Why Are the Timberwolves Struggling?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,279

Re: Why Are the Timberwolves Struggling? 

Post#361 » by chrisab123 » Thu Dec 1, 2016 9:01 pm

NBARocks wrote:their problem stems mainly from Wiggins being a one-dimensional inefficient scorer. take Wiggins off the starting line-up, put Shabazz in for him, don't let Lavine bring down the ball, let Rubio do the facilitating and tell him to feed KAT or Lavine.

I personally like Wiggins. He could easily become Rudy Gay but I think hes going to be better. If the Wolves don't want him there is a team in Boston that would gladly take him!
spursscott
Freshman
And1: 46

Post#362 » by spursscott » Thu Dec 1, 2016 9:02 pm

chrisab123 wrote:"I member" the Baby Bulls. A team that on paper had a good amount of young talent. Not at the level of a KT Dunn Wiggins or LaVine but good amount. What doomed that team is no leadership. Combine that with Thibs who loves defense first and you can see where the disconnect would be. LaVine never would have been drafted under Thibs. He's just an awful fit. A good trade partner would be a team like Boston which is no offense all defense oriented. Orlando as well. I can only imagine what Thibs could do with Aaron Gordon.

lol what?
chrisab123
RealGM

Post#363 » by chrisab123 » Thu Dec 1, 2016 9:02 pm

spursscott wrote:
chrisab123 wrote:"I member" the Baby Bulls. A team that on paper had a good amount of young talent. Not at the level of a KT Dunn Wiggins or LaVine but good amount. What doomed that team is no leadership. Combine that with Thibs who loves defense first and you can see where the disconnect would be. LaVine never would have been drafted under Thibs. He's just an awful fit. A good trade partner would be a team like Boston which is no offense all defense oriented. Orlando as well. I can only imagine what Thibs could do with Aaron Gordon.

lol what?

Gordon is a good defensive player. This is the type of guy Thibs would love to have on his roster.
NBARocks
Sixth Man
And1: 1,505

Post#364 » by NBARocks » Thu Dec 1, 2016 9:05 pm

chrisab123 wrote:
NBARocks wrote:their problem stems mainly from Wiggins being a one-dimensional inefficient scorer. take Wiggins off the starting line-up, put Shabazz in for him, don't let Lavine bring down the ball, let Rubio do the facilitating and tell him to feed KAT or Lavine.

I personally like Wiggins. He could easily become Rudy Gay but I think hes going to be better. If the Wolves don't want him there is a team in Boston that would gladly take him!

wow. so you'll willingly trade Thomas and Crowder for him? deal!
chrisab123
RealGM

Post#365 » by chrisab123 » Thu Dec 1, 2016 9:08 pm

NBARocks wrote:
chrisab123 wrote:

wow. so you'll willingly trade Thomas and Crowder for him? deal!

Haha no point in trading Thomas. But I personally would give up Crowder and picks. But again not sure if a Wiggins deal would make sense for either team. Crowder has more value to the Celtics than he does to any other team. Especially with that contract.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,429

Post#366 » by Capn'O » Thu Dec 1, 2016 9:16 pm

We need that dude with the Magic Johnson avatar to post that he's exposing the limitations of his roster to force management's hand.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,755

Post#367 » by Prez » Thu Dec 1, 2016 9:40 pm

Zeitgeister wrote:
Milbuck wrote:Yeah, the crappy bench argument is pretty clear now. I really liked what I saw from Bjelica last year, Aldrich on the Clippers, and Dunn was supposed to be at least somewhat ready offensively. That's three guys who on paper should be really really solid depth this year and they're not bringing it. Shabazz has regressed hard and straight up kinda sucks. Basically the only guy who has exceeded expectations is Tyus, and as much as I like Tyus, if he's your most promising bench piece you have problems.

The defense is an absolute mystery to me though. I have no idea how a Tom Thibodeau coached team could be so weak defensively.

You're basically asking Thibs to be Hakeem. The Wolves were the 28th ranked defense last year and that's with the Kevin Garnett lineup that was absolutely dominant defensively. This year the defense is ranked 23rd. So it has taken a noticeable step forward, but they are still bad. You need good defenders on the court and the young guys aren't there yet.

Why though? Why have guys like Wiggins, Lavine, KAT, Shabazz, etc. all made little to no progress defensively? I agree that they're not there yet as individual defenders, but the difference isn't even noticeable, like at all. Thibs is (at least was) a savant defensively and has a reputation for breaking bad player habits, getting the very best effort and focus out of his guys. This just is not happening with the TWolves, and I don't understand why he's being totally let off the hook with the "they're just too young" argument. I get the mental lapses and stuff like that...but being too young doesn't stop you from at least putting in high level effort and intensity.
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,836

Post#368 » by Zeitgeister » Thu Dec 1, 2016 10:07 pm

Milbuck wrote:
Zeitgeister wrote:
Milbuck wrote:Yeah, the crappy bench argument is pretty clear now. I really liked what I saw from Bjelica last year, Aldrich on the Clippers, and Dunn was supposed to be at least somewhat ready offensively. That's three guys who on paper should be really really solid depth this year and they're not bringing it. Shabazz has regressed hard and straight up kinda sucks. Basically the only guy who has exceeded expectations is Tyus, and as much as I like Tyus, if he's your most promising bench piece you have problems.

The defense is an absolute mystery to me though. I have no idea how a Tom Thibodeau coached team could be so weak defensively.

You're basically asking Thibs to be Hakeem. The Wolves were the 28th ranked defense last year and that's with the Kevin Garnett lineup that was absolutely dominant defensively. This year the defense is ranked 23rd. So it has taken a noticeable step forward, but they are still bad. You need good defenders on the court and the young guys aren't there yet.

Why though? Why have guys like Wiggins, Lavine, KAT, Shabazz, etc. all made little to no progress defensively? I agree that they're not there yet as individual defenders, but the difference isn't even noticeable, like at all. Thibs is (at least was) a savant defensively and has a reputation for breaking bad player habits, getting the very best effort and focus out of his guys. This just is not happening with the TWolves, and I don't understand why he's being totally let off the hook with the "they're just too young" argument. I get the mental lapses and stuff like that...but being too young doesn't stop you from at least putting in high level effort and intensity.

Why? They are very young and playing for a new coach and they haven't even played 20 games yet. It doesn't help that the "veterans" in the starting lineup aren't very good defensively either. Dieng is not a good defender and Rubio hasn't been as good defensively this year as year's past. These young guys are also tasked with learning offensively and carry heavy burdens on that end of the floor so it's really a full work load.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
JB2
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,091

Post#369 » by JB2 » Thu Dec 1, 2016 11:01 pm

poeman wrote:Watching them last night the team desperately needs some veteran winners to elevate them.

They should look to trade Zach Lavine or Dunn or Rubio

They can have Deng... give em a high character vet and all. I'll pack his belongings
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#370 » by pacers33granger » Thu Dec 1, 2016 11:30 pm

Expecting a team as young as the Timberwolves to be a playoff team or even close is foolish. They really have 3 solid "vets" - Rubio, Dieng, and Aldrich. All are decent to good players, but not close to lead a team type guys. The rest of the roster is super young. KAT, Wiggins, and Towns are all 21, Dunn is 22 and a rookie, Tyus is 20. Bjelica is 28, but hes a sophomore still adjusting to the NBA.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,968

Post#371 » by RCM88x » Thu Dec 1, 2016 11:34 pm

Rubio can't shoot from the outside.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#372 » by Ballerhogger » Thu Dec 1, 2016 11:56 pm

JB2 wrote:
poeman wrote:Watching them last night the team desperately needs some veteran winners to elevate them.

They should look to trade Zach Lavine or Dunn or Rubio

They can have Deng... give em a high character vet and all. I'll pack his belongings

Ill even pay shipping!
spursscott
Freshman
And1: 46

Post#373 » by spursscott » Fri Dec 2, 2016 12:26 am

chrisab123 wrote:
spursscott wrote:

lol what?

Gordon is a good defensive player. This is the type of guy Thibs would love to have on his roster.

Gordon is average at best. I have no clue where you are getting him being a good defensive player from. Thibs certainly already has better defensive talent on his current team.
Quentin
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,203

Post#374 » by Quentin » Fri Dec 2, 2016 12:59 am

Rubio is horrendous. Here's a guy who had 6 assists last night, 4 of them to Towns. That makes 2 assists to the rest of the team for the whole night. I understand he can't shoot and the other team doesn't guard him. But if that's your weakness, your strength should be somewhere. It isn't. He should be racking up assists with this athletic group. Problem is they have no room to work because Ricky doesn't demand a cover. It's 4 on 5 for the Wolves.
I hang out here and mnrubecentral
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#375 » by Prokorov » Fri Dec 2, 2016 3:47 am

Unbreakable99 wrote:They are near the bottom in wins yet again. I know it's early and they can turn it around but so far what is going on with them? I thought this would be the year they would make the playoffs and that KAT would be top 6 in MVP voting because of it. So far that doesn't look likely. I know Rubio got hurt but they were losing with him. What is going on with them? I thought Tom Thibodeau would make this team better.

i dont think you can call a team coming off 29 win season "struggling"

they are a really young team. as good as towns might be your not going to win on the back of 1 player just because they have good status. look at cousins and davis as examples.

young team. not enough veterans and their young guys havent hit their prime yet. still early in a new system. need to grow up still and consistency comes with that. need to learn each other
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,075

Post#376 » by tsherkin » Fri Dec 2, 2016 3:56 am

Milbuck wrote:
Zeitgeister wrote:

Pssst. This isn't how teaching works.
TheDavinciCHODE
Sixth Man
And1: 1,860

Post#377 » by TheDavinciCHODE » Fri Dec 2, 2016 5:05 am

spursscott wrote:
TheDavinciCHODE wrote:
Towns has had enough of a chance to carry this team to the playoffs, and he jus hasn't gotten it done yet. Sure he's putting up great numbers and is only about 100 games into his career, but it hasn't translated to winning, so it's time for him to go play 2nd banana on a title contender.

You do realize that you are contradicting your self, right?

yeah...how? Stop making excuses for this guy. Get the job done and make the playoffs. I'm tired of this BS. If he were so good, then they'd be at least .500 by now. Get him out of here. He's a bum.

He's a GOOD player and maybe borderline great, but he's not that good of a talent to bring a team to the playoffs. He's had enough time already. Get rid of him. Tank and get draft picks.
Ace_Rockola
Rookie
And1: 567

Post#378 » by Ace_Rockola » Fri Dec 2, 2016 5:32 am

TheDavinciCHODE wrote:
spursscott wrote:
TheDavinciCHODE wrote:
Towns has had enough of a chance to carry this team to the playoffs, and he jus hasn't gotten it done yet. Sure he's putting up great numbers and is only about 100 games into his career, but it hasn't translated to winning, so it's time for him to go play 2nd banana on a title contender.

yeah...how? Stop making excuses for this guy. Get the job done and make the playoffs. I'm tired of this BS. If he were so good, then they'd be at least .500 by now. Get him out of here. He's a bum.

He's a GOOD player and maybe borderline great, but he's not that good of a talent to bring a team to the playoffs. He's had enough time already. Get rid of him. Tank and get draft picks.

Wow.... just wow. Get out.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,397

Post#379 » by 76ciology » Fri Dec 2, 2016 5:53 am

You either have your C or your wings to anchor your defense. Wolves have none right now.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,341

Post#380 » by baldur » Fri Dec 2, 2016 6:56 am

TheDavinciCHODE wrote:
spursscott wrote:
TheDavinciCHODE wrote:

its just been realized this season towns is not as good as anthony davis. nowhere close in terms of potential and reachable ceiling. he was projected he would be better than anthony davis one day however it is not a realistic thought as of now. nonetheless, you did underrate him. the idea that getting rid of him for draft pick at the beginning of his second season is insane. you cant be serious.

Return to The General Board