Cool Magic Johnson story

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

lorak
Head Coach
And1: 2,231

Cool Magic Johnson story 

Post#1 » by lorak » Thu Dec 1, 2016 1:48 am

I used to have a membership at the Hollywood YMCA, and there as a pickup game there every single day. The normal game was just a bunch of guys who were there every day, but once or twice a week, some crazy good ex college and sometimes even ex pros came in.
You had 5 man teams, played to 10 points, winning team kept the court and the next team rotated in. When the really good guys came, they always played on the same team, and they ran the court for hours at a time. (They were dicks about it too, acting like they owned the place, etc.)
There was this really old man (60 or so) who played alot, he wasn't worth much but he could bomb threes like mad when he was hot, and he always claimed he was friends with Magic Johnson and that one day he'd bring him in and we'd finally get to beat this one really good group of guys. We all thought he was full of ****. Then, lo and behold, one day the group of really good guys came in and started winning, (one of them played for UCLA back in the day, and one of them had played pro in Europe) and they started ordering everyone around, calling cheap fouls, etc. So this old man lost it, he leaves and says he'll be back in twenty minutes. Twenty minutes later, he came back with, no ****, Magic Johnson.
This was like summer of 1997, so Magic was probably only a year or two removed from his comeback season with the Lakers. He was in really good shape, and he looked like he was about 37 feet tall compared to me, and I'm 6'3". So, Magic and this old man formed a team, I tried to get on it but they needed runners and I was a known gunner. Eventually it's their turn, and they take the court. Magic played PG, dribbled the ball up the court, and he said he would only shoot the ball two times per game. "The first bucket of the game, and the last." The other team just scoffed and said he could shoot all he wanted, they were obviously not scared at all.
Long story short, Magic absolutely destroyed the game, made those guys look like little boys. As he stated, he did indeed score the first bucket of the game, a very long three pointer (it actually only counted as 2, that's how we played) and then he just became strictly a passer. It seemed like he grabbed just about every rebound of the entire game, and made some insane passes. At one point he actually dribbled the ball up the court by running backwards, and was laughing and obviously not even trying at all. The old man who called him there ended up hitting a three to make the score 9-3, or maybe 9-4, I can't recall, but then Magic said "Ok, you guys get one more posession, then this game is over." With this big grin on his face. So the other team took the ball up the court, but all of a sudden, like a lightning bolt or something, Magic just... it was almost like he dissappeared, that's how fast he moved... he just exploded off his feet, stole the ball from the dribbler, dribbled the ball up the court like a sprinting deer, took it all the way to the hole and dunked it. Not a hard dunk, not a spectacular dunk, it was more like he dunked it the way a normal person would open their car door, like, his facial expression didn't even change. Game over.
Epilogue: The other guys were mad and demanded a rematch, but Magic said the rules of the court were that they had to give up the court to the winnig team and wait their turn to play again. Magic ended up playing there that day for about 2 hours, and won at least 10 games in that timespan. The really good team played his team 2 more times, and again Magic's team won both times, score was never even close.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/5frltv/the_day_magic_johnson_showed_up_at_the_local_y/
First Step
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,929

Re: Cool Magic Johnson story 

Post#2 » by First Step » Thu Dec 1, 2016 1:56 am

Am I missing something here? how is Magic Johnson, a top ten player of all time, dominating some plebs at a YMCA a cool story?
ItsThatEasy
Analyst
And1: 5,031

Post#3 » by ItsThatEasy » Thu Dec 1, 2016 1:57 am

Great story.

The ex UCLA player likely was Marques Johnson, he was notorious was joining random runs in LA until maybe 5 years ago, he doesn't really play much ball anymore.

Born and raised in Inglewood, California myself, I'm sure most basketball fans from the area will have some retired player, celeb stories. Personally I grew up playing against Derozan, Harden and Westbrook in the AAU circuit. Still having a hard time understanding how Westbrook went from the 6th man in travel ball to maybe the most athletic guard of all time.

Great competition though.
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#4 » by Goudelock » Thu Dec 1, 2016 1:59 am

Moral of the story: NBA players, even old and retired ones, are gods compared to your average rec-league player.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
MrCheerios
Analyst
And1: 887

Post#5 » by MrCheerios » Thu Dec 1, 2016 2:20 am

First Step wrote:Am I missing something here? how is Magic Johnson, a top ten player of all time, dominating some plebs at a YMCA a cool story?

It's cool to the guy who told it. Hell, if I took a punch from Mike Tyson it would be the story of my life if I survived.
lorak
Head Coach
And1: 2,231

Post#6 » by lorak » Thu Dec 1, 2016 2:20 am

First Step wrote:Am I missing something here? how is Magic Johnson, a top ten player of all time, dominating some plebs at a YMCA a cool story?

Yes, you are missing something here :)
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,623

Post#7 » by Cappy_Smurf » Thu Dec 1, 2016 2:21 am

Cool Magic story bro
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,869

Post#8 » by LakersLegacy » Thu Dec 1, 2016 3:42 am

PockyCandy wrote:Moral of the story: NBA players, even old and retired ones, are gods compared to your average rec-league player.

Magic is top 10 all time and arguably the best PG of all time. He isn't your ordinary former NBA player.
theforumblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,891

Post#9 » by theforumblue » Thu Dec 1, 2016 3:52 am

after you let him score that first bucket you dont even have to guard him. let him run around on his own, play 5vs4 on defense. or is that against the "unwritten" rules.
screw these absolute garbage refs
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#10 » by JellosJigglin » Thu Dec 1, 2016 4:32 am

theforumblue wrote:after you let him score that first bucket you dont even have to guard him. let him run around on his own, play 5vs4 on defense. or is that against the "unwritten" rules.

That's just Magic. One of those rare players who could dominate a game without looking to score.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
wallflower
Senior
And1: 108

Post#11 » by wallflower » Thu Dec 1, 2016 9:01 am

theforumblue wrote:after you let him score that first bucket you dont even have to guard him. let him run around on his own, play 5vs4 on defense. or is that against the "unwritten" rules.

Pretty sure if you tried that he'd be parked underneath the rim with an open shot daring the team to defend him, and that moment it would be 5vs1 + 4. with an open shot.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,161

Post#12 » by tsherkin » Thu Dec 1, 2016 2:47 pm

Fairly epic story. I love when stuff like this surfaces. Neat little pieces of trivia to add to the lore.
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,341

Post#13 » by jwise44 » Thu Dec 1, 2016 3:07 pm

LakersLegacy wrote:
PockyCandy wrote:Moral of the story: NBA players, even old and retired ones, are gods compared to your average rec-league player.

Magic is top 10 all time and arguably the best PG of all time. He isn't your ordinary former NBA player.

Well he is right, most NBA players (even bad ones) will destroy the talent at local gyms... i played against an old out of shape Shawn kemp and he still MURDERED all of us
JulesWinnfield
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,354

Post#14 » by JulesWinnfield » Thu Dec 1, 2016 3:36 pm

Obviously no Magic, but when Nate Robinson was a Knick he would regularly play in pick up games at a gym in white plains NY with members of a local gym chain called "NY Sports Clubs". Just show up randomly and get some run in. He would never really go full throttle or look for his own shot much unless the game was close, but in the one game I got to play in (happened to catch him once, other members told me he was there often) it was some experience just being on the court with an athlete of that caliber. Really incredible even when coasting. This was in his dunk contest days too
theforumblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,891

Post#15 » by theforumblue » Thu Dec 1, 2016 4:45 pm

wallflower wrote:

Pretty sure if you tried that he'd be parked underneath the rim with an open shot daring the team to defend him, and that moment it would be 5vs1 + 4. with an open shot.

except he said he will only score 2 buckets the whole game so... anyways i'm just nitpicking, it's a cool story. i've only played with few Division 1 guys and each of them dominated whenever they came out so i can't imagine any nba guy.
screw these absolute garbage refs
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,210

Post#16 » by LLJ » Thu Dec 1, 2016 5:20 pm

LakersLegacy wrote:

True. But even an NBA scrub should obliterate most rec league guys. The fact that Magic is a HOFer simply means there's even less of a chance at fluking out a win.
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,603

Post#17 » by Heej » Thu Dec 1, 2016 5:53 pm

Lmao good luck getting a single rebound with a 6'9" demigod completely unmarked. Read the story Magic got every board. That's why they dominated he just got boards and dimed people up until they scored.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
ThumbsUpBaby
Head Coach
And1: 10,824

Post#18 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Thu Dec 1, 2016 6:52 pm

Heej wrote:

Lmao good luck getting a single rebound with a 6'9" demigod completely unmarked. Read the story Magic got every board. That's why they dominated he just got boards and dimed people up until they scored.

Not to mention, that team were all runners (they specifically wanted runners on the team). You can imagine how everything was played out.
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,282

Post#19 » by Jedi32 » Thu Dec 1, 2016 7:34 pm

JellosJigglin wrote:

That's just Magic. One of those rare players who could dominate a game without looking to score.

G.O.A.T.!!! Great story

Return to The General Board