Do NBA players watch the playoffs?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Do NBA players watch the playoffs? 

Post#1 » by 13th Man » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:11 pm

I've always wondered this. The players that aren't in the playoffs or get eliminated, what do you think they do during the playoffs? Are they spending their valuable free time golfing, fishing, partying or on vacation with their families? Or do they kick back, anticipate and enjoy the games on their gigantic home theatres with their friends?

I'm sure they all watch a ton of basketball growing up but what about now that they've made it big? I'm thinking that many would be pretty sick of basketball that they don't even bother watching. Thoughts?
HeartBreaking
Starter
And1: 2,313

Re: Do NBA players watch the playoffs? 

Post#2 » by HeartBreaking » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:15 pm

13th Man wrote:I've always wondered this. The players that aren't in the playoffs or get eliminated, what do you think they do during the playoffs? Are they spending their valuable free time golfing, fishing, partying or on vacation with their families? Or do they kick back, anticipate and enjoy the games on their gigantic home theatres with their friends?

I'm sure they all watch a ton of basketball growing up but what about now that they've made it big? I'm thinking that many would be pretty sick of basketball that they don't even bother watching. Thoughts?

they are humans just like everyone else, if they are a fan of the nba they will watch. Plus these days they can easily watch the games while vacationing.
PaulieWal wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:He's going to get fined by the league for that. Marv Albert was actually saying don't do that, don't do that. Meanwhile half the audience was thinking Marv should know.

That's Kevin Harlan.
Wagonband
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,191

Post#3 » by Wagonband » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:16 pm

Of course they watch it. At least 95% of them does. You don't get to the 0,01 procentile of elite basketball players if you don't have the love for the game for your entire life. And the playoffs are the highlights of that life, with or without themselves.
Gary Cokeman
Pro Prospect
And1: 3,387

Post#4 » by Gary Cokeman » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:19 pm

I seen the Raptors locker room watching the game... but then there's people like Westbrook tho, that say he doesn't watch any basketball.
My Teams Always Suck.
shanghaifanzi
Senior
And1: 796

Post#5 » by shanghaifanzi » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:22 pm

i don't know about anyone else but i'm sure Kobe while he's active as player he didn't watch any NBA playoffs game after his team got eliminated
RaptorRed
Rookie
And1: 472

Post#6 » by RaptorRed » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:25 pm

13th Man wrote:I've always wondered this. The players that aren't in the playoffs or get eliminated, what do you think they do during the playoffs? Are they spending their valuable free time golfing, fishing, partying or on vacation with their families? Or do they kick back, anticipate and enjoy the games on their gigantic home theatres with their friends?

what would you do in their place ? that should answer your question
"We're like Tim Duncan and David Robinson," Villanueva said, following the team's morning shootaround at the America West Arena. "But a younger version. I really feel that."
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,951

Post#7 » by Shock Defeat » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:29 pm

I'm pretty sure most of them are chilling at the beach or something and are busy partying it up instead of watching the Playoffs.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Post#8 » by bmurph128 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:32 pm

I'm guessing they wouldn't watch much, maybe just the finals. Or maybe elimination games.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,243

Post#9 » by Statlanta » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:36 pm

Derrick Rose, Bismack Biyombo and Kevin Durant have been seen going to games.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,975

Post#10 » by RCM88x » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:37 pm

I know that Kenny and Shaq don't, Kenny especially, dude has no clue what he's talking about.

Active players? Sure, I'm sure a higher number do than average people, but they certainly don't all sit there with a clipboard and pencil.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
DirtybirdGA
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,863

Post#11 » by DirtybirdGA » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:24 pm

Several of them do, I used to go to Slamonline, and they had twitter responses to the games or moments from the games.
Where the offseason has more buzz happens.
xfactor
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,592

Post#12 » by xfactor » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:33 pm

RCM88x wrote:I know that Kenny and Shaq don't, Kenny especially, dude has no clue what he's talking about.....

And no mention of Charles? :lol:
Tiesto_Lakers
Analyst
And1: 4,154

Post#13 » by Tiesto_Lakers » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:37 pm

shanghaifanzi wrote:i don't know about anyone else but i'm sure Kobe while he's active as player he didn't watch any NBA playoffs game after his team got eliminated

Kobe lies when he says he doesn't watch basketball at home. He admitted to it.

Just like when he lied when he said "Who?" during Linsanity.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,975

Post#14 » by RCM88x » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:41 pm

xfactor wrote:
RCM88x wrote:I know that Kenny and Shaq don't, Kenny especially, dude has no clue what he's talking about.....

And no mention of Charles? :lol:

Charles definitely watches a majority... Did you see the time lapse of him they showed the other night? However I think he's just dumb most of the time.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,544

Post#15 » by sp6r=underrated » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:29 pm

I doubt most active players watch the games once they are eliminated. I'd imagine watching basketball is fairly dull to most of these guys considering how much time they spending in the video room.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,317

Post#16 » by Clyde Frazier » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:59 pm

Sites like hoopshype, slam, dime, etc. tend to do roundups of players reacting to major playoff games on twitter. Really couldn't venture a guess percentage-wise, but yeah there's definitely a segment who watch a lot of the games. Crawford and Jennings are 2 who come to mind, although both are still in the playoffs right now.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#17 » by nolang1 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:34 pm

I would venture it's a very small percentage who are watching multiple games a night or anything like that, but most players would at least have a friend or former teammate they're keeping tabs on.
KobeBryant24
Veteran
And1: 2,167

Post#18 » by KobeBryant24 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:55 pm

Tiesto_Lakers wrote:
shanghaifanzi wrote:i don't know about anyone else but i'm sure Kobe while he's active as player he didn't watch any NBA playoffs game after his team got eliminated

Kobe lies when he says he doesn't watch basketball at home. He admitted to it.

Just like when he lied when he said "Who?" during Linsanity.

Linsanity? Never heard of her
HotTubMike
Veteran
And1: 4,166

Post#19 » by HotTubMike » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:23 am

Well I saw Derrick Rose was courtside at one of Bulls games in Chicago so... I guess he does.

Return to The General Board