2016-17 Rookie Watch thread

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Who will make the All Rookie 1st Team?

Brogdon
19%
Brown
5%
Chriss
8%
Embiid
18%
Ferrell
1%
WILLY Hernangomez
7%
Hield
12%
Ingram
3%
Murray
7%
Saric
20%

Total votes: 526

GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#721 » by GimmeDat » Wed Jan 4, 2017 10:02 am

blazeyo wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:
blazeyo wrote:
He could have been a star if he was 6'.
He could still end up somewhere close to IT , he has it all on offense but you can't ignore his height. He is the smallest guy in the league , but he is starting to find ways to finish inside. He isn't as crafty or has the same finesse IT has but he started using his strong body to shield the defender and he absorbs contact really well.
His midrange is just money and it is a joy watching him play... It is always nice to root for the underdog.
There is this guy Jawun Evans that is going to be the steal of the 2017 draft, listed at 5'11 and i feel like he is underrated because of his height aswell.
This draft class is so bas so far... Felder looks like a top 5, lol.
Guy is a midget though, he looks shorter than his listed height, definitely.

I really do like Juwan Evans as well, he's a great college player, but I do think he lacks the elite physical tools to help him compete in the NBA, like Felder and others do.

Yeah, Felder has an advantage over Evans that translates to the NBA and that is breaking the defense, he is just very explosive and it works on any level.
Evans just has a feel for the game, he is composed, has very good dribble, good passer.. I think he can definitely make it. His dribbling and shooting form reminds me so much of CP3..

Do you think Felder can be a positive contributor in the playoffs eventually? do you think he will eventually be able to play against GSW?
I think he will always have trouble defending against good shooters.. he just can't contest well enough.

Anyways, what od oyou think of Valentine? are you a believer?

I think Evans is an NBA caliber player as well, I think he'll go late 1st. Not bad in a strong draft.

From what I've seen of Felder so far, I think he'll be able to lock down that back up spot in Cleveland. In the playoffs, in his rookie season at least, he could see him potentially being a defensive liability at times, but also a sparkplug at times as well. He's definitely got the potential to make positive contributions now, including the postseason.

We've seen very little of Valentine, but every second he's on the court, his elite feel for the game sticks out immediately. He's a unique talent and I think we're trying to slowly work him in to the rotation and figure out his niche. He hasn't been too bad on defense either. It's clear his lack of athleticism makes him a non factor to penetrate in the half court though, I think that's the only real negative I can say for him offensively. Great rebounder as well which was expected coming out of college.

I would've preferred a younger guy with some more tools/potential, but Val should be great for us once he gets the opportunity and figures things out a bit.
cksdayoff
RealGM
And1: 3,636

Post#722 » by cksdayoff » Wed Jan 4, 2017 12:17 pm

pelifan wrote:Buddy Hield

October: 4.7 ppg 25% shooting 0% threes
November: 7.4 ppg 37% shooting 27% threes
December: 10.6 ppg 44% shooting 48% threes
January: 20 ppg 47% shooting 67% threes
February: ????????
March: ?????????????
April: Rookie of the Year

i'm a buddy fan. never giving up on him. the guy is going to be a star for you guys.
#failforfultz
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,537

Post#723 » by UcanUwill » Wed Jan 4, 2017 12:28 pm

R U Legit wrote:Buddy and Embiid were the rookies of the month

Not bad for Buddy Bust, am I right? :lol:

Good for him, but thats not saying much. This draft class looks so bad so far.
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#724 » by Goudelock » Wed Jan 4, 2017 5:32 pm

Question for Suns fans: Do you think that Chriss will end up being a 3 or a 4 in the future?
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,333

Post#725 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jan 4, 2017 6:04 pm

PockyCandy wrote:

Question for Suns fans: Do you think that Chriss will end up being a 3 or a 4 in the future?

I think he could likely play either. I think in time, they will use him and Bender in all sorts of lineups between the 3-5 as both are very versatile, can defend on the perimeter, block shots and hit 3s. They also both are improving with rebounding, particularly Chriss.
blazeyo
Sixth Man
And1: 1,864

Post#726 » by blazeyo » Wed Jan 4, 2017 6:20 pm

Chriss has some problems in his brain, for a rookie he is extremely short tempered.
He is talented though but I bet he doesn't take **** from the vets on the team, I don't think he is well liked.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,105

Post#727 » by skones » Thu Jan 5, 2017 3:57 am

Brogdon with an off night shooting but still quietly delivering 12 points 6 rebounds and 8 assists with 0 tos.

Last 4 as starter since Dellys been banged up 4.1 ast/to while dropping 7.25 dimes a game.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using RealGM mobile app
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,537

Post#728 » by UcanUwill » Thu Jan 5, 2017 10:32 am

Kuzminskas seem to produce every time he gets minutes. 40% from down town so far.
Alex DeLarge
Junior
And1: 318

Re: RE: Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#729 » by Alex DeLarge » Fri Jan 6, 2017 12:54 am

Jon1798 wrote:
Alex DeLarge wrote:
Jon1798 wrote:
You are all over the board on this. Buddy isn't so great because he started bad......Murray is so much better cause he started bad......look at the stats......don't look at the stats......well......you just have to see them to believe it.

Here is their player comparison so far. Stats are almost identical at this point:
http://bkref.com/pi/shareit/KoZvg

Biggest difference is Buddy was playing very sporadic minutes early on. 3 minutes here, 5 minutes there. He never really had a chance to put anything together.

Since December, Buddy has been a starter, playing against NBA starters. His per 36 numbers in December have been:

16.3 points, 4.2 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 42.5% FG, 47.5% 3PT, 80% FT

Not bad for his second full month as an NBA player. Not bad for a guy who supposedly somehow has a ceiling of a decent shooter off the bench???

I was simply highlighting for those who dismissed Murray based on his stats that his numbers were artificially low due to a very poor start.

Hield has certainly looked better over the past few weeks, but his improvement in no way alters my belief that Murray will probably end up being the better player.

Nothing wrong with that. I can't stand that people feel the need to compare the two in the first place. I've said many times, I think both will be very very good.

It's certainly fine to be a believer in both.

However, it's easy to see why they are being compared. The Pels need a second star as badly as ever team ever has, and this past draft was a good chance to land one. It would be yet another blow for their fanbase (and also for Anthony Davis) if Hield ends up a role player and Murray becomes a star.

Given the Pels' current situation, it would have been nice to see them make the upside pick.
Jon1798
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,476

Post#730 » by Jon1798 » Fri Jan 6, 2017 12:57 am

Alex DeLarge wrote:
Jon1798 wrote:
Alex DeLarge wrote:
I was simply highlighting for those who dismissed Murray based on his stats that his numbers were artificially low due to a very poor start.

Hield has certainly looked better over the past few weeks, but his improvement in no way alters my belief that Murray will probably end up being the better player.

Nothing wrong with that. I can't stand that people feel the need to compare the two in the first place. I've said many times, I think both will be very very good.

However, it's easy to see why they are being compared. The Pels need a second star as badly as ever team ever has, and this past draft was a good chance to land one. It would be yet another blow for their fanbase (and also for Anthony Davis) if Hield ends up a role player and Murray becomes a star.

Given the Pels' current situation, it would have been nice to see them make the upside pick.

I think they did
"This post wants out of New Orleans" - Woj
Alex DeLarge
Junior

Post#731 » by Alex DeLarge » Fri Jan 6, 2017 1:04 am

Jon1798 wrote:
Alex DeLarge wrote:
Jon1798 wrote:

I think they did

It amuses me how when talking basketball - particularly when talking with people you don't know personally - everything seems like a zero-sum game.
Jon1798
Lead Assistant

Post#732 » by Jon1798 » Fri Jan 6, 2017 1:10 am

Alex DeLarge wrote:
Jon1798 wrote:
Alex DeLarge wrote:

I think they did

It amuses me how when talking basketball - particularly when talking with people you don't know personally - everything seems like a zero-sum game.

You have to realize you are the one doing that right?
Alex DeLarge
Junior

Post#733 » by Alex DeLarge » Fri Jan 6, 2017 1:13 am

Jon1798 wrote:
Alex DeLarge wrote:
Jon1798 wrote:
I think they did

How so?

I said that I hope Hield becomes a good player. I'm not down on him, and I'm happy for him and the Pels that he has turned it on of late. He was garbage early in the season, and it was fair to call him on it.

Believing that one player will end up better than another doesn't mean that you think the latter is a bum.
Jon1798
Lead Assistant

Post#734 » by Jon1798 » Fri Jan 6, 2017 1:20 am

Alex DeLarge wrote:
Jon1798 wrote:
Alex DeLarge wrote:

How so?

I said that I hope Hield becomes a good player. I'm not down on him, and I'm happy for him and the Pels that he has turned it on of late. He was garbage early in the season, and it was fair to call him on it.

Believing that one player will end up better than another doesn't mean that you think the latter is a bum.

Virtually every post you have made has been comparing Murray to Hield, discrediting Hield's performance and stats in lieu of Murray. For some reason you can not just give credit to Hield. You have to throw in barbs and insinuate Murray has more upside than Hield. It's the definition of a zero sum game.

My whole point has been it's really not necessary to put them in the same sentence and it's certainly conceivable they are both very good. If you are going to claim difficult basketball convos with strangers, it might take some mirror searching.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,521

Post#735 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Jan 6, 2017 1:24 am

To be fair, basketball is a zero sum game. There are exactly as many losses as wins; the number of regular seasons wins are fixed at 1230 every season, only team can win each playoff series.

If everyone in the league scored 20 ppg it doesn't matter because everyone does. What matters is a team's separation from the other teams; and thus a player's separation from other players.

That said, I do think we are all winners when both teams play great and everyone gets to watch some good basketball.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,333

Post#736 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jan 6, 2017 4:57 am

Read on Twitter
jrob23
Starter
And1: 791

Post#737 » by jrob23 » Fri Jan 6, 2017 10:00 am

I don't get why Cheick Diallo doesn't play. Pels need rebounding and shot blocking and they spent a 1st on him for that very reason then don't play him. I loved what I saw in SL. He's so long and runs the floor extremely well. Mostly it was how great he was on D and an all around good player. He needs to be playing 20 minutes a game with some being alongside AD. He's had two games where he played over 20 minutes and went 19-10 in one and 10-7 in the other. Yet he's a nightly scratch. They sent him down to D-League and he dominates. Some organizations just leave me scratching my head.
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#738 » by PerkinsFor3 » Fri Jan 6, 2017 10:28 am

Advanced stats also love Diallo.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,217

Post#739 » by Dan Z » Sat Jan 7, 2017 7:45 am

Caris LaVert with 19 points tonight against the Cavs. How did he look?
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,034

Post#740 » by Chuck Everett » Sat Jan 7, 2017 7:49 am

Dan Z wrote:Caris LaVert with 19 points tonight against the Cavs. How did he look?

"Kill 'em with Grindness."

Return to The General Board