Interesting article on Black Players In Utah

Moderators: KF10, GimmeDat, Knickstape1214, magnumt, BombsquadSammy, Tarik Black, Slava, CoreyGallagher, ken6199, Rhettmatic, Yuri Vaultin, Mr. E, bwgood77, DayofMourning, Dirk Nowitzki

User avatar
I Hate Manure
Sophomore
Posts: 224
And1: 120
Joined: Jul 04, 2016

Re: Interesting article on Black Players In Utah 

Post#161 » by I Hate Manure » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:08 pm

sikma42 wrote:
Why would most young professional want to like I'm Utah or Milwaukee (it is somewhat different bc some for some industries these places are second or third tier)?


Because of opportunity. That's how this country was built. People didn't just stay in New York, Philly, and Boston. They expanded westward because that is where they could create wealth, independence, freedom, and legacies. Even today people are branching away from California for greener pastures in Austin, Portland, and probably SLC.

The NBA should be no different.
sikma42
Rookie
Posts: 1,172
And1: 498
Joined: Nov 23, 2011

Interesting article on Black Players In Utah 

Post#162 » by sikma42 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:12 pm

I Hate Manure wrote:SLC is a beautiful city. Utah is kind of like the Alderran of the United States.

Only uninteresting people can't find happiness wherever they go. This is the problem facing our country. We are a melting pot but we are turning into a self-interested, self-obsessed group of people. If you move to Salt Lake City, learn to appreciate the local culture, the uniqueness of Mormonism, and the beauty of the American frontier. If you move to Atlanta or New Orleans, check out the jazz, the gospel choirs, the soul/Creole food, and black culture. If you have to play in Europe, appreciate the opera, the masterpieces in their museums, and architecture.


I'm a black man who is attracted to black women. The population has basically no black women. I want to raise my children around a critical mass of black people. I want to pursue my career (Utah is a second rate city to do that). I guess that all falls under being uninteresting.

I enjoy Portland. Even considered eventually going there if I ever decided to slow down. But, Portland and SLC seem a bit different. At least my perception.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
mtron929
Analyst
Posts: 3,253
And1: 2,274
Joined: Jan 01, 2014

Re: Interesting article on Black Players In Utah 

Post#163 » by mtron929 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:16 pm

If I were still in my 20s (currently in my 30s), these are the cities that I would prefer playing in order (assuming everything else is equal and I just care about location). * are places where I've never been to.

1. Golden State Warriors (Bay Area is the best)
2. New York Knicks
3 (tied). Los Angeles Lakers
3 (tied). Los Angeles Clippers
5. Chicago Bulls
6. Brooklyn Nets* (never been to Brooklyn, but I assume that Manhattan is close by and I can live in Manhattan as well)
7. Toronto Raptors
8. Miami Heat
9. Boston Celtics
10. Washington Wizards
11. Dallas Mavericks
12. Phoenix Suns
13. Denver Nuggets
14. Portland Trailblazers*
15. Philadelphia Sixers
16. Atlanta Hawks*
17. MInnesota Timberwolves
18. San Antonio Spurs*
19. Houston Rockets*
20. Utah Jazz
21. New Orleans Pelicans
22. Milwaukee Bucks
23. Memphis Grizzlies*
24. Indiana Pacers
25. Sacramento Kings
26. Detroit Pistons
27. Orlando Magic*
28. Charlotte Hornets*
29. Cleveland Cavs
30. OKC Thunder
laika
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,950
And1: 989
Joined: Mar 22, 2011

Re: Interesting article on Black Players In Utah 

Post#164 » by laika » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:17 pm

sikma42 wrote:
I Hate Manure wrote:SLC is a beautiful city. Utah is kind of like the Alderran of the United States.

Only uninteresting people can't find happiness wherever they go. This is the problem facing our country. We are a melting pot but we are turning into a self-interested, self-obsessed group of people. If you move to Salt Lake City, learn to appreciate the local culture, the uniqueness of Mormonism, and the beauty of the American frontier. If you move to Atlanta or New Orleans, check out the jazz, the gospel choirs, the soul/Creole food, and black culture. If you have to play in Europe, appreciate the opera, the masterpieces in their museums, and architecture.


I'm a black man who is attracted to black women. The population has basically no black women. I want to raise my children around a critical mass of black people. I want to pursue my career (Utah is a second rate city to do that). I guess that all falls under being uninteresting.



Yea, we get that. But what I'm trying to point out is that for the purposes of this discussion people are ignoring the evidence.
Atlanta, New Orleans, Memphis and Milwaukee have a lot of black people. Yet just like Utah, they struggle to attract free agents. That Utah can't attract free agents due to a lack of diversity is at most only part of the explanation. Most likely a small part given the lack of appeal of cities with completely opposite demographic profiles.
sikma42
Rookie
Posts: 1,172
And1: 498
Joined: Nov 23, 2011

Re: Interesting article on Black Players In Utah 

Post#165 » by sikma42 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:26 pm

laika wrote:
sikma42 wrote:
I Hate Manure wrote:SLC is a beautiful city. Utah is kind of like the Alderran of the United States.

Only uninteresting people can't find happiness wherever they go. This is the problem facing our country. We are a melting pot but we are turning into a self-interested, self-obsessed group of people. If you move to Salt Lake City, learn to appreciate the local culture, the uniqueness of Mormonism, and the beauty of the American frontier. If you move to Atlanta or New Orleans, check out the jazz, the gospel choirs, the soul/Creole food, and black culture. If you have to play in Europe, appreciate the opera, the masterpieces in their museums, and architecture.


I'm a black man who is attracted to black women. The population has basically no black women. I want to raise my children around a critical mass of black people. I want to pursue my career (Utah is a second rate city to do that). I guess that all falls under being uninteresting.



Yea, we get that. But what I'm trying to point out is that for the purposes of this discussion people are ignoring the evidence.
Atlanta, New Orleans and Milwaukee have a lot of black people. Yet just like Utah, they struggle to attract free agents. That Utah can't attract free agents due to a lack of diversity is at most only part of the explanation. Most likely a small part given the struggles of cities with completely opposite demographic profiles.


I haven't read through the entirety of the thread. But, people don't make their decisions based on one issue. Players don't want to play in SLC and Atlanta. The reasons for each decision are likely not based in the same issues. I don't think anyone was saying there is a direct link between % of black people and players wanting to play in a city. However I'd say that perceived racism is a big barrier for a place like Utah.

The fact that it is only part of the issue seem obvious.

I'd like to see the %s American blacks on Utah vs other teams over the years.






Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
User avatar
I Hate Manure
Sophomore
Posts: 224
And1: 120
Joined: Jul 04, 2016

Re: Interesting article on Black Players In Utah 

Post#166 » by I Hate Manure » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:26 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:True and by that time is way too late to change, but i also think Kareem wanted take that HUGE risk to come out here. When he did, for not himself but everyone that can relate to him. LA was decent to him , way before he the joined NBA. He went back home in my opinion.


I don't blame Kareem for it. Milwaukee in the 70s (or today) wasn't a great city for a politically active black Muslim jazz aficionado who also wanted to be a movie star. He is a special and unique player. I have more sympathy for him than I do the Carmelo Anthony types.
User avatar
I Hate Manure
Sophomore
Posts: 224
And1: 120
Joined: Jul 04, 2016

Re: Interesting article on Black Players In Utah 

Post#167 » by I Hate Manure » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:35 pm

sikma42 wrote:
I'm a black man who is attracted to black women. The population has basically no black women. I want to raise my children around a critical mass of black people. I want to pursue my career (Utah is a second rate city to do that). I guess that all falls under being uninteresting.

I enjoy Portland. Even considered eventually going there if I ever decided to slow down. But, Portland and SLC seem a bit different. At least my perception.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums


Are you talking about your real life or a hypothetical situation where you were an NBA free agent?

It's one thing if you are a regular person and another where you are a millionaire who only lives in a place for half the year part of the time. In that regard, athletes are kind of like soldiers. Would you be miserable being deployed to Korea, Alaska, or Germany.....or would you eventually get over it and start enjoying the local fare while you wait to come home? Whatever happened to having a sense of adventure and trying new things?
User avatar
KDBG
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,510
And1: 708
Joined: Nov 19, 2012
 

Re: Interesting article on Black Players In Utah 

Post#168 » by KDBG » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:41 pm

I love that my home is getting this attention. Some views are on point, and some are so damn far off. But this creates discussion, and I love it.
jswede
Senior
Posts: 707
And1: 646
Joined: May 11, 2015
Location: So Fla
 

Re: Interesting article on Black Players In Utah 

Post#169 » by jswede » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:54 pm

KDBG wrote:I love that my home is getting this attention. Some views are on point, and some are so damn far off. But this creates discussion, and I love it.


Agree. The discussion has been interesting and relatively tolerant of differing views - in contrast to the prevailing identity politics of today.
ItsThatEasy
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,424
And1: 2,127
Joined: Nov 04, 2014
 

Re: Interesting article on Black Players In Utah 

Post#170 » by ItsThatEasy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:57 pm

This thread has veered so far off from the article that initiated the conversation.

The article is well thought, objective and as absolutely no agenda.

It does NOT paint NBA players as victims or some bratty millionaires who hate white people.

It's simply a think piece about guys who don't have access to the things they're used to culturally.

People have turned this into "well if I was a young millionaire I wouldn't complain".

NOBODY complained, the writer came up with an idea for an article and sought out black Jazz players from 4 decades ago up until now, it made for a very interesting read. That's all.
User avatar
KingDavid
RealGM
Posts: 19,930
And1: 17,719
Joined: Sep 04, 2013
       

Re: Black Players In Utah 

Post#171 » by KingDavid » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:32 pm

EAS Law wrote:I think this is an illustration of how young black athletes hold prejudices toward places like Utah because "white people live there" in a twist of irony, where there is an assumption that they will be pre-judged and treated unfairly.

I would imagine that 90% of the posters in this thread have never been to Utah, yet claim that there is no culture there and that it is full of "people that don't look like" these athletes.

It's actually pretty amusing that people are so indoctrinated to believe that prejudice and racial preference only works one way.

Edit: Wow I worded that poorly...

Let me try that again. There was no prejudice involved in this article.

I've never been to Utah or more importantly, slc. I'm sure there's culture there. Just not at the level of diversity I experience daily here in South Florida. Or not enough of a specific culture(s) that some of these athletes grew up being used to. It's not a complaint, it's an observation.

I'm a black guy. While I'd love to visit these types of places, I'm not too keen on living in those types of areas. Not enough speed.
#HEATLifer

The pretty womandiva in my avatar? Val MercadoDwyane Waiters.
sikma42
Rookie
Posts: 1,172
And1: 498
Joined: Nov 23, 2011

Interesting article on Black Players In Utah 

Post#172 » by sikma42 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:33 pm

I Hate Manure wrote:
sikma42 wrote:
I'm a black man who is attracted to black women. The population has basically no black women. I want to raise my children around a critical mass of black people. I want to pursue my career (Utah is a second rate city to do that). I guess that all falls under being uninteresting.

I enjoy Portland. Even considered eventually going there if I ever decided to slow down. But, Portland and SLC seem a bit different. At least my perception.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums


Are you talking about your real life or a hypothetical situation where you were an NBA free agent?

It's one thing if you are a regular person and another where you are a millionaire who only lives in a place for half the year part of the time. In that regard, athletes are kind of like soldiers. Would you be miserable being deployed to Korea, Alaska, or Germany.....or would you eventually get over it and start enjoying the local fare while you wait to come home? Whatever happened to having a sense of adventure and trying new things?


Regardless of situation I wouldn't want to live in SLC. You have to pay me a lot of money to make t worth while.

I wouldn't be miserable anywhere because by nature I'm optimistic and make the best of situations.

SLC isn't a new thing. It's not moving to a different country. At least if I'm moving to Seoul or Tokyo I'm learning about a different culture and can immerse myself in the language. I don't think I'm getting the same degree of that in SLC. And regardless, that is not an "adventure" I'd ever seek out in ANY situation.

Btw...I've traveled a fair amount and would love to work in other global cities.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
GobertReport
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,352
And1: 639
Joined: Jan 18, 2013
   

Re: Interesting article on Black Players In Utah 

Post#173 » by GobertReport » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:44 pm

sikma42 wrote:
I Hate Manure wrote:SLC is a beautiful city. Utah is kind of like the Alderran of the United States.

Only uninteresting people can't find happiness wherever they go. This is the problem facing our country. We are a melting pot but we are turning into a self-interested, self-obsessed group of people. If you move to Salt Lake City, learn to appreciate the local culture, the uniqueness of Mormonism, and the beauty of the American frontier. If you move to Atlanta or New Orleans, check out the jazz, the gospel choirs, the soul/Creole food, and black culture. If you have to play in Europe, appreciate the opera, the masterpieces in their museums, and architecture.


I'm a black man who is attracted to black women. The population has basically no black women. I want to raise my children around a critical mass of black people. I want to pursue my career (Utah is a second rate city to do that). I guess that all falls under being uninteresting.

I enjoy Portland. Even considered eventually going there if I ever decided to slow down. But, Portland and SLC seem a bit different. At least my perception.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums


Utah has attractive black women, maybe not as many as other areas but we do, also what do you know about the Utah economy? I guess I should ask what your career is to determine that Utah is second rate for said career, it seems like you have a prejudice against white people or Utah.
The artist formally known as Underkanter.
User avatar
Winglish
Veteran
Posts: 2,825
And1: 924
Joined: Feb 17, 2013
     

Re: RE: Re: Interesting article on Black Players In Utah 

Post#174 » by Winglish » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:02 pm

KDBG wrote:I love that my home is getting this attention. Some views are on point, and some are so damn far off. But this creates discussion, and I love it.

Agreed. Some of the perceptions of Salt Lake City are funny to read because they are so far from the reality of the situation. Some are real issues to discuss.

The poster above who mentioned how they wanted their kids to date within the same race resonated with me. That can be a real issue for black kids. I am a school principal and I see that one firsthand from time to time. We get some black kids who only want to date black kids but the other black kids at school just are not right for them. Meanwhile, there might be a white kid or Asian kid or Latino kid or an islander who is good looking and shares the same interests and they get along great, but the kids just won't cross that racial line a lot of times. It does make me sad to see the kids keep trying to force the proverbial square peg into the round hole just because they share skin color and have literally nothing else in common.

Sent from my SM-N900T using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Nate505
Head Coach
Posts: 6,534
And1: 1,043
Joined: Oct 29, 2001
Location: Denver, CO
       

Re: Interesting article on Black Players In Utah 

Post#175 » by Nate505 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:14 pm

sikma42 wrote:Got through the first few 5 pages and haven't heard any mention of multiple NBA players calling the Utah fans racist. Many have reported being made to feel uncomfortable and being the called the number word. Makes sense that no one would choose to go there if they had other choices.

Sent from my SM-T713 using RealGM mobile app

Probably because it's not true.

I've heard the claim too. Yet in an era for the past 10 or whatever years with cell phone cameras and other various recording devices it has never appeared. Plus the players who are making the claims are mostly idiots.
Gobert for DPOY 2017!
User avatar
Nate505
Head Coach
Posts: 6,534
And1: 1,043
Joined: Oct 29, 2001
Location: Denver, CO
       

Re: Interesting article on Black Players In Utah 

Post#176 » by Nate505 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:15 pm

Tave wrote:Frankly, SLC can be a very lonely and seemingly unfriendly place for outsiders of every race.

Mormons are usually incredibly nice and kind people, but their social interactions are heavily influenced by church life, and in SLC especially it's easy for a person to feel "frozen out" or "ignored" when he or she isn't a part of that culture.

SLC isn't all that Mormon though. This myth just keeps existing.
Gobert for DPOY 2017!
Ancalagon
Senior
Posts: 631
And1: 159
Joined: Jul 02, 2008

Re: Interesting article on Black Players In Utah 

Post#177 » by Ancalagon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:24 pm

Nate505 wrote:
Tave wrote:Frankly, SLC can be a very lonely and seemingly unfriendly place for outsiders of every race.

Mormons are usually incredibly nice and kind people, but their social interactions are heavily influenced by church life, and in SLC especially it's easy for a person to feel "frozen out" or "ignored" when he or she isn't a part of that culture.

SLC isn't all that Mormon though. This myth just keeps existing.


Salt Lake City was 65.6% White Non-Hispanic and 50% Mormon as of the 2010 census. Certainly less white than Portland or several East Coast cities.
hype_2004
General Manager
Posts: 7,702
And1: 913
Joined: May 28, 2004
Location: T.O

Re: Black Players In Utah 

Post#178 » by hype_2004 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:29 pm

TheKingOfVa360 wrote:
koogiking wrote:Im a so called young black urban youth and personally I think places like Denver, Utah Minnesota etc. are pretty cool. As long as the people are welcoming, accepting. Actually pretty nice, chill low key different.

I think NBA players most importantly want to win and get paid. Being in a small market isnt really that big of a concern, except for a few individuals(Dwight, Melo etc.) NBA players seem to like it. You won't have papparazi up your ass. You can bring your family and friends there to so it's not like its really nothing to do. Night Clubs are overrated. I don't like them And on the road you can always go out anyway if you really want to do that stuff


It's not all about the night clubs. Black players want to be able to have good food, get a good hair cut, meet new people of a similar backgrounds. A lot of players aren't into the night club scene.


For Black players good food = Soul food, getting a good haircut = a black barbershop, meeting new people of similar backgrounds well Utanhs are Americans lol, but that's where it ends there :lol: and you wonder why these black athletes are allergic to places like Utah.
User avatar
Nate505
Head Coach
Posts: 6,534
And1: 1,043
Joined: Oct 29, 2001
Location: Denver, CO
       

Re: Interesting article on Black Players In Utah 

Post#179 » by Nate505 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:31 pm

Ancalagon wrote:
Nate505 wrote:
Tave wrote:Frankly, SLC can be a very lonely and seemingly unfriendly place for outsiders of every race.

Mormons are usually incredibly nice and kind people, but their social interactions are heavily influenced by church life, and in SLC especially it's easy for a person to feel "frozen out" or "ignored" when he or she isn't a part of that culture.

SLC isn't all that Mormon though. This myth just keeps existing.


Salt Lake City was 65.6% White Non-Hispanic and 50% Mormon as of the 2010 census. Certainly less white than Portland or several East Coast cities.

The other thing to remember about the percentage is the number of active Mormons in Salt Lake is low. The political results play it out. Would a 50% active Mormon city elect a lesbian woman for mayor?

It would be like being frightened you could never find bacon at a restaurant because you moved to a city that was 50% Jewish, then finding out the % that was Orthodox was really small.
Gobert for DPOY 2017!
User avatar
I Hate Manure
Sophomore
Posts: 224
And1: 120
Joined: Jul 04, 2016

Re: Interesting article on Black Players In Utah 

Post#180 » by I Hate Manure » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:01 pm

sikma42 wrote:
Regardless of situation I wouldn't want to live in SLC. You have to pay me a lot of money to make t worth while.

I wouldn't be miserable anywhere because by nature I'm optimistic and make the best of situations.

SLC isn't a new thing. It's not moving to a different country. At least if I'm moving to Seoul or Tokyo I'm learning about a different culture and can immerse myself in the language. I don't think I'm getting the same degree of that in SLC. And regardless, that is not an "adventure" I'd ever seek out in ANY situation.

Btw...I've traveled a fair amount and would love to work in other global cities.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums


I think every place has new things to see or do. Utah is completely unique in terms of religion and history in the U.S. It's not exotic or sexy but interesting enough. The rest of the non-Mormon stuff strikes me as being similar to other healthy, outdoorsy Western cities.

Personally, I think I would get more out of that than playing in Miami or L.A. and being constantly drawn/pressured into the whole club scene (got to keep up with the Joneses) filled with women trying to milk you of every dime you earned. If I was a young player who grew up with those expectations, I would think living in Utah would be freeing and relaxing. There is always the road trips to do your partying on.

Return to The General Board