Should One-and-Done Be Changed to Two Years?

Moderators: KF10, GimmeDat, Knickstape1214, magnumt, BombsquadSammy, Tarik Black, Slava, CoreyGallagher, ken6199, Rhettmatic, Yuri Vaultin, Mr. E, bwgood77, DayofMourning, Dirk Nowitzki

User avatar
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
Posts: 25,809
And1: 3,567
Joined: Jan 02, 2005
Location: Not Houston
       

Re: Should One-and-Done Be Changed to Two Years? 

Post#61 » by TMU » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:12 am

College education shouldn't be a mandatory prerequisite for wanting to participate in professional sports. I mean we're not talking about managing or running operations for a franchise, which obviously would require some higher education. But otherwise, NO.
Image
User avatar
Pachinko_
Veteran
Posts: 2,661
And1: 1,371
Joined: Jun 13, 2016
 

Re: Should One-and-Done Be Changed to Two Years? 

Post#62 » by Pachinko_ » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:18 am

meekrab wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:European teams will not easily take a chance on a raw teenager either.

Is this a joke? European teams are happy to sign teenagers. Real Madrid's current 2nd string PG has been 18 for 20 days. :lol:

Doncic? He's anything but raw.
Je suis Kings.
jpengland
Veteran
Posts: 2,873
And1: 1,961
Joined: Jan 22, 2014
   

Re: Should One-and-Done Be Changed to Two Years? 

Post#63 » by jpengland » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:46 am

Until the.NBA has a proper d league system,i agree. Make them do a two year commitment and enter the league much more rounded.

As for the 'against their will' argument. It's nonsense.

They can at pro ball if they want, they can get a 9 - 5 and play in their spare time, these guys can do what they like.
jpengland
Veteran
Posts: 2,873
And1: 1,961
Joined: Jan 22, 2014
   

Re: Should One-and-Done Be Changed to Two Years? 

Post#64 » by jpengland » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:49 am

TMU wrote:College education shouldn't be a mandatory prerequisite for wanting to participate in professional sports. I mean we're not talking about managing or running operations for a franchise, which obviously would require some higher education. But otherwise, NO.


Noone is saying they need a college education. Players don't have to go to college.

What is being mooted is ensuring that players are old enough to have matured physically and mentally and have had enough experience playing ball to enter an 82 game plus NBA season of constant travel, media pressure and toughest schedule in the world. All whilst being renumerated to phenomenal levels.
pcbothwel
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,585
And1: 417
Joined: Jun 12, 2010
     

Re: Should One-and-Done Be Changed to Two Years? 

Post#65 » by pcbothwel » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:55 am

Black Jack wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:
Ripp wrote:The NCAA cabal already is exploiting athletes enough, no reason to allow them to extract more undeserved revenue from them


See, I dont think it does. You make the rule that if you go to college, you will not be eligible to be drafted until after your sophomore year. This still allows players to go to the D-League, Europe, or straight out of highschool. To me, this will make the D-League far more interesting, allow generational talents to leave after highschool, and college basketball to be higher quality in regards to team defense, ball movement, etc.


Someone should make a rule that you don't get paid for your job, you get room and board and some basketweaving classes. Also, you must practice every day and you can't work anywhere else because our cartel controls all the competing companies. I bet the product would improve!


Cute story, but in what way, shape, or form are 18 y/o kids not allowed to earn a living? The NBDL and overseas are viable options.
Just because Mudiay and Jeremy Tyler were bust, doesnt mean it cant be done. The NBA certainly wont punish you for it, so why dont they?
Maybe its because a 18 y/o kid likes being on National TV, in a packed stadium, playing with guys his age, and being around beautiful young women all the time.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
Posts: 12,091
And1: 2,262
Joined: Jul 06, 2014
       

Re: Should One-and-Done Be Changed to Two Years? 

Post#66 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:45 am

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:Absolutely not. IMO, they should change it and allow people to enter the draft once they turn 18.

I dont see that working out well at all. Thats worst than and one and done rule. Quit high school so maybe you can be the next Kobe, KG.

Ok, and I disagree and see no way that it's worse than the one and done rule. College can be argued as an impediment to their development because of school requirements (however relaxed they may be) and fitting into the system (like how AD, KAT, Booker all showed more skills once entering the league). These teams are scouting players in high school anyway, so the lack of scouting argument is moot.


The sucess rate is going be horrible , it was horrible when Kobe and KG made it, but at least at that time Jalen Roses of the world had better chance at making a nba career. Chris Webber had long career in the NBA.
BigLurch92
Veteran
Posts: 2,905
And1: 470
Joined: Jan 08, 2005
Location: Portland
     

Re: Should One-and-Done Be Changed to Two Years? 

Post#67 » by BigLurch92 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:53 am

I completely agree

Tyler Ennis is a good example. dude was a top-20 pick and literally defines the word scrub. I think he has played for like 4 teams already and he now is only 22.
Jim Morrison is not dead he is just not alive.
User avatar
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 7,490
And1: 4,439
Joined: Sep 07, 2010

Re: Should One-and-Done Be Changed to Two Years? 

Post#68 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:57 am

If a player is good enough to turn pro, they shouldn't have to succumb to the facade that is NCAA basketball. Yes, they can technically go play overseas for a year or in the d league for a year, but those aren't great options by any means. In one instance, they have to leave the country at 18 (either uprooting their family or going it alone). In the other, they don't make close to a viable salary (although that is changing next season).

I'd be vehemently against a 2 year age limit, but if the NBA insists on the one and done rule, they need to continue to put money into the d league. The gatorade sponsorship is a step in the right direction, so they can increase salaries and create these flex roster spots where players can go back and forth throughout the season. The goal should be to have 1 d league franchise for every NBA team, and work to making the d league a viable alternative to college. This will be beneficial to the players as well as franchises who can develop young talent in a true minor league.
User avatar
7 Footer
Analyst
Posts: 3,429
And1: 6,743
Joined: Jun 24, 2015
   

Re: Should One-and-Done Be Changed to Two Years? 

Post#69 » by 7 Footer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:12 am

straight outta high school. Kobe, KG, Lebron just to name a few. No one forcing GM's to draft 18 year olds.
Image
Ritchiesli wrote:Ross is officially a stage 5 ****boy

DeRozanTho wrote:Most definitely Norman Powell over Terrence Ross aka Young Bill Kennedy.
RaptorsLife
RealGM
Posts: 22,290
And1: 20,536
Joined: Feb 16, 2015
   

Re: Should One-and-Done Be Changed to Two Years? 

Post#70 » by RaptorsLife » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:14 am

Absolutely not.
Let's go Raptors
jmnvcavs
Pro Prospect
Posts: 945
And1: 771
Joined: Nov 01, 2013
     

Re: Should One-and-Done Be Changed to Two Years? 

Post#71 » by jmnvcavs » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:31 am

This would make the talent gap between top college teams and the rest so substantial in my opinion.
NBAFan93
Pro Prospect
Posts: 791
And1: 413
Joined: Dec 04, 2016

Re: Should One-and-Done Be Changed to Two Years? 

Post#72 » by NBAFan93 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:47 am

I personally would like to see the D-League pay more money and provide a place where talented, but not quite ready, players of age could go to get themselves NBA ready. If you want to make basketball your career, why even go through the charade of pretending to be a college student studying something else? Additionally, using the NCAA student athlete system as a temporary showcase for a player who you know is only going to be there for one year, has no intention of ever getting a degree, and really isn't a "student" is a farce.

I don't know what the answer is though, but when you think about it, even a regular person going to college for a degree in accounting (even if they are on a scholarship) has the right to just stop going to school at any time and start working for any company that wants to pay them. We can't restrict these young guys' freedom just because their job is being an athlete. I guess I am against forcing any number of years in college beyond the first year.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
Posts: 12,091
And1: 2,262
Joined: Jul 06, 2014
       

Re: Should One-and-Done Be Changed to Two Years? 

Post#73 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:44 am

NBAFan93 wrote:I personally would like to see the D-League pay more money and provide a place where talented, but not quite ready, players of age could go to get themselves NBA ready. If you want to make basketball your career, why even go through the charade of pretending to be a college student studying something else? Additionally, using the NCAA student athlete system as a temporary showcase for a player who you know is only going to be there for one year, has no intention of ever getting a degree, and really isn't a "student" is a farce.

I don't know what the answer is though, but when you think about it, even a regular person going to college for a degree in accounting (even if they are on a scholarship) has the right to just stop going to school at any time and start working for any company that wants to pay them. We can't restrict these young guys' freedom just because their job is being an athlete. I guess I am against forcing any number of years in college beyond the first year.


So far nobody seems to care about the D-League. Its not working as farm system. Maybe send suspended players to d leauge?
User avatar
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,708
And1: 1,933
Joined: May 26, 2003
Location: Ohio
Contact:
   

Re: Should One-and-Done Be Changed to Two Years? 

Post#74 » by INKtastic » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:56 am

only way it remotely makes sense is if colleges start paying their athletes (at least their best ones) in exchange for requiring the extra year. NCAA basketball generates a massive amount of revenue. If a change is made to make college basketball even more valuable (which keeping the best players in the league an extra year would do), the players should get some of that benefit.
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
Ballerhogger
RealGM
Posts: 12,091
And1: 2,262
Joined: Jul 06, 2014
       

Re: Should One-and-Done Be Changed to Two Years? 

Post#75 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:59 am

INKtastic wrote:only way it remotely makes sense is if colleges start paying their athletes (at least their best ones) in exchange for requiring the extra year. NCAA basketball generates a massive amount of revenue.

How do you define the best ones? All american list? How much do you give them? The league would have to make pay outs. Is that every going happen? No. Doesnt happen in college football, title 9 .. oh boy.
zimpy27
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,327
And1: 3,266
Joined: Jul 13, 2014

Re: Should One-and-Done Be Changed to Two Years? 

Post#76 » by zimpy27 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:16 am

What if teams could use lottery picks to draft a prospect at any age but the player must complete two years of college? That would be very interesting.

Using pick 6 on a 15 year old HS prospect that won't be with your team for 5 years.
The NBA. Where amassing happens. We are all witless.
User avatar
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
Posts: 18,312
And1: 9,481
Joined: Aug 03, 2008
Location: Formerly Mats272-Goat until I found Sofia The First...

Re: Should One-and-Done Be Changed to Two Years? 

Post#77 » by Sofia » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:32 am

NCAA hard cap.

School can spend up to $2m per season to fill a squad of 20 players with a player max of $1m per season. Players can transfer. Players are fully insured and in the event of career injury are eligible to receive pro rata compensation based on their contracted value and can finish their 4 year scholarship. Players who don't meet academic requirements are docked a percentage of salary.

TBH, I'm just rattling things off top of my head, I'd rather the entire NCAA exploration system was disbanded, but that's not going to happen.
GOTB DEPUTY MODERATOR
Simmons25
Senior
Posts: 636
And1: 667
Joined: Sep 27, 2016
 

Re: Should One-and-Done Be Changed to Two Years? 

Post#78 » by Simmons25 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:42 am

Tiesto_Lakers wrote:Guys like Draymond Green and Damian Lillard are great examples. Even Steph Curry.

None of those guys would be who they are if they didn't develop in College.


Only because nobody would have drafted them in Year 1 or 2... otherwise there is no way they would have stayed in College over the NBA.

Besides... you make it 2 years instead of 1 and I will tell you what will happen. Players will start going overseas instead for 2 years to play professionally and make money. The NCAA would be the massive losers out of this.
User avatar
Knickstape1214
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 39,155
And1: 15,415
Joined: Jul 16, 2009
Location: Law School
     

Re: Should One-and-Done Be Changed to Two Years? 

Post#79 » by Knickstape1214 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:58 am

Ballerhogger wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:I dont see that working out well at all. Thats worst than and one and done rule. Quit high school so maybe you can be the next Kobe, KG.

Ok, and I disagree and see no way that it's worse than the one and done rule. College can be argued as an impediment to their development because of school requirements (however relaxed they may be) and fitting into the system (like how AD, KAT, Booker all showed more skills once entering the league). These teams are scouting players in high school anyway, so the lack of scouting argument is moot.


The sucess rate is going be horrible , it was horrible when Kobe and KG made it, but at least at that time Jalen Roses of the world had better chance at making a nba career. Chris Webber had long career in the NBA.


It was horrible when Kobe and KG made it because there were busts? Seriously? There are busts every damn year because of poor scouting, inability to transfer skills to pros, poor fit for pro game, etc. Blaming coming out of high school is creating a false narrative that ignores the success stories and focuses on the failures.

Allow me to try - let's stop allowing international players to come over when they're 19 and make them wait until they are 20 because there have been busts drafted at ages 18/19. Forcing them to wait until they are 20 will be better because people like Nikoloz Tskitishvili, Mouhamad Sene, and Darko Milicic were busts. See how easy that was?
:-?
Don't trade Melo unless we can get fair value. #hoodwinkedbyPhil #firePhil. Stop being dumb sheep.

Image
User avatar
MAQ
RealGM
Posts: 44,692
And1: 2,024
Joined: Feb 28, 2006
Location: Dedication
     

Re: Should One-and-Done Be Changed to Two Years? 

Post#80 » by MAQ » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:00 pm

bs_and_cs wrote:NBA should do like the MLB.

These are the MLB draft entry rules on who can enter each draft:
High school players, if they have graduated from high school and have not yet attended college or junior college;
College players, from four-year colleges who have either completed their junior or senior years or are at least 21 years old; and
Junior college players, regardless of how many years of school they have completed


The MLB draft is a bit different in there are like 60 rounds. But teams draft guys and then if they don't sign they aren't eligible again til they hit the next window.

NBA could do the same. The best of the best who are ready can enter the draft right away. If you aren't ready you go to school for 2 years and then can enter the draft any time after that again. I think that is a lot better policy than making guys who have no interest in taking any classes go to school to play for a year.

Always agreed that the NBA should adopt the MLB format. Yes the NCAA makes more money off of the kids but this really is best for everyone. NBA and the players can take the risk at the young age. They can make Junior College athletes a viable option as opposed to them NEEDING to go to a 4 year institute. And you can take the giys that felt they werent ready and really give them time to develop.

Its a win for all 3 parties involved with Junior Colleges seeing the biggest benefit. So many good players would go there.
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.

Return to The General Board