Alvin Gentry is PERFECT for Cousins.

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,487

Alvin Gentry is PERFECT for Cousins. 

Post#1 » by OkcSinceSGA » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:25 pm

Mark my words boys and girls. Alvin Gentry is going to do for DeMarcus Cousins what Mike D'Antoni did for Harden this year. Which is... get his head on straight and playing the right way. Gentry is a mediocre defensive coach and has bad rotations. But he's one of the most likable coaches ever and has been phenomenal at connecting with young players. On top of that he's a great offensive strategist when he has the pieces.

This is going to be one exciting team.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
GermanFan120
Analyst
And1: 1,066

Re: Alvin Gentry is PERFECT for Cousins. 

Post#2 » by GermanFan120 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:27 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:Mark my words boys and girls. Alvin Gentry is going to do for DeMarcus Cousins what Mike D'Antoni did for Harden this year. Which is... get his head on straight and playing the right way. Gentry is a mediocre defensive coach and has bad rotations. But he's one of the most likable coaches ever and has been phenomenal at connecting with young players. On top of that he's a great offensive strategist when he has the pieces.

Houston will never win with Harden if he is their number 1 option.
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.
ItsThatEasy
Analyst
And1: 5,031

Post#3 » by ItsThatEasy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:40 pm

Ran into him in New Orleans this weekend and I can't lie he seemed like a very genuine guy, I could certainly see him getting along with Boogie.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#4 » by OkcSinceSGA » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:48 pm

ItsThatEasy wrote:Ran into him in New Orleans this weekend and I can't lie he seemed like a very genuine guy, I could certainly see him getting along with Boogie.

Like I said his rotations can be frustrating but he's one of the most universally liked coaches in the league. He has pretty hilarious stories that are legend among NBA circles. Like the time Shaq was on the Suns and bet him he couldn't dunk (he ended up missing by a foot and falling on his ass in front of all the players). He's extremely down to earth.

ItsThatEasy
Analyst

Post#5 » by ItsThatEasy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:52 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
ItsThatEasy wrote:Ran into him in New Orleans this weekend and I can't lie he seemed like a very genuine guy, I could certainly see him getting along with Boogie.

Like I said his rotations can be frustrating but he's one of the most universally liked coaches in the league. He has pretty hilarious stories that are legend among NBA circles. Like the time Shaq was on the Suns and bet him he couldn't dunk (he ended up missing by a foot and falling on his ass in front of all the players). He's extremely down to earth.

100% agree on being down to earth, which is extremely important to Boogie.

When I met him he was on Canal St just watching the parade like everybody else, no special section, no security. My so called NBA fan friends didn't even know who he was at first.

Boogie seems to take pride in doing things from your heart and not being Hollywood so I like the fit.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,077

Post#6 » by jbk1234 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:55 pm

I think Boogie needs an old-school coach like Lionel Hollins or Paul Silas.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#7 » by OkcSinceSGA » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:56 pm

ItsThatEasy wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:

100% agree on being down to earth, which is extremely important to Boogie.

When I met him he was on Canal St just watching the parade like everybody else, no special section, no security. My so called NBA fan friends didn't even know who he was at first.

Boogie seems to take pride in doing things from your heart and not being Hollywood so I like the fit.

He will be great for the Pelicans. People don't realize the Kings= the Clippers of past decades. Cancerous levels of dysfunction. Taking Boogie out of that and putting him with humble, team first, class act leaders like Davis and Holiday will do wonders for him. Davis is a quiet guy who wants to win. He's not going to fight Cousins over who's team it is. Nevermind that they've been friends for years. They have a chance to be one of the most dominant duos of all time. I'm happy for New Orleans and Davis.

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#8 » by OkcSinceSGA » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:57 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I think Boogie needs an old-school coach like Lionel Hollins or Paul Silas.

Eh it would work for a while but look how it worked with George Karl long term. If I was running that team I wouldn't risk it.

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by jbk1234 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:00 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I think Boogie needs an old-school coach like Lionel Hollins or Paul Silas.

Eh it would work for a while but look how it worked with George Karl long term. If I was running that team I wouldn't risk it.

Well Karl just wanted Boogie gone which is different from a coach who will sit Boogie down when he does stupid things.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
ItsThatEasy
Analyst

Post#10 » by ItsThatEasy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:03 pm

I'm inclined to agree with this to an extent.

I really think the main thing for Boogie is respect and authenticity.

There's two sides to the coin here, because there's mild mannered guys who convey respect and don't play politics (Pop/Rick Carlisle) and there's old school tough guys who play into politics and don't show immediate respect to guys (Byron Scott).
Birth of the Cool
Analyst
And1: 1,446

Post#11 » by Birth of the Cool » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:14 pm

ItsThatEasy wrote:

I'm inclined to agree with this to an extent.

I really think the main thing for Boogie is respect and authenticity.

There's two sides to the coin here, because there's mild mannered guys who convey respect and don't play politics (Pop/Rick Carlisle) and there's old school tough guys who play into politics and don't show immediate respect to guys (Byron Scott).

Well I would never characterize either Pop or Carlisle as "mild mannered guys". I think both have an old school philosophy that you listen to the coach and play for the team and you are on their good side but neither guy has any problems tearing into their Franchise Player or the 15th man.

Anyways this idea that this Coach or that Coach is good for Cousins I think is a bit of a stretch. Outside of Karl I don't think Cousins has had a really bad relationship with a Coach...his problem is no matter who the Coach is he is a hot head, overly emotional, will do the D-Wade complain on a "missed" foul while leaving his teammates in the lurch on Defense, etc...It's a Cousins problem. Cousins becomes much more coachable if he puts his head down and goes to work instead of all the extracurricular things he does - but sometimes you are what you are. Rasheed Wallace to this day I'm sure talks trash at the senior league he plays on, Oakley is still a hothead, Rodman is still a weirdo, and Fisher will still try to sleep with your wife....some guys are just who they are and that's part of the deal you take when you accept their talent.

This idea that Cousins only acts the way he does because he only respects authenticity is kinda funny and over complicates the dilemma that is Cousins. Hopefully he learns like Atlanta Dwight learned that all the extra stuff just takes away from his game and puts his head down and becomes a professional and everything will fall into place.
KayDee35
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,613

Post#12 » by KayDee35 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:15 pm

Oh no! Demarcus is coming to town.

The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#13 » by The_Hater » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:17 pm

Or George Karl.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#14 » by Ballerhogger » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:21 pm

See what happens. He hasnt signed extentison yet.
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#15 » by SlowPaced » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:25 pm

Nah. He gets along with down to earth, honest but strong characters. Got along very well with Mike Malone and Dave Joerger. Alvin Gentry is a different coach from a basketball standpoint, but personality wise he's in the same vein.

Guys like Hollins are more likely to put on a façade against their players.
Rubio9Guy
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,290

Post#16 » by Rubio9Guy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:26 pm

GermanFan120 wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:Mark my words boys and girls. Alvin Gentry is going to do for DeMarcus Cousins what Mike D'Antoni did for Harden this year. Which is... get his head on straight and playing the right way. Gentry is a mediocre defensive coach and has bad rotations. But he's one of the most likable coaches ever and has been phenomenal at connecting with young players. On top of that he's a great offensive strategist when he has the pieces.

Houston will never win with Harden if he is their number 1 option.

*Checks standings*
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by jbk1234 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:27 pm

SlowPaced wrote:

Nah. He gets along with down to earth, honest but strong characters. Got along very well with Mike Malone and Dave Joerger. Alvin Gentry is a different coach from a basketball standpoint, but personality wise he's in the same vein.

Guys like Hollins are more likely to put a façade against their players.

Read David Aldridge's article.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#18 » by Winsome Gerbil » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:29 pm

No no.

Cousins is about loyalty and trust. But he's also got authority issues. Cousins has connected with straight shooters, but respectful shooters, and guys who make it like family. You try to scream at him or bully him, and you are toast as a coach. But he has connected well with Calipari, and Mike Malone, and Dave Joerger, and Coach K and Thibodeau with Team USA. He actually gets along with more coaches than he doesn't get along with, but berating **** are a non-starter.

I think Pop kind of epitomizes the type of "old school" that might work with Cousins. Because he demands a lot from his players, and yet in the end he's still their friend too. It's still a Spurs family.

I can't opine on Gentry. I have very little respect for him as a coach. But if he's a good man underneath that carries a ton of water with Cousins.

Edit -- i just saw Slow Paced's post above. Beat me to it, but I think he's got the right idea.
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#19 » by SlowPaced » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:30 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
SlowPaced wrote:

Guys like Hollins are more likely to put a façade against their players.

Read David Aldridge's article.

If you mean the 56 quick thoughts article, I didn't see anything on that article that contradicts my point.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#20 » by City of Trees » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:34 pm

Boogie needs a better relationship with the refs, not his coach.

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app

Return to The General Board