Russell Westbrook will win the NBA MVP award over James Harden (after considering 62/100 votes)

Moderators: GimmeDat, Rhettmatic, KF10, Slava, CoreyGallagher, Yuri Vaultin, Knickstape1214, DayofMourning, Dirk Nowitzki, Mr. E, bwgood77, BombsquadSammy, ken6199, Tarik Black, magnumt

Gil
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,799
And1: 403
Joined: Feb 15, 2012

Russell Westbrook will win the NBA MVP award over James Harden (after considering 62/100 votes) 

Post#1 » by Gil » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:37 pm

With the help of Twitter and crowd-sourcing we spent 10 days searching for the NBA’s 100 MVP votes in the hope of introducing the world to James Harden, 2017 MVP winner.

Like a mad scientist who began their research with the best intentions, we’re dismayed by our ultimate discovery: Russell Westbrook will win the 2017 NBA MVP award.

Our crowd-sourcing and canvassing has found 62 of the NBA’s 100 first place votes for 2017 MVP. There was no announced list, so we identified the votes and that a voter had a ballot using Twitter, interviews, podcasts, articles and TV broadcasts.

And Westbrook will edge Harden.

And right now we estimate the MVP race, after 62 first place votes, to be at:

Russell Westbrook: 522

James Harden: 456

View our comprehensive spreadsheet of votes and our methodology here

A first-place vote speaks the loudest by carrying a three point margin with it. First is worth 10, second 7, third 5, fourth 3 and fifth 1.

Through a hard count of the NBA MVP votes the first place tally of votes has Westbrook in the lead:

Westbrook: 39 first place votes

Harden: 18 first place votes

Leonard: 3 first place votes

James: 2 first place votes

All that really matters is first, second and third. As we're yet to see Harden or Westbrook placed lower than third in the 23 ballots we have with clear votes 1 - 3.

While the 66-point deficit isn't too sizable numerically, it is in the context of the race. There's only 2,600 points for all five places over all 100 ballots. The most points a single player could receive is 1,000, or all 100 of the first place votes (Westbrook has appeared at third four times to Harden’s one).

The deficit Harden is facing is enormous because Harden only gains three points for each first place ballot, which is of course negated by each Westbrook first place ballot. Harden would need 13 yet-unseen ballots to mirror Kevin O’Connor’s, which is Harden-James-Westbrook, for a five point spread, just to draw virtually even in our estimate.

Sure, there’s a ton of factors here, but it’s unlikely Harden can make up this ground.

Before we got to 62 first place votes counted we asked an associate professor of statistics at Wheelock College, Dr. Samuel Cook, to give us the odds.

With 59 total first place votes counted, Dr. Cook projects if the remaining 41 first and second place votes only go to Harden and Westbrook, and each voter puts Harden in 1st with probability 50%, then in 10,000 simulations Westbrook wins 99.9% of the time.

This probability drops minimally to 98.9% if you assume Westbrook will get more 3rd place votes than Harden at the current trend.

At odds like that, even if we've made three or four mistakes in our canvassing, crowd-sourcing or estimations it's not enough to derail this prediction.

No matter the result of the Rockets-Thunder series Russell Westbrook has won the MVP award.

Congrats to Russell. Well deserved.
http://www.thedreamshake.com/2017/4/21/15378112/russell-westbrook-nba-mvp-james-harden-vote-tracking
User avatar
Augusto61
Junior
Posts: 292
And1: 334
Joined: Apr 09, 2014
Location: Brazil
         

Re: Russell Westbrook will win the NBA MVP award over James Harden (after considering 62/100 votes) 

Post#4 » by Augusto61 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:57 pm

Bill Pidto wrote:Image

This meme was posted too damn late.
Too lazy for a decent sig.
Shock Defeat
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,445
And1: 6,136
Joined: Aug 30, 2012
       

Re: Russell Westbrook will win the NBA MVP award over James Harden (after considering 62/100 votes) 

Post#5 » by Shock Defeat » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:59 pm

Harden got screwed twice for opposite reasons.

2015: Harden lost the MVP to Curry because Curry's team was better. Harden had the raw stats advantage and let's not act like the Rockets were nobodies, they were contenders as the #2 seed and division champs. Most of his team was garbage especially due to Dwight missing half the season. Harden carried that squad. No one cared that Curry's team was also stacked with the best bench in the NBA.

2017: Harden loses to Westbrook even though Westbrook's team is worse. We are talking about a sixth seed here, a non-contending team. Westbrook has better raw stats and apparently that's enough. Harden gets penalized for having more help yet nobody penalized Curry in 2015.
RaptorRed
Pro Prospect
Posts: 899
And1: 301
Joined: Jan 11, 2014
     

Re: Russell Westbrook will win the NBA MVP award over James Harden (after considering 62/100 votes) 

Post#6 » by RaptorRed » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:02 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:Harden got screwed twice for opposite reasons.

2015: Harden lost the MVP to Curry because Curry's team was better. Harden had the raw stats advantage and let's not act like the Rockets were nobodies, they were contenders as the #2 seed and division champs. Most of his team was garbage especially due to Dwight missing half the season. Harden carried that squad. No one cared that Curry's team was also stacked with the best bench in the NBA.

2017: Harden loses to Westbrook even though Westbrook's team is worse. We are talking about a sixth seed here, a non-contending team. Westbrook has better raw stats and apparently that's enough. Harden gets penalized for having more help yet nobody penalized Curry in 2015.


Yeah because the rockets are contenders this year right :lol:
"We're like Tim Duncan and David Robinson," Villanueva said, following the team's morning shootaround at the America West Arena. "But a younger version. I really feel that."
Gil
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,799
And1: 403
Joined: Feb 15, 2012

Re: Russell Westbrook will win the NBA MVP award over James Harden (after considering 62/100 votes) 

Post#7 » by Gil » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:04 pm

RaptorRed wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:Harden got screwed twice for opposite reasons.

2015: Harden lost the MVP to Curry because Curry's team was better. Harden had the raw stats advantage and let's not act like the Rockets were nobodies, they were contenders as the #2 seed and division champs. Most of his team was garbage especially due to Dwight missing half the season. Harden carried that squad. No one cared that Curry's team was also stacked with the best bench in the NBA.

2017: Harden loses to Westbrook even though Westbrook's team is worse. We are talking about a sixth seed here, a non-contending team. Westbrook has better raw stats and apparently that's enough. Harden gets penalized for having more help yet nobody penalized Curry in 2015.


Yeah because the rockets are contenders this year right :lol:


Says the Raptors fan.
Shock Defeat
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,445
And1: 6,136
Joined: Aug 30, 2012
       

Re: Russell Westbrook will win the NBA MVP award over James Harden (after considering 62/100 votes) 

Post#8 » by Shock Defeat » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:05 pm

RaptorRed wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:Harden got screwed twice for opposite reasons.

2015: Harden lost the MVP to Curry because Curry's team was better. Harden had the raw stats advantage and let's not act like the Rockets were nobodies, they were contenders as the #2 seed and division champs. Most of his team was garbage especially due to Dwight missing half the season. Harden carried that squad. No one cared that Curry's team was also stacked with the best bench in the NBA.

2017: Harden loses to Westbrook even though Westbrook's team is worse. We are talking about a sixth seed here, a non-contending team. Westbrook has better raw stats and apparently that's enough. Harden gets penalized for having more help yet nobody penalized Curry in 2015.


Yeah because the rockets are contenders this year right :lol:

3rd best record in the NBA...
RaptorRed
Pro Prospect
Posts: 899
And1: 301
Joined: Jan 11, 2014
     

Re: Russell Westbrook will win the NBA MVP award over James Harden (after considering 62/100 votes) 

Post#9 » by RaptorRed » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:06 pm

Gil wrote:
RaptorRed wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:Harden got screwed twice for opposite reasons.

2015: Harden lost the MVP to Curry because Curry's team was better. Harden had the raw stats advantage and let's not act like the Rockets were nobodies, they were contenders as the #2 seed and division champs. Most of his team was garbage especially due to Dwight missing half the season. Harden carried that squad. No one cared that Curry's team was also stacked with the best bench in the NBA.

2017: Harden loses to Westbrook even though Westbrook's team is worse. We are talking about a sixth seed here, a non-contending team. Westbrook has better raw stats and apparently that's enough. Harden gets penalized for having more help yet nobody penalized Curry in 2015.


Yeah because the rockets are contenders this year right :lol:


Says the Raptors fan.


Raptors aren't contenders but atleast i can admit it ...
"We're like Tim Duncan and David Robinson," Villanueva said, following the team's morning shootaround at the America West Arena. "But a younger version. I really feel that."
RaptorRed
Pro Prospect
Posts: 899
And1: 301
Joined: Jan 11, 2014
     

Re: Russell Westbrook will win the NBA MVP award over James Harden (after considering 62/100 votes) 

Post#10 » by RaptorRed » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:07 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:
RaptorRed wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:Harden got screwed twice for opposite reasons.

2015: Harden lost the MVP to Curry because Curry's team was better. Harden had the raw stats advantage and let's not act like the Rockets were nobodies, they were contenders as the #2 seed and division champs. Most of his team was garbage especially due to Dwight missing half the season. Harden carried that squad. No one cared that Curry's team was also stacked with the best bench in the NBA.

2017: Harden loses to Westbrook even though Westbrook's team is worse. We are talking about a sixth seed here, a non-contending team. Westbrook has better raw stats and apparently that's enough. Harden gets penalized for having more help yet nobody penalized Curry in 2015.


Yeah because the rockets are contenders this year right :lol:

3rd best record in the NBA...


So they have a shot at the title ? You really believe that ?
"We're like Tim Duncan and David Robinson," Villanueva said, following the team's morning shootaround at the America West Arena. "But a younger version. I really feel that."
leolozon
Rookie
Posts: 1,241
And1: 777
Joined: Nov 08, 2009

Re: Russell Westbrook will win the NBA MVP award over James Harden (after considering 62/100 votes) 

Post#11 » by leolozon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:07 pm

Two guys who pretty much only play offense. One leads the 2nd best offense, one leads the 16th best offense...

I think it's a mistake, but it was expected.
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 23,963
And1: 4,263
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Russell Westbrook will win the NBA MVP award over James Harden (after considering 62/100 votes) 

Post#12 » by 76ciology » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:07 pm

Take that for data
Twitter: Pjeffersonlim|Rebuilding the Sixers has been my battle cry since 2002|
Shock Defeat
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,445
And1: 6,136
Joined: Aug 30, 2012
       

Re: Russell Westbrook will win the NBA MVP award over James Harden (after considering 62/100 votes) 

Post#13 » by Shock Defeat » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:11 pm

RaptorRed wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:
RaptorRed wrote:
Yeah because the rockets are contenders this year right :lol:

3rd best record in the NBA...


So they have a shot at the title ? You really believe that ?

How about I phrase it this way, the Rockets are an elite team with an elite record. To me any team that is elite is a contender. The Thunder are a marginal subpar team.
RaptorRed
Pro Prospect
Posts: 899
And1: 301
Joined: Jan 11, 2014
     

Re: Russell Westbrook will win the NBA MVP award over James Harden (after considering 62/100 votes) 

Post#14 » by RaptorRed » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:14 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:
RaptorRed wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:3rd best record in the NBA...


So they have a shot at the title ? You really believe that ?

How about I phrase it this way, the Rockets are an elite team with an elite record. To me any team that is elite is a contender. The Thunder are a marginal subpar team.


You're just phrasing how you want to phrase it to improve your point for Harden MVP. A contender is a team that has a realistic chance at winning the title , in the NBA a random team cannot win the title , it's impossible in a 7 game series the better team always wins unless a freak injury happens. Now , do the rockets have any sort of chance of winning the title ? the answer is no, even if they somehow beat the spurs , they still have to beat the warriors and cavs. This is impossible. They are not a contender.
"We're like Tim Duncan and David Robinson," Villanueva said, following the team's morning shootaround at the America West Arena. "But a younger version. I really feel that."
mtron929
Veteran
Posts: 2,979
And1: 2,059
Joined: Jan 01, 2014

Re: Russell Westbrook will win the NBA MVP award over James Harden (after considering 62/100 votes) 

Post#15 » by mtron929 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:15 pm

Harden and Westbrook are both far inferior to Lebron. I just don't like it when the best of the best are not rewarded. It sends a bad message.
OsuCavsfan103
Veteran
Posts: 2,725
And1: 2,399
Joined: Jul 06, 2014
Location: Ohio
       

Re: Russell Westbrook will win the NBA MVP award over James Harden (after considering 62/100 votes) 

Post#16 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:17 pm

I personally would put Westbrook 4th behind LeBron, Kawhi, and Harden....

Time to change the name of the trophy, have one for "MVP" and one for "Best Regular Season".
Cleeeeveland this is for you!
User avatar
laploutocratie
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,453
And1: 10,900
Joined: Aug 16, 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
     

Re: Russell Westbrook will win the NBA MVP award over James Harden (after considering 62/100 votes) 

Post#17 » by laploutocratie » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:17 pm

Best player in the league should be getting the award, just stupid.
Image
Shock Defeat
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,445
And1: 6,136
Joined: Aug 30, 2012
       

Re: Russell Westbrook will win the NBA MVP award over James Harden (after considering 62/100 votes) 

Post#18 » by Shock Defeat » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:24 pm

RaptorRed wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:
RaptorRed wrote:
So they have a shot at the title ? You really believe that ?

How about I phrase it this way, the Rockets are an elite team with an elite record. To me any team that is elite is a contender. The Thunder are a marginal subpar team.


You're just phrasing how you want to phrase it to improve your point for Harden MVP. A contender is a team that has a realistic chance at winning the title , in the NBA a random team cannot win the title , it's impossible in a 7 game series the better team always wins unless a freak injury happens. Now , do the rockets have any sort of chance of winning the title ? the answer is no, even if they somehow beat the spurs , they still have to beat the warriors and cavs. This is impossible. They are not a contender.

And your definition is way more subjective than mine. You can make an argument that no team is a contender outside of GS this year. In any given year you could exclude 29 teams from being a "contender" if you think that there is a favorite for the title.

I'd rather stick with a simple definition, is the team elite or not? If you're elite, you're a contender.
User avatar
xxSnEaKyPxx
General Manager
Posts: 9,020
And1: 2,941
Joined: Jun 02, 2007
Contact:

Re: Russell Westbrook will win the NBA MVP award over James Harden (after considering 62/100 votes) 

Post#19 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:24 pm

So when Durant said his teammates were the real MVP, he was just seeing the future? 0_0
Partnered Twitch Streamer - http://www.twitch.tv/xxsneakypxx

Come hang oat with me sometime!
OsuCavsfan103
Veteran
Posts: 2,725
And1: 2,399
Joined: Jul 06, 2014
Location: Ohio
       

Re: Russell Westbrook will win the NBA MVP award over James Harden (after considering 62/100 votes) 

Post#20 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:27 pm

Westbrook is shooting 34%, 22% from 3, and averaging 6.5 TO's in his 0-2 series vs Rockets. I am sorry I cannot ignore him failing in the big time just like he did last year vs GS, especially the last 2 games there. I know that last year shouldn't impact his MVP this year, but the point is once again he is having a poor playoffs.
Cleeeeveland this is for you!

Return to The General Board