The Cavs put the nail in the coffin on the regular season

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

VinBaker6
RealGM
And1: 61,808

The Cavs put the nail in the coffin on the regular season 

Post#1 » by VinBaker6 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:23 pm

The Cavs look like they will sweep their way to the finals. All of the regular season indicators had them struggling somewhat to make the finals. They were terrible defensively and simply didn't care. They had everyone convinced they had legitimate issues. The fact that they flipped the switch so easily shows how useless the regular season is. They could be 6th next season and as long as they are healthy they would and should be massive favorites.

S/O to TZ!
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,086

Re: The Cavs put the nail in the coffin on the regular season 

Post#2 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:24 pm

Spurs and the Heat both did this before the Cavs.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
oikosnomos
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,934

Post#3 » by oikosnomos » Fri May 19, 2017 5:25 pm

VinBaker6 wrote:The Cavs look like they will sweep their way to the finals. All of the regular season indicators had them struggling somewhat to make the finals. They were terrible defensively and simply didn't care. They had everyone convinced they had legitimate issues. The fact that they flipped the switch so easily shows how useless the regular season is. They could be 6th next season and as long as they are healthy they would and should be massive favorites.

It is for this Cavs team. Lebron is large part of that since the teams success mostly hinges on how he plays. But 99% of teams cannot do this or have this approach.
OsuCavsfan103
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,047

Post#4 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:26 pm

VinBaker6 wrote:The Cavs look like they will sweep their way to the finals. All of the regular season indicators had them struggling somewhat to make the finals. They were terrible defensively and simply didn't care. They had everyone convinced they had legitimate issues. The fact that they flipped the switch so easily shows how useless the regular season is. They could be 6th next season and as long as they are healthy they would and should be massive favorites.

I was never convinced of anything. I have been saying for quite sometime call me worried if they are doing this in the playoffs. We told you LeBron is merely resting up, and as the clear team leader, other are going to follow his lead on this, especially after the pressure being off due to a title finally.

It's just like last year when everyone was crowning Curry and call him the best in the NBA. Here I was telling you LeBron is still king and he will show it. He did, and that debate ended. Yet people fell for CLE's issue this year, it was like the same dang argument lol.

People can tell me I am biased, or a GS hater (I admittedly am) or whatever they please, but they cannot tell me I didn't say this all along lol. A few others did as well, but it seems mostly only Cavs fans were telling you this was going to happen.
dynamic duo
Analyst
And1: 10,486

Post#5 » by dynamic duo » Fri May 19, 2017 5:27 pm

tyronn lue was right when he told the media that he has a secret defensive plan for the playoffs/finals and everyone laughted at him when they were struggling in regular season. one part of the plan is to play lebron 46+ minutes a game.
VinBaker6
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: The Cavs put the nail in the coffin on the regular season 

Post#6 » by VinBaker6 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:28 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Spurs and the Heat both did this before the Cavs.

The Spurs had OKC to go through and some other strong West teams. The Heat had a few rough patches with Indiana, it was no cake walk. We haven't seen dominance like this from two teams in quite some time and it's not good for the league.

S/O to TZ!
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: RE: Re: The Cavs put the nail in the coffin on the regular season 

Post#7 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:30 pm

VinBaker6 wrote:

The Spurs had OKC to go through and some other strong West teams. The Heat had a few rough patches with Indiana, it was no cake walk. We haven't seen dominance like this from two teams in quite some time and it's not good for the league.

I'm just saying both of those teams played the regular season with the post season in mind.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
otwok
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,327

Post#8 » by otwok » Fri May 19, 2017 5:31 pm

a lot of it is the quality or the lack of quality of the league. You have one or two teams that are so far ahead in their conferences it really doesn't matter. Teams lack talent and quality.
VinBaker6
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: The Cavs put the nail in the coffin on the regular season 

Post#9 » by VinBaker6 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:32 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
VinBaker6 wrote:

I'm just saying both of those teams played the regular season with the post season in mind.

That's true. But what I'm getting at is net rating, offensive/defensive efficiency etc are all useless if one team has LeBron and shooters on it. All those regular season indicators don't mean a thing.

S/O to TZ!
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#10 » by bleeds_purple » Fri May 19, 2017 5:35 pm

This doesn't apply to every team. The Cavs are a group of veterans with experience. You can only trivialize the regular season once you've been there and done that and earned your stripes.

Veteran teams have been doing this for decades. Its nothing new.
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,720

Post#11 » by G35 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:36 pm

OsuCavsfan103 wrote:

I was never convinced of anything. I have been saying for quite sometime call me worried if they are doing this in the playoffs. We told you LeBron is merely resting up, and as the clear team leader, other are going to follow his lead on this, especially after the pressure being off due to a title finally.

It's just like last year when everyone was crowning Curry and call him the best in the NBA. Here I was telling you LeBron is still king and he will show it. He did, and that debate ended. Yet people fell for CLE's issue this year, it was like the same dang argument lol.

People can tell me I am biased, or a GS hater (I admittedly am) or whatever they please, but they cannot tell me I didn't say this all along lol. A few others did as well, but it seems mostly only Cavs fans were telling you this was going to happen.

You can only say this when the outcome is positive. Yes they have been saying this for a while, but after 2015 no one said this was a great idea. It is only when the desired outcome happens that the "I told you so" is valid. Its like I heard on the Mike and Mike show that Lebron had a private conversation with Kevin Love before G1 and Lebron said right then he knew Kevin was going to have a good game. That only comes out if Kevin has a good game. Otherwise why doesn't Lebron have a conversation with Kevin before every game to ensure the positive result.

Everyone has 20/20 hindsight, results are all that matters......
I'm so tired of the typical......
MastermindLV
Senior
And1: 822

Post#12 » by MastermindLV » Fri May 19, 2017 5:37 pm

Exactly why KD joined the Warriors. Equal the playing field
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,135

Post#13 » by Froob » Fri May 19, 2017 5:37 pm

I'm not shocked lol. I can't believe people are surprised they breezed through the East again. LeBron's teams have dogged it for like 4 years now in the regular season.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:40 pm

VinBaker6 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
VinBaker6 wrote:The Spurs had OKC to go through and some other strong West teams. The Heat had a few rough patches with Indiana, it was no cake walk. We haven't seen dominance like this from two teams in quite some time and it's not good for the league.

That's true. But what I'm getting at is net rating, offensive/defensive efficiency etc are all useless if one team has LeBron and shooters on it. All those regular season indicators don't mean a thing.

Well if we're being objective, the Celitcs really aren't as good as a typical No. 1 seed. They played harder than most teams every single regular season game. Their record against elite teams wasn't very good. Regular season indicators, like advanced stats, need to be compared to the eye test and other data.

Conversely, the Pacers weren't as bad as a typical seven seed.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
BleedGreen1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,776

Post#15 » by BleedGreen1989 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:45 pm

Yeah, hardly the first vet contender to coast the regular season and turn it on in the playoffs.
plainballing
Head Coach
And1: 1,590

Post#16 » by plainballing » Fri May 19, 2017 6:04 pm

That's why Pops never worries about regular season record as long as the time consistently practice the way Pops wanted the Spurs to play and everyone is healthy.
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/lillehammer/Turbo_Zone_Little_Ozzy_Davis.jpg
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,720

Post#17 » by G35 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:23 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
VinBaker6 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Well if we're being objective, the Celitcs really aren't as good as a typical No. 1 seed. They played harder than most teams every single regular season game. Their record against elite teams wasn't very good. Regular season indicators, like advanced stats, need to be compared to the eye test and other data.

Conversely, the Pacers weren't as bad as a typical seven seed.

I agree with your analysis. We do put too much emphasis on the RS from the aspect that some teams "want it" more than other teams. Therefore, teams that are "trying" harder may get better RS results which will not carryover to the PS.

This is one of my arguments against KG...he played hard every game, so when the PS came around he did not have that 6th gear to power his teams in the PS. Because, we all know star power is what wins in the PS. Just because you can play hard vs the scrubs of the league doesn't mean anything in the playoffs......
I'm so tired of the typical......
yesh
Rookie
And1: 1,864

Post#18 » by yesh » Fri May 19, 2017 6:45 pm

dynamic duo wrote:tyronn lue was right when he told the media that he has a secret defensive plan for the playoffs/finals and everyone laughted at him when they were struggling in regular season. one part of the plan is to play lebron 46+ minutes a game.

One part of the plan? The only part! King PED.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,373

Post#19 » by JonFromVA » Fri May 19, 2017 6:54 pm

I disagree with your premise.

Nothing happened in the regular season to lead me to believe the Cavaliers couldn't handle the Raptors, Celtics, and Pacers. Yes, the Raptors added some help, and the Celtics have improved, and the Cavaliers were terrible on D; but what does that add up to? Maybe avoiding a sweep (like the Raptors did last season) before having to choose whether they preferred to be beaten by a 3pt barrage -or- ISO ball?

The problem is beating those teams, proves very little for the exact reason that their ill-equipped to stop what the Cavaliers do.

The only real test for the Cavaliers is overcoming boredom and whoever they're going to face in the finals.

The Spurs are on another level compared to the Celtics and and might challenge the Cavaliers ... yet they still pale talent-wise to the Warriors. So, it's a very similar situation. The only thing that can even threaten to stop the Warriors from coming out of the West is their own hubris.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,623

Post#20 » by Cappy_Smurf » Fri May 19, 2017 7:06 pm

MastermindLV wrote:Exactly why KD joined the Warriors. Equal the playing field

Nah, you guys were up 3-1 on LeBron and things very easily could have gone your way with the bounce of a ball or two. The playing field was already even.

KD joined the warriors because he's a sissy that quit on his team that was right there with 2 other teams on that level playing field.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"

Return to The General Board