[2017 NBA Draft Discussion] - (1: PHI, 2: LAL, 3: BOS)!

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,145

Re: Boston Celtics officially land best odds of #1 pick 

Post#21 » by DarkAzcura » Sat Apr 8, 2017 1:36 pm

Cappy_Smurf wrote:
pr0wler wrote:
Rapaz wrote:Image

There's that cheap attempt at And1's on the first page!

And the subsequent attempt at and1s for pointing it out.

Nothing against Boston, but my dream draft would have them getting bumped to 4th and the Lakers losing their pick. That would be swell.

That's fine. I think most Celtic fans who are paying attention to the draft would be ok with anyone in the top 4. Heck I probably have Tatum number 2, and he will probably be available at 4 so whatever honestly.
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#22 » by TMU » Sat Apr 8, 2017 1:40 pm

Whatever the hell the Celtics can scrap out of the Nets. The right to swap draft picks? :lol: How visionary.

I wonder how Billy King feels about this outcome. Someone needs to interview him.
Cassalien
Sophomore
And1: 98

Post#23 » by Cassalien » Sat Apr 8, 2017 1:45 pm

Bolivar wrote:Now all they need is an actual super star.

And in addition to that, Celtics fans have to hope that LeBrons game will fall off a cliff
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#24 » by Ballerhogger » Sat Apr 8, 2017 1:53 pm

The nba lottery is going be crazy top 3 . WOW!!!!!!!
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#25 » by Spens1 » Sat Apr 8, 2017 2:03 pm

Billy King needs to be blackballed from the nba and potentially the sport of basketball for this. How the hell do you trade that many first round picks for an ageing Celtics crew
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,052

Post#26 » by Dogen » Sat Apr 8, 2017 2:29 pm

Spens1 wrote:Billy King needs to be blackballed from the nba and potentially the sport of basketball for this. How the hell do you trade that many first round picks for an ageing Celtics crew

Ours is not to reason why... 'specially if you're a Celtics fan.
Hey you! Can we come together?
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,137

Post#27 » by Froob » Sat Apr 8, 2017 2:46 pm

Cassalien wrote:

And in addition to that, Celtics fans have to hope that LeBrons game will fall off a cliff

Building the next super team, we outta peak in like five years when LeBron is 37. Thank god we didn't trade all these for Butler.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Shamrock
Head Coach
And1: 5,060

Post#28 » by Shamrock » Sat Apr 8, 2017 2:46 pm

Cassalien wrote:

Agreed, we are screwed. These draft picks are completely useless
Renegade_H
Senior
And1: 302

Re: RE: Re: Boston Celtics officially land best odds of #1 pick 

Post#29 » by Renegade_H » Sat Apr 8, 2017 3:51 pm

Shamrock wrote:
Cassalien wrote:

Agreed, we are screwed. These draft picks are completely useless

This is why I fail to see how everyone bashed Hinkie for a tank. No one is gonna win it all with Lebron still playing well. But if you develop top talent and form a team capable of good defense and elite scoring skills, you can take down the giant.

Sixers are missing one more piece to our cog. An off ball pg who can shoot and defend. Really want Monk or Jackson in this draft. Maybe if we are lucky, we can get both!

Sent from my SM-G928V using RealGM mobile app
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,534

Re: RE: Re: Boston Celtics officially land best odds of #1 pick 

Post#30 » by sp6r=underrated » Sat Apr 8, 2017 4:06 pm

Renegade_H wrote:No one is gonna win it all with Lebron still playing well. But if you develop top talent and form a team capable of good defense and elite scoring skills, you can take down the giant.

The second sentence contradicts the first.

Sixers are missing one more piece to our cog. An off ball pg who can shoot and defend. Really want Monk or Jackson in this draft. Maybe if we are lucky, we can get both!

Sixers are nearly a negative 6 SRS. They still have a lot of problems. The biggest being the only player who has shown franchise potential has only played 31 games through his 3rd season.

This is why I fail to see how everyone bashed Hinkie for a tank.

Well there were several different lines of complaint
Argument 1: Tanking doesn't work. I disagree with this. If you are willing to do the following:
Gut the roster of talent
lose indefinitely.
Redshirt rookies.
Trade any decent player you stumble on for picks

You will have a decent core after 7-8 unless you are completely foolish or have terrible luck at the draft.

Argument 2: Tanking only guarantees a low 50 win team. I think this is basically correct. On a long enough timeline tanking would ensure you'll avoid the 45 win zone if you are competent. Even if you're willing to tank you could end up getting the Webbers or Elton Brands with a top pick rather than a Lebron or Shaq. Those players will help you win games and get you out of the lottery. But even they are a full level below the top guys.

Argument 3: Tanking is bad for the sport. This was my position and others. Basketball is inherently anti-parity. Most teams will not have one season were they have a shot at a title over 3-4 year span. If all the non-contenders decided to gut their roster the league would be unwatchable. The league can't survive if only the bottom 6-7 teams started pulling a Hinkie.

The league needs teams to give the appearance of trying. Appearance does matter in entertainment which is what basketball is. Hinkie didn't even try to front.

That is why the owners and Silver forced Hinkie out.
mtron929
Head Coach
And1: 5,269

Post#31 » by mtron929 » Sat Apr 8, 2017 4:10 pm

robbie84 wrote:Lakers win and Suns win and that seals it.

Pretty amazing few years for the Celtics GM Danny Ainge.
-gets Isaiah Thomas for nothing.
-gets Jae Crowder for expiring Rondo and scraps.
-gets Jaylen Brown with 3rd pick from Brooklyn.
-gets 2017 best odds of #1 pick (guaranteed top 4)
-gets 2018 Nets first round pick unprotected.
-signed Brad Stevens to long term deal.

team scrapes it's way to 50 wins, one of the best teams in the East, with cap room for another 2 max players if the right cards are shuffled- with other assets.

He's set up the C's for a very, very nice future. Still a way to go but he's done an amazing job getting them to this point from the KG/Pierce trade.

Anyway, just hope Mr. Ainge gets recognition he deserves.

The above post also makes you realize how important having one superstar is in basketball. That is, the Celtics had so many things that went right for them, but all of these things accumulated is not greater than just having one Lebron James. Really, this is a sport where one transcendent superstar trumps all.
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,313

Post#32 » by Infinite Llamas » Sat Apr 8, 2017 4:17 pm

Danny Ainge to the competition

Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,534

Post#33 » by sp6r=underrated » Sat Apr 8, 2017 5:23 pm

utterly ridiculous he got away with that when the announcers were calling for a t on Ellie for shouting
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#34 » by Goudelock » Sat Apr 8, 2017 5:32 pm

Infinite Llamas wrote:Danny Ainge to the competition

He had a better throwing motion than Tebow.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#35 » by dballislife » Sat Apr 8, 2017 5:33 pm

man boston might get 3 top 3 picks on a row...for 1 year of pierce at 37, and 2 years of kg at 37 and 38...dam lol
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#36 » by Prokorov » Sat Apr 8, 2017 6:10 pm

Senior wrote:Billy King making his run to the worst GM of all time spot, pretty close between him and Stepien atm

its billy king and its not close.

the boston trade wasnt even his worst trade.
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,371

Post#37 » by phanman » Sat Apr 8, 2017 6:14 pm

Infinite Llamas wrote:Danny Ainge to the competition

HAHAHAH that clip got me laughing, they way Barkley reacts is just gold :lol: :lol:
hellla
Senior
And1: 91

Post#38 » by hellla » Sat Apr 8, 2017 6:16 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
Rapaz wrote:Image

Nothing like celebrating a great day wit a 40 year old chick that dresses and talks like she's twelve, make sure to save this one for the same time next year.

Next stop the draft lottery..

^this is the worst post I've seen on RealGM this month. Good job :lol:
bandwagon warriors fan since 2005
"Steph Curry is like the police. You could put your hands up, but he's still shootin!" - Athletic Alchemy
TheDavinciCHODE
Sixth Man
And1: 1,860

Post#39 » by TheDavinciCHODE » Sat Apr 8, 2017 6:18 pm

Really love how Ainge has helped the C's and what he's done with the organization

As for the BKN picks, though, I think we need to really take into account just how much Prohorov had to do with it all. Public guarantees and public support of trading for those players, etc. Ainge definitely did well to fleece them for as much as possible, but the move was bad on BKN's part as it was good on Boston's part.

The rest has been amazing for them. I particularly like how he didn't jump the gun and go for Butler or PG with the lotto pick this season. I was in favor of a deal at the time, but realize now how bad it would've been. Ainge has no reason to make a move. He's sitting on a 50 win team that's probably the 6-7th best team in the league right now and the rights to the first pick in the draft it seems and a boat load of space.

Boston did well to not go all in right now. They can get Fultz, see what he is, and then make a move from a position of strength when acquiring PG or JB will take less of a deal beause they're closer to free agency. Brilliant move on his part. Plus, if Fultz is the real deal, then he'll have isaiah to trade, too.....Boston is in control.

What's crazy to me is how good the team is and then thinking that their ceiling as a franchise probably involves few to none of their key pieces right now.

The core of their serious contending squad could easily end up being Markel Fultz/Paul George/Avery Bradley/ and their 2018 pick.....with Isaiah, crowder, horford all being moved in trades.

Hard not to see their ceiling being best with a dynamic point guar and wing + a defensive anchor at center.

Boston has so many options and hasn't rushed to pick one. Great management all around.
CelticSooner
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,292

Post#40 » by CelticSooner » Sat Apr 8, 2017 6:26 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Senior wrote:Billy King making his run to the worst GM of all time spot, pretty close between him and Stepien atm

its billy king and its not close.

the boston trade wasnt even his worst trade.

If you weren't so dead set on getting a title so quickly would Billy have made such a lopsided trade?
“Why would I need a wheelchair if I pooped my pants?"

Return to The General Board