Is Lebron James the Tom Brady of basketball or Tim Duncan

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,252

Is Lebron James the Tom Brady of basketball or Tim Duncan 

Post#1 » by deneem4 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:51 am

Serious question
The stats can be correlated
The stories can be correlated

There's always a but for guys when comparing to Jordan so jus thinking of this era of sport superstars who can be compared to Brady or even Peyton (depending on how you guys feel about football)

And yes I know basketball is a two way game while football is one but I'm speaking more on image/game changing ability..

Also Kobe is an alternative
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
blvck
Sophomore
And1: 87

Re: Is Lebron James the Tom Brady of basketball or Tim Duncan 

Post#2 » by blvck » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:56 am

i would say lebron is more so tom brady only becuz ppl almost expect success from both of them every season superbowl or bust finals or bust and honestly for lebron if he dont win the ring ppl count it as a bust. peyton could come up short as much as he wanted and ppl wouldnt knock his greatness so thats more like duncan to me
Cyrusman122000
Analyst
And1: 2,919

Post#3 » by Cyrusman122000 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:59 am

Please never compare Lebron to Tom Brady. Duncan or Kobe is the Brady version of the NBA. Brady has only played for one team and one coach his while career. Lebron has been on 2 different teams soon to be 3 by next summer and has played for so many coaches it's not the same
Kobe or Duncan is a much better comparison to Brady
Lebron is more of a Peyton Manning
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,622

Post#4 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:04 am

Duncan.

Quiet externally, but vocal leader inside the team.
Puts the team first, and therefore everybody else has to.
Part of a program that is consistently successful over MANY years.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,252

Post#5 » by deneem4 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:14 am

See that's what I was thinking but Duncan glory is miniature compared to Brady even doe their story almos the same and lebron glory rivals Brady as top guy of the league especially after their last 2 championship wins...
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
mvpshaq32
Starter
And1: 2,265

Post#6 » by mvpshaq32 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:38 am

the only thing in common between Lebron and Brady is when it's clutch time, they both pass the ball to their teammates
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#7 » by Michael Lucky » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:51 am

Part of the story that makes Tom Brady is where he was drafted and the fact that he was a back up at Michigan. Hard to say that about LeBron or Duncan.

Curry has more in common with Brady.
Mich3006
Head Coach
And1: 3,682

Post#8 » by Mich3006 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:59 am

LeBron is more Randy Moss or Terrell Owens, can't see any comparison with Brady
Team LeBron
Sophomore
And1: 259

Post#9 » by Team LeBron » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:03 am

I'm pretty sure LeBron is LeBron James of basketball...
aaron_gray
Analyst
And1: 979

Post#10 » by aaron_gray » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:04 am

He doesn't have the coach though...
TyCobb wrote:Embiid at peak value after reaching a new maturity level.
Warriors07
Rookie
And1: 750

Post#11 » by Warriors07 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:37 am

mvpshaq32 wrote:the only thing in common between Lebron and Brady is when it's clutch time, they both pass the ball to their teammates

:o ohboy..
infintybeyond
Rookie
And1: 1,799

Post#12 » by infintybeyond » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:59 am

Cyrusman122000 wrote:Please never compare Lebron to Tom Brady. Duncan or Kobe is the Brady version of the NBA. Brady has only played for one team and one coach his while career. Lebron has been on 2 different teams soon to be 3 by next summer and has played for so many coaches it's not the same
Kobe or Duncan is a much better comparison to Brady
Lebron is more of a Peyton Manning

I agree. Tom Brady/Bill Belicheat 5/7 Superbowls. Tim/Pop 5/6 Championships. Kobe/Phil 5/7 Championships. Both Tim and Kobe have the chips and maintained success with their respective coaches. Tim has the longevity of one coach while Kobe has the popularity. So, it's either Kobe or Timmy that matches Brady the most. All 3 do what is needed of them and don't really care about stats.

Lebron most resembles Peyton Manning to me. Both have MONSTER stats and are extremely popular. Both have multiple regular season MVPs. They are the most talked about on ESPN and are constantly on TV. Peyton 2/4 Bowls. Lebron 3/8 Chips. Both choke or get rattled when the pressure hits.
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,863

Post#13 » by 510TWSS » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:08 am

Neither LeBron is a closer comp to Steve Jobs or Bill Gates. Similar TS% on similar USG%
KrAzY3
Starter
And1: 2,527

Post#14 » by KrAzY3 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:40 am

Neither

Brady is arguably the Jordan of football.
Duncan is a quiet all time great who won championships without leaving to chase after super-teams.

Lebron is great, but if I'm going to compare him to anyone it would be more someone like Wilt.
RightToCensor
Head Coach
And1: 7,410

Post#15 » by RightToCensor » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:50 am

Lebron is more like Bill Russell to me in terms of leadership, making teammates better, and dominating his conference.
ShazamDaShiznt
Analyst
And1: 4,766

Post#16 » by ShazamDaShiznt » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:56 am

oh god the offseason topics...

you cant compare a quarterback legacy to nba player

quarterbacks are one dimensional players. Guys like Bron do it all on both ends of the floor. Comparing Bron to somebody like Manning is a disrespect to Lebron's legacy. The white quarterbacks are VERY overrated in the nfl league for obvious reasons.

Bron is popular worldwide, meanwhile outside of America nobody cares about Tom Brady or Peyton Manning

Leave Race out of it.
Last edited by bwgood77 on Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Warning issued
Tinseltown
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,917

Post#17 » by Tinseltown » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:06 am

KrAzY3 wrote:Neither

Brady is arguably the Jordan of football.
Duncan is a quiet all time great who won championships without leaving to chase after super-teams.

Lebron is great, but if I'm going to compare him to anyone it would be more someone like Wilt.

Agree with neither but LeBron is a better player than Jordan and Wilt

One nice thing about NFL fans is that they can admit current players are better than past players and the game itself has improved over time. Whereas NBA fans live in this weird nostalgic fantasy where they think a guy from the 90s could compete with modern players despite 30 years of advances in medicine and physical training.
KrAzY3
Starter
And1: 2,527

Post#18 » by KrAzY3 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:23 am

Tinseltown wrote:Agree with neither but LeBron is a better player than Jordan and Wilt

Just so we're clear here, Wilt was 7'1 and reputed to be of enormous strength. One of, if not the strongest players ever in the NBA. He was a physical freak, not unlike Lebron who is also a freak of nature. Different era, yes, but the guy averaged 50 PPG one season. I'd absolutely put him up against a guy like Shaq.

As far as Jordan, you talk like he played 40 years ago. Jordan played in 2003 at the age of 39 and averaged 20 PPG, after shaking off the rust of retirement. Who else was playing that year? Dirk, Tony Parker, etc... So he was sharing the court with guys who are still effective NBA players, so this whole game has improved stuff is a bit of stretch.

I give Lebron his props, but c'mon, he isn't some transcendent superstar. If he was he'd already have run out of room on his fingers for rings.
LookToShoot
Veteran
And1: 1,489

Post#19 » by LookToShoot » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:04 pm

Tom Brady is a system QB, but a very good player and future hall of famer. So I'd say Duncan is a good comparison. Both of their teams consistently put up winning seasons and won championships.

In terms of skills and career disappointments, LeBron is the Peyton Manning/Donovan McNabb of basketball.
LeBird
Rookie
And1: 887

Post#20 » by LeBird » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:04 pm

KrAzY3 wrote:Just so we're clear here, Wilt was 7'1 and reputed to be of enormous strength. One of, if not the strongest players ever in the NBA. He was a physical freak, not unlike Lebron who is also a freak of nature. Different era, yes, but the guy averaged 50 PPG one season. I'd absolutely put him up against a guy like Shaq.

As far as Jordan, you talk like he played 40 years ago. Jordan played in 2003 at the age of 39 and averaged 20 PPG, after shaking off the rust of retirement. Who else was playing that year? Dirk, Tony Parker, etc... So he was sharing the court with guys who are still effective NBA players, so this whole game has improved stuff is a bit of stretch.

I give Lebron his props, but c'mon, he isn't some transcendent superstar. If he was he'd already have run out of room on his fingers for rings.

What utter nonsense. Basketball is a team game. If Jordan and Lebron swap teams the Bulls win more and the Cavs/Heat win less.

Return to The General Board