Interesting article on Black Players In Utah

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Interesting article on Black Players In Utah 

Post#1 » by LivingLegend » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:43 pm

Fantastic read. Its something honestly Ive wondered for a while how the Jazz always seem to have a bunch of white players on their team and FAs not wanting to go there and it turns out the IS a sort of underlying struggle with them recruiting black players in free agency based on their location and city.

Can any Jazz fans after reading this article give us more insight on black athletes playing in Utah and if the whole 'we dont really have anything to do in Utah for urban culture' thing is real? Is this something that is talked about among Jazz fans often considering your city is 95% white?

http://theundefeated.com/features/how-black-utah-jazz-players-have-embraced-salt-lake-city/
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Re: Black Players In Utah 

Post#2 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:05 pm

Has to be difficult living there as a black young person. Doesn't seem like much culture there or stuff to do. Plus, not many people want to live somewhere where almost everyone looks different then you and don't share the same values.
koogiking
Veteran
And1: 1,080

Post#3 » by koogiking » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:14 pm

Im a so called young black urban youth and personally I think places like Denver, Utah Minnesota etc. are pretty cool. As long as the people are welcoming, accepting. Actually pretty nice, chill low key different.

I think NBA players most importantly want to win and get paid. Being in a small market isnt really that big of a concern, except for a few individuals(Dwight, Melo etc.) NBA players seem to like it. You won't have papparazi up your ass. You can bring your family and friends there to so it's not like its really nothing to do. Night Clubs are overrated. I don't like them And on the road you can always go out anyway if you really want to do that stuff
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager

Post#4 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:18 pm

koogiking wrote:Im a so called young black urban youth and personally I think places like Denver, Utah Minnesota etc. are pretty cool. As long as the people are welcoming, accepting. Actually pretty nice, chill low key different.

I think NBA players most importantly want to win and get paid. Being in a small market isnt really that big of a concern, except for a few individuals(Dwight, Melo etc.) NBA players seem to like it. You won't have papparazi up your ass. You can bring your family and friends there to so it's not like its really nothing to do. Night Clubs are overrated. I don't like them And on the road you can always go out anyway if you really want to do that stuff

It's not all about the night clubs. Black players want to be able to have good food, get a good hair cut, meet new people of a similar backgrounds. A lot of players aren't into the night club scene.
koogiking
Veteran

Post#5 » by koogiking » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:21 pm

Just clicked the article.

This is why I love cities like those. Look at those mountains and the scenery 8-) You don't see that in NYC. Just something new
koogiking
Veteran

Post#6 » by koogiking » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:24 pm

TheKingOfVa360 wrote:
koogiking wrote:Im a so called young black urban youth and personally I think places like Denver, Utah Minnesota etc. are pretty cool. As long as the people are welcoming, accepting. Actually pretty nice, chill low key different.

It's not all about the night clubs. Black players want to be able to have good food, get a good hair cut, meet new people of a similar backgrounds. A lot of players aren't into the night club scene.

Thats True. And I guess even though its cool for the first few months or year, after a while you can get lonely not being around other people who understand you. But still I rather play for a place like Denver than Philly(If all things are the same and my family can be close by in both cities).

Thats also why some people fly out their barbers to their town or travel with them. But you're right, younger rookie players or players with lower salary or players that don't have as tight a relationship with their barbers won't have that luxury. You make good points
pastis
Junior
And1: 84

Post#7 » by pastis » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:25 pm

i dont understand this topic? why dont you make a topic regarding the fact that on everywhere other team there are nearly only blacks?
jptremblay
Rookie
And1: 1,215

Post#8 » by jptremblay » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:25 pm

TheKingOfVa360 wrote:

You know better than to post stuff like this.

-Sammy
When this account gets more "And1"s than posts written ...then my life will be complete. And maybe it will be the right time to hang it up. (Achieved on 2017-2018 season)...but still here.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager

Post#9 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:27 pm

jptremblay wrote:
TheKingOfVa360 wrote:

Isn't any KFC in UTAH?

If you think KFC is good food then you have a lot to learn about food. Just going to assume that was a race related comment.
TurboTitan
Starter
And1: 1,936

Post#10 » by TurboTitan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:28 pm

jptremblay wrote:
TheKingOfVa360 wrote:

Isn't any KFC in UTAH?

really dude?
“We don't see ourselves as All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.” ~SHEED
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Post#11 » by Slava » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:28 pm

jptremblay wrote:
TheKingOfVa360 wrote:

Isn't any KFC in UTAH?

Not cool.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#12 » by Forte IV » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:28 pm

jptremblay wrote:
TheKingOfVa360 wrote:

Isn't any KFC in UTAH?

wow :noway:
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
Joseph17
RealGM
And1: 529

Post#13 » by Joseph17 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:29 pm

I hate topics like this because it puts people into a box and doesn't take into account that everyone is different. I have some black friends that I think would love living in Utah and I have others that wouldn't like it. I'm white and I wouldn't like it because I hate the cold weather and the snow. On the other hand I'm not really into nightlife and I love sight seeing so I would probably like it more than places like New York, Boston, Chicago, etc. Out of all of the cities in the NBA, I would probably like playing in Miami the most and my house would probably be located in the suburbs of Miami.
pastis
Junior
And1: 84

Post#14 » by pastis » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:30 pm

TheKingOfVa360 wrote:

is this ironic? a good haircut for blacks? And you dont think that you can find 8$ barber shops in salt lake city or what? 99% of the black nba players have either a shaved head or a haircut for what you just need a electric razor. In fact not only nba players but 99% of the black men in general. Meet people of a similar background? imagine a white would say that
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,813

Post#15 » by dirkforpres » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:30 pm

jptremblay wrote:
TheKingOfVa360 wrote:

Isn't any KFC in UTAH?

:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:
FIRE JASON KIDD
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#16 » by Winglish » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:37 pm

Many of our fans are sensitive about this and the reputation does haunt us a little bit.

For example: Dwight Howard told his mom this offseason that he had decided to go to Utah and she started crying.

Every player who comes here talks about how well they are treated and how nice everyone is to them. I think the local people go over the top to try to welcome our players.

I have lived in several states. The fact is that Salt Lake City is a BEAUTIFUL, family-friendly place to live.

PROS:
It is clean. The outdoors recreational opportunities are second to none. The economy and business environment is robust with many high paying tech jobs and a business-friendly legislature. We have some of the best looking women outside of California, IMO (seriously). Utah is consistently ranked as one of the healthiest states. Most people here can still afford to buy a home with some elbow room. Some of the lowest crime rates in the nation. Higher education costs are low in comparison with similar quality state schools (U. of Utah medical program, BYU business and law, USU school of education and environmental sciences are all ranked amongst the top in the nation)

CONS:
Very strict alcohol and club laws. The Mormon church flexes its political muscle way too much (Mormons see this as a pro, of course). There can be confusion amongst sexually active people who date a Mormon that expects celibacy until marriage (not to be understated as a reason young NBA players often don't like it here).

Basically the married and attached guys LOVE it here and the single guys looking to party often have to look a little harder in Utah to find those opportunities than in other states.
chrismikayla
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,907

Re: RE: Re: Black Players In Utah 

Post#17 » by chrismikayla » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:39 pm

jptremblay wrote:
TheKingOfVa360 wrote:

-Sammy

Seriously? Wow.

Sent from my Z981 using RealGM mobile app
[gfycat][/gfycat]
chrismikayla
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,907

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Black Players In Utah 

Post#18 » by chrismikayla » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:40 pm

chrismikayla wrote:
jptremblay wrote:
TheKingOfVa360 wrote:

-Sammy

Seriously? Wow.

EDIT: The comment I was responding to disappeared LOL.

[gfycat][/gfycat]
Jazzlurker
Sophomore
And1: 124

Post#19 » by Jazzlurker » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:42 pm

Forte IV wrote:
jptremblay wrote:
TheKingOfVa360 wrote:

Isn't any KFC in UTAH?

Look it up. World's first KFC in Murray, UT
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#20 » by Winglish » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:44 pm

For those who saw the moderated KFC comment before it was moderated, I happen to eat at the world's 1st KFC all the time:

https://m.facebook.com/pages/The-Worlds-First-KFC/168245479890102

Yep, Salt Lake City is the actual original home of Kentucky Fried Chicken. :lol:

Return to The General Board