Westbrook leaving his man open to grab rebounds?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,923

Westbrook leaving his man open to grab rebounds? 

Post#1 » by Shock Defeat » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:23 pm

Westbrook has contested a grand total of 160 FG’s on the ENTIRE SEASON.

That number is staggeringly low and to be frank, flat out embarrassing. …

Westbrook ranks dead last in the NBA in contested shots among players averaging 30 or more MPG by a considerable margin. Hilariously, the only two players who have contested less 3P FGA’s are Rudy Gobert and Whiteside, who have contested 53 and 64 respectively. Russell Westbrook is at 69 while having playing [sic] close to the same amount of minutes…Yes, DeAndre Jordan has contested more 3P FGA’s this season than Russell Westbrook.

http://stats.nba.com/players/hustle/#!?sort=CONTESTED_SHOTS_3PT&dir=-1&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&CF=MIN*GE*1400&PerMode=Totals

Some people may point to other names on that list, i.e. Jimmy Butler, showing they have fairly lower contest numbers as well. The difference being Jimmy Butler’s counterpart is attempting 4 fewer FGA than Westbrook’s.

Westbrook is contesting approximately 3.4 of his PG matchup’s 13.1 FGA while on the floor. The player he’s supposed to be defending is attempting 74% of their shots without a contest from Westbrook. Butler on the other hand is right around 45%.

http://www.82games.com/1617/16OKC1.HTM

Ignoring the fact that he [is] leaving his man with regularity to chase rebounds, even when Westbrook contests shots he’s the worst guard in the league in expected FG% against.

His opp. +6.9% over expected FG% is dead last in the NBA among guards. The only other players over 4.5% are Sean Kilpatrick, Kyle Korver, and Emmanuel Mudiay.

http://thebiglead.com/2017/03/24/is-russell-westbrook-padding-his-rebounding-stats-by-leaving-his-defender-stats-say-he-is/
SH0KASE
Junior
And1: 434

Re: Westbrook leaving his man open to grab rebounds? 

Post#2 » by SH0KASE » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:30 pm

what is this article trying to accomplish? We all know that westbrook has his eye on the record so this is nothing new.

Every single team in the league would love to have him on the roster.
durden-tyler
Junior
And1: 287

Post#3 » by durden-tyler » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:31 pm

Seems logical, you can't have that much rebounds as a PG without playing this way, but on the other hand maybe he's preventing the opposing team to grab some offensive rebounds...
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,718

Post#4 » by TinmanZBoy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:38 pm

he is all about offense this year, does not play much defense at all... it is a pity because he could be very good at that end... another thing is a lot of times Robertson was guarding his counterparts who are major offensive weapons...
Sadly, Russ chasing triple doubles probably is not doing OKC better than a Russ who plays all around solid roles... OKC has a lot talents, particularly on defense, they should be much better than this
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#5 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:44 pm

Well, he's averaging 10.5 rebounds per game which equates to a lot of missed shots, so I guess him not guarding other players is a valid defensive tactic.

Seriously though, what he's doing this season is simply unbelievable and historic. This gripe of him not contesting enough shots doesn't mean much to me.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
HotTubMike
Veteran
And1: 4,166

Post#6 » by HotTubMike » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:44 pm

This thread will not end well
bon
General Manager
And1: 13,395

Post#7 » by bon » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:50 pm

Didn't we have this thread last month?
Gary Cokeman
Pro Prospect
And1: 3,387

Post#8 » by Gary Cokeman » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:51 pm

Trying to find reasons to bash Westbrook is asinine, he's averaging a **** TRIPLE DOUBLE for the season, and personally thats something I never thought I'd see happen. It's historic, who cares how he's doing it, and on top of that his team full of role players is the 6th seed in the west.
My Teams Always Suck.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,321

Post#9 » by Scalabrine » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:54 pm

TinmanZBoy wrote:he is all about offense this year, does not play much defense at all... it is a pity because he could be very good at that end... another thing is a lot of times Robertson was guarding his counterparts who are major offensive weapons...
Sadly, Russ chasing triple doubles probably is not doing OKC better than a Russ who plays all around solid roles... OKC has a lot talents, particularly on defense, they should be much better than this

Their record when he gets a triple double versus when he doesn't says otherwise...

A team of:
Adams/Kanter
Gibson/Sabonis
Roberson/McDermott
Oladipo/Abrines/Grant
Westbrook/Christon

Has no business being better then a team like the Blazers, Nuggets, or Grizzlies. Westbrook has been out of this world.
Go Knicks!
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,076

Post#10 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:55 pm

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#11 » by bondom34 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:56 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:
Westbrook has contested a grand total of 160 FG’s on the ENTIRE SEASON.

That number is staggeringly low and to be frank, flat out embarrassing. …

Westbrook ranks dead last in the NBA in contested shots among players averaging 30 or more MPG by a considerable margin. Hilariously, the only two players who have contested less 3P FGA’s are Rudy Gobert and Whiteside, who have contested 53 and 64 respectively. Russell Westbrook is at 69 while having playing [sic] close to the same amount of minutes…Yes, DeAndre Jordan has contested more 3P FGA’s this season than Russell Westbrook.

http://stats.nba.com/players/hustle/#!?sort=CONTESTED_SHOTS_3PT&dir=-1&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&CF=MIN*GE*1400&PerMode=Totals

Some people may point to other names on that list, i.e. Jimmy Butler, showing they have fairly lower contest numbers as well. The difference being Jimmy Butler’s counterpart is attempting 4 fewer FGA than Westbrook’s.

Westbrook is contesting approximately 3.4 of his PG matchup’s 13.1 FGA while on the floor. The player he’s supposed to be defending is attempting 74% of their shots without a contest from Westbrook. Butler on the other hand is right around 45%.

http://www.82games.com/1617/16OKC1.HTM

Ignoring the fact that he [is] leaving his man with regularity to chase rebounds, even when Westbrook contests shots he’s the worst guard in the league in expected FG% against.

His opp. +6.9% over expected FG% is dead last in the NBA among guards. The only other players over 4.5% are Sean Kilpatrick, Kyle Korver, and Emmanuel Mudiay.

http://thebiglead.com/2017/03/24/is-russell-westbrook-padding-his-rebounding-stats-by-leaving-his-defender-stats-say-he-is/

http://fansided.com/2017/01/12/nylon-calculus-shot-defense-metrics-actions/
I'd recommend a stats background for this.

Useless metric = bad results.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Thabo Sefolosha
Thunder Forum The Opening Tip
And1: 6,543

Post#12 » by Thabo Sefolosha » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:56 pm

TinmanZBoy wrote:he is all about offense this year, does not play much defense at all... it is a pity because he could be very good at that end... another thing is a lot of times Robertson was guarding his counterparts who are major offensive weapons...

Lol OKC has a winning record when Westbrook records a triple double
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by bondom34 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:00 pm

Oh and nobody bringing up that Harden's rebounding numbers are just as "inflated" or whatever, he just grabs 2 less per game lol. Dude has nearly identical contested rebounding numbers.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Gary Cokeman
Pro Prospect
And1: 3,387

Post#14 » by Gary Cokeman » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:02 pm

bondom34 wrote:Oh and nobody bringing up that Harden's rebounding numbers are just as "inflated" or whatever, he just grabs 2 less per game lol. Dude has nearly identical contested rebounding numbers.

Harden went from loved, to hated, back to loved, it's pretty bizarre.
My Teams Always Suck.
ocelot17
Starter
And1: 3,829

Post#15 » by ocelot17 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:03 pm

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by bondom34 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:04 pm

Gary Cokeman wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Oh and nobody bringing up that Harden's rebounding numbers are just as "inflated" or whatever, he just grabs 2 less per game lol. Dude has nearly identical contested rebounding numbers.

Harden went from loved, to hated, back to loved, it's pretty bizarre.

And:
1. He's a worse defender than Westbrook.
2. Apparently nobody even noticed for being such a GOAT offensive player he's not even leading the league in ORPM, despite his offensive box score numbers climbing throughout the year. Westbrook is.
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach

Post#17 » by TinmanZBoy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:04 pm

Scalabrine wrote:

Their record when he gets a triple double versus when he doesn't says otherwise...

whether he got a triple double or not in a certain night, he was playing the way to get a triple double... not necessarily conducive to the overall good of the team... how about play some fundamental defense, not gambling, not skipping assignments, not chasing the board to run back for transition defense...
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by bondom34 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:04 pm

Why doesn't Harden get more rebounds? I mean, he's getting the same contested percentage? Lazy?
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,321

Post#19 » by Scalabrine » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:05 pm

god forbid a basketball player boxes out his man.
Go Knicks!
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach

Post#20 » by TinmanZBoy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:06 pm

so Kawhi is the MVP...

Return to The General Board