other than nice and toasty. Scal had that on lock.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.

Return to The General Board