Stein: Pistons/Magic discussing RJax trade

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Re: Stein: Pistons/Magic discussing RJax trade 

Post#41 » by jason bourne » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:01 pm

I think it's a good deal for the Pistons while the Magic dig themselves into a deeper hole. The people complaining think Reggie Jackson is a big wheel, but he's a way overpaid backup PG who can score and a black hole if you ask me. Van Gundy dealt DJ Augustin, Kyle Singler and two second round picks to get him, so it's worth a salary dump.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
Carlos_Danger
Junior
And1: 623

Post#42 » by Carlos_Danger » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:02 pm

Getting Reggie Jackson for DJ and Green is certainly a net gain in value when viewed in isolation, but acquiring Reggie Jackson makes no sense for Orlando.

Of course neither did the trade for a short-term rental of Ibaka.

WTF are they doing?

They have some young players/assets. They are in NO position to win in the short term immediate future. Continue to develop your young players, and add as many more assets as you can. Do not trade for a $16-$18 million per year over the next 3 years PG and pay that much for a back-up OR take away minutes/development from Payton.
EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Post#43 » by EAS Law » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:03 pm

bondom34 wrote:
EAS Law wrote:It's fashionable to assume this is a bad trade for the Magic somehow. Make sure to bash this move as much as possible guys. As soon as Jeff Green and Augustine are moved, we can pretend they're great players again.

Really? Haven't read the thread much yet but this is fantastic for them. And I'm not a fan of Reggie at all. They're giving up junk for him.

I was almost assuming this was some quid pro quo for the ultimately one-sided Harris deal.

I understand Jackson is hurt, but like you said, it's exchanging an expiring for a player that was once arguably an all-star who has been dealing with tendinitis.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,871

Post#44 » by MotownMadness » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:03 pm

JAY DASH wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
gusman wrote:As a detroit fan I love this. What's greens contract

Expiring this summer. Youd be paying DJ 7.25 a year for the next 3 years and hes basically become an end of the bench type player, you dont want him getting minutes on your team. Hes a horrible defender and shooting 39/36/77 and isnt really a facilitator either. His contract is crippling to a franchise but it is still a horrible contract.

I think Stan just likes DJ and knows Reggie's worn out his welcome with his teammates. As someone said earlier, DJ was great in SVG's system when Jennings got hurt.

35pts. 8 assists
19pts. 9 assists
25pts. 13 assists
22pts. 11 assists
20pts. 8 assists
18pts. 5 assists
22pts. 6 assists

Had 2 clunkers during that stretch as well, but it's not surprising that SVG would want him back all while dumping salary and a bad attitude. SVG loves scoring PG's. There's nothing crippling about a 7 million dollar contract. As a Magic fan I just want Stanley Johnson thrown in if I'm eating that contract and taking on the risk of being stuck with it.

No way we just throw Stanley Johnson in. He's struggled but he's so young and already a good defender.
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,279

Post#45 » by Black Jack » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:15 pm

I feel like Ron Jeremy is getting a free pass here. He's not doing a great job.
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
DaKnicksAreBack
Analyst
And1: 1,785

Post#46 » by DaKnicksAreBack » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:19 pm

Black Jack wrote:I feel like Ron Jeremy is getting a free pass here. He's not doing a great job.

Agreed. Everyone was so quick to hop on his nuts before and now no one is saying anything
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#47 » by Han Solo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:28 pm

Black Jack wrote:I feel like Ron Jeremy is getting a free pass here. He's not doing a great job.

He's done a good job of acquiring talent considering what we had when he got here. But as a coach, I've been disappointed with him. Not ready to "give up" on him either though. I think he'll get through this year. I also think we challenge for a 6th seed before this season is over. Not because we're good by any means. But because the East is weak this year and the rest of our schedule looks great for us.
JAY DASH
Pro Prospect
And1: 455

Post#48 » by JAY DASH » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:38 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
JAY DASH wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Expiring this summer. Youd be paying DJ 7.25 a year for the next 3 years and hes basically become an end of the bench type player, you dont want him getting minutes on your team. Hes a horrible defender and shooting 39/36/77 and isnt really a facilitator either. His contract is crippling to a franchise but it is still a horrible contract.

I think Stan just likes DJ and knows Reggie's worn out his welcome with his teammates. As someone said earlier, DJ was great in SVG's system when Jennings got hurt.

35pts. 8 assists
19pts. 9 assists
25pts. 13 assists
22pts. 11 assists
20pts. 8 assists
18pts. 5 assists
22pts. 6 assists

Had 2 clunkers during that stretch as well, but it's not surprising that SVG would want him back all while dumping salary and a bad attitude. SVG loves scoring PG's. There's nothing crippling about a 7 million dollar contract. As a Magic fan I just want Stanley Johnson thrown in if I'm eating that contract and taking on the risk of being stuck with it.

No way we just throw Stanley Johnson in. He's struggled but he's so young and already a good defender.

That's fair. Trade won't work unless Detroit throws in another salary though...not many options to choose from unless a third team gets involved. Our GM would probably be dumb enough to take someone like Bullock. If I'm Henny I'm thinking I may be the only team in the league willing to take on that salary right now, so I'm asking for Stanley. For once we aren't in a position where we HAVE to make a deal. Fanbase is perfectly fine with tanking the rest of the year and getting a Top 3-4 pick.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,871

Post#49 » by MotownMadness » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:44 pm

JAY DASH wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
JAY DASH wrote:

35pts. 8 assists
19pts. 9 assists
25pts. 13 assists
22pts. 11 assists
20pts. 8 assists
18pts. 5 assists
22pts. 6 assists

That's fair. Trade won't work unless Detroit throws in another salary though...not many options to choose from unless a third team gets involved. Our GM would probably be dumb enough to take someone like Bullock. If I'm Henny I'm thinking I may be the only team in the league willing to take on that salary right now, so I'm asking for Stanley. For once we aren't in a position where we HAVE to make a deal. Fanbase is perfectly fine with tanking the rest of the year and getting a Top 3-4 pick.

Bullock would make sense to fill out the trade and he's a expiring so it wouldn't really be stupid to include him. I actually think Bullock can still be a solid 3&D player if given the chance though.
JAY DASH
Pro Prospect

Post#50 » by JAY DASH » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:52 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
JAY DASH wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:No way we just throw Stanley Johnson in. He's struggled but he's so young and already a good defender.

Bullock would make sense to fill out the trade and he's a expiring so it wouldn't really be stupid to include him. I actually think Bullock can still be a solid 3&D player if given the chance though.

Ehh..we just got Ross. Bullock would be gone at the end of the year. Then we're left with hoping Reggie's not as hurt as it seems he is at 17 mil/yr. Would rather have another asset as insurance. Not saying Stan would pull the trigger, but if I was Orlando's GM that would be the only way I take that cap hit. If Stan says no we can just draft a PG with one of the Top 3 picks.

With that said, the way our GM negotiates, I'd expect him to take Bullock.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#51 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:20 pm

JAY DASH wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
gusman wrote:As a detroit fan I love this. What's greens contract

I think Stan just likes DJ and knows Reggie's worn out his welcome with his teammates.

Zach Lowe reports on a close door meeting that happen in December and since then there has been no reports of frustration with RJ, yet RJ has "worn out his welcome"? Having watched the Pistons every game, there is no indication that the team is tuning RJ out but rather RJ's injury is clearly hampering his ability to attack and score in transition. While i get its easy to refer to the OKC situation, its not comparable at all to his situation in Detroit.

35pts. 8 assists
19pts. 9 assists
25pts. 13 assists
22pts. 11 assists
20pts. 8 assists
18pts. 5 assists
22pts. 6 assists

Yet SVG made the trade for RJ shortly after DJ had those games. He had a nice stretch but DJ really isn't a starting caliber PG when forced into that role. This trade makes very little sense in that DJ isn't that much better than Beno, Jeff Green is another forward on a team full of forwards, and RJ's contract isn't crippling in this new era of contracts.

There really isn't any basis in which this trade makes sense for Detroit, and the whole "bad attitude" argument is about 2 months too late. I do think Hez is involved as SVG was high on him during the draft, but if Orl wants johnson included its a instant no go
nbafan341
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,148

Post#52 » by nbafan341 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:22 pm

Reggie jackson is so bad. Pistons would be mich better with ish smith
JAY DASH
Pro Prospect

Post#53 » by JAY DASH » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:26 pm

Blkbrd671 wrote:
JAY DASH wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

I think Stan just likes DJ and knows Reggie's worn out his welcome with his teammates.

Zach Lowe reports on a close door meeting that happen in December and since then there has been no reports of frustration with RJ, yet RJ has "worn out his welcome"? Having watched the Pistons every game, there is no indication that the team is tuning RJ out but rather RJ's injury is clearly hampering his ability to attack and score in transition. While i get its easy to refer to the OKC situation, its not comparable at all to his situation in Detroit.

35pts. 8 assists
19pts. 9 assists
25pts. 13 assists
22pts. 11 assists
20pts. 8 assists
18pts. 5 assists
22pts. 6 assists

Yet SVG made the trade for RJ shortly after DJ had those games. He had a nice stretch but DJ really isn't a starting caliber PG when forced into that role. This trade makes very little sense in that DJ isn't that much better than Beno, Jeff Green is another forward on a team full of forwards, and RJ's contract isn't crippling in this new era of contracts.

There really isn't any basis in which this trade makes sense for Detroit, and the whole "bad attitude" argument is about 2 months too late. I do think Hez is involved as SVG was high on him during the draft, but if Orl wants johnson included its a instant no go

I mean trading for Reggie definitely made sense. Nobody knew what his ceiling was at the time. Was one of the most highly coveted young 6th men in the league so despite DJ's hot stretch as a starter, it was a no-brainer to pull the trigger. As far as his contract...if his leg is an issue, it puts us at 2 long term contracts that may be hard to unload (Biyombo being the 2nd one). Jeff Green's just there to match salary...DJ and Beno are two totally different type of PG's.
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,151

Post#54 » by marcush » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:29 pm

That's really selling low on RJ.....it doesn't even look like a full salary dump.

I get that the knee might be a concern but I would have thought they would wait it out and see what an offseason does. If still no good then dump him then. Now it seems they have really played their hand too early.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,162

Post#55 » by ElectricMayhem » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:34 pm

If this trade goes through, it means the Pistons just completed a trade 2 years in the making of Kyle Singler for Jeff Green.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#56 » by OrlandoDream » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:35 pm

Blkbrd671 wrote:
JAY DASH wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Orlando won't trade Mario w/o getting another young player or 1st round in return. What has Stanley Johnson done that makes him more valuable then mario? Did he too get cut from the rotation earlier in the year?

Btw, I personally don't want to trade Mario but see why he interest Stan. Stanley Johnson is a better defender then mario and mario is the better shooter. Its a trade about salary dump and fit.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#57 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:54 pm

JAY DASH wrote:
I mean trading for Reggie definitely made sense. Nobody knew what his ceiling was at the time. Was one of the most highly coveted young 6th men in the league so despite DJ's hot stretch as a starter, it was a no-brainer to pull the trigger. As far as his contract...if his leg is an issue, it puts us at 2 long term contracts that may be hard to unload (Biyombo being the 2nd one). Jeff Green's just there to match salary...DJ and Beno are two totally different type of PG's.

honestly the only way this makes any sense is that RJ's knee is a lot bigger issue that originally thought as he only shown glimpses of the player he was last year. If that is the case, i can see how we'd take less value, but at that why would Orlando do it??

As far as DJ vs Beno, my point is that any improvement, if at all, is not "leaps and bounds" better. Logically the only thing that makes any sense is that this is only part of the trade. Though how reliable is marc stein's reporting? I am waiting for Adrian to report
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#58 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:04 am

OrlandoDream wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:
JAY DASH wrote:

Orlando won't trade Mario w/o getting another young player or 1st round in return. What has Stanley Johnson done that makes him more valuable then mario? Did he too get cut from the rotation earlier in the year?

i didn't say he's more valuable than Hez, just that i don't think SVG is just going to dump our franchise pg and not get any value, if his trades are any indication of the value needed for him to pull the trigger.

Btw, I personally don't want to trade Mario but see why he interest Stan. Stanley Johnson is a better defender then mario and mario is the better shooter. Its a trade about salary dump and fit.

except that Detroits main problem is..................defense. Mario's shooting , while attractive, doesn't solve our problems. I could see a 2018 first being included, but i still don't think DJ+Green for RJ is going to entice svg
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#59 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:08 am

Kevistics wrote:Reggie jackson is so bad. Pistons would be mich better with ish smith

The biggest frustration we have as fans is that RJ still gets the seperation that made him so appealing but lacks the legs to finish the play like he did last season. SVG continues to trot RJ out there despite the fact he's clearly still recovering from his knee injury. As the game goes on you can see him begin limping more and more.

Idk if its ego or SVG with his head up his butt, but for the longest time our board has been debating that SVG should just have RJ come off the bench until he fully recover.
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#60 » by OrlandoDream » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:08 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:
OrlandoDream wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:

i didn't say he's more valuable than Hez, just that i don't think SVG is just going to dump our franchise pg and not get any value, if his trades are any indication of the value needed for him to pull the trigger.

except that Detroits main problem is..................defense. Mario's shooting , while attractive, doesn't solve our problems. I could see a 2018 first being included, but i still don't think DJ+Green for RJ is going to entice svg

Huh, thats surprising considering Stans teams are defensive minded ones. Weren't the Pistons like top 5 defense at some point this year? But yeah if defense is the problem, mario is going to make you worse and your better off with Stanley. I like the kid but he is not a good defender. He has been trying harder but is far away from defending other 3s.

Return to The General Board