What Are the Odds the Lakers Make the Playoffs?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Eglend
Sophomore
And1: 105

Re: What Are the Odds the Lakers Make the Playoffs? 

Post#61 » by Eglend » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:22 am

.01%. On a sidenote I fail to see how the Lakers are being projected to be better than the Mavs when they are pretty much worse at every position besides starting point guard.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#62 » by Spens1 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:24 am

Eglend wrote:.01%. On a sidenote I fail to see how the Lakers are being projected to be better than the Mavs when they are pretty much worse at every position besides starting point guard.

KCP i'd argue is better than Wes Matthews, at least he should be next year (Wes Matthews was absolutely awful last year). Also Lopez is miles better than Nerlens Noel. Hell, offensively Zubac is probably better than Nerlens Noel.
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,619

Post#63 » by OdomFan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:25 am

none and I'm ok with that. They're doing a good job putting the pieces in place for the future.
76ers
Bench Warmer
And1: 773

Post#64 » by 76ers » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:33 am

Less than 5%.
Eglend
Sophomore
And1: 105

Post#65 » by Eglend » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:36 am

Spens1 wrote:
Eglend wrote:.01%. On a sidenote I fail to see how the Lakers are being projected to be better than the Mavs when they are pretty much worse at every position besides starting point guard.

KCP i'd argue is better than Wes Matthews, at least he should be next year (Wes Matthews was absolutely awful last year). Also Lopez is miles better than Nerlens Noel. Hell, offensively Zubac is probably better than Nerlens Noel.

I guess I agree on KCP, but i strongly disagree with Lopez being better than Noel. Even then the main point stands.
Biased_Fan6425
Starter
And1: 1,381

Post#66 » by Biased_Fan6425 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:36 am

Yes!

Contract year for a lot of players.

And One good trade can be a difference maker.

-ok, time to wake up now.
Lets go Lakers!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
ISayshowmee
Veteran
And1: 1,696

Post#67 » by ISayshowmee » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:46 am

51%
willywazza
Bench Warmer
And1: 412

Post#68 » by willywazza » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:53 am

Lakers make the playoffs this season in the stacked West?

You're joking right?
Gert42
Senior
And1: 207

Post#69 » by Gert42 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:53 am

I thought their range was 27-32 before they got KCP and I think it is still that, maybe the range goes to 29-34? Playoffs though seems to be highly unlikely. The Heat started out what 9-10 while they were trying to get used to each other and the Lakers will have three new starters, one of which is a rookie.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#70 » by Spens1 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:03 am

Eglend wrote:
Spens1 wrote:

I guess I agree on KCP, but i strongly disagree with Lopez being better than Noel. Even then the main point stands.

Noel is better at rebounding and maybe defending (could make the argument). But offensively Lopez is a 20PPG + center who stretches the floor which is something Noel has no hope of doing.

The Nets may not have won many games with Lopez, but last year without Lopez playing they won no games. None whatsoever.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#71 » by Darth Celtic » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:22 am

o%, and that's being nice
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#72 » by LakersSoul » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:14 am

Tiesto_Lakers wrote:I say 40/60.

Lonzo will be rookie of the year and the rest of our lineup is much better than last year. We got stronger at every position and got rid of the players who set bad examples and couldn't lead a team (Russell and Young).

G - Ball/Clarkson
G - Pope/Brewer
F - Ingram/Deng/Kuzma
F - Randle/Nance
C - Lopez/Zubac

Pretty good bench with guys who are due for a breakout year (Randle, Clarkson, Nance). At this point the top 6 teams in the West are GSW, SAS, HOU, MIN, OKC, and a tossup between NOP and DEN. The rest of the West is up for taking. I don't see how the Mavs, Suns, Blazers, Kings, or Clippers are better than the Lakers.

I believe the Lakers will be better than last year, maybe much better with a true closer in Lopez. Personally, I want what Ball has been doing in the summer to rub off on the team and play that exciting Showtime game throughout the season. That will be enough for me.

As for the playoffs, in honesty, I think the chances of the Lakers getting into the playoffs this year is low but not impossible. A lot of it depends on:

1. Ball. How quickly can he adjust to NBA and not the summer league NBA.
2. BI. How improved is Ingram? He looked good in his one game with a much stronger core strength.
3. How will Lopez/KCP adjust to Luke's system?
4. How much has Randle improved on his contract year?

I believe the Lakers will surprise to the upside and win 35-40 games. They might have a shot at that #8 spot especially if the teams fighting for the #8 spot struggle again this year. Last year Portland got the #8 seed with 41 wins.

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,962

Post#73 » by Phreak50 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:16 am

They won't win 30 games.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,488

Post#74 » by durden_tyler » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:29 am

Guaranteed 8th seed.

In the East.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,829

Post#75 » by Beethoven » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:44 am

We aren't making it to the playoffs guys. So don't worry about it. 8-)
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
[EverGreen]
Junior
And1: 168

Post#76 » by [EverGreen] » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:57 am

Tiesto_Lakers wrote: Lonzo will be rookie of the year

I read this and started to laugh. I knew this thread was going to be entertaining.

Not Lonzo has a good shot, not Lonzo is the best candidate ... Lonzo WILL win. I love SL.

They haven't got a hope in hell of making it this year. They'll be a force in a few years, but this season they will hand over that draft pick (finally).
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#77 » by The_Hater » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:10 am

:banghead:
Tiesto_Lakers wrote:I say 40/60.

That's the homer in you talking. More like 5/95 considering the strength of the WC.

Lonzo is going to make players better but the Lakers look like a bottom 3 defensive team once again after finishing dead last in 2016-17.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
TankShow
Sophomore
And1: 173

Post#78 » by TankShow » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:14 am

Slava wrote:Come on man.. I'd call it a success if they match last season's win total. The net rating of that starting line up if you use last season as an indicator is absolutely brutal.

Seriously?

The Lakers clearly have a better roster than last year. If they don't win more games then last year that will be an indictment against Luke if anything.

Lopez and Caldwell Pope are both huge upgrades over Mozgov & Clarkson.

Lonzo at worst should be what Russell was last year while being a much better distributor and playmaker.

Ingram will only continue to develop and improve his game.

Yeah they probably aren't a playoff team, but they should at least be 5-10 games better then last year.
Nowitness
General Manager
And1: 4,439

Post#79 » by Nowitness » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:16 am

0, I'd say take it as a W if they don't finish bottom 3. Lonzo can be great though, and be a league leader in assists outright imo
Nowitnessing a legend
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Post#80 » by Slava » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:19 am

TankShow wrote:
Slava wrote:Come on man.. I'd call it a success if they match last season's win total. The net rating of that starting line up if you use last season as an indicator is absolutely brutal.

Seriously?

The Lakers clearly have a better roster than last year. If they don't win more games then last year that will be an indictment against Luke if anything.

Lopez and Caldwell Pope are both huge upgrades over Mozgov & Clarkson.

Lonzo at worst should be what Russell was last year while being a much better distributor and playmaker.

Ingram will only continue to develop and improve his game.

Yeah they probably aren't a playoff team, but they should at least be 5-10 games better then last year.

You need an all star to make a 10 win jump.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:

Return to The General Board