Defensive Metrics Need To Get Better:

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

mdonnelly1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,324

Defensive Metrics Need To Get Better: 

Post#1 » by mdonnelly1989 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:08 pm

When it comes to MVP and the best player in the league I think the biggest difference between getting it right is defense.

When you look purely from offensive standpoint this season you can see a major difference offensively between guys like James Harden and Russell and Lebron.

They are clearly better from eye test and metrics. However, I don't think we truly know the difference defensively between a guy Lebron and Westbrook or Lebron or James Harden. We know that for sure LBJ is better defensively but we can not PINPOINT the difference.

If we could get a better idea off how defense is in vacuum with much much better defensive metrics and a dedicated team to analyzing defense from these NBA Players. Of course with all numbers and metrics numbers don't tell the whole story because of the millions of other factors, but I think it could help us get a better idea as the PURE VALUE which is offense AND defense as to who really is the MVP of the league.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Re: Defensive Metrics Need To Get Better: 

Post#2 » by jonjames » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:16 pm

Defense does not matter when it comes to the MVP. Example look at Steve Nash and Stephen Curry

Offense is more important than defense when it comes to ranking individual players. Paul George is a better two way player than Curry and Harden but no one would rate him as the better player.
Wraps_fan
Analyst
And1: 5,735

Re: Defensive Metrics Need To Get Better: 

Post#3 » by Wraps_fan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:17 pm

Defensive metrics will never tell the whole story, it's way harder to measure than offense

Return to The General Board