How should Silver deal with healthy scratches?

Moderators: ken6199, DayofMourning, Dirk Nowitzki, GimmeDat, Yuri Vaultin, BombsquadSammy, Tarik Black, KF10, Slava, CoreyGallagher, Knickstape1214, Rhettmatic, magnumt, Mr. E, bwgood77

User avatar
bmurph128
Starter
Posts: 2,455
And1: 1,430
Joined: May 28, 2015
     

Re: How should Silver deal with healthy scratches? 

Post#121 » by bmurph128 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:05 pm

draftnightsuit wrote:People assume Lebron is still young because he's still the best player in the league, but he's been in the league 14 seasons. It makes sense to rest him.

Irving is 24, there's no reason for him to be resting.

You shouldn't be able to rest unless you've played at least 1000 games.



Kyrie has already missed more games to injury than LeBron has his entire career..

And Kyrie tweaked his knee the game before, so he wasn't really a "healthy" scratch.
User avatar
bmurph128
Starter
Posts: 2,455
And1: 1,430
Joined: May 28, 2015
     

Re: How should Silver deal with healthy scratches? 

Post#122 » by bmurph128 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:06 pm

Question:

As a Clippers fan (or Grizzlies fan earlier this year), would you rather you see LeBron and your team has a decent chance to lose; or not see LeBron and your team with a 99% chance to win?
mtron929
Analyst
Posts: 3,237
And1: 2,256
Joined: Jan 01, 2014

Re: How should Silver deal with healthy scratches? 

Post#123 » by mtron929 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:15 pm

draftnightsuit wrote:People assume Lebron is still young because he's still the best player in the league, but he's been in the league 14 seasons. It makes sense to rest him.

Irving is 24, there's no reason for him to be resting.

You shouldn't be able to rest unless you've played at least 1000 games.


Well, one can make a compelling argument that regardless of age, players should rest as much as possible. That is, there is a prevalent theory that all the career minutes amount to wear and tear similar to how the miles take toll on cars. Thus, people talk about how Lebron has played over 40,000 minutes and that these things all add up. So if that is the case, then wouldn't you want to rest your superstars as much as possible regardless of the age? The analogy is to only drive when it is necessary such that you can drive your car for a very long time.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 41,627
And1: 2,476
Joined: Aug 23, 2002

Re: How should Silver deal with healthy scratches? 

Post#124 » by TheOUTLAW » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:16 pm

How about, no back to back games after the all star game
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
User avatar
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
Posts: 5,934
And1: 1,032
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Location: San Mateo, CA

Re: How should Silver deal with healthy scratches? 

Post#125 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:24 pm

jeeph wrote:
Cyrusman122000 wrote:Is it possible to implement a rule where a player doesn't get his game check unless a medical exam shows he's clearly injured and not able to play?

Therefore you could still rest players if you want but healthy players who don't play won't get paid for that game?


As you can see from the game, Kyrie and LeBron were dressed. But here is the back story....They were 2 minutes late for a meeting and were benched for the game for team discipline reasons. If they continue this behavior then they will benched up to 20 times a season for this and then will receive fines. It's all in the team charter. The Cavs organization was just following the team rules.

Catch what I'm throwing down? Legislating morals is always a slippery slope and is able to be bypassed without hardly any effort. You need incentives to fix it, not empty threats.

This is basically what I (and others) said throughout this thread. And you/I are right. But people keep posting punitive measures that are 100% unenforceable as if they are new ideas. Until you get to the point where you're ready to say, "The league can tell a coach who he can sit on the bench and who he must play", the discussion is a pretty short one.
Image

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
User avatar
Knicks_Fan2
RealGM
Posts: 19,619
And1: 4,138
Joined: May 14, 2010

Re: How should Silver deal with healthy scratches? 

Post#126 » by Knicks_Fan2 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:26 pm

Cut the back to backs into a national TV game as it is the only cover these teams have for resting their players. If they continue to do it, then reassess whether further rule changes are necessary. For any fan here, seriously don't buy a ticket to a team playing on b2b. It's just not worth it and, even with the Cavs game, it was only announced a couple hours before the game so buying same day doesn't even mean you're safe.
User avatar
Johnny Firpo
General Manager
Posts: 9,638
And1: 4,007
Joined: Apr 17, 2009
 

Re: How should Silver deal with healthy scratches? 

Post#127 » by Johnny Firpo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:36 pm

How would a schedule look without back to backs, but playing on every second day with the exception of Christmas, new year and the All-Star break? On occasions teams have 3-4 days off between their games, what would happen if you eliminate all three or four days long breaks, and in return there would be no back to backs to any teams, but they would have to play essentially in every two days?
Bolivar
Rookie
Posts: 1,007
And1: 1,920
Joined: Aug 28, 2014
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: How should Silver deal with healthy scratches? 

Post#128 » by Bolivar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:45 pm

edit: nvm, wrong logic
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
Posts: 20,630
And1: 1,598
Joined: Jul 12, 2003
Location: Game: Blouses.

Re: How should Silver deal with healthy scratches? 

Post#129 » by I_Like_Dirt » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:55 pm

Cyrusman122000 wrote:Is it possible to implement a rule where a player doesn't get his game check unless a medical exam shows he's clearly injured and not able to play?

Therefore you could still rest players if you want but healthy players who don't play won't get paid for that game?


No offense, but this is a terrible idea. It actually gives teams even more reason to rest players, because if they don't play, they don't get paid. Teams are resting guys for preventative medical reasons, so the theory goes that in the long run, those players on average actually play more games than they would if they played in every game they could and then got hurt later. Of course, that wouldn't be true for every player, and it's impossible to tell when it would or wouldn't be true ever, but that's the theory, and frankly, I think there is some sound methodology to it.

Honestly, I get the frustration with players resting, but frankly, it frustrates me a little bit that fans actually get madder about buying tickets where a player doesn't sit to rest him or for a minor injury than they do if a player misses a game because of something serious. It's far better overall to have players miss a few games here and there for minor issues at best than it is to have guys missing super long stretches because of injuries. And this isn't to say it prevents all injuries, because that's obviously impossible, but it only takes one or two serious injuries prevented to make up for all the odd games here and there that rested players make. But there is this odd idea that players missing because of serious injury was just a fluke - well it turns out there is bad luck involved but there is a lot of preventative stuff that can be done, but everyone gets mad at prevention rather than recovery after the fact because of this idea that a problem doesn't exist until it happens. As a fan, though, you can bet I wouldn't be paying extra to see Lebron or any other star play in a game towards the end of the season - heck, I wouldn't be paying extra to see a player play that far into the future in general.
Prepare to be RASHOWNED!
User avatar
CountOnAlex
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,704
And1: 2,215
Joined: Jul 04, 2012
   

Re: RE: Re: How should Silver deal with healthy scratches? 

Post#130 » by CountOnAlex » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:08 pm

bubonicphoniks wrote:
CountOnAlex wrote:
bubonicphoniks wrote:Personally. I don't think a thing should be done. Coaching decisions should remain coaching decisions. This is silly.


is it fair for someone to pay $500 for a ticket to see the cavs but when they get there lebron, kyrie and love are "resting"?

no, it's not okay.

ticket prices are set based on who plays on that team and how good that team is.

lebron-less cavs, tickets for the nosebleeds in toronto were $10-$30. since lebron returned to cleveland, that ticket in the nosebleeds is now $100-$130.


Sure it's ok.

No one forced them to buy a ticket to the game.

If you want to make sure you see a certain human being look for a public appearance or something I don't know. If you want to see a basketball team play buy a ticket.

This is rediculous. Let the coaches coach. You really want a league where the commissioner sets the teams lineups?


Ok go buy a $100 ticket for a show when it's advertised that your fav actor is playing in it, and you show up and someone's filling in for him. Pretty sure you'd feel duped and demanding a refund.

The NBA is a product, and if I'm paying for a product, I expect to get my money's worth. I hope the crazy Americans file a class action lawsuit against the NBA.

All the NBA has to do is fix the dynamic ticket prices. If a player sits out, adjust the price of the ticket accordingly. It's only fair. As fans, we pay their salaries.
Image
User avatar
Johnny Firpo
General Manager
Posts: 9,638
And1: 4,007
Joined: Apr 17, 2009
 

Re: How should Silver deal with healthy scratches? 

Post#131 » by Johnny Firpo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:28 pm

Bolivar wrote:Also, it would cause stuff like "the Bulls play on tuesdays, thursdays and saturdays" or "the Celtics play on mondays, wednesdays, fridays and sundays"... because you couldn't change it without causing a back2back, and there's no room for 2 days off :lol:

I don't think so, it would go like this: monday, wednesday, friday, sunday, tuesday, thursday, saturday, then repeat. Every team would play on every day of the week. The "only" problem is that I think the strain would be even bigger than it is now, right? Just quickly calculated it, doing this way, the regular season would end around April 13th, so a little later than usual, considering that the playoffs starts on April 15th. So it could actually work, they would have a couple of extra days to finish the 82 games, and no back to backs.
HurricaneKid
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,951
And1: 1,099
Joined: Jul 13, 2010
Location: Sconnie Nation
 

Re: How should Silver deal with healthy scratches? 

Post#132 » by HurricaneKid » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:30 pm

What is going to happen is the league is going to take extra time to make the schedule (read: work with their TV partners to decide on what games are televised). The TV partners will then get their marquee matchups and the league will schedule rest time around those.

The game is a lot different than it was in the 80s and 90s and defenders have a lot more ground to cover to defend 3-5 shooters on the opposing team. 25 years ago it was to Iso/PnR one side of the floor to play 2v2 or 3v3. There was enough rest during the game (and if a guy needed a rest you just moved him to the guy on the other team that was just sitting in the corner). That can't happen any more given the level of movement. So yeah, you are going to need to provide rest throughout the season. Its just a matter of the league not wanting its marquee TV games ruined by rest. So its on the league to schedule rest around those games in the future.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
antonac
Junior
Posts: 306
And1: 230
Joined: Dec 01, 2016
 

Re: How should Silver deal with healthy scratches? 

Post#133 » by antonac » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:12 pm

If they do anything it should be decreasing the number of games.

it's a sport, and sports entertainment is derived from it's competitiveness, not from making the players play when they're not fit, if a team feels it can best win the championship by resting players, doing whatever it takes, then that enhances the value of winning the championship.
User avatar
king_james_vers
Sophomore
Posts: 121
And1: 149
Joined: Jul 20, 2013
   

Re: How should Silver deal with healthy scratches? 

Post#134 » by king_james_vers » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:12 pm

Why is scheduling in the NBA so erratic to begin with? I don't understand it. Some weeks a team will play on a Tuesday and a Saturday, and then the next week they'll play Thursday, Friday and Sunday. It's just asinine how inconsistent it is.
Tukkerwolf
Junior
Posts: 466
And1: 250
Joined: Nov 07, 2014
 

Re: RE: Re: How should Silver deal with healthy scratches? 

Post#135 » by Tukkerwolf » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:17 pm

GlenRiceARoni wrote:
Tukkerwolf wrote:What is the argument against an extra month of regular season? Just start at the end of September and remove b2b's...

Yeaaaah we're going to need you to start coming in on Saturdays...

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Excited about the Playoffs now that Durant has given other teams a fighting chance


So you say the players have a 5 month holiday and still complain?
User avatar
dacrusha
RealGM
Posts: 10,283
And1: 1,550
Joined: Dec 11, 2003
Location: Waiting for Jesse Ventura to show up...
       

Re: How should Silver deal with healthy scratches? 

Post#136 » by dacrusha » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:28 pm

Embiid was a healthy scratch many, many times this year. Should the Sixers be fined for this?
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
sportscrazy
General Manager
Posts: 7,862
And1: 569
Joined: Jul 27, 2002

Re: How should Silver deal with healthy scratches? 

Post#137 » by sportscrazy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:35 pm

I feel like you need the CBA to weed out super teams and once those are kind of a trend of the past as much as possible, you need to create incentive to win.

Maybe eliminate conferences and have the best 2 teams in the league get a first round bye.
OsuCavsfan103
Analyst
Posts: 3,029
And1: 2,634
Joined: Jul 06, 2014
Location: Ohio
       

Re: How should Silver deal with healthy scratches? 

Post#138 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:39 pm

Just an idea I was toying around with in my head. What if each player got 5 healthy scratches to use a year, and they had to choose when they would be before the season starts, and they cannot be changed. Now this doesn't pertain to injuries, and I am sure players could get around it just making up something, but as far as healthy scratches go. Once the schedule comes out each player can choose 5 games to sit out and still be paid. This way they could choose back to backs, especially later in the year, and fans would have the information ahead of time to decide if they want to buy tickets or not.

Other than those 5, anytime a player sits when healthy they should be subject for a certain % of their yearly playing salary, as well as not receive a game check for that game.

I know this isn't a perfect idea, and the players/teams will exxagerate injuries at times etc, but it would help at least in the fans perspective not shelling out money to see a game who turns out to be a battle of the C squads.
Cleeeeveland this is for you!
HotTubMike
Rookie
Posts: 1,207
And1: 1,354
Joined: Apr 06, 2015
     

Re: How should Silver deal with healthy scratches? 

Post#139 » by HotTubMike » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:52 pm

king_james_vers wrote:Why is scheduling in the NBA so erratic to begin with? I don't understand it. Some weeks a team will play on a Tuesday and a Saturday, and then the next week they'll play Thursday, Friday and Sunday. It's just asinine how inconsistent it is.


You don't see how it could be difficult to schedule 30 teams to play 82 games over 6 months in 28 different cities with like 28 different arenas who often have to share with the NHL and other events.

It's amazing they are as good at doing as they are now.... it is an incredibly difficult job.
sportscrazy
General Manager
Posts: 7,862
And1: 569
Joined: Jul 27, 2002

Re: How should Silver deal with healthy scratches? 

Post#140 » by sportscrazy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:58 pm

sportscrazy wrote:I feel like you need the CBA to weed out super teams and once those are kind of a trend of the past as much as possible, you need to create incentive to win.

Maybe eliminate conferences and have the best 2 teams in the league get a first round bye.


To expand...

4 Best Record Get Byes To Round 2. The best 20 teams make the playoffs (this gives reason not to tank because you could make the playoffs easier and means only the worst 10 teams in the league are lottery eligible.)

Play-In Round:
Worst of the 16 out of 20 playoff teams play best of 3 game "play in" series.

Round 1:
8 Round 1 Winners are re-seeded and play best of 7 series.

Round 2:
4 Round 2 Winners are re-seeded and play best of 7 series against the 4 best teams in the league.

Round 3:
4 Remaining Teams are re-seed and play best of 7 series.

Championship:
Remaining 2 teams play best of 7 series against each other.

1. The extra "play in" round creates more money for owners.
2. The bye creates incentive to play your players and get the bye rather than risk resting them and having to start at the "play in round"
3. More teams in the playoffs creates less tanking incentive.
4. Eliminating conferences makes the league more competitive.

Return to The General Board