Marv Albert

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Sakay
Sophomore
And1: 234

Re: Marv Albert 

Post#21 » by Sakay » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:07 pm

am i the only one who loves jvg's commentary? bill land, sean elliot, john barry, and clyde drexler on the other hand..
JulesWinnfield
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,354

Post#22 » by JulesWinnfield » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:16 pm

Sakay wrote:am i the only one who loves jvg's commentary? bill land, sean elliot, john barry, and clyde drexler on the other hand..

I love JVG. And I also think that this crew is going to go down as one of the most memorable ever. This year will be the 10th straight finals JVG and Breen have been at the mic together (Jax there for 7(?) of those I think). At least in the modern era that's unprecedented. Can't speak for the distant past. I've been watching since 1988 and I've never seen a tandem/trio do more than 3-4 finals consecutively before they were broken up for one reason or another (league changes networks, color guy jumps to coaching, Marv gets in a sex scandal etc). These voices will define an era, and while you never really appreciate it in the moment the nostalgia down the line with this group will be STRONG. They've been the top team for a decade and we've never really seen that
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,967

Post#23 » by INKtastic » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:23 pm

Gary Cokeman wrote:
Nolan wrote:He's still better than Van Gundy and Jackson.

Woah chill, Mark Jackson is a trash announcer but, JVG is the only one left who keeps it real.

All JVG does is complain about everything. It's quite annoying.
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,273

Post#24 » by Froob » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:51 pm

Why isn't Kevin Harlan on the TNT A team?

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Tiesto_Lakers
Analyst
And1: 4,154

Post#25 » by Tiesto_Lakers » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:02 pm

Breen > Albert
ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 18,558

Post#26 » by ken6199 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:03 pm

INKtastic wrote:
Gary Cokeman wrote:

Woah chill, Mark Jackson is a trash announcer but, JVG is the only one left who keeps it real.

All JVG does is complain about everything. It's quite annoying.

Yes JVG does complain a lot, but I feel it's in a good way. I mean, you don't want a guy keep saying 'hey basketball fans, we are seeing generational talent, we should all be happy, the league is doing great and moving towards the right direction,What a great guy Adam Silver is, blah blah blah'. Do we?

JVG says a lot of things some other commentators are either afraid or concerned to say. Complain or not, I like his IDGAF attitude. When a BS call is made, I absolutely want the guy in the mic to scream 'hey I think this is BS' (okay, not screaming non-stop like Chris Webber at least). I am not a Jax fan, yet JVG and Jax work great as a group, because Jax says little and he normally defers to JVG.

At the end of the day it's all about personal taste, so yall entitled to your views. There have been tons of JVG appreciation posts on this forum with majority of us complimenting him, and I sure love his work the most.
RealGM loves you, Melissa.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#27 » by Nolan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:31 pm

ken6199 wrote:
Yes JVG does complain a lot, but I feel it's in a good way. I mean, you don't want a guy keep saying 'hey basketball fans, we are seeing generational talent, we should all be happy, the league is doing great and moving towards the right direction,What a great guy Adam Silver is, blah blah blah'. Do we?

JVG says a lot of things some other commentators are either afraid or concerned to say. Complain or not, I like his IDGAF attitude. When a BS call is made, I absolutely want the guy in the mic to scream 'hey I think this is BS' (okay, not screaming non-stop like Chris Webber at least). I am not a Jax fan, yet JVG and Jax work great as a group, because Jax says little and he normally defers to JVG.

At the end of the day it's all about personal taste, so yall entitled to your views. There have been tons of JVG appreciation posts on this forum with majority of us complimenting him, and I sure love his work the most.

To each their own I suppose. But I just can't stand the way that he makes HIS agendas more important than the actual game that he's supposed to be calling.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Aurelius
Junior
And1: 699

Post#28 » by Aurelius » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:41 pm

I wish they would adopt the EPL style commentating and keep talking to a minimum. Let me enjoy the game instead of force feeding me storylines.
BeatDaCavs420
RealGM
And1: 22,479

Post#29 » by BeatDaCavs420 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:49 pm

You guys want bad

Listen to Neil Funk...Sometimes he forget who we're even playing :lol:
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,473

Post#30 » by Chinook » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:07 pm

Still haven't gotten why people hate Sean. Dude will actually break down film after breaks and seems to actually know basketball. He's a homer, but he also seems to know he is, so a lot of the times where the Spurs get a break, he'll act coy about it rather than pretend like it didn't happen. Like he'll say, "I'm not going to tell them. And we don't need to see that replay again." What do people expect him to do? Sure, Sac's announcers are like league treasures in terms of how they can call games and make all fans feel welcome. But the most recent complaint I've heard about Sean (from Clutch Fans) is that he doesn't take about Harden enough during Rockets games. Like seriously?

There are some local teams that legitimately don't seem to know what's going on on the court. Sean at least still seems to care about his job rather than just collecting a check like a number of former players do.
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,473

Post#31 » by Chinook » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:10 pm

Nolan wrote:To each their own I suppose. But I just can't stand the way that he makes HIS agendas more important than the actual game that he's supposed to be calling.

He's awful. That whole crew is pretty terrible. Hubie is still the best ESPN has on tap. I don't watch games for the commentators to entertain me. I don't care about their spats with each others, their rooting interests outside of basketball, their opinion on social issues or how it was in their day. I watch to see the game, and I'd prefer commentators to facilitate that rather than distract from it.
otwok
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,327

Post#32 » by otwok » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:16 pm

The best are hands down Hubie and Collins. I do miss Bill Walton (he lightened up the game). But right now Hubie, Collins and Dorris Burke.
Tinseltown
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,917

Post#33 » by Tinseltown » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:16 pm

Just because Marv is old and sometimes makes mistakes does not mean that he needs to be fired. That's ageism. Marv makes some of the most exciting play by play calls in the business and I think he should be able to work for as long as he wants.
hongdayuan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,793

Post#34 » by hongdayuan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:18 pm

JVG is very sarcastic and his voice makes his sarcasm 10x more. To each of their own, some think sarcasm is brilliant and some think it's annoying af. I personally love JVG because sometimes the things he says can make me burst out laughing (I.e. Kobes dog; worst ft competition at ASG ft Drummond, Jordan and Howard)
rousa27
Sophomore
And1: 89

Post#35 » by rousa27 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:28 pm

We need more Bill Walton commentating in the NBA. Especially when trash teams play on national TV.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,798

Post#36 » by floppymoose » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:32 pm

The_Hater wrote:Luckily Jax says very little.

True but he talks a lot.
fouronesix22
Veteran
And1: 3,548

Post#37 » by fouronesix22 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:58 pm

Van Gundy is good what are you talking about? But I hate Jackson he's an idiot. But i guess those two + Breen have good chemisty
Minnesotadrake
Sophomore
And1: 94

Post#38 » by Minnesotadrake » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:08 pm

I do love Marv but I think he'll always be associated with calling the big games of the 90's (Knicks/Bulls/Pacers). I also vote for Hubie Brown, who teaches me something new about the game very time I watch him. I would assume that most announcers (former players/coaches) aren't in the Hall of Fame so that definitely gives him a bit more credibility for me.
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by INKtastic » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:38 pm

Nolan wrote:
ken6199 wrote:

To each their own I suppose. But I just can't stand the way that he makes HIS agendas more important than the actual game that he's supposed to be calling.

Exactly, and he'll do that in the middle of the NBA finals. He's there to add insight to the game, instead he detracts from the game.
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by INKtastic » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:40 pm

Tinseltown wrote:Just because Marv is old and sometimes makes mistakes does not mean that he needs to be fired. That's ageism. Marv makes some of the most exciting play by play calls in the business and I think he should be able to work for as long as he wants.

He's already been fired once in his career, it was surprising he even resurrected his career after that incident.

Return to The General Board