OT: RealGM vs other sites

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

shawn_hemp
Starter
And1: 1,194

Re: OT: RealGM vs other sites 

Post#21 » by shawn_hemp » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:07 pm

I always seemed to post about sports in sub forums of sites that weren't about sports at all and once I joined this site it actually made sense to go in depth about stuff

Not gonna lie though, a lot of times I'll take stances on something just to get a reaction from other posters. Then come up with just enough evidence and proof for my side to make it a judgement call. I'll use statistics when they support my argument and then say "I'm so glad we don't play on calculators" when they go against it.

Something I'm trying to work on but it's so hard not to sometimes

I should start a Trolls Anonymous

Love this site though, and everyone on it. It's all banter when you really get down to it, if I was really that correct in predicting basketball related things I would be in Las Vegas right now
Alonzo_Morning
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,624

Post#22 » by Alonzo_Morning » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:21 pm

I'm surprised at how good some of the rumour on Reddit NBA, some clever dicks out there
PDX MM
Veteran
And1: 959

Post#23 » by PDX MM » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:39 pm

I came here after ESPN shut down their boards and it certainly was a breath of fresh air although things seem to have slipped a little lately on the GB. I just wish the other sports boards were active since I am a fan of more than just basketball. One of the few drawbacks of living in Oregon is I don't have anyone to talk hockey with.
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#24 » by Throwback24 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:44 pm

Mother other sites are garbage. cesspools of Tristan Thompson is dating a cancerous Kardashian omgggz. I got love for RealGM
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
Flight33
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,887

Post#25 » by Flight33 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:50 pm

Reddit is stupid.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,683

Post#26 » by Johnny Firpo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:02 pm

Easily the best basketball forum with amazing traffic, probably worth millions of dollars by now, and the owner or owners still didn't sell out as far as I know, so respect, and thanks guys. My adblock is off on this site, and I encourage my fellow posters to do the same! This sounds like a paid advertisement too, but it really isn't. :)
RIP Kobe
Analyst
And1: 4,505

Post#27 » by RIP Kobe » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:05 pm

Flight33 wrote:Reddit is stupid.

it's too confusing to navigate. i tried a while back and gave up.

realgm is the greatest.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#28 » by magnumt » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:24 pm

chrismikayla wrote:I joined this site a little less than three years ago after finding it upon doing a Google search. I am a member of other sites in other sports and I can say REALGM is by far the best run with the best posters. The moderators here can be tough when they need to but are fair and most important reasonable. I have been given warnings or been shot down rudely by mods on other sites by simply sending a very nice PM requesting clarification. Mods here are always responsive and courteous when PM's are sent. Best of all is it seems the site is getting better all the time! Thanks everyone!

P.S. no I'm not on RealGM's payroll LOL

Sent from my Z981 using RealGM mobile app

Checks in the mail...

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,467

Post#29 » by RIPskaterdude » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:28 pm

You're welcome
ShazamDaShiznt
Analyst
And1: 4,766

Post#30 » by ShazamDaShiznt » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:30 pm

SashaTheMachine
Sixth Man
And1: 1,376

Post#31 » by SashaTheMachine » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:31 pm

Thank goodness for realgm. I used to post on some **** lakers board in like '08. People there were awful and sucked. I love reading the general board. it's probably the first thing I check when I open the browser lol.
mastermixer
Starter
And1: 2,943

Post#32 » by mastermixer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:54 pm

Back in the Lakers Hay-day, Clublakers was better than Realgm. But then as the lakers got worse, and the mods there started combining ever new thread into "Mega Threads" the site went way down hill and now it's gone.

The Misc is still the best forum, but it's not as good as it used to be either/
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr
HotTubMike
Veteran
And1: 4,166

Post#33 » by HotTubMike » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:00 pm

Some team specific forums get really good traffic... not really general NBA stuff but if its your team its good... with of course some general NBA conversations going on.
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,289

Post#34 » by goodboy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:00 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:Easily the best basketball forum with amazing traffic, probably worth millions of dollars by now, and the owner or owners still didn't sell out as far as I know, so respect, and thanks guys. My adblock is off on this site, and I encourage my fellow posters to do the same! This sounds like a paid advertisement too, but it really isn't. :)

I would if I can get some coin out of it too :D
Bright
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,936

Post#35 » by Mamba4Goat » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:03 pm

I originally started with Hoopshype and I loved it--had a few tough trolls put me in my place and actually make me learn what I was talking about (was a younger guy, made it to a mod though! :lol: ) but it was great community too. Unfortunately the forum died down and I checked out Realgm and I've liked it, significantly more activity. I like the mods too, they're good people.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM

Post#36 » by Johnny Firpo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:06 pm

goodboy wrote:I would if I can get some coin out of it too :D

We use the site for free, think of it as compensation for the countless hours of fun. :)
Johnny Firpo
RealGM

Post#37 » by Johnny Firpo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:09 pm

I sometimes read the AMAs, but I couldn't read those forums on a daily basis. You have to force your brain to figure out who replied who, it's so dense. I guess you could get used to it, but why would you?
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#38 » by bondom34 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:12 pm

Tried it but realized any actual discussion is obliterated because any contrary opinion gets downvoted and everything is a reaction to what's happened just this week. There is no way to actually talk about anything there, which is what I've found I like here so much (especially the PC board).
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,289

Post#39 » by goodboy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:14 pm

reddit replies are the epitome of shambles.
Bright
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,432

Post#40 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:18 pm

PDX MM wrote:I came here after ESPN shut down their boards and it certainly was a breath of fresh air although things seem to have slipped a little lately on the GB. I just wish the other sports boards were active since I am a fan of more than just basketball. One of the few drawbacks of living in Oregon is I don't have anyone to talk hockey with.

Fun thing from history:

RealGM took off because ESPN bought Chad Ford's sportstalk.com. Soon after the best basketball posters were desperately looking for a site to get away from the blind homerism of the casual fan and RealGM was in the right place at the right time despite a rather bizarre name that gave no indication that it was an actual message board...because originally it wasn't supposed to BE a message board, just have a message board.

The knowledge on the board though, to be clear, is something that's been built over time. It was always better than the competition, but it didn't get where it is today over night.

So yeah, there's some extra irony in more posters coming to RealGM because ESPN shut down the message boards. RealGM has continually benefited from ESPN's crappiness driving people to seek something better and apparently that continues even in its death. :D
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!

Return to The General Board