Durant hero ball has Draymond not too happy

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

DubTheVanDamage
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,182

Re: Durant hero ball has Draymond not too happy 

Post#301 » by DubTheVanDamage » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:33 pm

NormanDale wrote:
Patches Perry wrote:If it's a strategic thing more than anything to do with Westbrook's ability, it will be interesting to see if more teams start doing this. It's clearly beneficial to get the ball into the hands of a fast PG quicker. Washington with Gortat could probably box out for John Wall to get a bunch of rebounds to push the ball. There are other fast PGs in the league as well who would have an advantage by having the ball a little bit earlier in transition.

Has OKC started something that the rest of the league will start doing with their PGs? Could we see a wave of PGs averaging 6+ rebounds in the next 10 years?

False. It's strategic, yes, but it also has to do with Westbrook's insane athleticism. No, we won't see a wave of PG's doing this. I could see this strategy work with John Wall, though, who is almost as crazy an athlete as Westbrook is.

Except Harden doesn't have Westbrook's athleticism and he's about as good a rebounder as Russ. If he was more aggressive about stealing rebounds from the hands of his big men, his stats would be closer.*

* Relax people, just having fun with the Adams quote.
“I pretty much played the last three games with a broken hand,” James said as he sat there with a softcast on the right hand.
NormanDale
Rookie
And1: 629

Post#302 » by NormanDale » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:57 am

DubTheVanDamage wrote:You either have reading comprehension issues or you're just trying to be argumentative. I said, IF YOU WANT TO DISCUSS ADAMS, START A PC THREAD AND PM ME AND I WILL JOIN YOU THERE. Either discussing Westbrook blinds his fans with white rage or they're idiots, I cannot decide.

Hear you tell it, man I'm fallin/Well somebody must have caught him/Cause every fourth quarter/I like to Mike Jordan 'em.

"I think you'll find that these are the exact same dimensions as our gym back at Hickory."
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#303 » by richboy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:01 am

DubTheVanDamage wrote:
richboy wrote:
DubTheVanDamage wrote:
Wow, you are a great replacement for bondom34 because you blindly ignored what was posted and repeated your same argument.

Moses Malone, Dennis Rodman and Bill Russell didn't need their teammates to help them rebound. You put them with 4 replacement level players, and they will rebound just fine. Whatever they lose because their teammates didn't help box out, they'll pretty much gain from teammates not taking their rebounds.

Westbrook needs help rebounding because he's not on the level of Wilt Chamberlain... or Steven Adams.

Put Michael Jordan with 4 replacement level players, and he'll still score, but his efficiency will be materially impacted. Put him on the Dream Team, and he's harder to guard. Heck, the arguments of all of the Westbrook superfans is the reason his efficiency is so low and usage so high is because his teammates suck.

Say something new or insightful or I'm done with you.

Still waiting to hear how Adams helps RW get rebounds but doesn't rebound still when RW isn't in the game.

Didn't you already say RW was an elite rebounding guard. I'm guessing that means he can get a bunch of rebounds in any situation. Like I said I think this thread is made only because he averaging over 10. Your real point is well other circumstances he wouldn't average 10. Your right MJ would score on any situation. Would Jordan average 30 if he played with Kobe, Lebron, Iverson, and Shaq. How many rebounds would Rodman average if he played with Moses and Russell.

You either have reading comprehension issues or you're just trying to be argumentative. I said, IF YOU WANT TO DISCUSS ADAMS, START A PC THREAD AND PM ME AND I WILL JOIN YOU THERE. Either discussing Westbrook blinds his fans with white rage or they're idiots, I cannot decide.

Yes, I did say that Westbrook was an elite rebounding guard -- but elite rebounding guards don't get 10.5 rebounds per game unless others are boxing out opponents big men, because they cannot do it on their own. Which you conceded. An elite rebounding center or PF can do it on their own, thus the difference. Cousins is gettting fewer RPG than Westbrook but doing more to help his team secure rebounds and it is stupid or disengenous to argue otherwise.

As for all triple doubles being shams, no, if the rebounds are secured by not snatching them out of the hands of your teammate or relying on him to box out players you cannot routinely beat for the board, then it's a legit good triple double to me.

The only one with reading comprehension issues is the one that is blatantly ignoring that OKC rebounds much better with RW in the game. That the players you keep talking about don't have big increase in rebounding when RW isn't in the game. Nor did they do anything in previous years.

What do elite rebounding guards get? That point is meaningless. Your in essence saying there is a level he does it on his own. Again but 10.5 he can't do that on his own. Well in reality if you think Whiteside is getting 14 rebounds per game on his own you need to learn the game. That all rebounds are this intense battle under the glass among PFs and centers is not reality. When in reality many rebounds come off long. That RW gets a ton of rebounds away from the basket.

Once again part of the team aspect is doing things as a team. Westbrook is getting those rebounds. Your point would mean more if without Westbrook they were getting those rebounds. Your point would mean more if Adams wasn't on the floor he was rebounding less. Why you comparing Cousins to Westbrook with regards to rebounding. Your just looking at a number and trying to make this grand conclusion. RW rebounds against point guards. If the Kings had RW they likely get a lot more rebounds because he dominate his matchup on the glass.

OKC gets 13.5 rebounds per game at C
Sac gets 13.0 rebounds per game at C

OkC gets 9.1 rebounds per game at PF
Sac gets 10.6 rebounds per game at PF

OKC gets 12.0 rebounds per game at PG
Sac gets 4.4 rebounds per game at PG

OKC grabs 77.6% of the defensive rebounds 7th in the league
Sac grabs 75.8% of the rebounds 20th

Westbrook impact at dominating the guard spot on the glass is bigger than Cousin's who is pretty much matching his opponent on the glass. This doesn't mean RW is better on the glass than DC. Westbrook doesn't have to battle DC on the glass very often.

Matter of fact you could make a case that RW rebounds would go down if he played with Cousin's because he bad on defense and there would be less rebounds available. Either way your making statements and just waiting for something to back them up. Just like your James Harden take. Westbrook plays less minutes with better rebounders than Houston. Yet somehow Westbrook is the one stealing rebounds.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
nbafan341
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,148

Post#304 » by nbafan341 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:56 am

Who keeps bumping this thread? It was a peaceful discussion from durant and draymond and durant acknowledged he made a mistake.
DubTheVanDamage
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,182

Post#305 » by DubTheVanDamage » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:40 am

richboy wrote:The only one with reading comprehension issues is the one that is blatantly ignoring that OKC rebounds much better with RW in the game. That the players you keep talking about don't have big increase in rebounding when RW isn't in the game. Nor did they do anything in previous years.

On/off rebounding numbers can be useful, in context. There are the following problems:

1) You're making blanket statements about statistics without posting the statistics. Not helpful.

2) There needs to be a large enough sample size for numbers to be meaningful. Otherwise, game situation, opponents and teammates can skew numbers. As a simple example, we both agree that Pido is a much better rebounder than Morrow. But the 2 most common OKC lineups are:

Westbrook-Oladipo-Roberson-Sabonis-Adams with 344.2 MP
Westbrook-Morrow-Roberson-Sabonis-Adams with 100.6 MP

The first unit has a 49.0% rebounding rate, the second unit has a 53.5%. It appears to be a statistical anomaly, which, again, highlights the problems of looking at individual lineups with limited minutes.

It is still very interesting to note that the Thunder's most common lineup, by far, is below average in rebounding rate

On the other hand, the best Thunder rebounding lineup is: Christon-Oladipo-Grant-Lauvergne-Kanter, with a 62.0% rate in only 21.7 minutes this season. Again, it demonstrates the hazards of jumping to conclusions with small sample sizes. The next two best include Russ, Olapido, Kanter and Adams, which is unsurprising as it has their 4 best rebounders by positions

3) The Westbrook on/off rebounding stats are interesting because, before tonight's game, Westbrook has played 1459 minutes, leaving 577 PG minutes. Christon has played 556 minutes, almost all of them without Westbrook. So, on/off rebounding for Westbrook is mainly a comparison between Westbrook and Christon, who is grabbing 3.3 TRB/36 (and likely isn't stealing rebounds from Lauvergne's hands).

4) Of the Thunder's top 20 5 man units, not a single one has Adams on and Westbrook off. So any analysis of Adams without Westbrook is a minuscule sample size

richboy wrote:What do elite rebounding guards get? That point is meaningless. Your in essence saying there is a level he does it on his own. Again but 10.5 he can't do that on his own. Well in reality if you think Whiteside is getting 14 rebounds per game on his own you need to learn the game. That all rebounds are this intense battle under the glass among PFs and centers is not reality. When in reality many rebounds come off long. That RW gets a ton of rebounds away from the basket.

Here you go, spouting some random opinion as fact while being too lazy to check. Again, Westbrook isn't getting long rebounds at some amazing rate:

Rebounds <6 feet from the rim (contested, uncontested):
Westbrook 64, 214
Harden 49, 139
Curry 10, 54

Rebounds 6-10 feet from the rim (contested, uncontested):
Westbrook 13, 91
Harden 21, 85
Curry 9, 30

Rebounds >10 feet from the rim (contested, uncontested):
Westbrook 12, 56
Harden 8, 53
Curry 10, 54

richboy wrote:Once again part of the team aspect is doing things as a team. Westbrook is getting those rebounds. Your point would mean more if without Westbrook they were getting those rebounds. Your point would mean more if Adams wasn't on the floor he was rebounding less. Why you comparing Cousins to Westbrook with regards to rebounding. Your just looking at a number and trying to make this grand conclusion. RW rebounds against point guards. If the Kings had RW they likely get a lot more rebounds because he dominate his matchup on the glass.

See, this is why contested rebounds are such an important stat, because Westbrook isn't dominating his match up on the glass, he's getting uncontested rebounds. Most point guards certainly aren't trying to get an offensive rebound within 6 feet of the rim -- Westbrook's man is most likely nowhere near him when he's getting a defensive rebound.

I could see the argument that Westbrook's speed let's him track down a lot of long, hard rebounds but the data doesn't support that.

So, I really don't know how you can support your conclusion that Sacramento would be a much better rebounding team with Westbrook, because he certainly wouldn't be taking a lot of rebounds from guys like Hassan Whiteside and DeAndre Jordan -- you know, the guys who are actually contesting rebounds.

richboy wrote:Westbrook impact at dominating the guard spot on the glass is bigger than Cousin's who is pretty much matching his opponent on the glass. This doesn't mean RW is better on the glass than DC. Westbrook doesn't have to battle DC on the glass very often.

For once we agree -- Westbrook isn't battling a lot of centers for defensive rebounds... or power forwards... or small forwards... or shooting guards... or point guards. RW is getting 5.1 boards per game within 6 feet of his own rim, with no opponents within 3.5 feet of him. Overall, he's getting 8.6 RPG with no opposing player within 3.5 feet of him and 2.1 RPG while an opponent is closer.

Westbrook's contested rebounding numbers are terrific for a guard, but they're in line with other elite rebounding guards. His mid-to-long rebounding numbers are consistent with Harden's -- the only thing that he's doing at a historic pace is grabbing boards within 6 feet of the rim with no opposing player contesting him.

richboy wrote:Matter of fact you could make a case that RW rebounds would go down if he played with Cousin's because he bad on defense and there would be less rebounds available. Either way your making statements and just waiting for something to back them up. Just like your James Harden take. Westbrook plays less minutes with better rebounders than Houston. Yet somehow Westbrook is the one stealing rebounds.

I would agree that Westbrook's rebounds would go down if he was playing with DMC because there is no way DMC would give up boards like Adams does. But, you see, I actually back up my statements with data (except the last one, which was a joke).

I just don't understand your insistence on your wild guesses when it's contracted by the stats, the coach and his teammates.

You're squealing like a schoolgirl for a stat, the uncontested rebound, that defensive teams get 99% of the time and offensive teams get 97% of the time.
“I pretty much played the last three games with a broken hand,” James said as he sat there with a softcast on the right hand.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#306 » by bondom34 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:03 am

Oh for the love of...
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,292

Post#307 » by Black Jack » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:05 am

Draymond is happier than RealGMs
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
nbafan341
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,148

Post#308 » by nbafan341 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:07 pm

Draymond is one smart dude, im impressed how well he can read positioning and patterns on defence. Definitely impressed.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#309 » by Andre Roberstan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:20 pm

CAN WE STOP ALREADY.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,234

Post#310 » by Impuniti » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:32 pm

Kevistics wrote:Who keeps bumping this thread? It was a peaceful discussion from durant and draymond and durant acknowledged he made a mistake.

This topic has delved into something that has nothing to do with the title.

Return to The General Board