Stein: Pistons/Magic discussing RJax trade

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Re: Stein: Pistons/Magic discussing RJax trade 

Post#61 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:12 am

OrlandoDream wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:
OrlandoDream wrote:
Orlando won't trade Mario w/o getting another young player or 1st round in return. What has Stanley Johnson done that makes him more valuable then mario? Did he too get cut from the rotation earlier in the year?

i didn't say he's more valuable than Hez, just that i don't think SVG is just going to dump our franchise pg and not get any value, if his trades are any indication of the value needed for him to pull the trigger.

Btw, I personally don't want to trade Mario but see why he interest Stan. Stanley Johnson is a better defender then mario and mario is the better shooter. Its a trade about salary dump and fit.

except that Detroits main problem is..................defense. Mario's shooting , while attractive, doesn't solve our problems. I could see a 2018 first being included, but i still don't think DJ+Green for RJ is going to entice svg

Huh, thats surprising considering Stans teams are defensive minded ones. Weren't the Pistons like top 5 defense at some point this year? But yeah if defense is the problem, mario is going to make you worse and your better off with Stanley. I like the kid but he is not a good defender. He has been trying harder but is far away from defending other 3s.

since RJ's return , our defense has fallen off. A large part of that is RJ still limping around. As i mentioned in the other comment, our biggest frustration is that SVG i acting like RJ isn't playing with a limp and/or the same burst last year. Even last game our broadcasters alluded to the fact that RJ looked like he had his burst back. Which we only saw in spurts this year.
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#62 » by OrlandoDream » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:16 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:
OrlandoDream wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:
i didn't say he's more valuable than Hez, just that i don't think SVG is just going to dump our franchise pg and not get any value, if his trades are any indication of the value needed for him to pull the trigger.

except that Detroits main problem is..................defense. Mario's shooting , while attractive, doesn't solve our problems. I could see a 2018 first being included, but i still don't think DJ+Green for RJ is going to entice svg

Huh, thats surprising considering Stans teams are defensive minded ones. Weren't the Pistons like top 5 defense at some point this year? But yeah if defense is the problem, mario is going to make you worse and your better off with Stanley. I like the kid but he is not a good defender. He has been trying harder but is far away from defending other 3s.

since RJ's return , our defense has fallen off. A large part of that is RJ still limping around. As i mentioned in the other comment, our biggest frustration is that SVG i acting like RJ isn't playing with a limp and/or the same burst last year. Even last game our broadcasters alluded to the fact that RJ looked like he had his burst back. Which we only saw in spurts this year.
He should have just sat out and waited til he is back 100%. No point in making the injury worse and risking long term consequences. But I know how important he is to the team when healthy. But busted up like this is just hurting his health and the team. Maybe thats why SVG wants to trade him? Wants to win now and cant wait for a full recovery.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#63 » by j-ragg » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:34 am

I'd feel much better about this if we let Reggie take the rest of the season off for his knee or something, if the deal were done.

If we went from the 4th pick to the 10th pick in the draft it would be very Magic of us so maybe it's meant to be.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#64 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:36 am

OrlandoDream wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:
OrlandoDream wrote:Huh, thats surprising considering Stans teams are defensive minded ones. Weren't the Pistons like top 5 defense at some point this year? But yeah if defense is the problem, mario is going to make you worse and your better off with Stanley. I like the kid but he is not a good defender. He has been trying harder but is far away from defending other 3s.

He should have just sat out and waited til he is back 100%. No point in making the injury worse and risking long term consequences. But I know how important he is to the team when healthy. But busted up like this is just hurting his health and the team. Maybe thats why SVG wants to trade him? Wants to win now and cant wait for a full recovery.

we are in year 3 of his 5 year plan, so in theory that shouldn't be the case
OptionZero
Starter
And1: 1,828

Post#65 » by OptionZero » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:37 am

EAS Law wrote:
OptionZero wrote:
EAS Law wrote:It's fashionable to assume this is a bad trade for the Magic somehow. Make sure to bash this move as much as possible guys. As soon as Jeff Green and Augustine are moved, we can pretend they're great players again.

Orlando fans really don't deserve any pity.

Well that's fine considering pity has nothing to do with the thought you quoted. It's more about how idiot armchair GMs are twisting themselves up to make the argument that Green or Augustine are good players or that this trade is somehow a bad trade for the Magic.

Are you kidding me? They're taking long term money on, roughly $17M/yr for three more years after this one. It's laughable that you're justifying this by referring to him as a "near-all star coming off injury"

Detroit is a team that actually needs a PG upgrade and they're trading away their PG - you don't think that says everything? Dude's been a problem in two different locker rooms, he has knee problems, and he already couldn't shoot nearly enough to space the floor for a modern NBA offense.

Somehow locking into that contract is a good thing?

ORL desperately needed to ditch long term money and add shooting; this trade did the opposite of all those things.

ORL's already destined for a high lotto pick that should be used on a PG, there was absolutely no reason to eat Jackson's contract unless DET is sending a pick their way (not reported)

It's pathetic to see so many fans still stanning for Rob Henningan. A move like this is a misguided attempt at a short-term bandaid, and even then it's a risky move with considerable downside. ORL fans gotta be totally desperate for immediate help and ignorant of Jackson (and their own team's) situation to back this trade.
OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,098

Post#66 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:40 am

Anybody who thinks this is bad for the Pistons is probably wrong. Ish Smith is more than capable of starting in the NBA. D.J. is a great back up and the Pistons are simply better without Reggie Jackson. Marcus Morris, Jon Leur, and Tobias Harris all suffer with RJ on the court.
Kobe>Jordan>God
Analyst
And1: 872

Post#67 » by Kobe>Jordan>God » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:57 am

Marc Stein trade doesn't work in trade machine

There's another version of this trade according to this site:
http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2017/2/17/14652594/nba-trade-rumors-pistons-magic-lakers-lou-williams-reggie-jackson-dj-augustin

"2 versions: Either Lou Williams & Hezonja coming here. Hilliard RJax to Magic. Augustine and protected 17 to LAL

Or....adding in Elfrid Payton to Det and a protected #1 in 18 to Magic along w Beno, Bullock and a future 2 pick to Magic.

Detroit's first if Payton is involved… Orlando's first if he is not involved"
ImageImage
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#68 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:40 am

OrangeBlueSkies wrote:Anybody who thinks this is bad for the Pistons is probably wrong. Ish Smith is more than capable of starting in the NBA. D.J. is a great back up and the Pistons are simply better without Reggie Jackson. Marcus Morris, Jon Leur, and Tobias Harris all suffer with RJ on the court.

they sure as hell ain't going to be any better with DJ running point. Fact is RJ is still injured, so the question becomes are we willing to wait for him to be healthy or are we trying to contend this year. (thats rhetorical) As been repeated, dumping RJ for cap space makes little to no sense as when he's healthy, our team becomes quite dynamic not to mention how clutch RJ was last season. If there was value coming back, its one thing, but examining the current situation , Orlando wouldn't want a unhealthy pg and Detroit does not need to dump his contract.
OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,098

Post#69 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:48 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:
OrangeBlueSkies wrote:Anybody who thinks this is bad for the Pistons is probably wrong. Ish Smith is more than capable of starting in the NBA. D.J. is a great back up and the Pistons are simply better without Reggie Jackson. Marcus Morris, Jon Leur, and Tobias Harris all suffer with RJ on the court.

they sure as hell ain't going to be any better with DJ running point. Fact is RJ is still injured, so the question becomes are we willing to wait for him to be healthy or are we trying to contend this year. (thats rhetorical) As been repeated, dumping RJ for cap space makes little to no sense as when he's healthy, our team becomes quite dynamic not to mention how clutch RJ was last season. If there was value coming back, its one thing, but examining the current situation , Orlando wouldn't want a unhealthy pg and Detroit does not need to dump his contract.

Well DJ would be a back up to Ish Smith. The Pistons played really well early on with Ish Smith, and trading Reggie NOW saves you guys a headache and not flexability to add to your roster later on.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#70 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:11 am

OrangeBlueSkies wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:

Well DJ would be a back up to Ish Smith. The Pistons played really well early on with Ish Smith, and trading Reggie NOW saves you guys a headache and not flexability to add to your roster later on.

We have Beno to back up Ish, and as i mentioned earlier, there's not "that much of a improvement", if any, from Beno to DJ. and this notion of RJ being a headache is really reaching, other than a close door meeting that happen in december, we haven't seen any indication of lockeroom concerns, and in fact our team is pretty open with each other. Hence players only meeting. Furthermore in this new era of contracts, the amount of cap space that would open up from dumping RJ's contract wouldn't allow us to sign any player with as much upside.

Logically trading RJ would only make sense if we are getting good value back and that is not this trade. Letting him heal and come back to form would be much more logical.
DTP
General Manager
And1: 6,765

Post#71 » by DTP » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:23 am

If you guys reaaaaaally think this team will ever win a playoff series with Ish Smith & Beno Udrih as the point guard combo.....
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#72 » by Fresh360Waves » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:17 am

bigpimpatl wrote:Unless RJ's knee is worse than what's known, this is a horrible deal for the Pistons. You'd basically have two guys in Ish Smith and DJ Augustin who are best served as backups.

If I'm the Magic I'd take it and run

Unless SVG has something else up his sleeve
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#73 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:54 am

Fresh360Waves wrote:
bigpimpatl wrote:Unless RJ's knee is worse than what's known, this is a horrible deal for the Pistons. You'd basically have two guys in Ish Smith and DJ Augustin who are best served as backups.

If I'm the Magic I'd take it and run

Unless SVG has something else up his sleeve

like telling them its the right knee when its the left

Return to The General Board