Which bench warmers are future allstars?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Wally West
Starter
And1: 329

Re: Which bench warmers are future allstars? 

Post#21 » by Wally West » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:49 pm

Shabazz Muhammad. Still a believer.
Want: Trae Young, Michael Porter Jr., DeAndre Ayton, Jaren Jackson Jr, Marvin Bagley III, Mohamad Bamba, Shai Gilgeous- Alexander, Elie Okobo, Jevon Carter
Hellcrooner
Veteran
And1: 2,134

Post#22 » by Hellcrooner » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:21 pm

One out of/ both Hernangomez Bros....

Yeah i know, unlikely.

Just some Patriotic Wishful Thinking.
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,462

Post#23 » by Saints14 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:34 pm

Bender, Wade Baldwin, Jaylen Brown (he started a few games due to injury but is back to being a fringe rotation guy).
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,462

Post#24 » by Saints14 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:34 pm

Hellcrooner wrote:One out of/ both Hernangomez Bros....

Yeah i know, unlikely.

Just some Patriotic Wishful Thinking.

I liked Juan a lot pre draft
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#25 » by Zombiesonics » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:36 pm

Really like the topic OP, Nash and JO stories are pretty unique stories that only happen in the nba. My picks, after looking at age and general upside, are tyus ones and deyonta davis. Davis has a ton of physical tools and is on a winning team with a stacked front court, jones is similar to nash in that he is a lights out shooter and can pass. I would love to develop tyus as my starting pg in a few years, kid is TWENTY YEARS OLD.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,801

Post#26 » by Chuck Everett » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:50 pm

Noah Vonleh has talent but I doubt he will ever live up to it. Just not consistent enough. Can't string together multiple good plays in a row, then again, none of the bigs in Portland play well, including Ed Davis (who talked a lot of ish about Lionel Hollins, yet has been totl ass this year).
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,128

Post#27 » by moocow007 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:54 pm

It's not normal to have guys that sit at the end of the bench become stars. Those that do tend to be really really young/raw guys drafted into a situation where there's a lot of veterans that are already producing that you need to play and on teams that are trying to compete and win. Jermaine O'neal is a perfect example of that type of player and draft scenario. JO was coming straight out of HS onto a team that had A LOT of veteran bigs and who was trying to win. Wasn't until he got traded to a better situation before he really started to shine.

As far as current "bench warmers"? It probably would have to be someone that was drafted in 2016 or maybe 2015. Anyone else before that, should already be sniffing some significant rotation minutes or IMO you can forget about future all stardom. So far, guys that I think has some potential that have not been able to make their teams regular rotation are Dragan Bender and Thon Maker. Both are young, raw but extremely high upsided young bigs that have the profile that fits perfectly in today's NBA game. Maker's a lot further away than Bender probably but what I like his Makers competitiveness and intelligence. I think both guys have the potential to be impact players in the NBA. May not get there but I'd be excited about these 2 guys in the right system that can help them develop.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#28 » by The_Hater » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:12 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
ShazamDaShiznt wrote:no one

a bench warmer is that 10th-12th guy on the rotation who either has zero work ethic or he simply ain't talented enough to be a quality starter, yet alone an all star.

Not always. Steve Nash was stuck behind Jason Kidd and Kevin Johnson during his first tenure in Phoenix. He wasn't ready to be an all-star his first 2 years, but he clearly would have played more if he wasn't blocked by guys like this. Same with Jermaine O'Neal in Portland. Those were deep veteran teams and he just couldn't get minutes. Indy had opportunity for him and he quickly flourished into an all-star.

edit: and I'm supposed to name some young Maverick, right? Sorry we don't have any and even I can't try and sell you guys on Brussino or Hammons.

Whiteside could be an all star this season. He would fit the criteria too.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,592

Post#29 » by Ice Man » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:05 pm

Jimmy Butler is a true example. 8 minutes ppg as a rookie with 20 DNPs. I have no idea how to identify such players at the time. I watched every minute Butler played that year and had not a clue. I thought Thabo was his ceiling.
Fresh_Prince12
Head Coach
And1: 2,184

Post#30 » by Fresh_Prince12 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:21 pm

Hoping Thon maker can make this list. Absolutely no reason he isn't getting playing time now tbh
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#31 » by The_Hater » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:47 am

ShazamDaShiznt wrote:no one

a bench warmer is that 10th-12th guy on the rotation who either has zero work ethic or he simply ain't talented enough to be a quality starter, yet alone an all star. Even someone like Ben Wallace, he was considered a tweener in his rookie year, without any real position to play. He worked his ass off and he was physically gifted too. So he went from 6minute per game player in rookie season to 30+ minute starter and a defensive anchor. And that's extremely rare example because Ben Wallace work ethic is on kobe's level.

Michael Redd was a bench warmer in his rookie season I remember, but that was due to crowded backcourt, so I guess there might be another Redd type of player in the future but as you see it's really rare to go from non existant guy to the all star player.

Here is a list of players that have met the criteria I outlined besides Michael Redd:

Rasheed Lewis
Steve Nash
Jermaine O'Neal
Jimmy Butler
Alex English
Ben Wallace
Gerald Wallace

Zach Randolph (Close)
Hassan Whiteside (this season?)

I'm sure there are more but this kind of growth does happen.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Biased_Fan6425
Starter
And1: 1,381

Post#32 » by Biased_Fan6425 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:34 am

Zubac
Lets go Lakers!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,677

Post#33 » by dockingsched » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:10 am

Biased_Fan6425 wrote:Zubac
i believe OP is looking for replies besides the obvious answer of Zubac
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
jcuuofd
Analyst
And1: 511

Post#34 » by jcuuofd » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:11 am

Jamal Murray. Has a complete offensive skill set and is playing behind Emmanuel Mudiay.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Post#35 » by Patsfan1081 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:35 am

jcuuofd wrote:Jamal Murray. Has a complete offensive skill set and is playing behind Emmanuel Mudiay.

Murray's been playing big minutes all season, especially now he's been playing around thirty a game. If you want to consider a rookie a bench warmer then you have to look for guys that are stuck behind good players and are seeing barely any minutes, Bender, Brown, Dunn,etc...
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#36 » by AingesBurner » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:52 am

Exum and Lyles if they can put it together.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Ingles is cooked.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#37 » by Catchall » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:06 am

Marquese Chriss has the upside. I have no idea how many minutes he's playing.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,164

Post#38 » by YogurtProducer » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:33 am

Raptors have quite a few who I wouldn't be surprised if they wer ever all stars. Wright, Powell, Poeltl, even Nogueria all could be very good players in 4-5 years

Oh and Bruno of course
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
First Step
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,929

Post#39 » by First Step » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:44 am

Ben Simmons. You can't say I'm wrong....
ThumbsUpBaby
Head Coach
And1: 10,825

Post#40 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:29 am

mudsak wrote:I'd like to think that Dante Exum (jazz) could get there. He's an elite level athlete, a hard worker, and still really young. The potential is there. We'll see where it goes. He's anything but consistent at the moment, but his defense is great and he shows flashes of potential.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Dante Exum isn't a benchwarmer is he?

Also Embiid... based on the fact that he should be a 30+ mpg player. Although I'm glad the doctors are monitoring him.

Return to The General Board