Is Ibaka really 27?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

How old is ibaka? (in your opinion)

Actually 27
15%
28-30
19%
31-33
42%
34-36
8%
37+
16%

Total votes: 364

jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Re: Is Ibaka really 27? 

Post#101 » by jlokine » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:19 pm

the defensive decline could also be the change in his role and change in nba. he obviously added the 3pt shot to his game since prime OKC years. his rebounding took a hit because he's hanging out on the perimeter. his shot blocking declined could also how GSW changed the game in the last 3 seasons. now he is matched up with stretch 4s and not patrolling the paint as much anymore.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#102 » by HurricaneKid » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:27 pm

jrob23 wrote:
paulbball wrote:Bucks has had a history of drafting players older than listed. Yi Jianlian is 3 years older. Ilyasova is 3 years older. Thon Maker is 4 years older.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ibaka was a few years older than his actual age. It is popular and easy to fake your age in parts of Asia and Africa.

except Maker ISN'T older. The stupid yearbook rumor was put to bed right after the draft. Does nobody pay attention nowadays..even so far as to let months go by and they're still spouting nonsense? smh

WHAT?

No it wasn't. He was in HS for 4 years in Australia, then went to Canada for 4 more years of HS, then took a "victory lap" for a 9th year in HS. There is a thread in the Bucks forum with >300 pages with multiple pictures of these various yearbooks. The reason he didn't go to a HS in the US was that his handler was known for such shenanigans and the transcripts he would have had to show would have made it evident he wasn't eligible. Same reason he took a "victory lap" rather than go to a major university.

Ibaka also has a daughter that is suspiciously older and has gray hair.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,725

Post#103 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:22 pm

Boston34Bg wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:Who cares, he will be a better/cheaper Biyombo for us.

I dunno about cheaper. They are really different players, so define better?

One makes 17mill this year, the other makes 12 mill. So we get a massive deal this year, maybe pay market price next year.

Both are mobile 6'10" defensive shotblockers...just one can put up 15ppg and drain 3's at a high clip.

He going to be filling the Biz roll on the defensive end, Biz was a liability on the offensive end however. Ibaka will be great in our system filling that roll. Biz was great, but he was never a DPOY candidate like Ibaka was either.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#104 » by Mylie10 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:18 pm

Maybe it's the Benjamin Button case and Ibaka is getting younger? I mean are there even photos of a young Ibaka?

Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#105 » by Mylie10 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:21 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:
jrob23 wrote:
paulbball wrote:Bucks has had a history of drafting players older than listed. Yi Jianlian is 3 years older. Ilyasova is 3 years older. Thon Maker is 4 years older.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ibaka was a few years older than his actual age. It is popular and easy to fake your age in parts of Asia and Africa.

except Maker ISN'T older. The stupid yearbook rumor was put to bed right after the draft. Does nobody pay attention nowadays..even so far as to let months go by and they're still spouting nonsense? smh

WHAT?

No it wasn't. He was in HS for 4 years in Australia, then went to Canada for 4 more years of HS, then took a "victory lap" for a 9th year in HS. There is a thread in the Bucks forum with >300 pages with multiple pictures of these various yearbooks. The reason he didn't go to a HS in the US was that his handler was known for such shenanigans and the transcripts he would have had to show would have made it evident he wasn't eligible. Same reason he took a "victory lap" rather than go to a major university.

Fabulous info, true, or not.

Can you post Ibaka's grey haired daughter photos? I'm intrigued.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Post#106 » by FlatearthZorro » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:32 pm

Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:
Boston34Bg wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:Who cares, he will be a better/cheaper Biyombo for us.

I dunno about cheaper. They are really different players, so define better?

One makes 17mill this year, the other makes 12 mill. So we get a massive deal this year, maybe pay market price next year.

Both are mobile 6'10" defensive shotblockers...just one can put up 15ppg and drain 3's at a high clip.

He going to be filling the Biz roll on the defensive end, Biz was a liability on the offensive end however. Ibaka will be great in our system filling that roll. Biz was great, but he was never a DPOY candidate like Ibaka was either.

ZZ

This year-yes. Next year I doubt it. He is a good fit, I watched Bismack play for you last year and he waw awesome albeit being offensively limited.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#107 » by PharmD » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:43 pm

jlokine wrote:the defensive decline could also be the change in his role and change in nba. he obviously added the 3pt shot to his game since prime OKC years. his rebounding took a hit because he's hanging out on the perimeter. his shot blocking declined could also how GSW changed the game in the last 3 seasons. now he is matched up with stretch 4s and not patrolling the paint as much anymore.

So why have these league-wide changes only affected Ibaka's block rate and not everyone's block rate?
bon
General Manager
And1: 13,395

Post#108 » by bon » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:27 pm

PharmD wrote:
jlokine wrote:the defensive decline could also be the change in his role and change in nba. he obviously added the 3pt shot to his game since prime OKC years. his rebounding took a hit because he's hanging out on the perimeter. his shot blocking declined could also how GSW changed the game in the last 3 seasons. now he is matched up with stretch 4s and not patrolling the paint as much anymore.

So why have these league-wide changes only affected Ibaka's block rate and not everyone's block rate?

But it has

Take a look at the top 10 in BLK/G year-to-year: http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/blk_per_g_top_10.html (check out where Ibaka ranks too. Consistently one of the top shot blockers in the league even with his declining numbers. What does that say?)

It's quite obvious to see that the top shot blockers are just not posting the same kinds of numbers they used to and the 3 point heavy approach of the league is a big factor in that.

And as an aside, can anyone explain Whiteside's massive drop off in BLK/G? Or is he secretly older than his actual age too? :lol:
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#109 » by PharmD » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:37 pm

Anthony Davis, the guy that led the league in blocks the year after Ibaka, has a block rate that's 82% of his league-leading year. Ibaka's is 43% of his league-leading year. The difference is huge.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#110 » by CptCrunch » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:48 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
HurricaneKid wrote:
jrob23 wrote:

WHAT?

Fabulous info, true, or not.

Can you post Ibaka's grey haired daughter photos? I'm intrigued.

The Maker is 19 crowd is banking on the fact that Maker graduated from Aranmore Catholic College (High School) at age 14. This piece of info is not even on his carefully curated Wiki page fyi because it gets removed every time it gets edited in. This fact can't even be disputed. For Thon Maker is be 19, he graduated from Australian high school at the age of 14 along side of his 18/19 year old classmates back then.

THEN the dude decided to attend high school AGAIN in the US, spending 4 years at schools in Louisiana and Virginia. Oh did I add that he repeated part of 8th grade in the US (guessing he needed some middle school transcript to enroll). Yes, the dude literally went from Australian high school to American middle school then American high school.

THEN the dude decided to forgo college after being recruited by Kansas, Kentucky. Spends a year in a barn sized building training in Ontario. (Hint eligibility issues).

This dude's past is magnitudes sketchier than Yi + Ilyasova + Ibaka combined.

And don't get me started on how his handlers tried to explain away his stay at Aranmore, perhaps the most ridiculous part of Thon's fraudulent saga.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#111 » by jonjames » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:55 pm

Basti wrote:Well... let's just end the debate, cut his legs in half and count the rings.

I don't get? Is there something I'm missing in here?
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#112 » by snoopdogg88 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:57 pm

I think it's pretty simple.

Ibaka just looks damn old. Chances are he's probably a few years older 1989
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#113 » by thamadkant » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:15 pm

PharmD wrote:Anthony Davis, the guy that led the league in blocks the year after Ibaka, has a block rate that's 82% of his league-leading year. Ibaka's is 43% of his league-leading year. The difference is huge.

If you watch Davis a lot which I do... He gets heaps of blocks or block attempts at smaller players taking jump shots at the perimeter whilst being guarded by him... He gets a lot of tip blocks.
Lego Legs
Junior
And1: 817

Post#114 » by Lego Legs » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:24 pm

jonjames wrote:
Basti wrote:Well... let's just end the debate, cut his legs in half and count the rings.

I don't get? Is there something I'm missing in here?

Why don't you make like a tree a leaf.

Spoiler:
Ok, I'll answer. Trees, when you cut them down have rings on their trunk. The rings are a result of growth each year. Therefore, you can work out how old a tree is by counting the rings.

nbafan341
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,148

Post#115 » by nbafan341 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:55 pm

of course ibaka is 27, just like how thon maker is really 19
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,261

Post#116 » by Froob » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:59 pm

oceanlife wrote:
johanliebert wrote:do you guys have similiar threads for guys like kanter/ilyasova or is it just the black players?

We did have these same exact talks about Yi Jiliang. It wasn't baseless because in China faking birth information is practically a national sport. Athletes misrepresenting their age is unfortunately becoming more and more common at all levels.

Need to call up ole Teddy Wells to investigate these crimes since he isn't doing work for Goodell anymore.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
itzmrgigglez
Junior
And1: 107

Post#117 » by itzmrgigglez » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:22 pm

OrlandoDream wrote:
baller16 wrote:
OrlandoDream wrote:He has a 17 yo daughter. Really think he had her at 10? From what I've seen this year I'd say he is 31-32.

His daughter is 10

Must have filed the same paperwork.

Guess y'all can't do research

https://www.google.com/amp/uproxx.com/dimemag/serge-ibaka-daughter-reunite-congo/amp/

Return to The General Board