Is Isiash Thomas the best PG in the EAST? [Poll added]

Moderators: Knickstape1214, DayofMourning, Dirk Nowitzki, Mr. E, bwgood77, BombsquadSammy, ken6199, Tarik Black, magnumt, GimmeDat, Rhettmatic, KF10, Slava, CoreyGallagher, Yuri Vaultin

Who is the best PG in the East?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 4, 2017 7:39 pm

Goran Dragic
2
3%
Kemba Walker
1
2%
Kyle Lowry
22
36%
Kyrie Irving
1
2%
Isaiah Thomas
20
33%
John Wall
15
25%
 
Total votes: 61

User avatar
Infinite Llamas
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,814
And1: 2,968
Joined: Jul 22, 2006
Location: Land of Llamas
   

Re: Is Isiash Thomas the best PG in the EAST? 

Post#161 » by Infinite Llamas » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:59 pm

bmurph128 wrote:
Braggins wrote:Lowry
Wall
Kemba
IT
Kyrie



C'mon man. I'm good with Lowry and Wall ahead of Kyrie, but that's it.


What exactly does Irving do better than Isaiah?? Isaiah is the better passer, turns it over less, gets to the foul line more, shoots better. Isaiah does not have the luxury of playing next to an all-time great. Irving never would have even sniffed the postseason if it wasn't for lebron showing up. Guys like Isaiah, Wall and Walker have to lead their teams every night because if they don't, there's a good chance their team will lose.
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
Braggins
Head Coach
Posts: 7,035
And1: 2,130
Joined: Jan 05, 2014
 

Re: Is Isiash Thomas the best PG in the EAST? 

Post#162 » by Braggins » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:08 am

Infinite Llamas wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:
Braggins wrote:Lowry
Wall
Kemba
IT
Kyrie



C'mon man. I'm good with Lowry and Wall ahead of Kyrie, but that's it.


What exactly does Irving do better than Isaiah?? Isaiah is the better passer, turns it over less, gets to the foul line more, shoots better. Isaiah does not have the luxury of playing next to an all-time great. Irving never would have even sniffed the postseason if it wasn't for lebron showing up. Guys like Isaiah, Wall and Walker have to lead their teams every night because if they don't, there's a good chance their team will lose.

Kyrie is basically a rich mans version of prime Jamal Crawford as far as I'm concerned. I think hes one of the more overrated players in the league at this point in his career. IT is just flat out better and smarter than him on offense and isn't really any worse than Kyrie on defense, which is pretty pathetic considering Kyrie has prototypical PG size and IT is an NBA midget.
User avatar
DK-All Day
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,596
And1: 3,550
Joined: Oct 12, 2013
       

Re: Is Isiash Thomas the best PG in the EAST? 

Post#163 » by DK-All Day » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:55 am

The only PG in the East I would take over IT is Wall and Kyrie. Pretty much it.
Dude.
bmurph128
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,654
And1: 1,079
Joined: May 28, 2015
     

Re: Is Isiash Thomas the best PG in the EAST? 

Post#164 » by bmurph128 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:07 pm

Infinite Llamas wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:
Braggins wrote:Lowry
Wall
Kemba
IT
Kyrie



C'mon man. I'm good with Lowry and Wall ahead of Kyrie, but that's it.


What exactly does Irving do better than Isaiah?? Isaiah is the better passer, turns it over less, gets to the foul line more, shoots better. Isaiah does not have the luxury of playing next to an all-time great. Irving never would have even sniffed the postseason if it wasn't for lebron showing up. Guys like Isaiah, Wall and Walker have to lead their teams every night because if they don't, there's a good chance their team will lose.



Kyrie plays much better defense in the playoffs than IT is even capable of. There's a difference between not trying and not being capable. If you look at regular season alone - particularly this season - Kyrie looks bad because the entire Cavs team looks bad in general.

To your points though - yes, playing LeBron does make Kyrie better. But it's also limiting when you have to adapt your game to fit next to an all time great player.

We see these one off great seasons all the time. Stevens is an excellent coach that gets the most out of his players. IT is having a better year this year than Kyrie, but that would be a first. I need to see this again from him, and if we meet in the playoffs, I would actually have to see him hold his own against Kyrie. But I'm pretty sure he will get destroyed.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
Posts: 11,359
And1: 1,760
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: Is Isiash Thomas the best PG in the EAST? 

Post#165 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:12 pm

bmurph128 wrote:
We see these one off great seasons all the time. Stevens is an excellent coach that gets the most out of his players. IT is having a better year this year than Kyrie, but that would be a first. I need to see this again from him, and if we meet in the playoffs, I would actually have to see him hold his own against Kyrie. But I'm pretty sure he will get destroyed.


Now that's the sane version of IT doubt.

IT is the better player this season, and will deservedly far outpace Kyrie in the MVP voting accordingly. But the onus is on him to keep it up or perhaps even get better yet.
jangles86
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,609
And1: 454
Joined: Jun 02, 2011
 

Re: Is Isiash Thomas the best PG in the EAST? 

Post#166 » by jangles86 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:17 am

John Wall is comfortably the best Point guard in the east and only behind Westbrook and Curry in the league.
robbie84
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,975
And1: 791
Joined: Dec 24, 2011
Location: Harvard, MA.
     

Re: Is Isiash Thomas the best PG in the EAST? 

Post#167 » by robbie84 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:10 pm

I love IT, and I think he's been better than Kyrie this year.

I think John Wall has started to cement himself as the best point guard in the East. He continues his current form he will be the best point guard in the NBA.
I'm not sure if he can keep this level of play up (shooting wise), because he is suddenly hitting the jumpshots that were always a question mark on his potential greatness.

If he does this over the playoffs, and through next season, he'll be an MVP candidate.
I think Isaiah has had the best season of all PG's in the East, but John Wall is playing the best ball of his career and of any PG in the East since MVP Rose. Rose did it for a whole season though so I'll hold my breath till Wall does it for 12 months.
Marcus Smart will go down as one of the greatest defenders in NBA history. Mark my words.
shukle
Freshman
Posts: 92
And1: 116
Joined: Jan 12, 2012

Re: Is Isiash Thomas the best PG in the EAST? 

Post#168 » by shukle » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:21 pm

We will see what happens in the playoffs...

Some of you have very short memories about Kyrie. Don't you guys remember him consistently outplaying the unanimous MVP last june? As well as every other PG's he faced en route to a championship winning shot?

It's pretty funny cuz the same guys bashing Kyrie for being overrated are bashing LBJ for needing a stacked team to win. Either Kyrie/Love are amazing and LBJ has a stacked team, or they're overrated and LBJ is still doing it mostly by himself. Can't have both.
robbie84
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,975
And1: 791
Joined: Dec 24, 2011
Location: Harvard, MA.
     

Re: Is Isiash Thomas the best PG in the EAST? 

Post#169 » by robbie84 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:22 pm

shukle wrote:We will see what happens in the playoffs...

Some of you have very short memories about Kyrie. Don't you guys remember him consistently outplaying the unanimous MVP last june? As well as every other PG's he faced en route to a championship winning shot?

It's pretty funny cuz the same guys bashing Kyrie for being overrated are bashing LBJ for needing a stacked team to win. Either Kyrie/Love are amazing and LBJ has a stacked team, or they're overrated and LBJ is still doing it mostly by himself. Can't have both.



Kyrie is great, but does he get out of the first round without Lebron?
Marcus Smart will go down as one of the greatest defenders in NBA history. Mark my words.
shukle
Freshman
Posts: 92
And1: 116
Joined: Jan 12, 2012

Re: Is Isiash Thomas the best PG in the EAST? 

Post#170 » by shukle » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:31 pm

robbie84 wrote:
shukle wrote:We will see what happens in the playoffs...

Some of you have very short memories about Kyrie. Don't you guys remember him consistently outplaying the unanimous MVP last june? As well as every other PG's he faced en route to a championship winning shot?

It's pretty funny cuz the same guys bashing Kyrie for being overrated are bashing LBJ for needing a stacked team to win. Either Kyrie/Love are amazing and LBJ has a stacked team, or they're overrated and LBJ is still doing it mostly by himself. Can't have both.



Kyrie is great, but does he get out of the first round without Lebron?

This question is point less. Kyrie is playing with LBJ, deal with it. No player reaches the playoffs by himself anyways. IT has a very well constructed team around him too. Perfectly designed to cover his weaknesses while letting him do his thing on offense. IT is playing great, overachieved like crazy considering his draft stock. He is a joy to watch and a great player. But regular season is regular season. Playoffs are a different animal.

Wade and Bosh didn't become better player next to LeBron. Kyrie has always been able to do his thing, he doesn't need lebron to score and be effective. He does need LeBron to put him in the position to score the championship winning shot, but he'd do his thing on any other team. Kyrie's team before LBJ got here was utter thrash, cant hold it againt him.
Sisqo
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,535
And1: 774
Joined: Apr 27, 2007
     

Re: Is Isiash Thomas the best PG in the EAST? 

Post#171 » by Sisqo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:47 pm

jangles86 wrote:John Wall is comfortably the best Point guard in the east and only behind Westbrook and Curry in the league.


Seems like a fair and unbiased opinion...
Sisqo
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,535
And1: 774
Joined: Apr 27, 2007
     

Re: Is Isiash Thomas the best PG in the EAST? 

Post#172 » by Sisqo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:48 pm

robbie84 wrote:
shukle wrote:We will see what happens in the playoffs...

Some of you have very short memories about Kyrie. Don't you guys remember him consistently outplaying the unanimous MVP last june? As well as every other PG's he faced en route to a championship winning shot?

It's pretty funny cuz the same guys bashing Kyrie for being overrated are bashing LBJ for needing a stacked team to win. Either Kyrie/Love are amazing and LBJ has a stacked team, or they're overrated and LBJ is still doing it mostly by himself. Can't have both.



Kyrie is great, but does he get out of the first round without Lebron?


Better question is does he get TO the first round without lebron.
User avatar
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
Posts: 7,725
And1: 791
Joined: Jun 27, 2006
Location: Va DC Metro
         

Re: Is Isiash Thomas the best PG in the EAST? 

Post#173 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:50 pm

Can't compare Kyrie to IT. IT has to carry his team as the best player. Kyrie is a sidekick on a stacked team.
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 19,730
And1: 4,963
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: Is Isiash Thomas the best PG in the EAST? 

Post#174 » by Prokorov » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:50 pm

zronv7 wrote:Putting up historical numbers in the 4th quarter, natural born clutch closer.

33ppg last 10 games on 50% shooting

28/6/3 this year with 27 per


no. give me lowry for sure and probably wall too.
laika
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,735
And1: 847
Joined: Mar 22, 2011

Re: Is Isiash Thomas the best PG in the EAST? 

Post#175 » by laika » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:09 pm

jangles86 wrote:John Wall is comfortably the best Point guard in the east and only behind Westbrook and Curry in the league.


According to advanced stats it's Lowry and it's not even close.
User avatar
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
Posts: 7,725
And1: 791
Joined: Jun 27, 2006
Location: Va DC Metro
         

Re: Is Isiash Thomas the best PG in the EAST? 

Post#176 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:11 pm

laika wrote:
jangles86 wrote:John Wall is comfortably the best Point guard in the east and only behind Westbrook and Curry in the league.


According to advanced stats it's Lowry and it's not even close.


The same Lowry that Wall swept and dominated in the playoffs. Sorry, Wall is 5 years younger and the best pg in the east. Raptors as a team have been struggling the last two months. IT has also been playing better than Lowry the last month.
supremacy
Analyst
Posts: 3,574
And1: 193
Joined: Nov 30, 2011
 

Re: Is Isiash Thomas the best PG in the EAST? 

Post#177 » by supremacy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:14 pm

He's not. Wall, outside of scoring, is more well-rounded. But IT has a legitimate argument for 2nd. Especially with the impact, and continued performances he's been having.
Image

Signature by freshcontrast
User avatar
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 17,796
And1: 982
Joined: Oct 11, 2004

Re: Is Isiash Thomas the best PG in the EAST? 

Post#178 » by Rafael122 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:22 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't IT4 legitimately one of the worse defenders in the NBA? I believe he has a negative DPRM in the 4's...that's horrendous. He's one of the best point guards in the East for sure, but the best? Especially when he gives up as many points as he scores?
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
User avatar
binjumper
Junior
Posts: 399
And1: 486
Joined: Oct 02, 2009
       

Re: Is Isiash Thomas the best PG in the EAST? 

Post#179 » by binjumper » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:23 pm

These threads are pointless cause you just look at who's hot at the moment and crown them. Wait till playoffs. Enjoy the season.

It's close with IT Lowry and Wall. Wall has age on his side.
Image
User avatar
whysoserious
RealGM
Posts: 26,074
And1: 4,946
Joined: Jun 19, 2004
       

Re: Is Isiash Thomas the best PG in the EAST? 

Post#180 » by whysoserious » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:32 pm

If you look at it objectively the four best PG's in the East are Lowry, Wall, Irving and IT.

Of those four, Wall probably has the best combination of tools. Irving also has a ton of tools, just don't think he always maximizes them on the court.

At this given time, Wall and IT are easily playing the best of the four so they kind of push ahead at this time. And IT's fourth quarter performances are unreal. I fear that their will be a regression as teams adjust and his size will limit his long-term impact but he's on a run now and if he keeps it up, he's obviously int eh conversation.
Image

Return to The General Board