Just because Kings made a bad trade doesn't make Cousins a true star

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

GermanFan120
Analyst
And1: 1,068

Just because Kings made a bad trade doesn't make Cousins a true star 

Post#1 » by GermanFan120 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:09 pm

People are overreacting on how little Kings received from this trade, the truth is the Kings organization knows more than everyone else about Cousins that he is not viewed as a true star and he will not be. Yes Cousins has good numbers and given the fact that there are not many good center in the league nowadays, he becomes the so called "best center" in the league.

AD is a good player, but he is a glass man.
Cousins is a good player in a bad team, but he has a hot head and bad attitude.

Building around this core will not give you any success imho. This is not 2k basketball, this is real life. Certain players just don't have enough to be the true franchise player.

Does that make the trade for Kings an ok trade? No. Does that make Kings better off of moving forward without a headache? I think so.
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.
thierry
Lead Assistant
And1: 649

Re: Just because Kings made a bad trade doesn't make Cousins a true star 

Post#2 » by thierry » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:12 pm

Cousins carried Kings to wins against CLE and GSW. If you watched those games you know he is a true star.
ThumbsUpBaby
Head Coach
And1: 10,824

Post#3 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:12 pm

"there are not many good center in the league nowadays"
Yeah I don't know if I should take this post seriously.

Actually, claiming that Cousins isn't a "true star" just based off the title is laughable.
laploutocratie
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,273

Post#4 » by laploutocratie » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:13 pm

Just because you have a bad attitude does not make you not a star.
☘ x XVII

6ixth_Man wrote:When I die, I want the Raptors to lower me into my grave, so they can let me down one last time
GermanFan120
Analyst

Post#5 » by GermanFan120 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:13 pm

thierry wrote:Cousins carried Kings to wins against CLE and GSW. If you watched those games you know he is a true star.

I can name few games Cousins failed to carry the Kings to beat teams he was supposed to beat too.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#6 » by bondom34 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:15 pm

Sorry, he's a star.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#7 » by Kabookalu » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:15 pm

They may know more about Cousins than all of us combined, but this is the same organization that drafted Nik Stauskas even after hiring a bunch of experts that congregated together and told them they should pick someone else besides Nik Stauskas and fired a perfectly good coach because he didn't employ the style of play the owner wanted. I'm not even going to get into all the terrible trades and draft choices they made, because the first two is a different level of incompetency.

So whatever opinion they have of Cousins, I'm not talking it too seriously.
Read on Twitter
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#8 » by RaptorsLife » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:15 pm

he is only getting better. he is a great player. i remember last year he had 48pts and 56pts back to back. histroic. dude got wins over the cavs and warriors
Raptors til death
laploutocratie
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,273

Post#9 » by laploutocratie » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:15 pm

GermanFan120 wrote:
thierry wrote:Cousins carried Kings to wins against CLE and GSW. If you watched those games you know he is a true star.

I can name few games Cousins failed to carry the Kings to beat teams he was supposed to beat too.

I can name few games LeBron James lost against poor teams too. Does that make him a role player?
☘ x XVII

6ixth_Man wrote:When I die, I want the Raptors to lower me into my grave, so they can let me down one last time
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,105

Post#10 » by heatwillbeback » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:15 pm

Cousins on the court is a star.

However, there is a chance he is suspended once every five games or so moving forward (gets a game every tech). This is unacceptable and needs to be corrected by him to be a truly elite player you can count on.

Edit- and this is on him, no ref blaming. His temper is horrible.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#11 » by The_Hater » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:18 pm

If people honestly think the Kings 30-something win seasons were The fault of Cousins, wait until they see how bad the team they put on the floor is now. This group is gong to make Brooklyn look like a playoff roster.

Cousins isn't perfect but the non stop ineptness of the roster decisions they've made since he was drafted is head shaking. Remember that they let Isiah Thomas walk without even offering him a contract.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
GermanFan120
Analyst

Post#12 » by GermanFan120 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:18 pm

laploutocratie wrote:
GermanFan120 wrote:

I can name few games LeBron James lost against poor teams too. Does that make him a role player?

I didn't say Cousins is a role player. Cousins is not going to make Pelicans a good team in the playoffs (unless they get someone else to join them)
Walmart
Starter
And1: 1,318

Post#13 » by Walmart » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:20 pm

If Cousins is a star than so is Kevin Love as both those guys couldn't win more than 40 games on their own.
GermanFan120
Analyst

Post#14 » by GermanFan120 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:20 pm

heatwillbeback wrote:Cousins on the court is a star.

However, there is a chance he is suspended once every five games or so moving forward (gets a game every tech). This is unacceptable and needs to be corrected by him to be a truly elite player you can count on.

Edit- and this is on him, no ref blaming. His temper is horrible.

And this is what people fail to acknowledge. Remember back then when people talk about Dwight having too much fun on the court and Dwight said that is his style? Look at what his style does to him now.
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,962

Post#15 » by Phreak50 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:22 pm

And the hundreds of other losses?
PDX MM
Veteran
And1: 959

Post#16 » by PDX MM » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:30 pm

The term "star" is so overused in today's age and not just basketball or even sports.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#17 » by Winsome Gerbil » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:30 pm

Walmart wrote:If Cousins is a star than so is Kevin Love as both those guys couldn't win more than 40 games on their own.

And neither could all but a handful of other players in NBA history with those rosters.

People are dumb.

"Star" isn't some magical designation that lets you take the floor with the Southwest Boise State girl's intramural champs and make them into an NBA playoff team.

If your underlying team is terrible enough, you can be as great a star as you want and still not win. You can be Kobe great. KG great. Hakeem great. Moses great. Steph great. Doesn't matter. If you have no help and are trapped in a dumpster fire, you can make your team competitive, but you aren't going to make them winners.

And now, on the other hand, all of a sudden both those "fake stars" A.D. and Cousins are suddenly, magically of course, going to turn into these big winners. But of course it won't be because they suddenly have talent next to them. No, who would believe that explanation?
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#18 » by Winsome Gerbil » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:34 pm

Phreak50 wrote:

And the hundreds of other losses?

John Salmons. Beno Udrih. Ben McLemore. Jason Thompson. Derrick Williams. Anthony Tolliver. Aaron Gray. Nik Stauskas. Ray McCallum. Etc. Etc. ETC.

give me a break
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,683

Post#19 » by Johnny Firpo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:37 pm

bondom34 wrote:Sorry, he's a star.

Has he ever consistently performed like a star? I guess it depends on your definition of a star.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,231

Post#20 » by monopoman » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:38 pm

Winsome Gerbil wrote:
Walmart wrote:If Cousins is a star than so is Kevin Love as both those guys couldn't win more than 40 games on their own.

And neither could all but a handful of other players in NBA history with those rosters.

People are dumb.

"Star" isn't some magical designation that lets you take the floor with the Southwest Boise State girl's intramural champs and make them into an NBA playoff team.

If your underlying team is terrible enough, you can be as great a star as you want and still not win. You can be Kobe great. KG great. Hakeem great. Moses great. Steph great. Doesn't matter. If you have no help and are trapped in a dumpster fire, you can make your team competitive, but you aren't going to make them winners.

And now, on the other hand, all of a sudden both those "fake stars" A.D. and Cousins are suddenly, magically of course, going to turn into these big winners. But of course it won't be because they suddenly have talent next to them. No, who would believe that explanation?

This is all true, In no other sports are great players asked to carry a team to the playoffs. While Basketball does allow a great player to have a huge impact in a game compared to most other sports, you still need some talent around that player to win games. Look at the Kings, every move they made when drafting/trading in the entire time Cousins was there were pretty damn bad. It's pretty obvious why Cousins wasn't winning 50 games a season, if you examine the rosters he had to work with.

Return to The General Board