Kristaps is developing at a rapid pace.

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

King of Troy
Assistant Coach
And1: 36

Re: Kristaps is developing at a rapid pace. 

Post#121 » by King of Troy » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:48 pm

Kampuchea wrote:
90sgoat wrote:
Side beard wrote:Jennings played like pass first guard in preseason.

Ok, I admit I am not up to date at all with Jennings or Melo, I watched Rose and he was a massive failure in Chicago. I do hope it works out, I think Noah if healthy could really be the glue guy with his post passing.

You are in fact several years out of date on the players you are giving opinions on, Melo is not a bad defender at all

He is pretty bad.

Lazy, really.
90sgoat
Bench Warmer
And1: 401

Post#122 » by 90sgoat » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:58 pm

King of Troy wrote:
Kampuchea wrote:
90sgoat wrote:
Ok, I admit I am not up to date at all with Jennings or Melo, I watched Rose and he was a massive failure in Chicago. I do hope it works out, I think Noah if healthy could really be the glue guy with his post passing.

You are in fact several years out of date on the players you are giving opinions on, Melo is not a bad defender at all

He is pretty bad.

Lazy, really.

Melo is not a good defender, not now, not ever.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#123 » by Scalabrine » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:06 am

Capn'O wrote:Yeah - Billups played really, really well for us and then got injured in the first playoff game vs Boston, starting his precipitous decline. So, while technically right, we never really saw the fruits of that pairing :-/

Tyson Chandler had a pretty good year for us too the next season. DPOY and such.

God willing, KP will grab that mantle this season.

Also the second half that Rose had last year would make him right up there as well.

It's no stretch at all to say that this is Melos best 2nd and 3 options he's ever played with. The brief stretch of Amare and Billups would be up there too.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Go Knicks!
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#124 » by magnumt » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:17 am

90sgoat wrote:
magnumt wrote:
Side beard wrote:He can be the best player on this team, but for that to happen he needs to develop some killer mentality. He has all the tools to dominate his position, but sometimes it seems something is holding him back.

His teammates not always passing him the ball? A lack of a real PG his Rookie Season? :dontknow: ;)

But, he has shown plenty of toughness in a short NBA time span. Including not backing down from Lebron, Dwight, KAT, or others as a Rookie. As well as CONSTANTLY swatting shots away with ferociousness, and WANTING to take game winning there's. :D

--Mags

Yeah, I agree, Kristraps has fire and nothing shows it like his rim protection AND he has been taking the ball hard to the hoop plenty of times. He just needs to add 20lbs in muscle, which so far it looks like he hasn't dipped into the pot of Magic Muscle juice.

The training staff didn't want him to bulk up so fast and not have his body ready, its how injuries tend to occur (like what happened to Ben Simmons).

So instead, they had him work all Summer on strengthening his core as well as his legs to support the future weight.

Its worked well so far, in that he hasn't been pushed off for positioning as much as he was last year. He's been able to hold his ground better, while still maintaining his agility on the dribble.

Something that's pretty remarkable (like his crossover), for a guy his 7'3 size. :D

--Mags
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
90sgoat
Bench Warmer

Post#125 » by 90sgoat » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:25 am

magnumt wrote:
90sgoat wrote:
magnumt wrote:
His teammates not always passing him the ball? A lack of a real PG his Rookie Season? :dontknow: ;)

But, he has shown plenty of toughness in a short NBA time span. Including not backing down from Lebron, Dwight, KAT, or others as a Rookie. As well as CONSTANTLY swatting shots away with ferociousness, and WANTING to take game winning there's. :D

--Mags

Yeah, I agree, Kristraps has fire and nothing shows it like his rim protection AND he has been taking the ball hard to the hoop plenty of times. He just needs to add 20lbs in muscle, which so far it looks like he hasn't dipped into the pot of Magic Muscle juice.

The training staff didn't want him to bulk up so fast and not have his body ready, its how injuries tend to occur (like what happened to Ben Simmons).

So instead, they had him work all Summer on strengthening his core as well as his legs to support the future weight.

Its worked well so far, in that he hasn't been pushed off for positioning as much as he was last year. He's been able to hold his ground better, while still maintaining his agility on the dribble.

Something that's pretty remarkable (like his crossover), for a guy his 7'3 size. :D

--Mags

Indeed, it is well documented that steroid use increases the risk of tendon and ligament tears due to increasing pressure above natural limits, a huge part in all the injuries today I wager.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#126 » by magnumt » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:32 am

90sgoat wrote:
magnumt wrote:
90sgoat wrote:

--Mags

Indeed, it is well documented that steroid use increases the risk of tendon and ligament tears due to increasing pressure above natural limits, a huge part in all the injuries today I wager.

Exactly.

Yeah, if you don't give the body enough time to adjust to anything, it ends up being counterproductive in the long-run.

Just look at how many baseball players are soooooooo brittle these days. The body isn't really use to that sudden rapid influx of hormones like testosterone.

Proper rest and rehab/strengthening plays another big part too.

--Mags
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 19,952

Post#127 » by tsherkin » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:39 am

90sgoat wrote:
King of Troy wrote:
Kampuchea wrote:

He is pretty bad.

Lazy, really.

Again, that really isn't reflective of having paid much attention to Melo last season. He wasn't Bruce Bowen or anything, but he was a decent defender. Hell, it's even there for those who didn't SEE him play in his defensive metrics, which hovered around the best or second-best of his career. Those are a poor picture of overall value, and certainly he was no elite defender or anything, but he did pretty well relative to the rest of his career. The tone of your posts is one rooted in absence of any real attention paid to the player, and firmly fixed on his reputation rather than the reality of the player.
90sgoat
Bench Warmer

Post#128 » by 90sgoat » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:20 am

tsherkin wrote:
90sgoat wrote:
King of Troy wrote:
He is pretty bad.

Lazy, really.

Again, that really isn't reflective of having paid much attention to Melo last season. He wasn't Bruce Bowen or anything, but he was a decent defender. Hell, it's even there for those who didn't SEE him play in his defensive metrics, which hovered around the best or second-best of his career. Those are a poor picture of overall value, and certainly he was no elite defender or anything, but he did pretty well relative to the rest of his career. The tone of your posts is one rooted in absence of any real attention paid to the player, and firmly fixed on his reputation rather than the reality of the player.

What is a 'decent' defender?
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#129 » by tsherkin » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:22 am

90sgoat wrote:What is a 'decent' defender?

Makes the effort, isn't out there getting torched, is out there working within the context of the team's defensive scheme. Melo's got reputation momentum, and that's no more evident than in the posts by you and King of Troy ITT. He's not a particularly strong defender, but he was busting hump this past season on a team that had a pile of coaching turnover and numerous actual defensive weaknesses. He was not one of them, and yet he's treated like his D is a problem, which is inaccurate. That should actually stop in the face of the reality of his performance.
Amsterdam
Analyst
And1: 1,622

Post#130 » by Amsterdam » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:30 am

tsherkin wrote:
90sgoat wrote:
King of Troy wrote:
He is pretty bad.

Lazy, really.

You're right. Melo's effort on defensive aspects, such as rebounding and great effort one on one has improved the last few years.
90sgoat
Bench Warmer

Post#131 » by 90sgoat » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:33 am

tsherkin wrote:

Makes the effort, isn't out there getting torched, is out there working within the context of the team's defensive scheme. Melo's got reputation momentum, and that's no more evident than in the posts by you and King of Troy ITT. He's not a particularly strong defender, but he was busting hump this past season on a team that had a pile of coaching turnover and numerous actual defensive weaknesses. He was not one of them, and yet he's treated like his D is a problem, which is inaccurate. That should actually stop in the face of the reality of his performance.

Ok, could be he got better. Could be he like LMA, just wasn't exposed (until playoffs), except for in Olympics were every backcut lead to an open layup. I don't know where this got off track, but the point was that Melo should give the reigns to Kristaps sooner rather than later.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#132 » by tsherkin » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:35 am

90sgoat wrote:
tsherkin wrote:

Ok, could be he got better. Could be he like LMA, just wasn't exposed (until playoffs), except for in Olympics were every backcut lead to an open layup. I don't know where this got off track, but the point was that Melo should give the reigns to Kristaps sooner rather than later.

Why did you even post this? Aside from the non sequitur at the end which has nothing to do with the discussion of defense and is an obvious deflection, you basically just said "yeah I know I said I havent kept up on him and people who have disagree with me but I dont wanna believe it anyway."

What's your purpose in this thread if you aren't willing to engage in honest discourse?
90sgoat
Bench Warmer

Post#133 » by 90sgoat » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:44 am

tsherkin wrote:
90sgoat wrote:
tsherkin wrote:

Why did you even post this? Aside from the non sequitur at the end which has nothing to do with the discussion of defense and is an obvious deflection, you basically just said "yeah I know I said I havent kept up on him and people who have disagree with me but I dont wanna believe it anyway."

What's your purpose in this thread if you aren't willing to engage in honest discourse?

Most people have emotional opinions of their favorite players. I still believe Melo is not a decent defender and worse he is a lazy defender, but I won't be able to disprove any of you when I haven't watched him much last season, so it is sort of a bunk discussion until I watch him more this season and can disprove you with facts. What then is the point?
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,957

Post#134 » by Capn'O » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:59 am

Bringing it all back home - Melo's preseason defense has been terrible 8-)
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Kswiss
Rookie
And1: 370

Post#135 » by Kswiss » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:03 am

Capn'O wrote:Bringing it all back home - Melo's preseason defense has been terrible 8-)

Nobody plays defense in the preseason though, not worth the wear and tear
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,957

Post#136 » by Capn'O » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:11 am

Kswiss wrote:
Capn'O wrote:Bringing it all back home - Melo's preseason defense has been terrible 8-)

Nobody plays defense in the preseason though, not worth the wear and tear

I'm just busting TSherkin's chops.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,527

Post#137 » by DreamTeam09 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:21 am

Porzingas is already one of the best players in the league. Plays like a 2/3 at the 5 spot with an edge to him.

In Raptor Ball I Trust

Return to The General Board