If Durant Had Stay With OKC They Would Have Been The Favorite To Win The Title

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

HornetsFan29
Bench Warmer
And1: 952

If Durant Had Stay With OKC They Would Have Been The Favorite To Win The Title 

Post#1 » by HornetsFan29 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:45 pm

after how last year ended for them I really Believe OKC Would had rebounded and won the title this year had Durant had stayed and its shame he took the easy way out cause winning the title being the #1 guy in OKC would have mean a lot more to his legacy then joining a super stack team which he get no respect for if he wins.
Yoshun
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,721

Re: If Durant Had Stay With OKC They Would Have Been The Favorite To Win The Title 

Post#2 » by Yoshun » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:50 pm

I don't think so. It's possible they get by GSW in a tough series, but I still think the Cavs beat them. Their roster, outside of Durant and Westbrook, really isn't that strong. They depended on those guys a lot, and too much on Westbrook now.

Durant's impact on the team should be pretty damn obvious by now though. There should be no question as to how good he is.
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Re: If Durant Had Stay With OKC They Would Have Been The Favorite To Win The Title 

Post#3 » by RaptorsLife » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:50 pm

Durant obviously didn't think so. If his mind wasn't in okc. Then it was time for a change
Raptors til death
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#4 » by The_Hater » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:51 pm

After trading Ibaka, I don't think they would have been the favourite. Worse than last season IMO. Also remember that if Durant doesn't go to the Warriors they have money to spend on other players including likely Harrison Barnes.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,859

Post#5 » by KingDavid » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:52 pm

LeBron received plenty of respect when he won with the Heat. The only ones that'll probably cry are the ones without jewelry, as per usual.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#6 » by Mamba4Goat » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:54 pm

OKC doesn't need Durant to be a contender, they have Kyle Singler.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#7 » by bondom34 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:03 pm

They supposedly had an offer ready for Horford and were setting up to get him as well. So Westbrook/Roberson/Durant/Horford/Adams with Oladipo off the bench was the plan. Sigh.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
HornetsFan29
Bench Warmer
And1: 952

Post#8 » by HornetsFan29 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:10 pm

bondom34 wrote:They supposedly had an offer ready for Horford and were setting up to get him as well. So Westbrook/Roberson/Durant/Horford/Adams with Oladipo off the bench was the plan. Sigh.

man that would have been a sick lineup.
nbafan38
Head Coach
And1: 5,416

Post#9 » by nbafan38 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:10 pm

I don't know about favorite but they would have been right up there with GSW and Cle.
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#10 » by PKABOOICU » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:12 pm

They were one 3 and D guy away.

Adams emerged as a starter, keeping Ibaka and KD, and getting a legit SHOOTING guard who can defend the perimeter would have gone a long way for them.

A guy like Trevor Ariza or Wes Matthews would have gotten it done.

Thabo Sefolosha was the closest thing they had but he wasn't lights out....same with Anthony Morrow and Steve Novak to a lesser extent. Andre Roberson can't shoot. Kevin Martin SHOULD HAVE done it, and they were never high on Jeremy Lamb.... and they didnt want to pay James Harden.

OKC is functional and dysfunctional at the same time. They were so close to getting over the hump multiple times.
nbafan38
Head Coach

Post#11 » by nbafan38 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:15 pm

They were actually a KD and Russ chokejob away from being in the finals. We can say that lacked the role players all we want but if either of those two had stepped up in game 6, OKC would have been in the finals. The difference is instead of taking responsibility for the loss KD as usual allowed Russ to be his scapegoat and ran away from the pressure. Russ meanwhile is battling with a team that can't even compete but you know he'll go down fighting
nbafan38
Head Coach

Post#12 » by nbafan38 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:24 pm

Yoshun wrote:I don't think so. It's possible they get by GSW in a tough series, but I still think the Cavs beat them. Their roster, outside of Durant and Westbrook, really isn't that strong. They depended on those guys a lot, and too much on Westbrook now.

Durant's impact on the team should be pretty damn obvious by now though. There should be no question as to how good he is.

Sure his impact is amazing, too bad it's being wasted on a team that can win without him. I'm okay with KD leaving OKC but he should have at least taken his talents somewhere where he'd really impact a contender.
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#13 » by RaptorsLife » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:25 pm

nbafan38 wrote:They were actually a KD and Russ chokejob away from being in the finals. We can say that lacked the role players all we want but if either of those two had stepped up in game 6, OKC would have been in the finals. The difference is instead of taking responsibility for the loss KD as usual allowed Russ to be his scapegoat and ran away from the pressure. Russ meanwhile is battling with a team that can't even compete but you know he'll go down fighting

Imagine if dion waiters actually played like he does this season than he did last year lol
Raptors til death
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,700

Post#14 » by Warriorfan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:34 pm

bondom34 wrote:They supposedly had an offer ready for Horford and were setting up to get him as well. So Westbrook/Roberson/Durant/Horford/Adams with Oladipo off the bench was the plan. Sigh.

Would have been a contender and would be trouble for warriors small ball death squad. If Curry Thompson had down years from 3 might be the favorite.
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,353

Post#15 » by Patches Perry » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:40 pm

Yoshun wrote:I don't think so. It's possible they get by GSW in a tough series, but I still think the Cavs beat them. Their roster, outside of Durant and Westbrook, really isn't that strong. They depended on those guys a lot, and too much on Westbrook now.

I don't disagree that Durant is really, really good but this is a weird comment considering OKC will only have suffered a 5-7 game drop-off from last year after losing Durant for nothing (55 wins to probably 48 or so). And GS will win less games than last year with Durant added, and aren't really that much worse without him. Durant's actual impact on wins doesn't look that great if you're simply looking at teams before and after his presence. Compare that to LeBron for example, it was something like 40+ less wins for the team he left.

As far as the OP - OKC would have been in the mix with GS and CLE as co-favorites. All 3 teams would have had a chance at the title, which is why Durant's move pissed everyone off so much. It killed OKC as a contender and boosted GS above Cleveland. We went from 3 powerhouses to 1 super-powerhouse, 1 powerhouse and 1 team going from powerhouse to 2nd tier. It really was an anti-competitive move both individually and as a whole.
nbafan38
Head Coach

Post#16 » by nbafan38 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:43 pm

Patches Perry wrote:

I don't disagree that Durant is really, really good but this is a weird comment considering OKC will only have suffered a 5-7 game drop-off from last year after losing Durant for nothing (55 wins to probably 48 or so). And GS will win less games than last year with Durant added, and aren't really that much worse without him. Durant's actual impact on wins doesn't look that great if you're simply looking at teams before and after his presence. Compare that to LeBron for example, it was something like 40+ less wins for the team he left.

As far as the OP - OKC would have been in the mix with GS and CLE as co-favorites. All 3 teams would have had a chance at the title, which is why Durant's move pissed everyone off so much. It killed OKC as a contender and boosted GS above Cleveland. We went from 3 powerhouses to 1 super-powerhouse, 1 powerhouse and 1 team going from powerhouse to 2nd tier. It really was an anti-competitive move both individually and as a whole.

Yea in the regular season Durants presence hasn't actually made that much difference in terms of win totals, in fact GSW regressed in wins compared to last year even before Durant got injured. However of course in the playoffs Durants impact will be massively felt.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#17 » by Dark Faze » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:07 pm

Durant might have won anywhere he went--Boston, Washington, OKC, whatever. GSW was not a necessary move at all. And yes OKC would have smashed them the second time around if they'd kept Ibaka.
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#18 » by Throwback24 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:17 pm

Absolutely not. I can't even entertain this, strong no.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
millslapper
Senior
And1: 332

Post#19 » by millslapper » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:22 pm

Where they at their peak last year with Ibaka? If no, then the thread opener is right.
SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,334

Post#20 » by SpreeS » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:27 pm

Could they get 1st seed in the West? I dont think so... In this case, no one from TOP 4 team could beat other 3 TOP oponents in row.

Return to The General Board