2016-17 Rookie Watch thread

Moderators: GimmeDat, Rhettmatic, KF10, Slava, CoreyGallagher, Yuri Vaultin, Knickstape1214, DayofMourning, Dirk Nowitzki, Mr. E, bwgood77, BombsquadSammy, ken6199, Tarik Black, magnumt

Who will make the All Rookie 1st Team?

Brogdon
96
19%
Brown
24
5%
Chriss
43
8%
Embiid
90
18%
Ferrell
4
1%
WILLY Hernangomez
35
7%
Hield
62
12%
Ingram
13
3%
Murray
38
7%
Saric
102
20%
 
Total votes: 507

User avatar
AussieBuck
RealGM
Posts: 31,917
And1: 7,186
Joined: May 10, 2006
Location: saveourbucks.com
 

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#941 » by AussieBuck » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:45 am

Patsfan1081 wrote:This is just the strangest rookie class. The ROY is a player that's already into his third season at 22, the second best is a 22 year old Euro that has three years of professional ball under his belt, and the third best is a 24 year old drafted in the second round. Hopefully one of Murray/Brown/Chriss can have a good second half and put a little shine to the one and dones of this year.

Plus the Bucks have a 23 year old straight out of high school 7'1 C who is hitting 55% from three and is now starting. :lol: That's all the strange you need in one dude.
Nowak008 wrote:Most people have herpes - it's not that big of a deal.
cjx
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,253
And1: 209
Joined: Aug 03, 2005

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#942 » by cjx » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:49 am

Thon's time begins now, the revolution has arrived, you know what it is, homies!
Image
User avatar
Dame Lizard
Analyst
Posts: 3,434
And1: 1,290
Joined: Dec 03, 2012
 

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#943 » by Dame Lizard » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:01 am

Thon's range is legit.

Sent from my R7g using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
AussieBuck
RealGM
Posts: 31,917
And1: 7,186
Joined: May 10, 2006
Location: saveourbucks.com
 

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#944 » by AussieBuck » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:03 am

Dame Lizard wrote:Thon's range is legit.

Sent from my R7g using RealGM mobile app

Can change his shot under defensive pressure too. He's not your typical big man shooting a jumper, he's totally comfortable and pretty much everything is nothing but net.
Nowak008 wrote:Most people have herpes - it's not that big of a deal.
Rastas
Senior
Posts: 717
And1: 347
Joined: May 31, 2012

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#945 » by Rastas » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:03 am

Thon 3pt Maker
User avatar
Capn'O
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 33,197
And1: 15,709
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Location: Searching for underground point guards
 

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#946 » by Capn'O » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:17 am

Patsfan1081 wrote:the second best is a 22 year old Euro that has three years of professional ball under his belt


I'm pretty sure you meant

Image

but that could also apply to

Image
Image
Bound for glory
User avatar
Pachinko_
Veteran
Posts: 2,553
And1: 1,293
Joined: Jun 13, 2016
 

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#947 » by Pachinko_ » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:07 am

the maker has been unleashed

Je suis Kings.
Beorn
Senior
Posts: 641
And1: 139
Joined: Jun 29, 2012

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#948 » by Beorn » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:45 am

AussieBuck wrote:Plus the Bucks have a 23 year old straight out of high schools 7'1 C who is hitting 55% from three and is now starting. :lol: That's all the strange you need in one dude.


sorry AB, I couldn't resist :lol:
User avatar
Froob
RealGM
Posts: 21,363
And1: 17,527
Joined: Nov 04, 2010
Location: Not Penny's boat
     

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#949 » by Froob » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:26 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:This is just the strangest rookie class. The ROY is a player that's already into his third season at 22, the second best is a 22 year old Euro that has three years of professional ball under his belt, and the third best is a 24 year old drafted in the second round. Hopefully one of Murray/Brown/Chriss can have a good second half and put a little shine to the one and dones of this year.

Brown hasn't been that bad. Could very well be the best player in this draft when it's all said and done.
Image

"The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying."
-Tommy Heinsohn

http://www.yeezus2020.com/
User avatar
islanders11040
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,249
And1: 3,535
Joined: Jun 16, 2008
Location: New York
       

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#950 » by islanders11040 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:41 am



12 pts 9 rebs 3 stls on 6-8 shooting
BAT 15: San Antonio Spurs
PG: Jrue Holiday(56), Shelvin Mack(17)
SG: Klay Thompson(127)
SF: Chase Budinger(1)
PF:Bobby Portis(17)
C: Jonas Valanciunas(57), Tiago Splitter(16)
User avatar
Slava
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 51,337
And1: 20,440
Joined: Oct 15, 2006
Location: København
     

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#951 » by Slava » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:12 am

Kris Dunn is having probably the worst season for a 22 year old rookie who spent 4 years in college. That situation looks irredeemable for Minnesota.
Enter the Zu Tang!
Smirk
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,514
And1: 322
Joined: Jun 21, 2005
Location: New Orleans
   

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#952 » by Smirk » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:11 pm

Image
treefi
Analyst
Posts: 3,007
And1: 578
Joined: Jul 11, 2002
Contact:

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#953 » by treefi » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:18 am

Slava wrote:Kris Dunn is having probably the worst season for a 22 year old rookie who spent 4 years in college. That situation looks irredeemable for Minnesota.


Yeah Dunn is looking like a Mateen Cleaves-level bust. Trey Burke was a wayyy better rookie.
treefi
Analyst
Posts: 3,007
And1: 578
Joined: Jul 11, 2002
Contact:

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#954 » by treefi » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:19 am

Juan Hernangomez is on FIRE. Willy and Juan look like future NBA starters.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 7,509
And1: 2,575
Joined: Mar 03, 2014

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#955 » by Marcus » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:58 am

treefi wrote:Juan Hernangomez is on FIRE. Willy and Juan look like future NBA starters.


Glad Juan is getting tick. Loved what he showed in SL.
Watch More Basketball

dorkestra wrote:For those that signed in, can RealGM replace our title of "Assistant Coach" or "Ballboy" to "Process Survivor"?


Best post ever
The Rebel
Senior Mod - Nuggets
Senior Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 17,440
And1: 2,618
Joined: Mar 05, 2005
 

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#956 » by The Rebel » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:35 am

Juancho Hernan-Gomez
27/10/2 on almost 53% shooting
Jamal Murray
14/1/4 on 55.6% shooting
User avatar
Veyron
Junior
Posts: 311
And1: 235
Joined: Dec 19, 2015
   

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#957 » by Veyron » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:03 pm

Dario Saric , beasting again.
"Petro for three, got it !"
User avatar
markjay
Rookie
Posts: 1,187
And1: 681
Joined: Apr 20, 2008

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#958 » by markjay » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:12 pm

treefi wrote:
Slava wrote:Kris Dunn is having probably the worst season for a 22 year old rookie who spent 4 years in college. That situation looks irredeemable for Minnesota.


Yeah Dunn is looking like a Mateen Cleaves-level bust. Trey Burke was a wayyy better rookie.


It continues to fascinate me how difficult it is to predict the success of incoming NBA players. For a while, Okafor was seen as one of the best prospects since LeBron. Dante Exum was viewed as a spectacular prospect. And Dunn was seen as having one of the highest floors in his rookie class.

I'm wondering what makes some teams better than others at selecting talent to draft. As frustrated as I am as a Lakers fan with their team, they have actually done an excellent job drafting in recent years, picking gems like Nance, Zubac, and Clarkson in the late first or second rounds, and having the foresight to pass on Okafor.
User avatar
Slava
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 51,337
And1: 20,440
Joined: Oct 15, 2006
Location: København
     

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#959 » by Slava » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:15 pm

markjay wrote:
treefi wrote:
Slava wrote:Kris Dunn is having probably the worst season for a 22 year old rookie who spent 4 years in college. That situation looks irredeemable for Minnesota.


Yeah Dunn is looking like a Mateen Cleaves-level bust. Trey Burke was a wayyy better rookie.


It continues to fascinate me how difficult it is to predict the success of incoming NBA players. For a while, Okafor was seen as one of the best prospects since LeBron. Dante Exum was viewed as a spectacular prospect. And Dunn was seen as having one of the highest floors in his rookie class.

I'm wondering what makes some teams better than others at selecting talent to draft. As frustrated as I am as a Lakers fan with their team, they have actually done an excellent job drafting in recent years, picking gems like Nance, Zubac, and Clarkson in the late first or second rounds, and having the foresight to pass on Okafor.


I think Okafor in the right situation can be a very good offensive player that he can out produce his defensive limitations. You could excuse the Exum pick as someone working on little to no sample size but relying on physical attributes when making that pick.

Players like Dunn are the true draft fails, especially when you have 4 years worth of college game data to aid your decision.
Enter the Zu Tang!
RRFB
Analyst
Posts: 3,052
And1: 753
Joined: Dec 24, 2006
Location: Denver, CO

Re: 2016-17 Rookie Watch thread 

Post#960 » by RRFB » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:51 pm



Hell of a game from the younger Hernangomez last night. It's obviously unrealistic to expect him to duplicate that performance, but it's easy to see why the Nuggets are so high on this kid.

Return to The General Board