LeBron James Has Had Better Teammates Than Any Superstar in NBA History

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,799

Re: LeBron James Has Had Better Teammates Than Any Superstar in NBA History 

Post#261 » by jc23 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:47 pm

in terms of hall of farmers (edit: "famers" lol) I would say magic and bird had the most help followed by lebron. But that is such a weird thing to catergorize. I will say lebron has had more then enough help since 2010. Sure he carried his teams at times during the last 7 years but what all time great hasn't had to.

It is my feeling that lebron has gotten the most ring chaser help of all time. The shaq lakers were the leader in this category before him. Ring chaser for me is a player past his prime but still a decent to good player who takes less at a chance to win a ring.

Truth is after the summer of 2010 everything changed in terms of superstar mindsets. From now on we will see more and more top 10 caliber players joining up to win titles.

I've said this before but if you removed the warriors from the equation all we would hear is how the cavs are the most ridiculously talent laden team in the league.
Be curious, Not judgmental
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#262 » by michaelm » Thu May 25, 2017 10:49 pm

Arman_tanzarian wrote:
Years with an All NBA teammate: Kobe 13, LeBron 4. Years with an All NBA First Team teammate: Kobe 6, LeBron 0. Playoff series' won without an All NBA teammate: Kobe 3, LeBron 18. I only use Kobe as a reference since OP seems to be a Kobe fan. I personally think none of this matters. Kobe is a great an consistently ranked 10-12 because of his play not who he played with be it the MDE or Smush. LeBron seems to fall in alot of people's top 5 - even as high as 2 for a good chunk of people.

Dude you can argue peak Shaq > Lebron, MJ himself. (I don't think so, just saying you can argue it)

This topic is funny though. Wade is the perfect example of these fans moving goal posts as quickly as possible. Wade, when compared to Kobe regressed really early, shell of his former self after 2011ish. Always injured. Can't shoot..... Lost his abilty when athleticism declined around that 2011/2012 time.

But when talking about LeBron dude was a top 5 player all time for LeBron's entire duration there. Like fam, we are watching a league where the top team has KD/Curry - the last 3 MVP's plus the current DPOY + Klay all at the absolute peaks of their careers and we are trying to say LeBron is playing on the best teammates?

Kyrie? Great player with huge flaws, far from the level KD/Curry is. Doesn't really even impact the game the way Dray does. Love? Another great player but he is no KD/Curry/Dray, heck he might not even be Klay.

Bargain bin senior citizen shooters/players like Korver, Frye, RJ, D-Will who can't guard thier own shadows. There is a reason that team only looks good when trapping vs actually being forced to play straight up.

Supposed Knick's throwaways in Shump and JR. Good players though. "Throw aways" was just the rhetoric at that said time.

I see LeBron, 2 all stars, a 6th man type of guy starting at SG, one above average but one-way player like TT and a bunch of fillers that any team can have. I am talking barely David West level dudes.

Let's use GSW and Cav but more specifically KD/LBJ as an example.

When GSW plays the cavs they'll start KD on Bron, throughout the game will switch Dray on him, then Klay and end a refresehed Iggy on a LeBron most likely playing 46ish out of 48 minutes.

Cavs will throw LeBron on KD..... who else? JR/Shump will be forced to guard KD because LeBron is more valuable off ball. Frye can't play in that series. Some say Love is a liabilty against the way their offense is structured. RJ is a fossil. You tell me which team looks like they have the upper hand on paper so far?

True about Wade as it eventuated, which is why I don't agree with the OP in regard to this thread, but he was a player of similar status to Curry except he was more 2 -way when the Miami team was formed, which is the point for me.

Sure LeBron deserves much credit for carrying Miami more than he or anyone else anticipated, but not for making a harder choice at the time he made his choice because of this, given Wade hadn't declined then.
goatdumker
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#263 » by goatdumker » Thu May 25, 2017 11:17 pm

Kobe has shaq

從我的iPhone使用RealGM Forums 發送
nbafan38
Head Coach
And1: 5,397

Post#264 » by nbafan38 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:22 pm

Uhm Lebron played with crap for his first 7 years. He's had good teams around him over the past 7 years.

KD has been on a stacked team every year since he has been in the league and is now on the most stacked team of all time.

Shaq was on fairly stacked teams the majority of his career
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,378

Post#265 » by phanman » Thu May 25, 2017 11:24 pm

andrewww wrote:
robbie84 wrote:lol.
I think most people would take Pippen and Rodman over Kyrie and Love.
Probably even over Wade and Bosh.

I also think Shaq and Kobe having each other are far more advantageous then having Kyrie and Love too.

You are completely wrong on this one buddy.

Pipppen and Rodman were better fits, but in a vacuum as a 1st option everyone would take ANY of Wade/Bosh/Kyrie/Love over Pippen/Rodman.

Lebron stans/misinformed posters sure love to move goal posts for him.

Your highly underrating Pippen and Rodman man. As a #1 option I'd take Pippen/Rodman over those two duos any day of the week. Somehow both Pippen and Wade have become underrated in this thread in every successive post. It is like people think MJ did it all alone and Wade was dead weight for the team. Pippen was good for 20/8/6 with elite defense and Wade himself was a 2-way player for 20/5/5.

Especially in Wade's case, you don't need to discredit his abilities to make LeBron look better..

2011 - 26.5pts, 7reb, 5.2at, 1.5stl, 1.5blks on 54.6%FG in the finals

2012 - 22.6pts, 6reb, 5.2ast, 1.4stl, 1.2blk on 43.5%FG in the finals

2013 - 19.6pts, 4reb, 4.6ast, 1.9stl, 1.6blk on 47.6FG% in the finals

2014 - 15.2pts, 3.8reb, 2.6ast, 1.6stl on 43.8%FG in the finals

Other than the final year, where San Antonio who was just on a mission, he more than carried his weight as the 2nd option for the team.
fansinceforever
Analyst
And1: 1,830

Post#266 » by fansinceforever » Thu May 25, 2017 11:25 pm

Why do people try so hard with obviously irrational arguments to discredit Lebron James? I stopped hating the guy a long time ago and it's made watching him so much more fun.

For the record, I liked watching Kobe and Jordan too. Just enjoy watching greatness and stop going out of your way to hate. History's already not and won't be on your side. The guy is incredible.... get over it.
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 17,715

Post#267 » by HotRocks34 » Fri May 26, 2017 12:06 am

Just wanted to add this anecdote from LeBron himself. I think he said it after Game 4 of the Celtics series, in the postgame presser. The question had to do with how good Kyrie is and how LeBron may need to adjust to that. The following is a paraphrase, but close to what was actually said.

REPORTER =====> LeBron, in your first couple of years in the league, you never really played with a star teammate whose game you had to adjust to...

LEBRON =======> First few years of my career, or the first seven years of my career?

:lol:

LeBron reading RealGM on his off days?

UPDATE: Here's the video. Question from the reporter starts at around 7:00 in. Reporter laughs because he realizes LeBron is correct.

** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the playoffs without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 17,715

Post#268 » by HotRocks34 » Fri May 26, 2017 12:19 am

Added video to the previous post so people can watch the reporter/LeBron exchange.
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the playoffs without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
KobeBryant24
Veteran
And1: 2,167

Post#269 » by KobeBryant24 » Fri May 26, 2017 12:31 am

CablexDeadpool wrote:Someone is salty... :lol:

Larry Bird and MJ easily has had better teammates than Lebron.

And Kobe played with the most dominant player possibly in NBA history.

What is he being salty of ? A losing record in the finals after hand picking team? Theres no need for the salt
chrispak98
Sophomore
And1: 128

Post#270 » by chrispak98 » Fri May 26, 2017 12:32 am

Tiesto_Lakers wrote:I'll take a prime Wade and Bosh over Shaquille O'Neal any day of the week. Shaq always came into camp out of shape, couldn't finish games because teams would foul him, and generally was weak minded. We all know Kobe carried the Lakers down the stretch of games.

Kobe won 2 rings with Gasol and an injury-rittled Andrew Bynum. LeBron had Dwyane Wade and prime Chris Bosh and they still lost to the Mavericks with home court advantage.

Put LeBron on an average roster and they'd probably lose in the second round in the East.

Dude, just quit it.
chrispak98
Sophomore

Post#271 » by chrispak98 » Fri May 26, 2017 12:35 am

How is anyone taking this post seriously? It was clearly made by a troll who wants to piss people off, either that or he is autistic.

He straight up said that if you put LeBron on an average roster, they would lose in the 2nd round in the EAST.

Honestly, this forum is starting to go to ****. I know freedom of speech is important and what not, but posts like these should be instantly deleted. His agenda is VERY clear and not even skip Bayless would try to use MO WILLIAMS and JAMiSON to diminish LeBron.

**** ridiclous

Learn to participate without attacking and insulting other posters, please.

- Sammy
chrispak98
Sophomore

Kobe Bryant has had better teammates than any superstar in NBA History 

Post#272 » by chrispak98 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:00 am

Tiesto_Lakers wrote:You heard me.

LeBron has had a stacked roster for most of his career. It was bad at the beginning of his career, until about 2009. But the East was so weak in 2007 that he made the Finals. The Heat were coming to an end, as were the Pistons. LeBron took advantage of the worst Conference in NBA History. My rant doesn't stop there.

In 2009 and 2010 the Cavs' Front Office got hounded by fans for not giving him a better roster. Little do they know that his team wasn't even that bad. In 2009 Mo Williams was an all-star. In 2010, they acquired Shaq, who was a 2009 all-star and finally, Jamison, who was averaging 20 point per game at the time. Still, this wasn't enough for him to even get to the Finals.

Fast-forward to the summer of 2010 where the real fun begins. LeBron joins superstars Wade and Bosh - he wins 2 rings relatively easily, even though the Spurs were very close to victory in 2013.

The circus doesn't stop there either. In 2014, LeBron joins Cleveland to team up with superstar Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love. Cleveland runs the East easily for 5-7 years. Irving scored 42 points in a must-win game in 2017. No other superstar gets to have the priviledge of their "second option" scoring 40 points on any given night.

We know Kobe had Shaq in his younger years, but Kobe wasn't even in his prime yet. I'm perfectly comfortable saying Kobe only has 2 rings as the top-dog, which is more than LeBron would have if his only teammate was Gasol, an injury-rittled Bynum, and a mentally-weak Lamar Odom. I'll forget the fact that Kobe averaged 30, 7, and 6 in the 2001 Playoffs as a 22-year old.

You heard me.

Kobe has had a stacked roster for most of his career. He was gifted Shaq from the moment he was drafted into the league. All he did was airball shots and average 7 points a game his rookie year. TBH, if Kobe was on any other team but the Lakers, he wouldn't even get past the 2nd round.

In 2006 and 2007 the Lakers' Front Office got hounded by fans for not giving him a better roster. So Kobe threatened to leave the team. Little do they know that his team wasn't even that bad. In 2006, Odom was a superstar. In 2007, they acquired Fisher, who was a superstar because according to LeBron haters, clutch shots are all that matter (am i rite?)

Fast-forward to the winter of 2008 where the real fun begins. Kobe joins superstar Pau Gasol - he wins 2 rings relatively easily, even though the Celtics were very close to victory in 2010.

The circus doesn't stop there either. In 2010, superstar Ron Artest joins the Lakers. The Lakers are dominant, even as Kobe **** the bed in game 7 going 6-24.

We know LeBron had Daniel Gibson in his younger years, but LeBron wasn't even in his prime yet. I'm perfectly comfortable saying LeBron only has 3 rings as the top-dog, which is more than Kobe would have ever. I'll forget the fact that LeBron averaged 35, 9, and 8 in the 2009 Playoffs as a 24-year old
prejt
Junior
And1: 368

Re: Kobe Bryant has had better teammates than any superstar in NBA History 

Post#273 » by prejt » Fri May 26, 2017 1:08 am

you're so creative.
laploutocratie
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,273

Post#274 » by laploutocratie » Fri May 26, 2017 1:08 am

Steph Curry is playing with another MVP in his prime, and vice versa. And that's not even counting guys like KT and DG.
x XVII

6ixth_Man wrote:When I die, I want the Raptors to lower me into my grave, so they can let me down one last time
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,452

Post#275 » by bwgood77 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:10 am

chrispak98 wrote:How is anyone taking this post seriously? It was clearly made by a troll who wants to piss people off, either that or he is autistic.

He straight up said that if you put LeBron on an average roster, they would lose in the 2nd round in the EAST.

Honestly, this forum is starting to go to ****. I know freedom of speech is important and what not, but posts like these should be instantly deleted. His agenda is VERY clear and not even skip Bayless would try to use MO WILLIAMS and JAMiSON to diminish LeBron.

**** ridiclous

Learn to participate without attacking and insulting other posters, please.

- Sammy

In addition to what Sammy said, you don't need to backseat mod. I actually noticed this thread and definitely disagree with what the OP says, and even if it may seem ridiculous, this isn't the way to go about it.

The topic quickly generated discussion, so it was left open because people seemed to want to discuss it.

If you think the "this forum is starting to go to ****", don't make posts like this that make it worse.
chrispak98
Sophomore

Post#276 » by chrispak98 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:10 am

laploutocratie wrote:Steph Curry is playing with another MVP in his prime, and vice versa. And that's not even counting guys like KT and DG.

I don't believe anything I posted, lmao.

I like Kobe, Im just trying to show the hypocrisy behind people saying that mo williams and antawan jamison were superstars and that if LeBron was on any other team on the East, they would lose in the 2nd round.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,718

Post#277 » by 76thBearCub » Fri May 26, 2017 1:11 am

Gasol, Bynum, and Odom, do not rank real high on the list of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th's against the history of championship winning teams.
chrispak98
Sophomore

Post#278 » by chrispak98 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:13 am

76thBearCub wrote:Gasol, Bynum, and Odom, do not rank real high on the list of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th's against the history of championship winning teams.

You're right!

Daniel Gibson was a superstar, he saved LeBron's choking ass in 2007, if it wasn't for him, LeBron would be 3-8.

Lets not forget Larry Hughes, who was arguably the best defensive player of all-time, and Drew Gooden was just used poorly by LeBron because we all know LEBron is horrible at playing with big men.

Daniel Gibson, Larry Hughes, and Drew Gooden? How the **** did LeBron not win with that group. 3 superstar caliber players, smh
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,417

Post#279 » by TheGOATRises007 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:13 am

Just saw someone say they'd take prime Wade and Bosh over peak Shaq.

I'm done.

If Lebron had peak Shaq, they'd have to shut down the NBA.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,158

Post#280 » by YogurtProducer » Fri May 26, 2017 1:17 am

76thBearCub wrote:Gasol, Bynum, and Odom, do not rank real high on the list of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th's against the history of championship winning teams.

Maybe not. But when they are all on the same team at once it sure is more interesting. LBJ nearly won a ring with his 2nd best player being Matthew Dellevadova in the finals 2 years ago.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023

Return to The General Board