Who are the top 5 worst coaches in the league

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

xfactor
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,592

Re: Who are the top 5 worst coaches in the league 

Post#141 » by xfactor » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:46 pm

Wolfy1983 wrote:How Alvin Gentry keeps getting coaching gigs is beyond me.

Because he's an excellent assistant. I suppose he's a victim of the 'Peter Principle'
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,483

Post#142 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:28 pm

doctaJ_92 wrote:I don't understand the hate for Kidd. His BRK team seriously overachieved, and now his Bucks team has a clear identity, plays together, and plays HARD every game, and they've overachieved despite what should have been crippling injuries.

I watched a lot of Buck games this year and I have compared Kidd a lot to Mark Jackson. I dont think hes a bad coach and I actually think he is a good coach for young players. I think he helped build a lot of fundamentals for a young team just like Jackson did for GS. Hell there was a year where Kidd didnt allow Jabari and Giannis to take jumpshots and forced them to build there games around attacking the rim and now you can really see the benefits from that, he had 2 physical freak wings scoring 20ppg while shooting 50% from the floor and now youre starting to see both of the players add the jump shots to their game.

But just like Jackson, if you watch them enough you start to see they just dont have it for in game adjustments and their game plans are very simple. GS with Jackson was a bunch of young talented players with good fundamentals that won a good amount of games because of their talent, but it was clear they lacked the in game coaching. It was basically Jackson just rolling the ball out and saying Curry, do your thing. Thats kind of where Kidd is at right now, he basically just saying Giannis just do your thing. Its working right now because Toronto is a poorly coached team with players that choke in the playoffs and because Giannis is a freak. But theyre going to need a coaching upgrade so they can have a system that takes advantage of their players if they start to want making deep playoff runs.
celticsfan34
Junior
And1: 91

Post#143 » by celticsfan34 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:36 am

JudBuchler wrote:In your honest opinion?

1. Alvin Gentry , This guy has had Anthony Davis and all start caliber PG jrue holiday , even now with Cousins the team is garbage and has been all of gentrys tenure there.

2. Nate Mcmillan , A talented roster from top to bottom, yet every time they play it looks a mess, they have a very pedestrian record. this guy is not a good coach

3. Doc Rivers , Hes made the clippers a bad team, this was a perenial top 3 team in the league and ever since hes been there its been downhill and choking. the guy is a pure idiot head coach, an even worse GM

4. Tyron Lue, he won with Lebron - Irving And Love all healthy and playing, the cavs are playing terrible basketball right now, If it was anyone else theyd be axed but its Lebrons Buddy and someone Lebron can bully

5. Earl Watson, Pheonix suns are not progressing at all, extremely talented young players but no movement or progression at all.

Honarable mention - Coach for Orlando (Although i suspect tanking ) Fizdale in memphis , Coach for Charlotte , Stan van gundy (Although that roster reeks)

Terrible list........and the reasoning as to why the coach you mentioned is ranked...awful. Gentry's tenure at NOLA has been unfortunate because of injuries in his first season and/or the make up of the roster. You're not going to became an immediate success when you bring in players that will have a significant role on the team so Cousins coming in with like 25 games left when the Pels' are out of contention is a wash.

Secondly, McMillan is probably the worst on here IF you had to pick. Bird wanted his team to push the pace and that is opposite of what McMillan coached teams are.

Rivers....seriously?! injuries and Doc the GM has been the downside of this team. Please, just stop. The team has had injuries and never been fully healthy.

Lue.....again, just stop. Some how you have to manage a Lebron-coached team and he's doing a better job than Blatt since he has Lebron's respect. He doesn't put up with it and isn't afraid of him.

Earl Watson...he was handed a young team and is in his first full season with a team that had a starting 5 that was younger than Gonzaga's. This is a rebuilding team that is building through the draft and hopefully getting a star player through trade or free agency.

and your honorable mention? Don't list a coach you don't even know the name of. Fizdale is a coach of the year nominee. Charlotte needs more pieces and had a bad slide to finish the year. Stan Van Gundy? C'mon man.

Every coach has a different situation why they're team is a good or bad, whether it's the situation they were hired into or if the GM did a supbar job. There really isn't a "bad coach" in the league, hence why it's the first time in 40+ years a coach wasn't fired during the season.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#144 » by JordansBulls » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:45 am

JXL wrote:You spelled "Fred Hoiberg" wrong.

This, he is the top of the list.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#145 » by Spens1 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:43 am

This thread needs more Dwyane Casey.

playing ISO all the time isn't coaching.
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,035

Post#146 » by JazzUte88 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:55 am

Alvin Gentry
Nate McMillan
Doc Rivers
Earl Watson
Jeff Hornacek

Overall the coaching pool is pretty good. I think the only guys that should seriously be considered fired is Gentry & McMillan.

Return to The General Board