Durant hero ball has Draymond not too happy

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

PeptoKlepto
Senior
And1: 702

Re: Durant hero ball has Draymond not too happy 

Post#241 » by PeptoKlepto » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:16 pm

bmurph128 wrote:
PeptoKlepto wrote:
Patches Perry wrote:
I agree it's a fail, and it was an exact mirror of your comment. That was the point. There is literally no correlation between what fans talk about on message boards, and what GM's do to improve the teams they manage.

I do talk about the Warriors a lot, as I'm more of a general NBA fan than a local fan, and the Warriors are the talk of the town right now. I talked a lot about the Heat, Lakers, Celtics, etc of years past too. It's crazy that basketball fans talk about hot stories in basketball circles? Not really.

Just sayin'.

What are you "just sayin'"?

When Durant signed with the Warriors you get all that comes with that...the good and the bad. Part of that is fans and the media are going to talk about your team, a lot.

It makes complete sense that people would spend more time talking about the Warriors more often given how good they've become and how good they project to be.

It's not like the Warriors have been good that long - there was a time where nobody talked about them. Would you prefer to go back to that, and the losing that comes with it?

Didn't think so.

I'm saying that ya'll spend a little too much time talking/complaining about the Warriors...and here you are again. :lol:
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#242 » by bondom34 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:22 pm

PeptoKlepto wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:
PeptoKlepto wrote:
Just sayin'.

When Durant signed with the Warriors you get all that comes with that...the good and the bad. Part of that is fans and the media are going to talk about your team, a lot.

It makes complete sense that people would spend more time talking about the Warriors more often given how good they've become and how good they project to be.

It's not like the Warriors have been good that long - there was a time where nobody talked about them. Would you prefer to go back to that, and the losing that comes with it?

Didn't think so.

I'm saying that ya'll spend a little too much time talking/complaining about the Warriors...and here you are again. :lol:

Aren't you now complaining about people complaining about the Warriors? Mind blowing. :P
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
PeptoKlepto
Senior

Post#243 » by PeptoKlepto » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:24 pm

bondom34 wrote:
PeptoKlepto wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:

Didn't think so.

Aren't you now complaining about people complaining about the Warriors? Mind blowing. :P

"Just sayin'"

It's not me responding w/ paragraphs. :lol:
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Post#244 » by bmurph128 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:24 pm

PeptoKlepto wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:
PeptoKlepto wrote:
Just sayin'.

Didn't think so.

My post has more to do with you...not so much the Warriors. It's common sense that the Warriors and Cavs would be the most talked about teams. Not sure why you can't deal with that. You should be flattered that people talk about your team.

BTW, this is an NBA general talk forum - which means people will be discussing general topics, which could be about any team. Guess you don't remember the past two years when Warriors fans flooded the GB with talk about the team...it's what people come to a talk forum to do.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#245 » by bondom34 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:28 pm

PeptoKlepto wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
PeptoKlepto wrote:

"Just sayin'"

It's not me responding w/ paragraphs. :lol:

It is however a sentence. A sentence can be a paragraph.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
PeptoKlepto
Senior

Post#246 » by PeptoKlepto » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:34 pm

bmurph128 wrote:
PeptoKlepto wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:

Didn't think so.

My post has more to do with you...not so much the Warriors. It's common sense that the Warriors and Cavs would be the most talked about teams. Not sure why you can't deal with that. You should be flattered that people talk about your team.

BTW, this is an NBA general talk forum - which means people will be discussing general topics, which could be about any team. Guess you don't remember the past two years when Warriors fans flooded the GB with talk about the team...it's what people come to a talk forum to do.

I'm just sayin' ya'll spend a little too much time talking about the Warriors. Even more than your own teams. That's all - do with it what you want. :wink:
bmurph128
Lead Assistant

Post#247 » by bmurph128 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:49 pm

PeptoKlepto wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:
PeptoKlepto wrote:

I'm just sayin' ya'll spend a little too much time talking about the Warriors. Even more than your own teams. That's all - do with it what you want. :wink:

And our response is that you spend too much time talking about how fans talk about the Warriors too much. Guess we all have that problem.
PeptoKlepto
Senior

Post#248 » by PeptoKlepto » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:51 pm

bmurph128 wrote:
PeptoKlepto wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:

And our response is that you spend too much time talking about how fans talk about the Warriors too much. Guess we all have that problem.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jonatton Yeah
Veteran
And1: 4,062

Post#249 » by Jonatton Yeah » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:55 pm

What on Earth is going on here.
That's hilarious and co
DubTheVanDamage
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,182

Post#250 » by DubTheVanDamage » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:00 pm

Patches Perry wrote:I would love to see you connect the dots with a syllogism to simplify this whole thing.

Ok, I am going to truncate your post to get to the salient points:

In the context of rebounding, try to visualize what happens on a missed shot in the NBA in a standard half court offense:

1) On a short rebound, the ball bounces off the rim, one or more times. It goes into the air. While the ball is in the air for a relatively short period of time, the players under the rim try to anticipate the trajectory of the ball as well as fight for position. This means the following:

a) Quickness is of limited benefit because players tend to get to the spot before the ball does
b) Even if you wanted to take a direct path to the ball, you often cannot because bodies are in the way
c) If the offensive team is going for the rebound, it's nearly impossible not to have someone with 4 feet of a ball less than 6 feet from the rim. An opposing center standing near the rim will, by definition, contest most rebounds within 6 feet of the rim, never mind opposing forwards and guards
d) The margin for error in judgement is relatively small -- a player who misreads the speed of the ball off the rim might misjudge it by 1-2 feet but won't miss by 5
d) If a player does somehow win a ball by quickness, he's not getting 4 feet of separation because that's physically impossible in the second or so before the ball arrives

So the only situation where you're getting a ball within 6 feet of the rim and 4 feet away from an opposing player is either a) where the other team is not trying to rebound, b) the opposing team hasn't gotten in position to rebound or c) where teammates have done a good enough job of boxing out that no one can get within 4 feet of the ball

2) For long rebounds, sure, it takes the ball longer to arrive and there's a much greater margin for error in misjudging the ball, so speed and anticipation play a much larger role. I could completely believe that Westbrook would post better numbers on these balls but the data shows he does not (at least not materially more from other good rebounding guards)

Patches Perry wrote:To me, your argument is akin to discrediting a great scorer (player x) because most of his shots are open (by some arbitrary number of feet) even though that players ability to create open shots is the reason he is always open. Then circling back around and saying player y scores almost as much, but all of his points are not open. It seriously lacks context.

It's funny you say this because people absolutely do judge shooters on whether they primarily shoot contested or uncontested shots. That was a big knock on Harrison Barnes when he was on the Warriors: he was shooting a lot of wide open 3s. A player who creates his own shot generally isn't getting 4 feet of separation on a defender, at least not unless it's one of those 'ankle breaker' moments that make all of the highlights

Patches Perry wrote:A) The OKC bigs role in this is easy and easily replaceable. Boxing out and keeping your man away for the short period of time it takes for Westbrook to track the ball is not difficult - especially if you are not tasked with actually pursuing the ball yourself. Literally every team has guys who can do this.

My biggest issue here, not just with your post but with the emphasis on guard triple doubles is this: big men boxing out well IS the key skill here. Adams is the guy who is creating most of the value here, not Westbrook. It's ridiculous for people to ignore that and focus on the raw stats and shame on any OKC fan who disses Adams to promote Westbrook

Patches Perry wrote:D) I agree that his spike in rebounding numbers is not because of some newly formed skill, but rather an ability he has had for years but is now being utilized better, and something he has been tasked to focus on. To me, this doesn't mean his rebounding numbers are overrated this year as much as his ability to rebound was underrated in years past. Again, see Curry's shooting ability. He didn't magically become a better shooter in 2016. He was a monster at Davidson and could always shoot the lights out. It was a better situation. This doesn't mean he was overrated in 2016 but his shooting was underused in prior years.

You keep comparing rebounding to shooting but they are very different. First, rebounding is an individual skill, not a team skill. You don't need your team to give you 'rebounding attempts' (although, admittedly, offense and defensive responsibilities can limit a player's access to rebounds) and Dennis Rodman, for example, didn't require his teammates to pass or screen for him to get rebounds. While a young player's body development might help him grab rebounders, it's really not an acquired skill. Great rebounders are great rebounders and don't need a scheme to enable it. It's also worth noting that, with the SportVU data that we have, the players considered the best rebounders by their peers all get a lot of contested rebounds.

And, to sum it all up, that's the crux of the issue: if Westbrook's rebounding greatly improved, or the team 'cutting him free' to rebound more was truly what happened, his contested rebound numbers would have materially increased as well. If Westbrook were so quick that he was regularly beating guys by 4 feet to make a contested rebound into unconstested, that would imply that he would also sometimes beat them by 3 feet, or 2 feet and grab more contested rebounds, too. So, ALL of his rebounding numbers would have increased. Also, if unleashing Westbrook's magical rebounding was what happened, you'd expect OKC's rebounding numbers to increase, or at least stay relatively stable (i.e. losing KD and Ibaka but increasing Westbrook's role and adding Sabonis -- not to mention Pido, who's a pretty good rebounder for a guard) -- but OK's rebounding numbers have gone down this year from last: TRB 48.6 to 45.6, DRB% from 78.0 to 76.0, ORB% from 31.1 to 26.0.

So, objectively speaking, what does that tell you?
“I pretty much played the last three games with a broken hand,” James said as he sat there with a softcast on the right hand.
DubTheVanDamage
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,182

Post#251 » by DubTheVanDamage » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:16 pm

bondom34 wrote:1. You titled the thread saying he's a sham. Bruh.

2. OK.

3. I'm not, but saying Westbrook is a sham with total disregard to the fact that EVERY PERIMETER PLAYER GRABS A LOT OF UNCONTESTED REBOUNDS seems disingenuous, like maybe you're trying too hard to discredit someone.

Oh, because you are. Because maybe if this was so easy, someone, like anyone, like ever, would have done it.

4. I realize this. It has been tracked about 5 years. So you have data before that? Because I'd love to see it, maybe we can compare Nash, Jordan, Stockton, Brandon Roy, some all time greats. Please post, we'd love to see it!

No, I titled my thread "The Great Triple Double Sham", which neither was exclusively about Westbrook nor called him a sham. It applied to Harden's triple doubles, too -- although, again, because you seem not to understand -- regardless of the fact that I consider their rebounding numbers to be enhanced by their teams' systems, both Harden and Westbrook are terrific players having terrific seasons. Houston fans didn't freak out, why did OKC fans?

Yes, all perimeter players get a lot of uncontested rebounds, I agree with you, so why are you yelling at me? My point is this: me saying that Westbrook isn't doing anything historic or particularly special because his he's not grabbing an especially high number of contested rebounds isn't negated by the fact that 78% of Durant's rebounds are uncontested, it's a complete non-sequitur. What next, are you going to tell me that 9/10 dentists recommend sugarless gum for their patients who chew gum?

Again, Westbrook's uncontested rebounding numbers shot up, while his uncontested rebounding numbers did not. His team's rebounding numbers declined. Getting 10RPG for a guard is very impressive, although the Big O did it. Westbrook is an elite rebounder for a guard. But, no, without his teammates doing most of the heavy lifting, he would not be putting up 10 boards per game. I'm sorry that upsets you so much.
“I pretty much played the last three games with a broken hand,” James said as he sat there with a softcast on the right hand.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#252 » by bondom34 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:19 pm

DubTheVanDamage wrote:

2. OK.

3. I'm not, but saying Westbrook is a sham with total disregard to the fact that EVERY PERIMETER PLAYER GRABS A LOT OF UNCONTESTED REBOUNDS seems disingenuous, like maybe you're trying too hard to discredit someone.

Oh, because you are. Because maybe if this was so easy, someone, like anyone, like ever, would have done it.

4. I realize this. It has been tracked about 5 years. So you have data before that? Because I'd love to see it, maybe we can compare Nash, Jordan, Stockton, Brandon Roy, some all time greats. Please post, we'd love to see it!

No, I titled my thread "The Great Triple Double Sham", which neither was exclusively about Westbrook nor called him a sham. It applied to Harden's triple doubles, too -- although, again, because you seem not to understand -- regardless of the fact that I consider their rebounding numbers to be enhanced by their teams' systems, both Harden and Westbrook are terrific players having terrific seasons. Houston fans didn't freak out, why did OKC fans?

Yes, all perimeter players get a lot of uncontested rebounds, I agree with you, so why are you yelling at me? My point is this: me saying that Westbrook isn't doing anything historic or particularly special because his he's not grabbing an especially high number of contested rebounds isn't negated by the fact that 78% of Durant's rebounds are uncontested, it's a complete non-sequitur. What next, are you going to tell me that 9/10 dentists recommend sugarless gum for their patients who chew gum?

Again, Westbrook's uncontested rebounding numbers shot up, while his uncontested rebounding numbers did not. His team's rebounding numbers declined. Getting 10RPG for a guard is very impressive, although the Big O did it. Westbrook is an elite rebounder for a guard. But, no, without his teammates doing most of the heavy lifting, he would not be putting up 10 boards per game. I'm sorry that upsets you so much.

So its a sham, and not particularly special. Only nobody's done it in about 50 years. But its not particularly impressive.

It doesn't really upset me, I don't care if he averages 8 or 10 rebounds or whatever. But it is rather bizarre to have that conclusion. It isn't particularly noteworthy Curry shot over 40 percent from 3, he was open on a lot of shots. Open shots are easy. Not special, a sham. See how ludicrous that sounds?

I hope you realize how that sounds. It's kinda amazing if you don't.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant

Post#253 » by bmurph128 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:29 pm

bondom34 wrote:
DubTheVanDamage wrote:

2. OK.

So its a sham, and not particularly special. Only nobody's done it in about 50 years. But its not particularly impressive.

It doesn't really upset me, I don't care if he averages 8 or 10 rebounds or whatever. But it is rather bizarre to have that conclusion. It isn't particularly noteworthy Curry shot over 40 percent from 3, he was open on a lot of shots. Open shots are easy. Not special, a sham. See how ludicrous that sounds?

Agree with this.

The OP is trying a little too hard to discredit Westbrook's season. IMO, it's a veiled attempt to discredit Westbrook, not Harden, and that's why OKC fans took offense.

Harden has gotten triple doubles, but he's not averaging one - that talk has centered around mostly Westbrook.

I mean, the OP said in the same post that Westbrook's teammates help him get those rebounds, then went on to say rebounds are not a team stat - that's a contradiction if there ever was one. Further, without wading through all the BS in this thread, you can arrive at the conclusion that what RW is doing is amazing because of this simple fact: nobody has done it since the Big O.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#254 » by FNQ » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:43 pm

What Westbrook is doing is pretty incredible. If he were overrated we'd be calling him the GOAT, because 30-10-10 is pretty damn incredible.

Did any Warriors fans really expect not to be one of the top topics of conversation this year with the giant target we have on our back due to Durant?

These aren't hot takes.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#255 » by michaelm » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:57 pm

bmurph128 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
DubTheVanDamage wrote:

Agree with this.

The OP is trying a little too hard to discredit Westbrook's season. IMO, it's a veiled attempt to discredit Westbrook, not Harden, and that's why OKC fans took offense.

Harden has gotten triple doubles, but he's not averaging one - that talk has centered around mostly Westbrook.

I mean, the OP said in the same post that Westbrook's teammates help him get those rebounds, then went on to say rebounds are not a team stat - that's a contradiction if there ever was one. Further, without wading through all the BS in this thread, you can arrive at the conclusion that what RW is doing is amazing because of this simple fact: nobody has done it since the Big O.

Even without the rebounds his numbers are amazing.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#256 » by michaelm » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:00 pm

FNQ wrote:What Westbrook is doing is pretty incredible. If he were overrated we'd be calling him the GOAT, because 30-10-10 is pretty damn incredible.

Did any Warriors fans really expect not to be one of the top topics of conversation this year with the giant target we have on our back due to Durant?

These aren't hot takes.

The title of the thread actually concerns 2 Warriors players ffs.
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,364

Post#257 » by Patches Perry » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:20 pm

PeptoKlepto wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:
PeptoKlepto wrote:

Go away if you don't like people talking about popular basketball teams on a basketball forum. You're like the kid who came to school just for lunch.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,077

Post#258 » by MrBigShot » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:32 pm

Even if Westbrook makes a concerted effort to grab a lot of boards & the Thunder allow him to do so, it's still exceptionally difficult to notch a triple double.

Really, how many other players are there that could outright drop a triple double if they decided they want to go for a triple double on any particular night? Harden + LeBron and that's about it. Westbrook averages one.

There's no sham in notching triple doubles because his team thrives when he dominates the ball & can start the break himself off of rebounds. Sham = player stat padding during a game already decided to try and get a triple double.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#259 » by bondom34 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:36 pm

Oh and the team rebounds 4% better with him on court than off court.
PeptoKlepto
Senior

Post#260 » by PeptoKlepto » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:43 pm

Patches Perry wrote:
PeptoKlepto wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:

Go away if you don't like people talking about popular basketball teams on a basketball forum. You're like the kid who came to school just for lunch.

I'm just sayin' man - you're doing too much. You're over consumed now...you can't even drop this. :lol:

Return to The General Board